ADVERTISEMENT

Concerns about AAC tv deal if Houston, UCONN and or UC leave?

Honestly College football needs to go to 8 Conferences. P4 and G4 with the Big XII breaking up and CUSA breaking up between the MW and the AAC then merging with the Sun Belt

Reactions: HerdFan76
Of the P5, the Big 12 is easily the weakest and most likely to fall apart. It is completely dependent on the whims of UT, and that is its greatest weakness.

Hope its sooner, rather than later. Then I guess the mighty EERS will be trying to get into an expanded Mountain East Conference, maybe with North and South divisions. :D Well, we can all hope!!

Reactions: WV_Celt
I didn't know that Herdfan, I honestly assumed those teams brought more to Huntington, especially Ohio. I have been to the OU Marshall game multiple times but only in Athens and it's usually a great crowd, although that stadium is not big. ECU is definitely good with fan base but I actually predict they'll be the 4th team in the Big 12. Hope I'm wrong
Key word---ASSUME. MAC did not travel.

Honestly College football needs to go to 8 Conferences. P4 and G4 with the Big XII breaking up and CUSA breaking up between the MW and the AAC then merging with the Sun Belt

I think that is a plausible scenario but if it happens, I think the "new P4" will expand to 16 teams each. No current P5 school will be left behind. The gap between P4 and the"new G4" will become even larger.

I think the college football model most of us have grown up with is gone forever.

Reactions: I Herd dat
I didn't know that Herdfan, I honestly assumed those teams brought more to Huntington, especially Ohio. I have been to the OU Marshall game multiple times but only in Athens and it's usually a great crowd, although that stadium is not big. ECU is definitely good with fan base but I actually predict they'll be the 4th team in the Big 12. Hope I'm wrong

No they don't because the students and alumni of those schools are usually at home watching Ohio St or Michigan play instead of going to games. Going back to the MAC is not an option and would slowly kill all of the progress we have made and ultimately end the program as a top G5 school.

So JMU, Liberty, Charlotte, UTSA, FIU, FAU, UTEP, and North Texas are needle movers?

Those same fans you question about attending Thursday night games against BGSU were not going to Thursday night games against UCF.

Of course the local media (i.e. Chuck Landon) would rail against it because it's what they do.

Some can choose to live in this fantasy world that CUSA 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0 are somehow gate boomers but the numbers show otherwise.

The casual fan hasn't shown up since the very first game back in 1992 except for P5 teams and homecoming games. Heck championship and playoff games have produced some of the lowest attendance numbers in the history of The Joan.

I don't want to go back to the MAC unless push came to shove. I'd rather go to the AAC IF they take the only teams that matter in this conference.

However I have zero desire to stay in a conference that is made up of FCS teams and start ups.

why does anyone on this board believe MU can go back to the MAC just because it wants to? There were many hard feelings when they left and many of the same people are still there..........don't assume that this would be easy.

The MAC is very stable and very happy with who they are

Reactions: Herdmeister
why does anyone on this board believe MU can go back to the MAC just because it wants to? There were many hard feelings when they left and many of the same people are still there..........don't assume that this would be easy.

The MAC is very stable and very happy with who they are

And indeed they ALWAYS have been which is why we should go independent before ever even considering the MAC.

All this gloom and doom Dan. Why?

Ga Tech just lost their AD this week to Purdue and Atlanta talk radio has been crucifying him....he left the ACC for the Big 10 Purdue that we BEAT last year. I'm worried they call Hamrick.

The world is going to turn. Marshall will survive and even thrive. If you would have told me when I was in school I would have season tickets on the 50 yard line with a possible Top 10 ACC school coming to play us, and that we have a real shot to win, I would have laughed you out of the classroom.

Best school in the state, we will survive and yes, thrive.

And indeed they ALWAYS have been which is why we should go independent before ever even considering the MAC.

All this gloom and doom Dan. Why?

Ga Tech just lost their AD this week to Purdue and Atlanta talk radio has been crucifying him....he left the ACC for the Big 10 Purdue that we BEAT last year. I'm worried they call Hamrick.

The world is going to turn. Marshall will survive and even thrive. If you would have told me when I was in school I would have season tickets on the 50 yard line with a possible Top 10 ACC school coming to play us, and that we have a real shot to win, I would have laughed you out of the classroom.

Best school in the state, we will survive and yes, thrive.

no gloom and doom from me......just responding to what other people write. Personally, I think we control our own destiny. Ball is in Marshall's court assuming Big XII ever actually chooses to do anything relative to expansion...... how we choose to move or not move is up to those employed to make those decisions, I just hope they consider it very carefully and really weigh all of the options and opportunities.

I had this discussion with Mike Farrell when he was interim President: Your greatest fear regarding realignment should be waking up some morning and finding that all of the schools you want to align with have gone elsewhere while you slept and you find yourself without a home that makes sense.

Personally, I think we control our own destiny. Ball is in Marshall's court assuming Big XII ever actually chooses to do anything relative to expansion...... how we choose to move or not move is up to those employed to make those decisions, I just hope they consider it very carefully and really weigh all of the options and opportunities.

I had this discussion with Mike Farrell when he was interim President: Your greatest fear regarding realignment should be waking up some morning and finding that all of the schools you want to align with have gone elsewhere while you slept and you find yourself without a home that makes sense

I'm certain Hamrick is in touch and working it BEHIND the scenes. Hopefully sending a letter that will be made public ala MTSU WONT happen. A slap in the face to CUSA from a school with an empty stadium but a decent hoops program. Still you don't lobby like that IMO.

This money grab, all this craziness is ruining the best sport in the nation, college football.

I will say this, the timing on getting the Doubletree couldn't have came at a better time. That alone may keep us in the running.

Reactions: The Real SamC
NBC is reporting that the Big XII will do video conferences with 17 schools and most likely will take only 2 schools. IF the AAC only takes 1 from CUSA, I see our chances of being asked as very slim. I believe that ODU location, both proximity to Navy, Temple and ECU along with recruiting hotbed gives them a leg up.

NBC is reporting that the Big XII will do video conferences with 17 schools and most likely will take only 2 schools.

First, Marshall is light years ahead of ODU in every way except the silly pre-cord cutter old timey idea that being IN a place is the same as being SIGNIFICANT IN that place and to thus abuse viewers into paying in-market rates for things they have no interest in. MU, in fact, is so obviously the first choice IF IN FACT THIS AAC IS REALLY A DESIREABLE STEP, it is undebatable.

As to the Big 12's candidates to become Little #9 and Little #10, the list is Cincinnati, Houston, BYU, USF, UCF, UConn, Memphis, Colorado State, Boise State, Tulane, Temple, East Carolina, SMU, and New Mexico.

Obviously this is an auction in reverse. Who will take the least TV money for the five years remaining on the Big 12 contract? So discussions of logic and common sense are not relevant. Who is willing (and able) to do what WVU does, which is be a field filler for $$, with the added step of not getting most (or any) of those $$ for five or six years. Therefore my money is on New Mexico, BYU, Colorado State, SMU, or, yes, Tulane, have the $$ to sustain themselves in the short term.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT