ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Realignment Proposal..

I would sign up for the east west idea yesterday. Less travel (huge benefit for basketball and other sports). No worse a conference than what we have now.

That would actually be a step down in SOS, in my opinion. We'd lose out on solid CUSA programs Southern Miss and LaTech and get who in return? Appalachian State and Georgia Southern would probably be the 2 strongest 'gains' in that scenario.

That would actually be a step down in SOS, in my opinion. We'd lose out on solid CUSA programs Southern Miss and LaTech and get who in return? Appalachian State and Georgia Southern would probably be the 2 strongest 'gains' in that scenario.

The best case scenario is that when Oklahoma and Texas destroy the "Big" 12 by moving up to one of the power 4 conferences, some of the leftovers create a G5 (G6 then) conference with some of our Texas teams. Or there is a general reshuffle between the AAC and the "Big" 12 leftovers, with or without CUSA or MWC involvement. CUSA would be a reasonable sized conference without Texas.

Also hearing rumors that Hawaii is (yet again) on the brink of cashing in its chips relative to football. Live gate is a joke, and the stadium is apparently is really bad shape. If so, then UTEP could slide into the MWC. El Paso is in the Mountain Time Zone and closer to LA than it is to the nearest non-Texas CUSA member (Louisiana Tech). In fact it over 600 miles from the next CUSA member.

The conference footprint is just KILLING all of our sports but football.

Leaving that out, I think Appy State is solid. Coastal Carolina, unlike all the vaunted "potential" adds to CUSA like ODU and UNCC, actually seems to have some potential. The two Georgia schools seem to have some money to spend, if nothing else.

since 2012, Sagarin has the Sun Belt ahead of CUSA East 3 times and West 4 times in 5 seasons.

2014 was the only year CUSA East and West were both ranked higher...

The best case scenario is that when Oklahoma and Texas destroy the "Big" 12 by moving up to one of the power 4 conferences, some of the leftovers create a G5 (G6 then) conference with some of our Texas teams. Or there is a general reshuffle between the AAC and the "Big" 12 leftovers, with or without CUSA or MWC involvement. CUSA would be a reasonable sized conference without Texas.

Also hearing rumors that Hawaii is (yet again) on the brink of cashing in its chips relative to football. Live gate is a joke, and the stadium is apparently is really bad shape. If so, then UTEP could slide into the MWC. El Paso is in the Mountain Time Zone and closer to LA than it is to the nearest non-Texas CUSA member (Louisiana Tech). In fact it over 600 miles from the next CUSA member.

The conference footprint is just KILLING all of our sports but football.

Leaving that out, I think Appy State is solid. Coastal Carolina, unlike all the vaunted "potential" adds to CUSA like ODU and UNCC, actually seems to have some potential. The two Georgia schools seem to have some money to spend, if nothing else.
I have had this stance for a while, but Coastal can earn its strips in the belt before talk of sharing anything with them. I'd be fine with App and Georgia Southern, the rest, including JMU can pound sand. That would make an already horrendous conference even more unacceptable and further destroy interest in our program, something we can not afford right now given the state of things.

Agree about JMU. The conference has already been damaged by startup programs and I-AA move ups that have all this "potential". I don't see JMU moving up and I don't see any potential if they did. Pretty much just alums and locals. Way to close to the two major programs in the state, especially UVa, to get more traction.

Contrasted to, and I agree CCU need to prove it really can hang at the LOWER LEVEL that is the Sun Belt (here somebody with insert some idiocy from Jeff Sagarin, who makes the political pollsters' work look good) before moving on up, which has an absolutely booming local population, much of it retiree from other states with no particular sports loyalities (at least not at this level) and lots of free time and $$. And, re MU, a long relationship between the Grand Strand and southern WV.

ODU (9-3, 7-1) lost to Appy 31-7
USM (6-6, 4-4) lost to Troy 37-31

that makes CUSA 0-2 vs the Sun Belt this year. believe it or not, but Sagarin actually takes those head 2 head games into account when rating the conferences...

keep pretending the Sun Belt is "LOWER LEVEL"...

Perception it is Andy............that's all Sam was saying. Right now we aren't that far above them with perception because of the start up programs and the F_U schools we took

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT