ADVERTISEMENT

College Athletics will Never be the Same

That is the other side of this deal. Lots of people have posted about how these coming AAA football and basketball leagues are going to have this “billion dollar TV contract”.

Really? Well how much is the AAA baseball contract? More or less zero. Even though AAA baseball is chock full of the equivalent of “five and four star” recruits.

By tying college names, and, especially in what the lefties call “fly over country” among non-alumni tying state and local pride; and among alumni and students, school pride, into it, the NCAA has figured out a way to market the minor leagues.

I really don’t see 100K people turning up for, nor millions tuning into, the Columbus Red and Grays versus the Suburban Detroit Blue and Golds. I damn sure don’t see much of anyone caring about the Huntington Green and Whites versus the Bowling Green Red and Blacks.
I agree with you. When your remove Alabama, Ohio State Buckeyes, Texas Longhorns, and all their throngs of people and $$ it won't work without that.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
They’re getting paid for their likeness. So basically if you’re a college b-ball player and you want to put on a camp, you can now get paid for this. Why is this an issue? Normal college students do this all the time. What’s wrong with Moss (or some kid like him) getting paid off his jersey number sales?

Really? Well how much is the AAA baseball contract? More or less zero.

What is this "baseball" you speak of? Is that the sport that hangs out with Soccer and Hockey at the low end of the public interest scale? I'm talking about Football and Basketball, the two most popular sports in the US by a country mile.

Where are all these minor league teams going to play football?

There is a $32 million dollar baseball field in Charleston, West Virginia (pop 48,000), built to host low-end Single A baseball team. It was built using state and federal funds, and has operated at a functional loss since the day it was constructed.

Over the past 20 years, over $13 billion of public funds have been used to construct professional sports stadiums in the US.

They’re getting paid for their likeness. So basically if you’re a college b-ball player and you want to put on a camp, you can now get paid for this. Why is this an issue? Normal college students do this all the time. What’s wrong with Moss (or some kid like him) getting paid off his jersey number sales?

Because these will not be “arms length” transactions. Say I am Joe Superfan and I am rich rich rich. And say I own, oh I don’t know, the Enormous Politically Connected Printing Company and I want to pay Johnny Fivestar $10M to endorce my new line of, oh I don’t know, mops.

Last edited:
Source:

Shane Acedera

Shane Acedera has been writing online sports articles since 2003 but have been a writer and a blogger since high school. an office employee by day and a sports storyteller by night.
This is where the forum marine should have retracted his other posts.

From the article:

Our source of information is the websites which are being searched or browsed most in America.

Source for that data:

None given
This is where the forum marine should have apologized to the rest of the forum.

Reactions: johns1124
This is where you cry to the mods and snitch on someone
why would you manufacture a outright lie? Ask any moderator on any forum across the world, and ask them if they've ever had any communication from me. You won't. Therefore, you're a fibber. Your take on youth soccer and little girl's volleyball was even more impressive than that.

why would you manufacture a outright lie? Ask any moderator on any forum across the world, and ask them if they've ever had any communication from me. You won't. Therefore, you're a fibber. Your take on youth soccer and little girl's volleyball was even more impressive than that.

Yeah, ok

You mean like they already do. Every other year we learn of some pay to play scandal at some university. USC, UNC, Miami, Kansas, and on and on. Now it will just be done in the open.

Or do we just want keep on not paying attention to the man behind a curtain.

Thats the thing, the public knowldege of a legal salary or payment "cap" is going to merely be a front for whats already going on.
Athletes are still going to be paid under the table huge sums of cash.

As for what Duke said about the unc scandal...thats what will kill the NCAA or any institution wanting to seek tax exempt status (which under the NCAA they have), but want to pay players.
This is a move I am certain they will try and will fail. Considering the mass alterarions to an academic program, to suit an athlete, to remain an eligible athlete, so the school can make money off of the athlete.
Absolutely no court of law is going to believe its for academics.
Those payments will be taxed, which could trickle to the network contracts to show the athletes, who are now legally paid by the school.
I bet they'll make an argument to get some sort of royalty from that...and any time its on TV...how actors get money from syndication so to speak.
Who knows where this will end up.

I can see the NCAA arguing this is wrong and opening up a whole can of worms when their financial scandals are re-visited.
They'll have to answer reasons for holding a monopoly on college sports.
They'll then say they're looking out for an athlete's academic interests...which will go all the way to probably little league.
Where networks of HS coaches have altered the academic system of hotbed HS programs, linked to the NCAA...setting up a well known academically disadvantaged youth, to wander through an AAU state school to play a sport they're good at and leave them with absolutely zero skills outside of said sport...because the school didn't give a damn.

Not only has this entire system been morally wrong for decades by failing to educate its athletes, it has been systemically wrong with the NCAA failing to execute laws it knows it should.
Then knowingly subjecting athletes via NCAA contracts to restrict their individual rights in the process.
The NCAA and more importantly the schools, hit the holy trinity of POS.

Burn the fu*ker down...

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT