Cole or Cam

Who do you start the last two weeks?

• Cam Fancher

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Cole Pennington

Votes: 76 97.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Trick Daddy actually tried it seemed, saw some plays that actually caught the D by surprise. The guy still isn’t good enough to hold the position, Huff better be seeking an improvement or at least a QB coach. Glad for the win but still need to close this huge offensive gap….. why the Oline can’t form a pocket and protect is beyond me.

Watching that 1st play from the endzone the left side nearly crossed over their feet trying to get to the rushers, should be letting the rusher come to them, bad coaching… guard got juked then his guy tip the pass for the INT.. sad

Wonder why they don’t have those cool handshakes and dances for allowing sacks and rushed passes.
Actually Howard Mudd would disagree with you.

M, but instead you point out a small detail nobody cares about.
It’s not a small detail. It’s a major detail. Having nearly two years in a program compared to a few months is a huge indication of growth, potential/ceiling.

And many people seemed to care about it by liking the comment. You were wrong, it’s an important point, and you’re wrong again.

If you can call a 6 year guy a senior you certainly can call a second year guy a freshman.
Uhhh, yeah. Nobody disputes that. He’s a redshirt freshman, not a true freshman like was claimed.

Reactions: Daywalker86
What is Huff going to do when Cam comes back from injury? Even though we have Pennington-colored glasses on, will politics and $$$ dictate the outcome??

Cam - 65% comp, 8 TDs, 11 INTs, Rating 124, QBR 39.6
Cole - 63% comp, 0 TDs, 3 INTs, Rating 103, QBR 17.6 (5 turnovers in 6 quarters)
Pennington's turnovers have in large part been due to a poor offensive line. The interception and fumble last night occurred when Pennington was hit while he was throwing the ball. A couple of our posters have suggested he needs to get rid of the ball quicker. Maybe that is true but on the interception the defensive player was barely touched by the O-line. Im not sure how fast Pennington can get rid of the ball when the defense has a straight shot at the QB.

In his previous game Pennington had an interception on a perfectly thrown deep pass down the sideline that he put right in the receivers hands. Unfortunately the receiver let it bounce off his hands right to the DB. Again, that wasnt his fault. Now Im not going to claim Pennington looks great out there because he doesnt. He looks like a freshman QB that will make some good throws and will make some bad throws. He doesnt look as good as Grant Wells as a freshman for example but he looks as good as Fancher right now and Fancher has two seasons experience as a starting QB. Pennington can get better and that is why I think you ride with him the rest of the year and see how he does. We already know what we have with Fancher. We have seen it for two years now.

I can't believe people are even questioning who you start. For the past few weeks our offense couldn't have scored at women's prison with a handful of pardons.

You go with 12. Easy decision.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
And many people seemed to care about it by liking the comment. You were wrong, it’s an important point, and you’re wrong again.
You couldn't be any more petty if you tried. People that liked my post did so because they were concerned I mislabeled Pennington as true freshman?

You had a chance to contribute meaningful content to this thread, but instead, you chose to sound like a kid, pouting as more proof of Huff's poor decision making comes to light.

Huff should have made the switch sooner, but as you claimed, he chose Fancher because he gave us our best chance at winning.

Only problem is you and B- Huff were both wrong.

People that liked my post did so because they were concerned I mislabeled Pennington as true freshman?
No, they either were as clueless as you showed to be or were liking the main point of your post. The point I made was that for somebody with such a strong opinion and who claims to be right (see below), you should not use bogus support ("true freshman") to support your stance.

You had a chance to contribute meaningful content to this thread, but instead, you chose to sound like a kid, pouting as more proof of Huff's poor decision making comes to light.
That makes no sense. I'm not a Huff apologist. Hell, I was the most critical of him when he first started, taking on most of this board.

YOU had a chance to contribute meaningful content, but instead, you used bogus arguments.

Huff should have made the switch sooner, but as you claimed, he chose Fancher because he gave us our best chance at winning.

Only problem is you and B- Huff were both wrong.
You're clueless.

. Tell us again how every single one of the players you coached went into the NFL
Oh, this. Another moron trying to turn threads into being about me.

How about this: You know where I coached, when, and what positions. Why don’t you take 15 minutes to do the legwork and then report back here if it’s true (note: my claim is that every single starter in my position units who completed their eligibility signed either an NFL or CFL deal). There was one starter, the most talented of everybody I coached, who was kicked out of the program the year after I left in the middle of his junior season. He never played again and didn’t complete his eligibility.

It covers three QBs, three WRs, and two OLBs.

despite having played for bottom feeders like North Texas, Texas State and an HBCU.
That’s what makes it even more incredible/impressive. It’s not like I was coaching at schools who get a bunch of three, four, or five stars, yet I was able to turn them into NFL/CFL guys.

I’ll await your research.

Oh, this. Another moron trying to turn threads into being about me.

How about this: You know where I coached, when, and what positions. Why don’t you take 15 minutes to do the legwork and then report back here if it’s true (note: my claim is that every single starter in my position units who completed their eligibility signed either an NFL or CFL deal). There was one starter, the most talented of everybody I coached, who was kicked out of the program the year after I left in the middle of his junior season. He never played again and didn’t complete his eligibility.

It covers three QBs, three WRs, and two OLBs.

That’s what makes it even more incredible/impressive. It’s not like I was coaching at schools who get a bunch of three, four, or five stars, yet I was able to turn them into NFL/CFL guys.

I’ll await your research.

I'm not gonna lie, I could care less where you coached. I have no idea and don't care to find out. Plenty of coaches are morons (look at the history of Marshall football). You're being petty, and what is worse... you're trying to prove you're the smartest guy in the room on all of these posts about QB play. Just stop dude. It is a message board for fans where we are going to voice our opinion. Either be a coach or be a fan. But you can't be both.

Plenty of coaches are morons
More fans are morons. Just look at the ones who don't know the difference between "could care less" vs. "couldn't care less."

I'm not gonna lie, I could care less where you coached.
Oh, that's you.

you're trying to prove you're the smartest guy in the room on all of these posts about QB play.
Well, I am.

It is a message board for fans where we are going to voice our opinion.
Oh, is that what happens on fan message boards? I do the same. It's just that my opinion comes from a far more experienced and knowledgeable position than those of most fans.

More fans are morons. Just look at the ones who don't know the difference between "could care less" vs. "couldn't care less."

Oh, that's you.

Well, I am.

Oh, is that what happens on fan message boards? I do the same. It's just that my opinion comes from a far more experienced and knowledgeable position than those of most fans.

lol

Rifle, let me get this right. You had 8 players who went to the NFL or CFL. Just 8? I imagine you had a hell of a lot more players that you coached. They must have been real dumbasses and flunked out and didn't complete their eligibility. Get out of here with your fluffed up BS.

• Haha
Rifle, let me get this right. You had 8 players who went to the NFL or CFL. Just 8? I imagine you had a hell of a lot more players that you coached. They must have been real dumbasses and flunked out and didn't complete their eligibility. Get out of here with your fluffed up BS.
Reading comprehension is hard, huh? Focus on the word “starters,” then come back and talk about “dumbasses,” moron.

How’s the research coming, @mlblack16. ?

Reading comprehension is hard, huh? Focus on the word “starters,” then come back and talk about “dumbasses,” moron.

How’s the research coming, @mlblack16. ?

The onus is on you, ya stupid piece of shit.

You're the one making the claim that every player you coached from these rink dink programs all made it as starters in the NFL.

Do your own work to prove it. It shouldn't be too hard (that's what she said). But you also need to prove you were on staff at any given program, and you don't get to claim someone you encountered for 3 months before you bolted to the next program as someone you coached.

Your attempt to push it onto me is laughable at best. Frankly, I know you're embellishing, just like you do with everything else, because ya know, insecure AF.

The onus is on you, ya stupid piece of shit.
Nope. That’s not how it works. You claimed that I was lying. So prove it. And what type of moron would call somebody with far superior intelligence to them “stupid,” stupid?

You're the one making the claim that every player you coached from these rink dink programs all made it as starters in the NFL.

So now you’re fabricating more lies in an attempt to save face.

Nope. That’s not how it works. You claimed that I was lying. So prove it. And what type of moron would call somebody with far superior intelligence to them “stupid,” stupid?

So now you’re fabricating more lies in an attempt to save face.
Stop deflecting.

No one (except your pals Aaron and Greed) would agree that it's on me to prove.

I challenged your original claim and now you want me to sort through your ungoogle-able career?

You scarcely show up for anything other than what you're really known for in the coaching industry, SCANDAL.

Reactions: 19MU88
i hope someone with some sense can answer this question: Why after a few posts on most every debatable original post go off topic and on to the individuals who reside here.

The question Cole vs Cam when Cam is healthy.

My 2 cents:

First Cam, he does not seem to be able to throw a pass longer than 10 yards, He has seemed to get very skittish in the pocket the last 5 or 6 games he played in. His only positive I can think of is he is mobile when fully healthy (With our O-line that is a plus). Team does not seem to gather around him and pick things up recently.

Second Cole: Decent accuracy much farther than 10 yards. not much game experience. seemed to get better as the game went on (which bodes well for potential improvement). The team, both sides of the ball, seems to pick things up from almost the first snap of the ball.

So for me it should be Cole. Mostly because of the energy he seemed to bring to the team, and give him a shot for improvement, I see zero improvement in Cam going forward.

Watched BG and Toledo last night. Like just about every game I have watched this fall (FCS and D2 as well), their QB's were MUCH better than ours. Sad.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Should a starter lose his position because of an injury? Cam was ineffective because he was hurt. If he’s healthy he should play. Cole came in because he was the backup. I believe he played well and got the win but that was what was expected of him. I’m very much aware that Cam is not a very good passer but he can scramble and he has won some games for us. I would think how they perform in practice this week will tell the story.

Should a starter lose his position because of an injury? Cam was ineffective because he was hurt. If he’s healthy he should play. Cole came in because he was the backup. I believe he played well and got the win but that was what was expected of him. I’m very much aware that Cam is not a very good passer but he can scramble and he has won some games for us. I would think how they perform in practice this week will tell the story.
The answer is 'yes' if the replacement is better.

Reactions: sluggo72
I think we should have a two QB backfield, with a running back. Imagine the alternatives on every snap. What would the defense prepare for, Fancher, Pennington and Ali in the backfield at the snap; to whomever it may go. Can you imagine not knowing if Pennington was going to hand off to Ali, Fancher, or pass the ball, or if Fancher was going to hit Pennington in the early slot, hand off to Ali, or pass down field, maybe even run the QB dive or draw. We certainly need some surprises going forward to ensure the extra practices earned by getting a bowl game.

Apparently you haven't read the different critiques of why Cam is no longer effective as our QB1 and it has very little to do with his injury.

Cam offers zero threat of passing, so defenders are crowding the box and taking away his one attribute, being mobile. Sure, he can still get lucky here and there on a scramble, but it's nothing like in the first 4 games.

Putting Cam back in as a starter is just plain dumb. He may have lost his job last week due to injury, but it needs to be a permanent change due to his poor performance and lack of passing abilities. In this regard, he isn't just kinda bad, he's statistically awful.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Watched some of the Nichols St and NE Lousiana game last night - both their QB's threw the ball better than anyone we have. UGH!

Cam has largely been ineffective since he's taken over. He is extremely limited as a passer.

1. He has not won any games for us. It's been explained by several posters that Cam's contributions in wins has been pretty small and when it has fallen on him to lead the team to a win because either the defense is struggling on the running game has been ineffective or Laborn/Ali is out we weren't competitive in those games.

2. His scrambling/running has not been that much of a threat. Sure he's broken a couple here and there for nice gains, but he isn't killing opposing defenses or extending many drives as most of his scrambles have been indecisive and usually him making a panic move because his #1 target isn't there.

1. He has not won any games for us. It's been explained by several posters that Cam's contributions in wins has been pretty small and when it has fallen on him to lead the team to a win because either the defense is struggling on the running game has been ineffective or Laborn/Ali is out we weren't competitive in those games.
This board continues to get dumber by the week. Congratulations on contributing to that.

Reactions: ThunderCat98

Curious which particular games that Cam won for us. I'm not talking about his record as a starter, but games where he put the team on his back and won. We haven't had a qb do that in awhile unfortunately. Defense and rb's have won the games the past couple seasons.

Curious which particular games that Cam won for us. I'm not talking about his record as a starter, but games where he put the team on his back and won. We haven't had a qb do that in awhile unfortunately. Defense and rb's have won the games the past couple seasons.
When you say that Marshall hasn’t had a QB win a game in the past couple of seasons and that only RBs and defense have won games the past couple of seasons, you must be referring to the ODU game a month or two ago, right?

Marshall offense: 445 yards
Fancher: 278 passing yards, 84% completion percentage, 100+ yards rushing (380 yards of 445 for the team)
Ali: 79 rushing yards with a 2.8 yards per carry

Marshall defense: 35 points allowed, 340 rushing yards against with an 11 yard average per carry

You, like others on here, suffer from mob mentality.

Last edited:
When you say that Marshall hasn’t had a QB win a game in the past couple of seasons and that only RBs and defense have won games the past couple of seasons, you must be referring to the ODU game a month or two ago, right?

Marshall offense: 41 points, 445 yards
Fancher: 278 passing yards, 84% completion percentage, 100+ yards rushing (380 yards of 445 for the team)
Ali: 79 rushing yards with a 2.8 yards per carry

Marshall defense: 35 points allowed, 340 rushing yards against with an 11 yard average per carry

You, like others on here, suffer from mob mentality.

So in his best game he had 3 turnovers? You left that part out.

So in his best game he had 3 turnovers? You left that part out.
Oh. So you didn’t really want to know when Cam had won the game for Marshall or when Marshall had won without the defense/running game doing it. You actually wanted to know when Cam had a flawless game.

You should have just said that the first time instead of asking for what you really didn’t want the answer to.

Oh. So you didn’t really want to know when Cam had won the game for Marshall or when Marshall had won without the defense/running game doing it. You actually wanted to know when Cam had a flawless game.

You should have just said that the first time instead of asking for what you really didn’t want the answer to.

No, just pointing out you are claiming he won the game for us and maybe he did. Maybe he also almost cost us the game though. Depends on what stats you want to cherry pick for your argument and which stats you want to conveniently leave out that don't fit your argument.

Also, he had alot of yards and only 12 points he scored off of those yards. So 12 points, 3 turnovers.

Last edited:
No, just pointing out you are claiming he won the game for us and maybe he did. Maybe he also almost cost us the game though. Depends on what stats you want to cherry pick for your argument and which stats you want to conveniently leave out that don't fit your argument.

Also, he had alot of yards and only 12 points he scored off of those yards. So 12 points, 3 turnovers.

Nevermind him, Rifle has officially become the village idiot in his constant defending of a mediocre head coach and abysmal QB.

And for no second do I think he's being sincere with this. He's got some ulterior motives which could include just wanting to instigate arguments and troll posters.

Your argument is becoming worse and worse as we proceed.

So if Ali were to rush for 98 yards on a drive, but if Fancher had a QB sneak for one yard to get the TD, then Fancher should be the one given credit for that drive?

Fancher won the game for us. It’s clear by the overwhelming amount of production he had vs. anybody else on the offense and how much the defense was struggling that game. Maybe you’d like to change the argument again, because this one isn’t working out well for you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT