ADVERTISEMENT

College football attendance

Good article here. Very real problem throughout college football.

Wait one darn minute! You mean Marshall isn't the only school that suffers from an attendance issue? According to some, I thought we just had shitty, fair weather fans. Damn shame.

Seriously, it is an issue that schools will have to address. Most students don't care about the game. Its a social event for a the first quarter, then look at their phones for a while, then leave to go get drunk.
Colleges are gonna have to adapt the minor league baseball thought process and make it an event for everyone, with constant activities going on. jmo. I don't envy them in that regard, but they need to do something or the fan bases will continue to shrink.

We'll see what Spears and Co. can come up with.

Good article here. Very real problem throughout college football.

This a real issue for probably the majority of college football teams. IMO this is a much bigger issue than people heading to the tail gate early. I would say it is not going to get better any time soon. Since the arrival of COVID in 2020 just about every area of life.Here is an article on the subject.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-ta...health-and-social-activities-during-covid-19/

People have changed many habits in the past couple of years. Today many prefer to stay home and watch their life go by on the big screen in the man cave instead of getting out and being social.

Last edited:
40 years ago, there was ONE GAME on TV.
30 years ago, there were maybe 5. All in standard def.
20 years ago, there were maybe 20 games. Standard def.
Today, every single game is on TV. In HD, with 8 or 10 in 4K. 8K will be the norm within 5 years. People actually bitch that the game is on one website rather than another.

Attending a single game is in competition with enjoying all those others. Yet, leaving out the beer, there is nothing different about our stadium than the day it opened. Same can be said all across the Division. Now, special places, most of the SEC, handful of Big 10, Clemson, Notre Dame will draw because it’s cultural. But attending live sports for most of the rest of us is becoming a harder sell every day.

We've had issues before issues were the trend. We've long had thousands in the parking lots that never attend the game and 1/3 of those inside the stadium never return after the half.

I’ve gone to many Marshall road games the staying in the parking lots and tailgating isn’t just a Marshall thing….happens everywhere. Just this year at Notre Dame and BG where you could lookout and see lots from the stadiums there were hundreds that were just there to tailgate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT