ADVERTISEMENT

Cool change in the CUSA tourney structure....

How can CUSA exist for football... When so many of the schools absolutely suck at football?

Two different questions. The reason the CUSA schools are together is because all, theoretically are on the same level in FOOTBALL. Theoretically.

If football had never been invented, do you think for 2 seconds MU would have its sports teams in a league that stretches from Virginia Beach to El Paso to Miami ? Of course not. If not for football, MU would NEVER play any of these schools in anything.

CUSA (this CUSA not the first one) was created by a bunch of schools that wanted to play G5 football. The basketball teams, the golf teams, the soccer teams and all the rest got taken along for the ride.

And that is an issue for CUSA (and several other leagues too). Not only the great geographic spread, but a collection of teams with vastly different commitments to basketball and to other sports as well. All lumped together to create a place to play football.

As to those of you that are fine with just selling out the conference tournament to UAB or UTEP. or maybe MTSU, every year and handicapping everyone else (in a league with one-bid) I'm just not. I would rather see a fair tournament on a neutral floor. Even if we don't sell 5000 seats to UAB fans (who will toss them if UAB loses). It is worth the $$ to have a neutral floor.

Reactions: Ninegate
Well if this is the future of CUSA, with piss poor leadership, I would not be against MAC membership. This is more bush league than the MAC was when we left, combined with the crap TV deals we still know nothing about and the demise of the conference as a whole.............whats left to say.
F the MAC.o_O

How can CUSA exist for football... When so many of the schools absolutely suck at football?

That's like saying I live to race Porsche's (as I drive my 1992 Ford Probe across town).

CUSA exists because a number of schools, like us, thought the grass would be greener 10 years ago by "moving up." Is it greener? I don't know, but that's how we got here.
CUSA did not suck in football in 2017. The conference had 10 bowl eligible teams, with 9 going bowling, and had 11 schools win 5 or more games. There were three terrible teams that brought the conference rating down but the conference was solid overall in 2017 and several schools have recruited well the last few years, which should lead to a jump in level the next few years.

CUSA did not suck in football in 2017. The conference had 10 bowl eligible teams, with 9 going bowling, and had 11 schools win 5 or more games. There were three terrible teams that brought the conference rating down but the conference was solid overall in 2017 and several schools have recruited well the last few years, which should lead to a jump in level the next few years.

I know in your heart you don't believe that... You watch games, you're a smart guy, having a bunch of 6-6 teams who only get to .500 by beating on the garbage teams doesn't make CUSA any good. There were 3 teams in the league with one win or less last year. Beat those three middle school squads and boom, halfway to bowl eligibility. Throw in a Sun Belt/Mac win and a 1-AA win and bad teams go to bowl games.

Congratulations to the C-USA Leadership group for the most epic display of stupidity in the history of organized college basketball. Let's break out peach baskets and have jump balls after every made basket while we're at it. Having two games running simultaneously with officiating and time out horns blaring for both games separated by a freaking curtain is absurd. I know they do this all the time in AAU tournaments... but my god man, this is Division I college basketball.

Here's an idea, everyone come to my house in California and we'll play half-court in my driveway... while another game goes on in my neighbors driveway. He has a 6-year old boy so the hoop is set to 7 feet... my kiddo is 10, so we have a 10 foot rim. The winners will play in the middle of the street while dodging traffic and trying not to break their ankles on the curb. Attendance will be good, because its outside and the population of SoCal is about 14 million people... we'll count them all, then send them a tax bill (because that's what we do in Cali).

Just in case we needed one more reason to try and get the hell out of C-USA... I think that the league has provided one.

I know in your heart you don't believe that... You watch games, you're a smart guy, having a bunch of 6-6 teams who only get to .500 by beating on the garbage teams doesn't make CUSA any good. There were 3 teams in the league with one win or less last year. Beat those three middle school squads and boom, halfway to bowl eligibility. Throw in a Sun Belt/Mac win and a 1-AA win and bad teams go to bowl games.
Quit talking about the SEC, that is how they schedule their OOC portion of the schedule. We had 10 bowl eligible teams with 9 going bowling, which is good in most conference's books, and we had the most bowl bids among the G5 conferences.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Forget the tournament....send.the top team at the end of the season to the NCAA tourney, and the others to the "pay for play" CIT, and CBI games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT