ADVERTISEMENT

DJ

Happy for Donnie...a classy guy in my opinion. He served Marshall Hoops well and a good friend to Dan.....

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Happy for Donnie...a classy guy in my opinion.

Let's review this:

A coach who was suspended for three conference games, who was using a convicted felon working for a sports agent to help recruit players to Orlando, who had to vacate wins, who earned his school a postseason ban, who earned his school a reduction in scholarships, who earned his school a fine, who earned his school a reduction in official visits, and who earned his school the title of "lack of institutional control" is a "class guy."

HerdNation never ceases to entertain me.

Post Huck and Post Sonny, IMHO,

Altman. No real issue, the Big 8 was a step up. MU was on probation.
Freeman. Fired. I believe in second chances and wished the guy well. Some people around him played the race card relative to his retention, which was silly.
Donovan. No issue. Its the SEC.
White. Never did anything to qualify him for the job, people rooted for the "story" which never happened. He tried hard, he just wasn't good enough. Eventually "resigned" Wish him well, last I heard he was fund raising for UC.
Jirsa. Just not good enough, fired. Never should have been hired. He is bouncing around the lifetime assistant ranks, never will get another chance. No issue with the guy.
Herrion. Just not good enough, had a liquor problem, fired. Never should have been hired, and is thus the one black mark on MH's otherwise perfect resume. Likewise now bouncing around the lifetime assistant ranks, he never will get another chance. Wish him well with his difficult personal life.

Parrish. No issue, while K-State then was not what K-State is now, was still a lightyears better job. Post K-State career is hard to believe, guy should have gotten a second chance far sooner than he did. Retired now?
Chaump. No real issue. Navy was a step up. Did phone in his last year.
Donnan. It is not only the SEC, it is the TOP LEVEL of the SEC. You take that job. Done wrong at UGa. Wish him well, don't know about his finances due that that deal he fell into with that crook. He is on Feinbaum sometimes.
Pruett. God bless Bob Pruett.
Snyder. Just not good enough. Bad hire. Was given the correct amount of time, perhaps a year too much, to prove himself, and just was not good enough. Not his fault. Wish him well. Career assistant, probably.

And then there is that sawed off, lying, backstabbing, sack of human excrement, Donnie Jones. You just do not leave for another team in the same conference, at least not at this level (leaving, say, Clemson basketball to take the UNC job; or Kentucky football to take the Florida job might be a different discussion). Ungrateful. Always complaining. Could not bench coach his way out of a wet paper bag. Ran a dirty program at UCF. Failed at UCF (and NOBODY knew that UCF was going to change conferences when he went there, it was a 100% lateral move) bounced around and is now at Stetson, which is probably a tier below CUSA in the mid-major pecking order. We were on the right path, MH was going to, and eventually did, solve the travel issues and the other issues. Wish him ill. I will note ever Stetson score and root for whoever plays them, even WVU or Duke.

I rooted hard for Donnie while he was at Marshall and continue to root for his teams now. Simply put, he got a big pay increase to go to UCF and one could argue that UCF was an easier sell for recruits. Didn’t work out for him there, but he landed on his feet, had some good assistant gigs and is now back in the saddle as a D1 coach. I really don’t see any difference in a coach managing his career any different than a business executive, or (insert any career here) managing theirs. He took a better job for more money IN FLORIDA (no state tax and oh yea, the weather isn’t bad either) because he saw it as a step up.

I rooted hard for Donnie while he was at Marshall and continue to root for his teams now. Simply put, he got a big pay increase to go to UCF and one could argue that UCF was an easier sell for recruits. Didn’t work out for him there, but he landed on his feet, had some good assistant gigs and is now back in the saddle as a D1 coach. I really don’t see any difference in a coach managing his career any different than a business executive, or (insert any career here) managing theirs. He took a better job for more money IN FLORIDA (no state tax and oh yea, the weather isn’t bad either) because he saw it as a step up.
UCF may have offered more etc, but anyone in the business field/working for a living etc, knows that you don't go about changing jobs in the fashion that he did. If I am not mistaken he did the interviewing right in middle of playing in the CIT.... That's not good ethics and one of the biggest reasons why herd fans dislike that man. You do that in the workforce anywhere and you burn Bridges.

Just the shady way he did it is what turned me on the guy. Then the sleazy way he wormed his way into the Cam when he brought UCF here to play. He knew he did things the wrong way or he wouldn't have sneaked in the back door.

May have a point there, but luckily they didn't catch him doing it here. During his time here it was a little easier to recruit as well, we could sell playing memphis, UTEP was always a tourney threat as well as UAB. Houston was too up and down to include them in that. Regardless, if a coach really gave his all in recruiting back then, he could field a very competitive team with some 3 star average players. Doesn't seem to be the case these days, I dunno.

I broke the news here that he was leaving. My wife was on the flight to Charlotte with DJ that Sunday morning. I told her to see if he boarded her connection to Orlando and when he did I broke the news.
Poor guy was tip toeing around Tri State but he couldn’t avoid being seen even at 6:30 am.

Poor guy was tip toeing around Tri State but he couldn’t avoid being seen even at 6:30 am.

"Poor" ?

"Poor" ?

People that have to sneak out of airports at 6 AM are doing so because they are dishonest lying backstabbing traitorous POSs, and deserve no sympathy.

So why all the fuss about Donnie now taking the Stetson job. Who on here would not change jobs when the end result means providing more for your family? All of us would and you know it. Sure the timing, school, team all made us mad but in the end I’m sure he had the interest of his family first and not Marshall. Time to move on.

Reactions: Elkview
As well as Pitts and Baines, Dago, we had a decent squad of players, just a crap x and o coach
It pains me to say it, but I think the 2010-11 Herd would have put a hurting on recent Herd teams, even with the greatest scorer in MU history on the team. We look terrible against teams that are physical, and those teams definitely were that.

It pains me to say it, but I think the 2010-11 Herd would have put a hurting on recent Herd teams, even with the greatest scorer in MU history on the team. We look terrible against teams that are physical, and those teams definitely were that.
I agree, we had real players then even if our coach was a cock s*ckEr. I am not throwing off on what we have now, but talent was evident back then, to compete with memphis without getting blown out took talent. We were physical, we rebounded and played physical defense. Some don't believe those to be necessary, I do though.

Reactions: herdalicious
He paid for his trip to FL to interview for the job with our recruiting money that wasn't actually used for recruiting.;)

I agree, we had real players then even if our coach was a cock s*ckEr. I am not throwing off on what we have now, but talent was evident back then, to compete with memphis without getting blown out took talent. We were physical, we rebounded and played physical defense. Some don't believe those to be necessary, I do though.
The problem was that most of those players on those teams couldn't shoot a lick so we had to be able to rebound or we would blown out most games.

Last edited:
The problem was that most of those players on those teams couldn't shoot lick so we had to be able to rebound or we would blown out most games.
Penja was pretty good as a 6th man for 3 point shot, Pitts would hit them when open. Baines you are right about, he made up for the lack of offense in favor of rebounding and defense. We gave Kentucky a good run for their money with that squad and was always in it with memphis. Kane came after pitts I think, he was dismissed or something too if i remember correctly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT