ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Patrick with Breaking News

Refer you to: $3.5m = Ticket Sales (All Sports)
Notice ALL Sports?

Are you assuming? Do you have any stats on that?

Why would they be refunded? School is in session.

https://www.marshall.edu/finance/files/FY19.pdf

Take Fiscal Year '19. It does not look like a Massive Budget problem to me.

Take the Athletic budget:

https://www.marshall.edu/2020/files...tics-at-Marshall-University_April-13-2016.pdf

Look at the bottom line Questions. The first one answers most of the questions you ask.

From here:

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Marshall C-USA
Total Revenue $32,905,904
Total Expenses $32,936,226

Does not look like a "Massive Budget problem"

Of course budget year 19 doesn't look like a budget problem, at the time it was written we didn't have one. No one had heard of COVID and we were playing all sports and generating a little above 100 percent of anticipated revenue... I will give you a hint, the current operating budget probably looks fine too. The hits MU takes this fall will not bear fruit until next year's budget. And they will bear fruit across the board. President Gilbert has said as much by making preemptive salary and budget cuts. https://www.marshall.edu/coronavirus/2020/06/04/budget-update-from-president-gilbert-june-4-2020/

As for donations being down, I am making an assumption there, but it doesn't take a CPA to understand that people who have been out of work, have seen their businesses struggle, etc are not going to be spending their dollars discretionarily like they normally would.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
First, and I think this was predictable, the places where football is really important and people understand that Disney is make believe and thus life is hard and dangerous are going to try to play. The South and southwest. Other, more vagnificated, places not. If Nebraska figures out a way to play, good for them. I understand why Texas/ESPN made continued membership the Big 12 impossible, but they never have fit in the Big 10. Different culture.

As to MU specifically, the "student fee" referred to in this thread is a specific charge made on all students for athletics, whether they care one whit about sports or not, the quid pro quo of it being that thus students get into games "free" and thus there certainly can be no justification for charging such a fee to students and providing nothing in return.

Similarly, MU receives both "general" and "athletic" donations. While most general donations are just out of the goodness of people's or business' hearts, yes, these will be down based on people being out of work, companies being forced to cut back, etc; the Big Green is a different animal. Most people "donate" to the BGC in return for specific statuses vis football and basketball tickets and parking. Not everyone, but most. Why would a person donate for nothing in return, and how could MU with a straight face ask for the same donation next year or reseat the person?

Likewise TV money cannot be paid if there is no product.

Same goes for most schools.

The last issue is subsidy. MU has a fairly low for G5 standards subsidy rate, but we have one. If things are tight for the next few years the moral justification for using tax money for sports gets pretty thin.

First, and I think this was predictable, the places where football is really important and people understand that Disney is make believe and thus life is hard and dangerous are going to try to play. The South and southwest. .

A better explanation is the places in the country that are the least educated decide to play while the highest educated places realize there are higher priorities than college football. Related, check out which conferences canceled their seasons first: Ivy League followed by the Patriot, both of which are extremely high academic conferences:

ACPGlFD.gif

A better explanation is the places in the country that are the least educated decide to play while the highest educated places realize there are higher priorities than college football. Related, check out which conferences canceled their seasons first: Ivy League followed by the Patriot, both of which are extremely high academic conferences:

ACPGlFD.gif

And, in the place that brought us a big part of the pandemic. A place that likes govt control and well are in need to be coddled.

Reactions: 19MU88
And, in the place that brought us a big part of the pandemic. A place that likes govt control and well are in need to be coddled.

Does "govt" stand for "government?" If so, I'd like to report a pseudo-moderator violation to the board owner who has warned people of discussing politics on this board.

And no place in the U.S. "brought" it here. Some areas may have had higher rates or spread it, but that's entirely different. Those areas also aren't nearly as blame worthy as if the person with the most power in this country ignored his/her own expert advisors about it for months prior to it hitting here, if that most powerful person defunded and broke down certain offices that would have been in charge of such a pandemic, if that most powerful person didn't insist that it wasn't anything to worry about and would just disappear overnight, if that most powerful person didn't insist that only 15 people had it and it would be down to 1 person soon. I also don't think a place that couldn't possibly have been prepared or understand the pandemic should be faulted as much as other places that had months of warning ahead of time yet still ignored all of those warnings.

Last edited:
Of course budget year 19 doesn't look like a budget problem, at the time it was written we didn't have one. No one had heard of COVID and we were playing all sports and generating a little above 100 percent of anticipated revenue... I will give you a hint, the current operating budget probably looks fine too. The hits MU takes this fall will not bear fruit until next year's budget. And they will bear fruit across the board. President Gilbert has said as much by making preemptive salary and budget cuts. https://www.marshall.edu/coronavirus/2020/06/04/budget-update-from-president-gilbert-june-4-2020/

As for donations being down, I am making an assumption there, but it doesn't take a CPA to understand that people who have been out of work, have seen their businesses struggle, etc are not going to be spending their dollars discretionarily like they normally would.
I actually increased my Big Green donation for this year back in January, didn't ask for a refund, and do not receive any benefits from my donation. My football season tickets and parking are not tied to any donation. I'm just trying to do what I can to support MU.

Does "govt" stand for "government?" If so, I'd like to report a pseudo-moderator violation to the board owner who has warned people of discussing politics on this board.

And no place in the U.S. "brought" it here. Some areas may have had higher rates or spread it, but that's entirely different. Those areas also aren't nearly as blame worthy as if the person with the most power in this country ignored his/her own expert advisors about it for months prior to it hitting here, if that most powerful person defunded and broke down certain offices that would have been in charge of such a pandemic, if that most powerful person didn't insist that it wasn't anything to worry about and would just disappear overnight, if that most powerful person didn't insist that only 15 people had it and it would be down to 1 person soon. I also don't think a place that couldn't possibly have been prepared or understand the pandemic should be faulted as much as other places that had months of warning ahead of time yet still ignored all of those warnings.
Not a violation because you were busting on a region of the country and touting the virtues of another region. I never ever mentioned a political party nor candidate nor a position. You went down the road first and I want to make a counterpoint.

You are mentioning specific people in your post and it is very political . It is well know the northeast and all those smart people have far higher death rates and do have bigger govt than other places. That is not a political statement and are indeed factual.

I should give you a moderator warning, but I won't this time. Part of my new moderating protocol is deescalation and not immediately handing out disciplinary action.

People act like playing football is the only risk players have related to Covid. Right now they are in a monitored, tested environment with protocols surrounding their behaviors. Are they less at risk if you cancel the season and just cut them loose? Playing football puts them in close contact with guys who are living with the same safety standards, walking around with no structure puts them in contact with a potentially riskier group.

People act like playing football is the only risk players have related to Covid. Right now they are in a monitored, tested environment with protocols surrounding their behaviors. Are they less at risk if you cancel the season and just cut them loose? Playing football puts them in close contact with guys who are living with the same safety standards, walking around with no structure puts them in contact with a potentially riskier group.
That is what is bizarre with all this stuff. You can't play football but, you can live in a dorm. You can eat in the cafeteria.

It changes with the wind. They make it up as they go.

I don't know why you guys keep saying that "they" are stopping people from doing anything. The country is pretty much fully opened-up at this point, which is a big reason why our infection rates and deaths are so much higher than the rest of the world.

Kids are already going back to packed schools in Georgia (and having outbreaks), churches all over the country are having in-person services (and having outbreaks), families are having picnics and family reunions (and having outbreaks)....you can do whatever you want to, it's a free country (full of outbreaks)!

I mean I guess if by "they" you mean "COVID particles," you're totally right.

I don't know why you guys keep saying that "they" are stopping people from doing anything. The country is pretty much fully opened-up at this point, which is a big reason why our infection rates and deaths are so much higher than the rest of the world.

Kids are already going back to packed schools in Georgia (and having outbreaks), churches all over the country are having in-person services (and having outbreaks), families are having picnics and family reunions (and having outbreaks)....you can do whatever you want to, it's a free country (full of outbreaks)!

You do realize "COVID particles" is basically THE problem, right?

Whats going to affect the younger population is not the exposure itself, its the viral load they'll be exposed to AKA the amount of viral particles the body takes in.

Even the healthy and youthful people, can die from too much of that, and with re-opening of schools, its potential for disaster.

Reactions: caliherd
You do realize "COVID particles" is basically THE problem, right?

Whats going to affect the younger population is not the exposure itself, its the viral load they'll be exposed to AKA the amount of viral particles the body takes in.

Even the healthy and youthful people, can die from too much of that, and with re-opening of schools, its potential for disaster.

Uhh, yeah, that was his entire fvcking point.

His point was "they" (Covid particles) are stopping people from doing anything once they become sick.

Not a violation because you were busting on a region of the country and touting the virtues of another region. I never ever mentioned a political party nor candidate nor a position. You went down the road first and I want to make a counterpoint.

You are mentioning specific people in your post and it is very political . It is well know the northeast and all those smart people have far higher death rates and do have bigger govt than other places. That is not a political statement and are indeed factual.

I should give you a moderator warning, but I won't this time. Part of my new moderating protocol is deescalation and not immediately handing out disciplinary action.

I am not a frequenter of this board, largely because of RA2. HOWEVER, what he presented about the education levels of the various regions is absolutely true. If you follow church attendence of those same regions for the past 2 decades or so, it's pretty much the same. If you follow who votes for who, you'll find that a uneducated, religious electorate votes a certain way. Those are facts. The problem is that neither the senate representation nor electorial college reflect what the educated majority of the nation's voters really want.

This country was founded by largely by men who were part of the age of reason...and the most important of those were irreligious in their public policy views even if they were personally religious.

Sadly, the dumb-ass people who literally believe the Genesis mythology are duped by their overlords [trust fund bitches (male & female) like the Waltons & the Hunts] who financially rape them while believing that their overlords' piss is a refreshing rain and vote against their own self interest.

Reactions: 19MU88

I take it back and would like to say, except the mass gatherings part which basically helps build the entirety of the NCAA's greed, isn't open nor does it seem like it will be for a while.
Maybe some percentages of people allowed in, with strict guidelines, but not at all what many in the topic of college sports, would say is open.

Last edited:

Yehh restaurants at 50 % capacity, bars closed in many places, gyms closed in many places and small business crushed. Yehh the are doing great. Especially in all those smart places where they have the highest unemployment rates in the country. Yehh they are doing great and oh, schools shut down, virtual, and colleges and the health care system near collapse,

Oh yeehh and half of America walking around scared shitless over a virus while wearing a home made cloth with rubber bands looped around their ears.

Things are normal.

Sorry about your vagina.

1) Read the whole post. Despite, of my personal 'feelings', when someone makes a valid DATA driven point (which I respect as a guy with a degree in physics), I will give credit. And your post was well-written & exactly on point regarding the levels of education which results in deficiencies in critical thinking, superstition, reliance on 'faith' & dogmatic rigidity instead of data driven evidence.
2) Your reaction to my first sentence confirms my point...even though I totally agree with your well-executed post, you reacted like a tRUMP-like pussy who can't stand anything that is said negatively regarding you. And I will say this out of respect: You are smart.
BUT YOU ARE NOT AS SMART AS EVERYONE ABOUT EVERYTHING. The current president has the same deadly flaw. Fortunately, you're not in the position where your ill-earned arrogance is killing people.

That statement is incorrect. US infection rates per capita are average among western industrial countries.

Like most of your claims, that is entirely false.

The U.S. infection rate per capita is the eight highest in the world. The only regions in the west ahead of it are Panama, Chile, and French Guiana, and it could be argued that at least one of those isn't considered "western industrial countries."

Our infection rate per capita is more than five times that of Canada's, about five times more than Mexico's, higher than every country's in Europe, and higher than every country in Central and South America except for one.

You can simply go to this database and filter the infection rate per capita category:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?utm_campaign=homeAdvegas1?

......And yet another thread derailed.

The thread is two pages long. Just like in normal verbal discussions, online discussions don't spend hours/days focusing on one very narrow topic.

The thread was about a conference cancelling the football season due to Covid. It isn't "derailed" for the discussion to evolve after multiple days/multiple pages into talking about the problem (Covid) and if it is actual or imagined.

Oh, we have another moron. Please, show us your source to support your claim that Samantha's post was accurate.
OK, but first that is why everyone is scared shitless. Oh my god infection rate. So what?

Look more at death rates and hospitalizations.

People are cowering in fear over number of cases and most people never have an issue with it.

NC has 1107 people hospitalized . Out of 10.5 million.

People are worried about a virus that is minuscule in death rate and hospitalizations.

You people are going to continue on until they lock us up every cold and flu season.

Cases because the new mantra by the media and certain others for gain. It makes the numbers look worse.

Furthermore, NY and NJ have nearly 1/3 of the total deaths in the USA. Think about that!

Here is all the data you need. People need to stop focusing in on number of cases. I know people that had it and never knew they had it. Were told they didn't have it, no you have it, nope, back and forth.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/county-map.html

Last edited:
OK, but first that is why everyone is scared shitless. Oh my god infection rate. So what?

Look more at death rates and hospitalizations.

People are cowering in fear over number of cases and most people never have an issue with it.

NC has 1107 people hospitalized . Out of 10.5 million.

People are worried about a virus that is minuscule in death rate and hospitalizations.

You people are going to continue on until they lock us up every cold and flu season.

Cases because the new mantra by the media and certain others for gain. It makes the numbers look worse.

Furthermore, NY and NJ have nearly 1/3 of the total deaths in the USA. Think about that!

Here is all the data you need. People need to stop focusing in on number of cases. I know people that had it and never knew they had it. Were told they didn't have it, no you have it, nope, back and forth.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/county-map.html

None of that has anything to do with Samantha's false claim and your support of his false claim. Worse, Samantha didn't just make a false claim - he actually had the gall to call somebody else out for being wrong, even though they weren't.

Now, are you going to show proof that what Samantha claimed (and what you supported) is accurate? You simply have to show that the U.S.' infection rate is average compared with the other western industrialized nations.

None of that has anything to do with Samantha's false claim and your support of his false claim. Worse, Samantha didn't just make a false claim - he actually had the gall to call somebody else out for being wrong, even though they weren't.

Now, are you going to show proof that what Samantha claimed (and what you supported) is accurate? You simply have to show that the U.S.' infection rate is average compared with the other western industrialized nations.
Sure, we can compare countries of the same size and with same freedoms and economic engines as us.

Infection rates mean very little by themselves.

This is why this whole thing is in question and is bull shit. The goal initially was to slow the curve. Now, people think that it should be to stop the disease entirely.

I am not sure where one would even get reliable and unbiased data.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Infection rates mean very little by themselves.

And again, you're trying to change the discussion to something else. You supported Samantha's claim that the U.S.' infection rate per capita was average for western industrialized nations. That's false, as I have shown.

So tell me why you would support his bogus claim.

please excuse him Sam. it isn't always easy to get the facts correct when you are in the middle of a straight up panic.

Oh, another moron. Trying to defend Samantha is like trying to defend Trump's lies - you end up looking like a fool. Fox News has learned that the hard way.

You've now supported Samantha's bogus claim. Show your source for the U.S. having an average per capita infection rate compared with the other industrialized western nations.

And again, you're trying to change the discussion to something else. You supported Samantha's claim that the U.S.' infection rate per capita was average for western industrialized nations. That's false, as I have shown.

So tell me why you would support his bogus claim.

Oh, another moron. Trying to defend Samantha is like trying to defend Trump's lies - you end up looking like a fool. Fox News has learned that the hard way.

You've now supported Samantha's bogus claim. Show your source for the U.S. having an average per capita infection rate compared with the other industrialized western nations.
political message above, should warn you but I won't. But, other moderators do not have my deescalation skills down yet.

I do this on a volunteer basis. Some people do it for monetary gain or fame. I do it because it is a calling.

You should accept at least a 0.5 FTE position. I hear Chris allows part-timers health insurance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT