ADVERTISEMENT

current state of football team

No to just about everything you posted.
You think FAU and FIU get better support on the state? Nope.

You claim that MU took a long time to get funding for the IPF. Well, have you seen the IPFs at FAU and FIU? Don’t worry, nobody else has seen them, because they don’t exist.

FAU is in the middle of building a big complex, but an indoor is proposed as part of stage 2, and they haven’t even completed stage 1 yet. In other words, what Marshall has had for many years at a high level (and Marshall’s indoor is impressive even by P5 standards), FAU and FIU won’t have for many more years at best.

And “aggressive marketing” won’t put FIU ahead of MU. FIU has 57,000 students. It’s huge. You don’t have to market at all at a school that size if the students cared about football. But they don’t. It’s enrollment is about 70% Hispanic which isn’t a traditionally strong supporter of football. Then, it is heavily lopsided with female enrollment, which also doesn’t support football as much as males.

FIU’s 57,000 students know they have a football team. They just aren’t fans of the sport. Aggressive marketing won’t change that anytime soon.

Worked for UCF.

It all depends on what you want. You might find 8-5 or 9-4 acceptable. But, with our schedules and lack of championships, I do not find it acceptable. We need to be winning championships, not just looking at win totals.

When everyone else is 5-7 and MU is 8-5 (with an exception of maybe 2 other CUSA teams, one having won the conference being at 10 wins) consistently, I will take it.
No fanbase on Earth would want losing seasons if they had to trade conference championships...might as well take the wins. Something the rest of CUSA can't consistently say they have.
I do agree that Doc needs to win more championships, however, hinging an entire season based on that sole purpose and calling everything else mediocrity, isn't accurate.
As I said, people need to stick with one or the other.
MU goes 8-5 or 9-4 but wins a conference title, don't complain about the record.
MU goes 10+ wins but no conference title, don't complain about titles.

Sad thing is, Doc could win CUSA and people who once complained about lack of championships, are going to switch to W/L as a justification to fire him.
Anything to fit their inconsistent narratives.

Considering we have some of the best facilities in the league, if not the best overall, our fan support and financial support from the fan base is among the best, and that our staff can take unlimited NQ’s where most schools can’t or won’t; which gives us a advantage in recruiting - you add all that up and you would think the program would be more polished and consistent.
As one CUSA coach said in a pre-season mag. - “ Marshall is inconsistent, you don’t know what team will show up, year in, year out.”

I wonder if Doc is getting complacent and stale. That happened to Pruett his last few years. You could see it in his classes and team demeanor.
Just no excitement. Honestly, unless you winning the shelf life for a coach is 7 to 10 years. The players, fans, and alums have heard all the stories, motivational talks, and wisdom from a coach and afterward it just gets stale. No hard feelings its just the life cycle of leadership. College athletics is based on excitement and I just don't see at Marshall right now. Its time to move on. When I say that video of Divers dancing on the field it was indicator that the focus was gone. Number one, in Docs early years he would not have put up with that behavior.

Reactions: johns1124
Ecu and vt are awful and uva just lost to unranked 2-3 Miami. Ecu lost by 32 to Navy. Vt beat furman by 7 points and lost to Duke by 5 tds for Christmas sakes

I mean if you want to compare us against awful teams and pound your chest, have at it.
Hmm, UVA is 5-2(3-1) and in 1st place in their division, VT is 5-2(2-2) and Duke has a solid team and is 4-3(2-2). ECU is a bad team, but Navy is 5-1(3-1) this season and are a good team. I see some pretty decent to good teams there. ODU is terrible offensively, but are a solid defensive team that would give up a lot less points if their offense was better. They aren't great overall, but are competitive thanks to their defense.

Good extreme response. I specifically stated it's not a win "to pop bottles" over. But if that's pounding my chest in your eyes, so be it. You can choose to hear or read it the way you want. God forbid we try to throw any stats out here to make comparisons for anything beyoned the "we suck" and "fire doc" discussions. Frankly, I'd prefer to discuss more interesting things, like the actual outcome or stats from a game - compared to an ENDLESS discussion about something completely out of my control.
Don't pay attention to these people. It has been that way for years on here. Hell, many on here wanted him fired for losing the WKU game in 2014 when we went 13-1. Doc is unacceptable to many of them because he was a WVU guy, and he supposedly blew the game against them in 2010 when we were in position to win against them for the 1st time. It was down hill for Doc from that point on and the offensive struggles the last 4-5 years due to mediocre QB play has made it worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT