ADVERTISEMENT

Danny D’Antoni - 3 wins from #3 AT...

The cost to bring in a team for a MMI would be about $90k per team for 2 of the 3 and a little less for a third

That’s the point....and actually a total in the $350-400k range when factor everything involved....simply not worth it.
When teams like UK, Cincinnati and many others realize it, it’s simple for everyone else to as well. I know Danny wants everything to be like and thinks things still operate like the 70’s but unless he has a sponsor willing to put 400-500k towards it it’s foolish to try it

DD will tell you it was MH who did not vote for moving the CUSA tournament to Myrtle Beach. Begs the question why MH would not want that tournament there when a huge Marshall Alumni/fan base would be present. Makes zero sense when no one goes to Texas.

It would take more than just Hamrick voting no for the tournament to not take place there

That’s the point....and actually a total in the $350-400k range when factor everything involved....simply not worth it.
When teams like UK, Cincinnati and many others realize it, it’s simple for everyone else to as well. I know Danny wants everything to be like and thinks things still operate like the 70’s but unless he has a sponsor willing to put 400-500k towards it it’s foolish to try it
when you pay a team $90k, like we get frequently on our money games, the team that gets the money pays their own expenses

when you pay a team $90k, like we get frequently on our money games, the team that gets the money pays their own expenses

That is true for a game. That is not the case for invitationals....When you host invitationals teams come in for a minimum of 2 games, which means a minimum of 2 most likely 3 nights lodging, transportation and meals....those costs add up.

When you host these events you either have to pay them an amount that the amount covers multiple dates like that, or you have to pay them a smaller amount and have sponsors cover other expenses. When Cincinnati hosted the Bearcat Classic for many years Delta Airlines was the main sponsor and they in turn covered the transportation for the 3 other teams to come in.

As you see in scheduling teams are valuing home games...it’s hard to get teams to give up at least 2-3 dates to go on the road unless compensated greatly for it. Forget about teams halfway decent to good going for it no way they’re doing that unless you’re guaranteeing they’ll be on ESPN 3 times.

That is true for a game. That is not the case for invitationals....When you host invitationals teams come in for a minimum of 2 games, which means a minimum of 2 most likely 3 nights lodging, transportation and meals....those costs add up.

When you host these events you either have to pay them an amount that the amount covers multiple dates like that, or you have to pay them a smaller amount and have sponsors cover other expenses. When Cincinnati hosted the Bearcat Classic for many years Delta Airlines was the main sponsor and they in turn covered the transportation for the 3 other teams to come in.

As you see in scheduling teams are valuing home games...it’s hard to get teams to give up at least 2-3 dates to go on the road unless compensated greatly for it. Forget about teams halfway decent to good going for it no way they’re doing that unless you’re guaranteeing they’ll be on ESPN 3 times.
the point is, our AD wouldn't even sit down with our HC to discuss this or going to a holiday tournament elsewhere

the point is, our AD wouldn't even sit down with our HC to discuss this or going to a holiday tournament elsewhere

Don’t see that quote as being 100% accurate. Might be what 1 person is wanting to go public or portraying but not 100% accurate

I have heard the fight has been over money for the program from day one. I know not playing WVU cost the program money and sure if MH blames Dan for that game getting cancelled or not.

Last edited:
I have heard the fight has been over money for the program from day one. I know not playing WVU cost the program money and sure if MH blames Dan for that game getting cancelled or not.
5150 - could the loss of a split-revenue game in Chas WV possibly be but a blip of a % of the mbb budget? And, why is the reno of Gullickson on hold? That has been talked about for 2 years! I know I know, baseball field for 40, but either $$ is being allocated or not! MBB has surely earned its keep during the D’Antoni years?

Reactions: 5150

All Dan said was “We’re back” and “If you don’t want to play you are afraid.” How was anyone, including MH, supposed to know Huggins would get so offended by this and overreact. Huggins went unreasonably nuts. It is true though, not having the game hurt us a lot and didn’t hurt them at all. And I didn’t like being matched up with them in the tournament and getting skunked.
https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sport...cle_02f02900-128a-501e-bf56-8f37c1cd718c.html

Reactions: 5150
All Dan said was “We’re back” and “If you don’t want to play you are afraid.” How was anyone, including MH, supposed to know Huggins would get so offended by this and overreact. Huggins went unreasonably nuts. It is true though, not having the game hurt us a lot and didn’t hurt them at all. And I didn’t like being matched up with them in the tournament and getting skunked.
https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sport...cle_02f02900-128a-501e-bf56-8f37c1cd718c.html

I will say with certainty that Huggs and his posse weren’t offended, they held Marshall in contempt long before DD’s comments. They merely saw it as an opening to end the series which had been a goal of BH since he arrived in M’town.
The day wvu joined the Big East in the 90’s any chance to stay within ear shot of them at least occasionally was over. Their recruiting profile rose considerably and MU stayed stagnant.

I will say with certainty that Huggs and his posse weren’t offended, they held Marshall in contempt long before DD’s comments. They merely saw it as an opening to end the series which had been a goal of BH since he arrived in M’town.
The day wvu joined the Big East in the 90’s any chance to stay within ear shot of them at least occasionally was over. Their recruiting profile rose considerably and MU stayed stagnant.

I agree, BH never liked that game anyway. Dan’s comment’s were a good excuse for BH to say, we don’t need you, don’t want to play you. I don’t really agree with you that after WVU joined the Big East we never got within earshot of them. They joined the Big East in 1994. We beat them 5 times between 1996 and 2011.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesapeake_Energy_Capital_Classic

Reactions: 19MU88
5150 - could the loss of a split-revenue game in Chas WV possibly be but a blip of a % of the mbb budget? And, why is the reno of Gullickson on hold? That has been talked about for 2 years! I know I know, baseball field for 40, but either $$ is being allocated or not! MBB has surely earned its keep during the D’Antoni years?
where do we stand with the renovations to Gullickson? I thought that was in with the baseball field financing package?

I agree, BH never liked that game anyway. Dan’s comment’s were a good excuse for BH to say, we don’t need you, don’t want to play you. I don’t really agree with you that after WVU joined the Big East we never got within earshot of them. They joined the Big East in 1994. We beat them 5 times between 1996 and 2011.

You’re right on, MU indeed won several games but any thought of ever being near their orbit was gone. Along with any chance of playing a game in Htgn.

....and 13 wins from #2. And let’s face it - #1, while not unattainable, would require Dan to coach until he is 90. He has been our HC for 6 seasons, and is averaging 19.17 wins per year. Next season (7) is going to have huge expectations, as it should. Everybody back + 2 highly regarded freshman who both could have Kinsey-like impact in their 1st season. I am pretty ready to bet Sam we will win 22.....should I?

btw - The Old Man’s 1st 6 seasons with MU? 119 wins. I would say DD is comparable @ 113....
What do the four teams that finished in from of MU in the Conference have coming back?

Believe the Herd played teams like VA Tech and Wake Forest in the CAM as recently as the Greg White era (and won both games). I know the WF game at home drew over 8,000 fans.

Like HM said, the college basketball landscape has changed since then. Remember when ESPN orchestrated games between Mid Majors like MU and had a marathon of them on their network, from early morning until late night? MU actually, under White, had a late game in the CAM against Delaware which was on ESPN back when Mike Bray of Notre Dame coached the Blue Hens! Now, 99.98% of ESPN's emphasis and interest is solely on about 6 or 7 "major" conference teams and to heck with the rest of the teams in D1!

Until MU wins enough games consistently over a period of years, including the post season, and thus makes itself attractive to some good in season tourneys where it can possibly play major foes on a neutral floor, then it will have to settle for MAC teams and whatever MEAC and similar "who dat" schools the Global tourney brings to Huntington! Don't know what Danny's thinking is regarding nearby Morehead and EKU, especially when everybody, in AND out of the program, complains about all the travel in CUSA!! And as for their gym facilities, heck they are equal or better than those at FIU, FAU, UTSA in the league and the Rhodes Arena (JAR) at Akron!!

As for the improvements/upgrades at Gullickson for the basketball program, if people want to see them then more people need to give $$$$$ to the HERD Rises Campaign!! The first priority in the Campaign is to fund and get built the new baseball facility. The preliminary bids for that project coming in at around $28 to 29 million instead of an estimated $22 million or so obviously has thrown a monkey wrench into the process, if not bringing it to a screeching halt, given the greater than usual SILENCE coming from the Athletic Department and Mike Hamrick!!!

where do we stand with the renovations to Gullickson? I thought that was in with the baseball field financing package?
as I stated above. It is expected that no work will be done on the basketball upgrades until baseball is completed. We now have no idea that timetable

as I stated above. It is expected that no work will be done on the basketball upgrades until baseball is completed. We now have no idea that timetable

Not to change the subject, but whoever handled the bid process and cost estimates should be fired. It was a colossal failure. No way the cost estimates and bids be THAT far off. Poorly handled.

Expectations - I realize the world is shut down, but talking about next year w/o knowing who we will play, who is recruited or coming back in conference, etc, is foolish. Mid-October is about when you can start to think about the season.

MMI - The economics of in-season on-campus tournaments no longer exist. AFAIK, nobody really does these anymore. Forget about it.

Live gate, generally - There was a time when MU was consistently in the top 80 in basketball live gate, and sometimes in the top 30. What a decline this program has made.

WVU series - DD’s unfortunate comments had nothing to do with the deal. WVU NEVER wanted to play MU, but after WVU began its rise and we began our decline, the disparate levels of the programs made ending the series the right thing to do. We are just not on their level anymore.

CUSA tournament in SC - Link please. First I have heard about it. Where would they play? The 3370 seat CCU arena, which isn’t in Myrtle Beach but in Conway, which is a glorified trailer park? Some high school? The MB convention center, which is over 50 years old? (Memo: When MU football gets sent to the MB Bowl, all of you remember how you believed MB was just great for the CUSA tournament and how many WVians and MU alumni were in that area and all of that, before commenting on how so much above going to such a thing MU football is/should be.)

Schedule - With all the CUSA travel, MU OOC basketball should look for bus trips. A couple of step up games, a couple of even-up games (MAC mostly) and a couple of lower level games. MU has been using this in-season tournament exemption for non-travel “events” that end with the step-up game. A trip to an vacation destination for a real tournament would be better.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
true we did upset them twice during the years you mentioned and beat them straight up 3 other times. . But as much as it pains me to say it ,their program went up and has since continued to elevate since joining the Big 12. Since Beilien took over and continuing with BH they have been in the Final AP Top 25 seven times. So in the rivalry matchup you are correct, we played them well. But we have remained at the level we were in during the 90's they haven't.They have also won 10 of the last 11 games during that period.

ADVERTISEMENT