ADVERTISEMENT

Devon Johnson status

What is his status for Friday?

I have been searching all over the internet trying to figure this out, does anyone know or expect anything one way or the other? Work with a bunch of USM guys, hope yall run them out of the stadium!!!

With no mention yet, I would expect him to be out again to be honest. Hope I am wrong, we need him back in form.

If we play up to our potential, play smart, and cut out our cheap-thug shots we should get the win, and you will get last laughs on your work cohorts.

You know, until we see Rocked back on the field, Landon has not been proven mistaken. Doc likes misdirection when it comes to players.

Last I read Doc said he would almost for sure practice yesterday or today. No idea if that happened or not though.

I dont think he is going to be ready. If he plays Friday look for him to re-injure something. I think he needs a significant amount of time off given his injuries. I think if he plays, he will be fighting the injury bug the rest of the year and will never be 100%. As bad as his ankles are and with a bulging disc in his back, he is simply not going to get better by resting two weeks. I think its a bad decision to play him. Yeah, he might look great for a half or even the entire game but long term I dont think its good for him or the team.

Is a medical redshirt now out of question?

Seems we would be better off trying to give him a fresh start next year. He will be playing less than 100% and scouts may not take notice.

I understand that Devon still has a redshirt coming. At this point, I'd just as soon heal him up and have him back next year -- that would be best for his pro career. Would not be surprised if that is what Doc is shooting for. Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee will lose a lot of players; Unless that Hilltopper Q-back is granted a seventh season and with the experience some of our younger ones are getting, that would put us right back in the catbird's seat. If Birdsong really was decent before he got hurt, I also would not be surprised to see Litton redshirted like Chad was. Just an old sage considering all possibilities.

Also,some people are crying that we are not getting as high a rated recruits as we were a year or two ago. I trust Doc and his staff to go get players they know will develop. Until know, we haven't had that luxury in the program. His old coach, Don Nehlen, was a master at that.

I understand that Devon still has a redshirt coming.

I don't think this is true. Devon has already played in his fourth year so a redshirt year isn't an option at this point. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe his only option (should that be the route chosen) would be a medical redshirt which you can't petition the ncaa for until the season is over. I think there are some specific requirements for eligibility of a MR (which I don't know) and it isn't automatic. I'm sure someone else can elaborate but the notion of him having another year isn't guaranteed.

Hey, Big Mike,
Can you give us all the scoop on medical redshirts? Seems to be a lot of varying opinions floating around out here in Ciber Herdland.

Hey, Big Mike,
Can you give us all the scoop on medical redshirts? Seems to be a lot of varying opinions floating around out here in Ciber Herdland.
Usually injury has to be in first half of the season AND player had to have competed In only 2 games, Didn't DJ compete in the first 4? I think you'll doscover he won't be eligible. And.you can't petition until the end of the year.

Reactions: 31Herd55
He competed in the first game, the second game (only positive of the game), had 122 yards against Norfolk, saw 5 snaps against kent, and none against ODU. I personally like Pittman, he is no Johnson (yet) but that kid is as physical as they come, now if he was 10lbs heavier................

I think a medical redshirt is a possibility. It is based on the % of games and can be rounded down.

He has to layer in 4 games which when rounded is 30% of the year. IF he was going to redshirt he can not participate in any more contest. Guys instead of speculating go straight to the source. All NCAA rules are posted online. All you ha e to do is a quick Google search.

With that said according to piece in the gazette today he will be full go tonight

my people tell me that both johnson and watson will play.

van horn however is questionable

agreed - right side of line is porous without him and that is being generous.

Addison was very good at the end of Kent State and in OT. I like my chances with him if Van Horn has to sit.

A couple of points... Johnson has participated in 4 games meaning if he plays one snap tonight that is his 5th and any type of redshirt/hardship waiver, whatever would be toast.

Also, I do not think another year of college ball is in his best interest. Even if he were to sit the rest of the year his best option would likely be getting healthy for the combine and hope to impress an NFL team enough to take a flyer on him (ala Ahmad Bradshaw)... Another year of college ball is just another year of abuse on that back/ankle/elbow etc. and he has done a good job of proving himself at this level over the last two years.

Pittman will be fine... We could definitely use VanHorn against the USM front.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT