ADVERTISEMENT

Cool change in the CUSA tourney structure....

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
Hey - didn’t know if it has been discussed, but they are going to be using 2 separate courts for the 1st two rounds of the tournament. Court “A” & Court “B”. Start times split 1/2 hour apart on each court (ala NCAA set-up) Good move IMO......thoughts?

Hey - didn’t know if it has been discussed, but they are going to be using 2 separate courts for the 1st two rounds of the tournament. Court “A” & Court “B”. Start times split 1/2 hour apart on each court (ala NCAA set-up) Good move IMO......thoughts?

Does this mean
the officials will not have whistles...but use hand signals? I have not been to the facility...but I HERD the courts are side by side & separated by a curtain?

Zilla22

Does this mean the officials will not have whistles...but use hand signals? I have not been to the facility...but I HERD the courts are side by side & separated by a curtain?

Zilla22
I am sure the thought is (given my guess that the amount of seating around each court is not that many) that they would count on crowd noise for each court to block the sound from the other?

85156.jpg

I know when I used to play in a similar type of situation in a YMCA league, the officials would just recognize that there was a misunderstanding and we’d just reinbound the ball and play on.

In typical CUSA fashion, I’m sure this will be first class and not seem like joke at all...

I wonder if when there are two REALLY close games being played at the same time, if they’ll just pull back the curtain and broadcast both games at once. Really give a unique watching experience.

I know when I used to play in a similar type of situation in a YMCA league, the officials would just recognize that there was a misunderstanding and we’d just reinbound the ball and play on.

In typical CUSA fashion, I’m sure this will be first class and not seem like joke at all...

I wonder if when there are two REALLY close games being played at the same time, if they’ll just pull back the curtain and broadcast both games at once. Really give a unique watching experience.

Since The Star is a football facility first.... I
support it will be mighty quiet on both Court A & Court B. When the Tournament was in Birmingham...it was an easy drive for schools like MTSU, MARSHALL, So. Miss, La Tech, ODU, & WKY...for schools that support their teams.

I bet you will be capable to fire a shotgun in both A & B and not hit anyone.

CUSA...as Bill Walton says...."WELCOME to the Conference of Champions"....another BS Claim (Pac 10)...it has been a long time since the PAC 10 cut down the nets!

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Lord, Help me to remember that nothing is going to happen today that you & I can't handle together.

UCLA, led by West Virginia native Jim Harrick, won the national championship 23 years ago in 1995. At least its more recent than Marshall's last appeareance in the Big Dance.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Danny hates it. Suppose you win on court A and the team you play next won on court B. When you have to play them you are on B. That is an advantage for them.
Also many of us enjoyed seeing 11 games in 4 days. Can't do that now even though the tickets costs is the same $180 that it was will 11 games.

I am sure the thought is (given my guess that the amount of seating around each court is not that many) that they would count on crowd noise for each court to block the sound from the other?

"Crowd noise"? Really, W-S? This IS CUSA, after all, where the terms "crowd noise" and "crowd control" do not indicate their normal meanings.

Welcome to the CUSA Basketball Tournament, or as it is known in Frisco, TX, "the ticket scalper's WORST nightmare"!!

This is straight bush league. There’s nothing cool about it. What it says is that no one else wanted the girls tournament and the guys tournament wouldn’t draw enough to need it’s own venue. Why the conference members continue to allow conf commisionier to remain on the job is baffling

This is straight bush league. There’s nothing cool about it. What it says is that no one else wanted the girls tournament and the guys tournament wouldn’t draw enough to need it’s own venue. Why the conference members continue to allow conf commisionier to remain on the job is baffling
That is something that ALL CUSA fans want to know. She is terrible.

Danny hates it. Suppose you win on court A and the team you play next won on court B.

Really? So which of two identical temporary basketball courts are assembled identically on an IPF that a team has played on once or twice before is an advantage?

If it comes down to that, then we are all in trouble.

This is straight bush league. There’s nothing cool about it.

Having the tournament on a neutral floor (and, no the BJCC is not really a neutral floor) is a move forward for the league, IMHO. All of the major and most of the mid-major leagues play a tournament not on a team's home court. We have mostly played on the home floor of a team that thought it was going to win that year. Birmingham, El Paso, Memphis, and Tulsa (albeit not UAB or Tulsa actual home floor) as more or less an extension of the host team's regular season schedule. Playing in the Dallas suburbs and being associated with the Cowboys is better than giving UAB four extra home games in an old building that bigger leagues and NCAA regionals quit using decades ago in that garden spot of prosperity and crossroads of America, Birmingham, Alabama.

This is a spread out league. The conference tournament is an event for hardcore fans only except for one or two schools due to distance, and if the Title IX people would let us, the women's tournaament could be held at a middle school and have seats left over. It is a heck of a lot easier to get to Dallas than Birmingham or El Paso.

Where exactly should the tournament be held and what, exactly, is your plan for making any money on that at all?

This is way superior to giving UAB, or UTEP, extra home games. THAT is bush league.

Really? So which of two identical temporary basketball courts are assembled identically on an IPF that a team has played on once or twice before is an advantage?

If it comes down to that, then we are all in trouble.

Having the tournament on a neutral floor (and, no the BJCC is not really a neutral floor) is a move forward for the league, IMHO. All of the major and most of the mid-major leagues play a tournament not on a team's home court. We have mostly played on the home floor of a team that thought it was going to win that year. Birmingham, El Paso, Memphis, and Tulsa (albeit not UAB or Tulsa actual home floor) as more or less an extension of the host team's regular season schedule. Playing in the Dallas suburbs and being associated with the Cowboys is better than giving UAB four extra home games in an old building that bigger leagues and NCAA regionals quit using decades ago in that garden spot of prosperity and crossroads of America, Birmingham, Alabama.

This is a spread out league. The conference tournament is an event for hardcore fans only except for one or two schools due to distance, and if the Title IX people would let us, the women's tournaament could be held at a middle school and have seats left over. It is a heck of a lot easier to get to Dallas than Birmingham or El Paso.

Where exactly should the tournament be held and what, exactly, is your plan for making any money on that at all?

This is way superior to giving UAB, or UTEP, extra home games. THAT is bush league.
Better get on the phone to the conference offices and tell them to find a neutral site for the football championship game. If THAT is so bush league.

So, in other words, you have no plan for a place to hold the event.

As to football, the ACC, SEC, Pac 12, Big 10 and Big 12 say "hi".

Having the mens tourney on a neutral floor is a good idea... I don't even have a problem with it being at an NFL practice facility... But the two floor setup is stupid.

Nothing screams "welcome to the annual YMCA 9-10 year old championship" like two gyms divided by a curtain.

In a perfect world, why not have the mens tourney on a neutral floor in a location that rotates (IE, Dallas, Nashville, Atlanta). And then let whoever wins the girls regular season host the girls tournament (since crowd size and accommodations are not a concern)?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
In a perfect world, why not have the mens tourney on a neutral floor in a location that rotates (IE, Dallas, Nashville, Atlanta). And then let whoever wins the girls regular season host the girls tournament (since crowd size and accommodations are not a concern)?

I think the Title IX cops would object to treating the women any differently from the men, in any event, you have the issue of getting 11 teams to and then accomodated in places like Huntington, Hattiesburg, Bowling Green, or Ruston, on perhaps 3 days' notice.

As to Atlanta or Nashville, or somewhere else in Dallas, AFAIK, none of these places bid. The Cowboys did.

The Cowboys are a class outfit. I am willing to wait and see, but I bet the curtain is a bit more than what they have at the Y.

BTW, this is only the first two days. And for Marshall, only one. The MU men are pretty certain to finish 4th and get a bye on day one, and the MU women are in last place and won't play at all.

I would not be quick to say we have the 4th seed, I think if N TX does not beat USTA, Rice won't and our road trip is a 50-50 chance we win at UAB (ESPN matchup predictor has us at 28% chance to win) and 10-90 at Middle, if that happens and USTA wins both we lose on the tie breaker.

herdfan is right on the $. We have to hope the Mean Green is motivated to win! Rice could help us, but the NT game is the most likely loss for RRunners. We just have to take care of biz Thurs in B-ham and then the game Sat nite vs MT zhould be must watch TV for herdland....

I would not be quick to say we have the 4th seed, I think if N TX does not beat USTA, Rice won't and our road trip is a 50-50 chance we win at UAB (ESPN matchup predictor has us at 28% chance to win) and 10-90 at Middle, if that happens and USTA wins both we lose on the tie breaker.

I would be careful of saying things like that.

UCLA, led by West Virginia native Jim Harrick, won the national championship 23 years ago in 1995. At least its more recent than Marshall's last appeareance in the Big Dance.

jockey....comparing apples to oranges
...a program as storied as UCLA and with the number of HS talented players in So. California....UCLA should have cut the nets a lot more in today's modern era---- than 23 years ago. NORTH CAROLINA has three national basketball titles [2005, 2009, & 2017] since UCLA won in 1995.

Zilla22

Well if this is the future of CUSA, with piss poor leadership, I would not be against MAC membership. This is more bush league than the MAC was when we left, combined with the crap TV deals we still know nothing about and the demise of the conference as a whole.............whats left to say.

All I am seeing here is a lot of griping.

Blunt facts are that CUSA exists for FOOTBALL. Basketball and all the rest are just something we play together because we have to. Other than WKU and occasionally UNCC, we would never play any of these schools in basketball or anything else. Further, MOST (not us and not all, but most) CUSA schools see basketball as a "have to" rather than a "want to" sport. They exist for FOOTBALL. And, the conference is, by far, the most spread out of the mid-major to one-bid basketball leagues. By far.

All that added together means that the CUSA basketball tournament is a sketcky proposition. It is not going to sell out an NBA arena ANYWHERE.

So the league has these choices:

- Like the MAC, and a lot else, rent out an NBA arena and play before pretty much nobody. The MAC with one-fourth the footprint of CUSA will still draw a few hardcores and maybe some students.
- Like CUSA used to, give four extra home games to one team and handicap every body else and if that team fails, play before even less.
- Be innovative, and get in partnership with JERRY F***ING JONES, a billionaire.

I have yet to read anyone else's plan for doing this low-potential deal better. This gets the tournaments done and may even make a few $$.

And, please somebody explain how attacking the gender of the conf. commish is acceptable.

Sam if the conference wants to make money, then attendance has to matter. It would be better to have a school host the conference championship that gets good attendance, ticket sales etc. Memphis used to be that for CUSA, UAB tried. Half the league doesn't have an arena that the conference wouldn't be embarrassed to play the tourney in. That leaves just a few. Why not have it at MT, or WKU, or MU, or ODU, at least the home crowd tends to support these schools. Neutral ground is fair, but it is also not smart in a league like this. It definitely won't make money, if it does it won't be much. Jerry Jones isn't gonna pay the conference bills or give us some lucrative TV offer. If things don't change, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if a separation was inevitable. The current configuration would have been just fine had TV deals not gone to crap, that was the first sign of things to come.

How can CUSA exist for football... When so many of the schools absolutely suck at football?

That's like saying I live to race Porsche's (as I drive my 1992 Ford Probe across town).

CUSA exists because a number of schools, like us, thought the grass would be greener 10 years ago by "moving up." Is it greener? I don't know, but that's how we got here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT