ADVERTISEMENT

Cramsey vs MTSU

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
I guess I am completely at a loss and totally mistaken so please correct me if I am wrong. Upon the departure of Bill Legg I was under the (mistaken) impression Doc had hired an OC that was going play a wide-Open aerial offense and solid running game. I must be blind as well as neither has truly materialized at least through my eyes. Yeah I know - redshirt freshman blah, blah, blah. He is not the only QB. And our talented O line! Where is it? So what do any of you expect when MTSU and the Brent Stockstill Show comes to town Friday night? Will Coach Cramsey unleash our offense? Just asking.

Why would Cramsey or Doc have held our Off back in the past 4 games only to unleash it against MTSU? I love my Herd but we are simply not improving as a team. I am a high school basketball coach and I evaluate every year if my team / program is improving. Has our O'Line improved, or D'Line? The answer is not really. Same ole. So expect the same against MTSU. If we can keep the game close we will have a chance. If MTSU is putting up crazy points we lose big. We can't keep up point for point. If we get behind by 2 or scores we are in trouble and all pressure is on our D

Reactions: Herd44
I am sure that our professional coaches, who've been at it for years and around successful programs everywhere they've been, plan, program and coach for every opponent. MTSU will see what Cramsey and team feel will work against their defense, and if it doesn't they'll see a change at half time.

At the present, no way we can match MT point for point. We better hope Green and the OL play out of their mind Friday and our DB's play equally well.

If Fuller is stupid and rushes just three, Stockstill will pick us apart.

Reactions: herd66
I think Doc has a leash around all the assistant coaches necks that prevents them from stepping outside the box.

You're certainly not the first to mention this. If true, what a waste.

This pretty much depicts Doc's ineptitude at coaching:

tumblr_n14h1oY0Al1rg0lgoo1_1280.gif

Reactions: herd66
I don't know what people are watching if they see the same thing from Cramsey as they saw from Legg.

First, you have to understand that the offense can only do two things besides punt or kick a FG, that's run or pass. And yes, both of the coaches did some of each, but that's where it ends. If anything, I think Cramsey is a little too wide open in his play calling. He has a Freshman QB throwing 37 times a game with a lot of those routes being in the 10+ yard category and several in the 20+ category. He has a lot more motion, misdirection, and "trick" plays being thrown out there.

I see two issues with the offense, all of the stuff he is doing is new to these players and much more complex and intricate than what they did under Legg. The more moving parts the more chance for error. That's been our biggest issue, the execution. That should get better as we go this year and be much better each year thereafter.

The second issue is that the line has to get better in the run game. Levi Brown has been playing horribly and needs to get his head straight. He has proven the last few years that he is better than what he's playing. You can't have the guy in the middle, the one who makes the calls, playing poorly. He got ate alive against WKU.

Bankerreturns posted “Cramsey is a little too wide open in his play calling.” Umm I don’t know you Banker and you don’t know me. That said I’ve been to all of our games in person thus far. I fail to see anything that resembles “too wide open.” Sorry guess I must need to have me eyes checked!

I agree with the suggestion that Doc has a leash on Cramsey. If so, Cramsey must be sorry he came here. It is doing nothing to enhance his career, for sure

Bankerreturns posted “Cramsey is a little too wide open in his play calling.” Umm I don’t know you Banker and you don’t know me. That said I’ve been to all of our games in person thus far. I fail to see anything that resembles “too wide open.” Sorry guess I must need to have me eyes checked!

The plays being called are wide open. The issue is that the players are not executing those plays. If we were hitting on more plays it would be more evident. However dropping passes, missing open players, routes not being ran through, and putting balls on the ground are holding us back big time.

Legg's offense was very repetitive and predictable. He even admitted he kept it very simplistic. These guys aren't used to this.

Once the players get settled in and Green matures then it's really going take off.

We got a small taste in the 1st quarter and a half up in Oxford. Since then we have been very inconsistent in our execution.

Believe it or not a coach can only do so much. At some point it's on the player to carry out his assignment.

Last edited:

You need a meme of We Are Marshall when he talks out of the side of his mouth, because Doc literally tries to emulate that. I think he likes the prestige of his position more than he likes being a part of the program.

We have a quarterback in his first year as a starter throwing the ball an average of 40 times per game... If anything we are too wide open... There are a lot of reasons for that, the offensive line can't run block, our best athletes are receivers, etc. But the fact is we are throwing the ball all the darn time all over the field with limited success.

If anything we would benefit from running the ball more, assuming we could do it effectively, because we could sustain drives and give the defense a break rather than our two typical drive options this year which have been – A, Hit a big play. B, 3 plays and punt/turnover.

This really depicts all of us Monday morning QBs on here that think we know more than the coaches actually doing the coaching.

Aren't you just a basketball guy anyway?

I agree with the suggestion that Doc has a leash on Cramsey. If so, Cramsey must be sorry he came here. It is doing nothing to enhance his career, for sure
We have a FR QB and an offensive group getting used to a new system. There are going to be a lot of growing pains and having a FR QB does not help at all.

I don't know what people are watching if they see the same thing from Cramsey as they saw from Legg.

+1. One of the common criticisms laymen offer of offensive coordinators is that "they run the same X plays." I think I've heard this statement uttered at least once about every single offensive coordinator of every football team I've ever watched live, struggling offensively.

It stems from fans wanting to believe that the fate of their team is changeable - that its not determined by the skill, age or experience of the players themselves, but rather by the gameplan. The logical conclusion of this fallacy is that a coaching change will immediately fix everything, and the team of world-beaters who have previously been held back will be unleashed on the world of college football. But then it doesn't, because it doesn't, and the new coach finds himself in the same hot water as the last one.

Your notes about Levi Brown are spot on, and are a far greater indicator of why our run game has been stymied so far this season. That kind of analytical talk has no place here.

I doubt someone who has won three games, who's only loss was to a P5 school undefeated at this point in the season, ranked in one poll and geting votes in the other (maybe ranked in both), scored as many points against that team as their regular season ACC foe VA did, is unhappy he came to MU. At this point he is adding mightly to his resume' of success. Considering he's done this with a freshman quarterback, I don't think his resume' is anything other than improving.

Well, I went on to explain why I thought that. You, on the other hand, just said you didn't see the same thing without offering any type of supporting comments. I didn't go to the WKU game, but have been to all the others, and have re watched each at least once. You need to go back and watch the first four games from 2015 and the first four from 2011 if you really want to draw a valid comparison between Cramsey and Legg. Look at the game plans employed by Legg when he was working with a freshman QB versus what Cramsey is doing and then give me specifics on how you think Cramsey can be considered conservative in his play calling.

A wide open offense doesn't guarantee 40-50 points a game any more than a conservative offense means you will only score 14-17 a game. There were many a years Nebraska and Oklahoma put up 45-50 points without ever throwing the ball, or at least not more than 5-10 times a game, and running the same three plays.

Football is execution where all 11 players have to perform their given task. Right now we have a wide open offense but poor execution. So my thought is that we should probably skinny down the playbook and focus on executing less things far better.

Reactions: Sean Hammond
Comments such as this would never be made in person. The internet is a glorious thing for small people.

That's true. I wouldn't be rude to his face, despite him being a completely rude asshole to the public on many occasions. In his case, he is rude to your face, but not on the internet. I suppose one is better than the other.

That's true. I wouldn't be rude to his face, despite him being a completely rude asshole to the public on many occasions. In his case, he is rude to your face, but not on the internet. I suppose one is better than the other.

When have you ever experienced Doc being rude to the public? I would need specific instances to actually believe that.

I’m not saying he’s the most personable guy in the world, but I’ve never seen him be anything but inviting in a public setting.

When have you ever experienced Doc being rude to the public? I would need specific instances to actually believe that.

I’m not saying he’s the most personable guy in the world, but I’ve never seen him be anything but inviting in a public setting.

I agree with that assessment... I have never found him to be overly jovial, but he has always been quiet and polite.

I am not the only one on this site who feels this way. You're right, he's not personable. I'm not going to give specific examples and sound like a candy ass baby, the point is he is not at all personable and I feel like he is arrogant to the general public. Since you know all things, I am sure you feel different.

I am not the only one on this site who feels this way. You're right, he's not personable. I'm not going to give specific examples and sound like a candy ass baby, the point is he is not at all personable and I feel like he is arrogant to the general public. Since you know all things, I am sure you feel different.

Like I said, without specific examples I’ll just take this for what it is.....message board banter.

Totally agree. I have never seen him rude to anyone.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

Dude this is laughable

Doc is a head coach as he was hired to do, not a cheerleader

Doc keep doin what ur doin, with more championships!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Doc sure isn't Danny when it comes to embracing the fan base. And I totally disagree that the job of a head coach is only to coach football. The coach should be the primary cheerleader of the program. The head coach is the CEO, and like a CEO he needs to promote the company. If he wants to keep his job he needs to deliver growth and that doesn't get accomplished just through wins and losses, unless you can reel off 11 or 12 wins a year, which few programs and coaches can.

Danny understands marketing. He had people excited and attendance on an uptick before he started winning. He's the type leader that you become emotionally invested in as a fan. He lets you know the good and the bad, he makes you feel part of the program.

Doc sure isn't Danny when it comes to embracing the fan base. And I totally disagree that the job of a head coach is only to coach football. The coach should be the primary cheerleader of the program. The head coach is the CEO, and like a CEO he needs to promote the company. If he wants to keep his job he needs to deliver growth and that doesn't get accomplished just through wins and losses, unless you can reel off 11 or 12 wins a year, which few programs and coaches can.

Danny understands marketing. He had people excited and attendance on an uptick before he started winning. He's the type leader that you become emotionally invested in as a fan. He lets you know the good and the bad, he makes you feel part of the program.
Your talking about a basketball program that no one but about 3,000 people cared about
Of course you need a cheerleader to get people excited about it and Danny has been the man in promoting/kick starting/and winning here at Marshall!... hats off to him!!!!!

Doc was “the man”when Cato was here and we were winning and brought home a conference trophy then all of a sudden he’s such a sour pus and has no personality.....

Whatever the guy is coaching to win and winning puts fans in the stands PERIOD!!!

He doesn’t have to be a cheerleader, you win and the excitement goes up!!

a cheer leading head coach is making up for something and trying to save his job.

Bob Pruett was a master at it. Every practice, he would spend the majority of the time wandering the stands talking to fans, standing on the sideline talking to big boosters, and simply overseeing the practice and letting his coaches do their work.

Exactly, he was personable

Doc and Dana H. are literally the opposite of BP and Nehlen. It's too bad because this state would rather have the personalities of the latters..

Reactions: chuck1069
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT