Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
Here are some names I have heard on the committee

Carl Lee
Madison Sayre
Gary White
Bill Noe
Mrs. McCommas
Someone needs to email them and tell them to contact Sean Lewis. Granted, on the surface, there doesn't seem to be much of a search going on. MU/Wvu/ local guys with ties, buddies, etc.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Someone needs to email them and tell them to contact Sean Lewis. Granted, on the surface, there doesn't seem to be much of a search going on. MU/Wvu/ local guys with ties, buddies, etc.
Agree but we really don't know what the committee is looking at. All we know is what Chuck and Grant want them to look at

• Haha
Reactions: ru4_mu2
Bill Noe is a smart dude, former Herd swimmer, pilot and business executive... The Marshall aviation school is named after him... I've met him a few times and he seems like the kind of person I would want on the committee.

Reactions: chuck1069
Someone needs to email them and tell them to contact Sean Lewis.

That's the guy whose team set records by allowing 410 (515 as a team) rushing yards and 8 rushing TDs (10 as a team) by one player in their most recent game, right? I just want to make sure we are talking about the same Sean Lewis.

Dr McComas is the Executive Director of student HELP center.

She's also the mother of the legendary "never punt" coach whose coaching ability has been well-documented in the NY Times, Business Insider, Bleacher Report, Deadspin, and SB Nation.

• Haha
Reactions: Sash19
She's also the mother of the legendary "never punt" coach whose coaching ability has been well-documented in the NY Times, Business Insider, Bleacher Report, Deadspin, and SB Nation.

You mean the guy that applied for college head coaching jobs because he was really good at NCAA football on XBox?... Never punt, onsides every kick, blitz on all downs that aren't 4th down, etc.

That's the guy whose team set records by allowing 410 (515 as a team) rushing yards and 8 rushing TDs (10 as a team) by one player in their most recent game, right? I just want to make sure we are talking about the same Sean Lewis.
If so I'm in favor of drawing a line through Sean's name, unless Clark Kent was gaining all those yards against him!

Every coach has a brain fart. I’d still take him over the retreads being discussed. Jmo

Reactions: captain jb22
Yep. Same one that's team averaged 48ppg.
Remember how bad Pruett's defense was in his last game as the DC at Florida? I remember one national criticizing Marshall for the hire because of it. It seemed to work out ok

Remember how bad Pruett's defense was in his last game as the DC at Florida? I remember one national criticizing Marshall for the hire because of it. It seemed to work out ok
No, more like 29 points per game. (Thank you google)
Maybe we should hire Kent States OC.

Yeah, they looked great on offense against Bowling Green (who went 0-5 and has averaged 2 wins per year over the last four years) and Akron (who is 1-22 over their last 23 games). They played 0-5 Bowling Green, 1-5 Akron, and 2-4 Eastern Michigan.

Unfortunately for Kent State, not every team is going to be as atrocious as half of their season was this year (they only played four games) and having a pulse on defense is just as important as having a pulse on offense.

Putting up 48 is useless if you give up 70.

You mean against the #1 ranked team in the national championship?

Pruett was Florida's DC in 1994 and 1995. In 1994, they finished 19th in the country in total defense. In 1995, they finished 20th in the country in total defense.

If you want to hire an SEC OC who finished 19th and 20th in total offense in back-to-back years, I'm good with that.

Reactions: mlblack16.
Everyone is giddy about Sean Lewis. I like him too, but Rifle brought up some interesting points. His defense isn't all that stellar and he has only been a coach for two season's at Kent State. They were the team that gave up 409 rushing yards and 8 TDs to Buffalo's RB. How many players did Kent State have out in that game?

Still let's take a deeper dive into Kent State under Lewis. His records at Kent State are 2-10, 7-6, and 3-1. Be honest. Did everyone that loves him now feel the same way about him last season.

Yes they looked good this season, but was that 3-1 record fools gold. Many claim our ranking this year was because of our schedule. That had we played our original schedule we wouldn't have been ranked that high or at least that early on.

Kent State's record consisted of beating 2-4 Eastern Michigan, 0-5 Bowling Green, and 1-5 Akron. The lone good team they face, Buffalo, beat them 70-41 with one player rushing for 400+ yards and 8 TDs. They gave up 514 total yards rushing in that game. Buffalo's other RB ran for 97 yards and 2 TDs. So Kent State gave up 10 rushing TDs in one game. I would imagine had he been our coach and done that, this site probably would have crashed. I bet even having players out wouldn't have mattered because we had half our OL out for Rice and no one will entertain that as an excuse.

Kent State was 123rd in rush defense. Even if you removed that Buffalo game they still gave up 178 yards per game to the 104th, 47th, and 84th rush offenses. I have no idea who they originally had schedule, but if they did play their full slate what do we think his record would have been? Let's say that they had 7-9 wins this season. Is Sean Lewis still your top pick?

I only post this because the reaction to him is like we'd be hiring the next big name. I have read posts saying exactly that. Kent Stat is very hard to win at I'll give him that.

I'll admit I didn't watch one second of Kent State football the last three seasons. For those that have. How does his offensive style compare to ours? Take your feelings for Doc out of it. In a vacuum on a play by play basis how does his offense compare? I'm genuinely curious. If he came in and kept Lambert for defense how much different would we have looked over the whole season. Not just the last three games. When our offense was actually humming how do they compare? Does he throw over the middle lol.

So far during his three years as HC he has a record of 12-17 and that breaks down as follows.
vs.500 or better teams he is 2-13 (0-6, 2-6, 0-1)
On the road he is 4-12 (1-6, 2-5, 1-1)
Against the P5 he is 0-6.

I'm not saying he would be a bad coach or I would even be mad at the hire, but are we taking 2020 for more than it's worth? Had they played their full run would he still be this appealing? I know their offensive stats were pretty darn impressive, but they didn't play anyone this year except for Buffalo and Buffalo pounded them. In record setting fashion.

I'm not saying he'd be a bad hire. I just keep reading posts like he's the next great thing. It's hard to win at Kent State.
I'll admit I haven't watched one second of Kent State over the last three years. How does his offense compare to ours? In a vacuum on a play-by-play basis how does his offense compare to our. Forgetting your feelings for Doc and how the season ended. When our offense was humming. How do they compare. If he keeps Lambert on as the DC what does our team look like in 2021 and in 2023 or 2024. Does he throw over the middle of the field lol.

Reactions: johns1124
It's not just his defense that leaves a lot to be desired. That is the norm for a head coach who focuses on high-tempo offense who only cares about scoring a ton of points. More concerning is how bad his special teams were this year. Cumulatively, they were one of the worst 10 teams in the country. In 2018. he also had one of the worst overall special teams units. Strangely, in 2019, he had a top 10 special teams programs.

That much fluctuation usually means bad schemes and simply relying on a talented/strong leg of a kicker and/or punter which corrects a lot of schematic and strategic issues.

Reactions: johns1124
If he keeps Lambert on as the DC what does our team look like in 2021 and in 2023 or 2024. Does he throw over the middle of the field lol.

It doesn't matter who is the DC. If you allow your offense to only go fast and try to score as much and as quickly as they can with no concern to the rest of the team, the defense is left out to dry.

Do you think Nick Saban suddenly stopped signing stud defenders and suddenly forgot how to coach defense? No. It's because they completely changed their strategy on offense which results in quicker transitions (either by punting or scoring faster) to the other side of the ball.

If your defense has to be on the field for more plays, they're going to give up more yards which translates to giving up more points.

Wonder how many rush yds/tds the Buffalo RB would have put up if he had played against us?

It doesn't matter who is the DC. If you allow your offense to only go fast and try to score as much and as quickly as they can with no concern to the rest of the team, the defense is left out to dry.

Do you think Nick Saban suddenly stopped signing stud defenders and suddenly forgot how to coach defense? No. It's because they completely changed their strategy on offense which results in quicker transitions (either by punting or scoring faster) to the other side of the ball.

If your defense has to be on the field for more plays, they're going to give up more yards which translates to giving up more points.
I agree with you, but I will offer you this. Our defense was out there for over half the snaps the last three games of the season. They were out there for 41 minutes against Rice and still those game were within a score of being our win. If the offense was putting up points our defense would have been able to hang.

We're also not facing that many quality offenses in this conference so if we could get good enough leads the games would be over in most cases.

I just wondered if his defense and maybe frenetic offense was because of having a bad DC. Much like in 2012 when we had to score 50 to even win a game.

Wonder how many rush yds/tds the Buffalo RB would have put up if he had played against us?
I guess it depends on when we played them. In the bowl probably about 150. Our defense still played pretty well considering the hand they were dealt the last three games of the season. If the offense strings together just one TD or a TD and FG drive in the first half of either Rice or UAB it's a much different story.

You could see UAB starting to panic a little bit after we scored our first TD in the game. They started to get pre snap penalties they weren't having in the first half. They felt hurried. Our offense put no pressure on any of the last three teams.

So is this the thread where we starting arguing about our make believe head coach. Cool

question. To maintain green sunshine pumper status do I need to be pro Lewis or anti Lewis. Thanks in advance. I would hate to defend the wrong side.

So is this the thread where we starting arguing about our make believe head coach. Cool

question. To maintain green sunshine pumper status do I need to be pro Lewis or anti Lewis. Thanks in advance. I would hate to defend the wrong side.

Can you imagine having both you and Coach Stowers on the selection committee?

"Nick Saban? Yes, we will take him. He's awesome!"
"Mark Snyder? Definitely, let's do what it takes to get him in green."
"My son's youth soccer coach? Sign him up - he does a great job motivating the kids even when he is hammered at half of the practices."
"The guy in the orange jumpsuit who has four more months to serve? Absolutely. He had a good relationship with the 14 players under John who went to the slammer."

Can you imagine having both you and Coach Stowers on the selection committee?

"Nick Saban? Yes, we will take him. He's awesome!"
"Mark Snyder? Definitely, let's do what it takes to get him in green."
"My son's youth soccer coach? Sign him up - he does a great job motivating the kids even when he is hammered at half of the practices."
"The guy in the orange jumpsuit who has four more months to serve? Absolutely. He had a good relationship with the 14 players under John who went to the slammer."
I wonder if he and Coach Stowers are like those women at a ball game that stand up and cheer after the other team completes a 35 yard pass on us but our guy makes a tackle? I am over there mumbling something about the Lord and they are over there clapping because our guy made a shoe string tackle.

I wonder if he and Coach Stowers are like those women at a ball game that stand up and cheer after the other team completes a 35 yard pass on us but our guy makes a tackle? I am over there mumbling something about the Lord and they are over there clapping because our guy made a shoe string tackle.

You actually go to games?

Reactions: Aaron Perkins
not this year. I did go to one college football game this year but it did not involve MU.

Tell him that you go to Duke games, and it will eat him up. That's his favorite team, you know? Good thing Marshall doesn't recruit against them. He would probably give them inside info on recruiting like the former board owner (red-on-the-head-like-a-dick-on-a-dog) used to do for Charlotte.

Reactions: mlblack16.
Tell him that you go to Duke games, and it will eat him up. That's his favorite team, you know? Good thing Marshall doesn't recruit against them. He would probably give them inside info on recruiting like the former board owner (red-on-the-head-like-a-dick-on-a-dog) used to do for Charlotte.
You're joking right???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT