ADVERTISEMENT

Cs Get Degrees

As a spouse of a recently retired teacher of 35 years, I can say that todays kids have the least amount of support from the home/family than they ever have. Many parents in WV don't place value on an education and simply use schools as a baby sitting service. Heck, many of my wifes students were smarter than their parents, or so it seemed when she spoke to them; IF they ever showed up at school for meetings , functions or parent-teacher conference. She's had parents call her from Jail, from drug rehab, etc. WV has the highest number of kids being raised by their grandparents. We are in the top 3 of kids in foster care. 49% of able bodied adults work, 51 % suck off the government and it becomes a generational cycle.
Yeah, the system is broken and its way too top heavy at the board offices and in Charleston. There are bad teachers for sure, but the issues start at home. jmho

I feel much of that is what the state's culture has been over the last several decades.
It's always been physical labor and hard work, which is necessary and needed, but you don't require a college degree to do it.

Of course, when the pill mills came in and the physical labor injured you, your doctor over prescribing pain killers to get you addicted, causing you to lose your job and get strung out because you didn't have a degree or any other valuable skills to go back on.

Now, it's the tech world and students don't seem interested in the process of working to achieve goals, they post memes and share words about hustle and goals, with lambos and yachts, having no short term, mid term, and long term goals.
Their parents could provide some guidance, but it's a horrible cycle.
Take your kid off social media and teach them some things about life and show them ways to attain their goals.
Problem is, life off of social media is lonely, isolating, and doesn't have a whole lot of support.
The most support a kid feels is online with their friends hitting the "like" button talking about dreams and goals, but not actually doing anything.

Yesterday, Marshall reminded everybody that their academic standards are very low. They unveiled a program that will automatically grant admission to any Cabell County high school graduate with a 2.5 GPA, no application or fee needed.

West Virginia already has one of the worst K-12 educations in the country. Kids with a C average in a subpar, watered down educational system have already been able to glide by without much effort. Now, Marshall doesn’t just want to automatically accept them but also allow them to show even less effort by not having to complete an application?

Whatever it takes to increase enrollment numbers, eh, Bradley?

Okay, I fully get your point, but I was one of those local kids from the wrong side of the tracks, who was accepted to Marshall in 1980 with a 2.5 GPA. I had no encouragement to study and do anything short of enlisting in the Marines or something like that coming out of HEHS. Anyway, I graduated from Marshall and then two other private schools and today I am serving in a professional position in the healthcare field. I am not bragging only saying I am thankful for the opportunity that Marshall gave me and I think I ended up doing alright.

Out of stater talks about low academic standards in WV while having attended, and graduated from, a university in WV....
In-stater, not surprisingly, fails reading comprehension and ignores my mention of "K-12" with my statement. That would exclude Marshall.

But since you mentioned it: Marshall's academic standards were extremely low. By the time I arrived at Marshall, I had credits from Cornell University, Syracuse University, Niagara University, and a community college. By far, Marshall's education was the lowest of that group. On a weekly basis, I would come back to my roommates (all of whom were educated out-of-state) and share a story of a WV educated kid either not knowing basic things or asking an absurdly stupid question in class. Many times, they had their own stories.

I, like most from out-of-state, didn't go to Marshall due to its academic prestige. I learned very little at Marshall, because most lectures were teaching the local kids things that I learned in high school.

Now, it's the tech world and students don't seem interested in the process of working to achieve goals, they post memes and share words about hustle and goals, with lambos and yachts, having no short term, mid term, and long term goals.
Their parents could provide some guidance, but it's a horrible cycle.
Take your kid off social media and teach them some things about life and show them ways to attain their goals.
Problem is, life off of social media is lonely, isolating, and doesn't have a whole lot of support.
The most support a kid feels is online with their friends hitting the "like" button talking about dreams and goals, but not actually doing anything.
Poor education isn't a social media effect. It is a West Virginia effect.
All that to say, I'm glad Brad Smith is doing this for the kids in Cabell County. A lot of kids don't have the home life to succeed in high school. If they can get to college, away from the poor conditions of home, maybe it's possible for them to find success. Success they would have otherwise never found if they had to meet certain admission requirements for college.

I realize that would be the exception and not the norm. It is still worth it in my eyes.

You're not understanding the change that Marshall/Bradley Smith implemented. They aren't giving kids who have a bad home life, poor conditions of home, or lack of success in high school an opportunity more than what they already do. They are still keeping the low admission requirements for those high schoolers who don't fare well.

They are simply making the effort needed even lower. So those kids who already showed low success - regardless of it being due to effort, lack of intelligence, bad home life, etc. - simply don't have to do the basic application process. Regardless of the reason why these kids had a 2.5 GPA, does Marshall expect them to suddenly thrive in college even though they will still have the same home life, have the same poor conditions of home, the same quality/success of high school education, etc.? How, for Cabell County kids, are those local kids suddenly going to change, especially by lowering the effort they need to give?
Okay, I fully get your point, but I was one of those local kids from the wrong side of the tracks, who was accepted to Marshall in 1980 with a 2.5 GPA. I had no encouragement to study and do anything short of enlisting in the Marines or something like that coming out of HEHS. Anyway, I graduated from Marshall and then two other private schools and today I am serving in a professional position in the healthcare field. I am not bragging only saying I am thankful for the opportunity that Marshall gave me and I think I ended up doing alright.
I think like Green Daddy, you're misreading the link. The issue isn't admitting kids with a 2.5 GPA. Marshall has always done that. The issue (and what is changing) is removing the need for local kids with a 2.5 GPA to even complete an application. It's asinine.

A kid with a 2.5 GPA either has horrendous effort or isn't very bright (possibly both). For the former, you think a kid will put effort into succeeding in college and getting up at 7:30 a.m. to go to class if they don't even have the initiative to complete an application? For the latter, if a kid can't figure out how to complete an application, they have no business being in college.

This new rule is now allowing the effortless/low intelligent to do even less. Sorry, that is not how the real world works nor should it be. The fact that so many people are not understanding what is being changed pretty much confirms my comments.

Reactions: Ninegate
In-stater, not surprisingly, fails reading comprehension and ignores my mention of "K-12" with my statement. That would exclude Marshall.
Oh really?
Strike one...you think I'm from WV.
Strike two...you lie and say the exclusion of Marshall.
Whatever it takes to increase enrollment numbers, eh, Bradley?
Strike three...you're fu**in' out.

Poor education isn't a social media effect. It is a West Virginia effect.

When the students aren't in class, what do you think they're doing??

Here's a hint. They aren't in a library.

Kids are as addicted to their tablets/social media as their parents are to pills.

I used to like watching Cuellar pitch. That was back when the Orioles were loaded. Jim Palmer, Dobson, Dave McNally all won 20 games, something that will never be done again. Then you got Paul Blair, Brooks Robinson, Bellanger at short. Davey Johnson as well. Was Boog playing in 71?

I need to get down to Camden Yards. They might win it all this year. Think it's safe down there? Inner Harbor isn't quite like it used to be. I know why, but I'm not saying.

Just don't wander off the path and you'll be fine.
There's a reason The Wire took place in Baltimore, lol.

I like this idea as long as Marshall doesn't alter its own education requirements. I knew a lot of kids in high school around that GPA level that came from broken homes, were very low income, had to essentially raise their siblings, had to work to support themselves/siblings, messed around as 14-15 year old freshman and sophomores, or any other thing that gave them a much tougher road than the rich family's kid with a stay at home parent and private tutoring.

I like it that a lot more kids get a shot. However, if the screw it up, that is on them.

Give Brad credit, it's a risk he's willing to take.
If this becomes a success, it may end up raising the academic standards which I can see happening.
I can also see it expanding to other counties nearby.

Strike two...you lie and say the exclusion of Marshall.
Marshall is not considered K-12, which is what I used both times I made that comment. Why is that so hard for you to understand? Frankly, the education attained at Marshall is akin to a 9-12 education in states with good schools, but that doesn't make your comment any more accurate.

Strike three...you're fu**in' out.
Do you even know what you're arguing, moron? You said that my comment is wrong about this being done to increase enrollment, but then you say . . .

If this becomes a success, it may end up raising the academic standards which I can see happening.

Uhhh, moron: If it isn't to increase enrollment, then why would it expand to other counties? More, why is it a risk? What risk is there for this being done?

When the students aren't in class, what do you think they're doing??

Here's a hint. They aren't in a library.

Kids are as addicted to their tablets/social media as their parents are to pills.
Again, do you even know what you're arguing? If social media is causing the poor education and/or lack of work ethic, like you initially claimed, then why did West Virginia fare so low in those things prior to social media?

I'll give you a hint like I said before: West Virginia's horrendous education and all of their problems aren't due to social media . . . nor are they the result of pill mills. West Virginia's issues were prevalent prior to both of those things.

Marshall is not considered K-12, which is what I used both times I made that comment. Why is that so hard for you to understand? Frankly, the education attained at Marshall is akin to a 9-12 education in states with good schools, but that doesn't make your comment any more accurate.

Do you even know what you're arguing, moron? You said that my comment is wrong about this being done to increase enrollment, but then you say . . .

Uhhh, moron: If it isn't to increase enrollment, then why would it expand to other counties? More, why is it a risk? What risk is there for this being done?

Again, do you even know what you're arguing? If social media is causing the poor education and/or lack of work ethic, like you initially claimed, then why did West Virginia fare so low in those things prior to social media?

I'll give you a hint like I said before: West Virginia's horrendous education and all of their problems aren't due to social media . . . nor are they the result of pill mills. West Virginia's issues were prevalent prior to both of those things.

"Bradley."

What is being done is increasing enrollment because WV, as a whole, has a tough time educating it's own population. Not really Marshall's fault when they have had to fight the state legislature for decades just to get approval for programs that region of the state needs.
Business idea? Sure. It definitely serves as such. Good for the region? Yes.
Are you shocked that MU would make a business based decision?
Probably.
What sucks is you're seeing forward thinking by a very successful person in an area/state that doesn't embrace change.

Risk? Yeah, there is, somewhere. If there's a view of success, there is always a risk. My guess is, it doesn't bring in more students and the population stagnates, it also, might actually end up hurting the academic standards as well, despite what is said.

Before social media, WV had a very hardworking population but it was severely limited to coal mining, construction, and some sort of physical labor. Women were nurses, teachers, and occasionally something else...with a single digit percentage being lawyers, doctors, etc.

Higher education wasn't emphasized.

Now, with such industries largely extinct, there is a huge gap in education as well as work.

Nowadays, social media is the new norm for students. They see the world and all these cool events and happenings, spend all their waking hours envisioning life as though they were in the same situations, and when asked how they intend to get there...have ZERO clue.
So many kids want the freedom and are given, actually, too much freedom as a freshman in college, the ability to actually say, "nah, not today" and skip class and go hiking, to scheduling their classes and making a schedule.

If another point you're trying to make is kids don't work hard because WV's school system isn't good nor formulated to encourage hard work, well, that goes both ways:

As said, plenty of kids are at a disadvantage, much of it is out of their hands and not because of them.

On the other hand, those with advantages, are always going to have them, thus, even an escape from an application process to an in-state school won't hinder their work ethic.

As for that, really dude? Someone with a 2.5 GPA is likely to be applying to more schools than others, because they are on the cusp of getting into them, and one less application but an automatic admittance does play a psychological factor, for the benefit of everyone.

If you're saying that WV schools suck because the leadership of the state sucks, and has sucked for decades, then I absolutely agree with you 100% on that. Sadly, this was an elaborate attempt for you to bash Brad and MU, but what you mistakenly have done, is brought attention to yet another good idea and potential game changer for MU.
So...thanks, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
You mean, raising the standards back to where they were?

Expect more, get more..

If a student does not have to apply, what is the process by which the bursar enlists them as a student? Is there at least a sign-in sheet?

Reactions: RhinoD
If a student does not have to apply, what is the process by which the bursar enlists them as a student? Is there at least a sign-in sheet?

I assume they would have to enroll just like every other student that was accepted.

I assume they would have to enroll just like every other student that was accepted.
IDK man, that may require filling out some kind of form... Which is apparently a huge hurdle for 18 year olds who would like to attend college (hence waiving the application).

IDK man, that may require filling out some kind of form... Which is apparently a huge hurdle for 18 year olds who would like to attend college (hence waiving the application).

If they don't enroll, then it is no loss to Marshall. At least Marshall may have had more opportunity to get their hooks into that kid.

I also think that
surely you're not that dense and actually think that the students will be allowed to just show up. And honestly most colleges have common app now so the students fill it out once for all the schools

Reactions: ru4_mu2
surely you're not that dense and actually think that the students will be allowed to just show up. And honestly most colleges have common app now so the students fill it out once for all the schools
It was a joke... Im aware that there still has to be some roster of who is attending.

"Bradley."

What is being done is increasing enrollment because WV, as a whole, has a tough time educating it's own population. Not really Marshall's fault when they have had to fight the state legislature for decades just to get approval for programs that region of the state needs.
Business idea? Sure. It definitely serves as such. Good for the region? Yes.
Are you shocked that MU would make a business based decision?
Probably.
What sucks is you're seeing forward thinking by a very successful person in an area/state that doesn't embrace change.

Risk? Yeah, there is, somewhere. If there's a view of success, there is always a risk. My guess is, it doesn't bring in more students and the population stagnates, it also, might actually end up hurting the academic standards as well, despite what is said.

Before social media, WV had a very hardworking population but it was severely limited to coal mining, construction, and some sort of physical labor. Women were nurses, teachers, and occasionally something else...with a single digit percentage being lawyers, doctors, etc.

Higher education wasn't emphasized.

Now, with such industries largely extinct, there is a huge gap in education as well as work.

Nowadays, social media is the new norm for students. They see the world and all these cool events and happenings, spend all their waking hours envisioning life as though they were in the same situations, and when asked how they intend to get there...have ZERO clue.
So many kids want the freedom and are given, actually, too much freedom as a freshman in college, the ability to actually say, "nah, not today" and skip class and go hiking, to scheduling their classes and making a schedule.

If another point you're trying to make is kids don't work hard because WV's school system isn't good nor formulated to encourage hard work, well, that goes both ways:

As said, plenty of kids are at a disadvantage, much of it is out of their hands and not because of them.

On the other hand, those with advantages, are always going to have them, thus, even an escape from an application process to an in-state school won't hinder their work ethic.

As for that, really dude? Someone with a 2.5 GPA is likely to be applying to more schools than others, because they are on the cusp of getting into them, and one less application but an automatic admittance does play a psychological factor, for the benefit of everyone.

If you're saying that WV schools suck because the leadership of the state sucks, and has sucked for decades, then I absolutely agree with you 100% on that. Sadly, this was an elaborate attempt for you to bash Brad and MU, but what you mistakenly have done, is brought attention to yet another good idea and potential game changer for MU.
So...thanks, I guess.
2.5 GPA from high school….thats why God created WV State and Concord.

Reactions: RhinoD
"Bradley."
So you responded to my post with only calling me a clown. Then, more than eight hours later, you delete your post and type all of this and expect me to see it? Brilliant, moron.

What is being done is increasing enrollment because WV, as a whole, has a tough time educating it's own population.
You can't be serious. WV has too many colleges for its small population. That's not even up for debate. It is widely accepted. Enrollment in colleges in the state have been dropping, overall, for years. It's why the state has considered closing colleges. It's why majors are constantly being dropped; too few students to support those majors. I believe that Ohio only has two or three more public colleges yet has nearly seven times the population of WV.

Your erection for social media is strange. You could look at the top 20 problems for what has caused all of the issues in West Virginia, and "social media" isn't anywhere close.

Were you able to finish? Do you need a towel?

So you're saying that many don't have the bare minimum initiative or motivation to succeed in college? Do you see how giving those who have shown less initiative/motivation an even easier path to college (no application needed) is absurd and just further promoting that issue?
but what you mistakenly have done, is brought attention to yet another good idea and potential game changer for MU.
There is not a single good aspect of this idea unless the goal is to increase enrollment, increase first-year churn, and further lower the academic status of Marshall.

You want to eliminate applications for students who have shown initiative and academic success? Sure, I can see that for GPAs > 3.5. But to allow it for kids who are doing the bare minimum already and expect them to suddenly turn it on when in college. Not happening.

What you fail to acknowledge is that those kids who were at a disadvantage at Huntington High will still be at a disadvantage at Marshall. This initiative only applies to Cabell kids. Those kids will still be living at home. So if they have dysfunction there or whatever you claim has caused them to perform poorly in high school, they won't be able to avoid that by taking classes at John Marshall Drive instead of Highlander Way.

Last edited:
The big lie in all of this is elevating the potential student. The true story is grabbing tuition dollars to keep the doors open. All done while the smiling president promotes the lie. The state supported schools at 60% of their budgets now that is 25% at best. Put the burden on parents and the kids saddled with student loans. Earn degrees with no real value for a good job. The hypocrisy of it all is pathetic.

The big lie in all of this is elevating the potential student. The true story is grabbing tuition dollars to keep the doors open. All done while the smiling president promotes the lie. T
Yep. And those students who will benefit most from this (those from dysfunctional families who don't have the support needed to succeed in high school and thus have a low GPA) tend to also be from lower to lower-middle class families. Watering down their requirements will hurt them more than help them, all so their loaned tuition money can hit Marshall's coffers.

It's a tried-and-true strategy that worked well for Intuit when it took advantage of the weakest income groups in the country.

So you responded to my post with only calling me a clown. Then, more than eight hours later, you delete your post and type all of this and expect me to see it? Brilliant, moron.

You can't be serious. WV has too many colleges for its small population. That's not even up for debate. It is widely accepted. Enrollment in colleges in the state have been dropping, overall, for years. It's why the state has considered closing colleges. It's why majors are constantly being dropped; too few students to support those majors. I believe that Ohio only has two or three more public colleges yet has nearly seven times the population of WV.

Your erection for social media is strange. You could look at the top 20 problems for what has caused all of the issues in West Virginia, and "social media" isn't anywhere close.

Were you able to finish? Do you need a towel?

So you're saying that many don't have the bare minimum initiative or motivation to succeed in college? Do you see how giving those who have shown less initiative/motivation an even easier path to college (no application needed) is absurd and just further promoting that issue?

There is not a single good aspect of this idea unless the goal is to increase enrollment, increase first-year churn, and further lower the academic status of Marshall.

You want to eliminate applications for students who have shown initiative and academic success? Sure, I can see that for GPAs > 3.5. But to allow it for kids who are doing the bare minimum already and expect them to suddenly turn it on when in college. Not happening.

What you fail to acknowledge is that those kids who were at a disadvantage at Huntington High will still be at a disadvantage at Marshall. This initiative only applies to Cabell kids. Those kids will still be living at home. So if they have dysfunction there or whatever you claim has caused them to perform poorly in high school, they won't be able to avoid that by taking classes at John Marshall Drive instead of Highlander Way.

👍🤡

No, I didn't think you were at all. I was just sharing my wife's experience. It's a broken system all the way around. No doubt.

System being the keyword here.
State leadership would absolutely hate the populace to be educated, because then, Heaven forbid, the people actually read the bills being passed and know what's at stake.
I recall one bill that you voted on and you voted "yes" or "no" but the wording of it was so confusing you could easily vote against your opinion.
WV reminds me of the Middle ages where the people were largely kept in the dark about the leadership of the country, and relied on educated people to lead them, as opposed to educating themselves since they couldn't read.

According to some on here Brad is not doing a very good job. I, on the other hand, disagree. Perhaps one of the naysayers should be appointed as Brad's top assistant, since they have a vast knowledge of what should be done at Marshall. I, again, on the other hand, am sticking with Brad and his leadership.

According to some on here Brad is not doing a very good job. I, on the other hand, disagree. Perhaps one of the naysayers should be appointed as Brad's top assistant, since they have a vast knowledge of what should be done at Marshall. I, again, on the other hand, am sticking with Brad and his leadership.
We have thick skin around here (more than just your thick skull). You can name names. Who said that Bradley is not doing a good job?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT