ADVERTISEMENT

Doc's Salary ranks 95th in FBS and 8th in CUSA

There are only 130 FBS head coaching jobs. There's not a coach out there who could come close to making half their salary doing anything else. Over 90% of them run a business that loses money for their employer. If schools brought them in and said they were cutting their pay in half, what exactly would they do? Well, the ones that have already made fortunes may quit, but the rest could either suck it up or go sell insurance and hope they are good enough to make a couple hundred grand a year.

I tell you, no way I would be an assistant coach at a G5 school, working 100 hours a week for $100,000 a year while the HC makes $800,000 or a million. If a HC was smart and really wanted to be successful they would kick a large portion of their salary back into the assistant pool so that their pay was about 2x that of the coordinators and about 3x the other assistants. Right now I would say it's about 4x and 10x. Not only could you hire better coaches for your staff, you would have guys that feel more engaged and loyal because they know you are valuing them more.

There's not a coach out there who could come close to making half their salary doing anything else.

Joe Moglia is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, was the former chairman/CEO of TD Ameritrade, and his salary as a head coach is $400,000. Something tells me he'd laugh at your comment.

Dabo was making $300,000 in commercial real estate. Now, I know he is making a lot more than twice that much, but there are plenty of FBS head coaches who make less than $600,000 (twice that amount) which shows some of these guys have more to offer than coaching.

I tell you, no way I would be an assistant coach at a G5 school, working 100 hours a week for $100,000 a year

Pfft. I had a coordinator title at an FBS and was told it was only $60,000 . . . then it went to $55,000 . . . then it went to "hopefully he [the AD] will approve $50,000 for it."

MTSU has two full-time guys at about $50,000. Texas State has a full-time guy at about $53,000. There are dozens of MAC, C-USA, and Sun Belt guys who are only making in the $50s and $60s.

Lets not forget the cost of living in some of this assessment too... It costs a heck of a lot more to live and coach at say San Jose State than it does at Marshall... When market is considered, Doc making $762K allows him to live more than comfortably.

Also, aren't there incentives built into his base deal... Specifically for CUSA titles and Bowl games?

Joe Moglia is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, was the former chairman/CEO of TD Ameritrade, and his salary as a head coach is $400,000. Something tells me he'd laugh at your comment.

Dabo was making $300,000 in commercial real estate. Now, I know he is making a lot more than twice that much, but there are plenty of FBS head coaches who make less than $600,000 (twice that amount) which shows some of these guys have more to offer than coaching.

Pfft. I had a coordinator title at an FBS and was told it was only $60,000 . . . then it went to $55,000 . . . then it went to "hopefully he [the AD] will approve $50,000 for it."

MTSU has two full-time guys at about $50,000. Texas State has a full-time guy at about $53,000. There are dozens of MAC, C-USA, and Sun Belt guys who are only making in the $50s and $60s.
Come on Yaggs you cherry picked 2 guys who made big money doing something else besides coaching. Banker is correct. Only 20% of American households break the 100,000 per year income barrier. Just do a Google search of jobs that pay over 100,000 per year. Please list all of the jobs where most coaches in college football could go out and land a job making over 100,000 with no experience in the field or the education required. This should be classic

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...s-pay-100-000-more-them-technology/987194002/

Last edited:
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
If I remember correctly, hasn't Doc foregone some of his potential salary increases in order to pay his assistants more $$$. Good idea to retain good assistants.

a30b6323832cbbb0d356206bdec062d6--cool-memes-awesome-meme.jpg

College football is a deck of cards waiting to crumble. Wait until the next big recession or international war, etc. People are going to get tired of football coaches making $7 million a year especially when they and their kids are borrowing tons of money to go to school.

It is going to collapse at some point.

If you are flooded out of a home twice in 23 months in North Carolina are you happy for Roy Williams right now or Fedora or the guys at NC State? Or would you rather have a home or the road fixed? Or your kids school built back? Counties with every school damaged and all the D1 coaches in NC are probably making $15 million a year or more combined.

Last edited:
College football is a deck of cards waiting to crumble. Wait until the next big recession or international war, etc. People are going to get tired of football coaches making $7 million a year especially when they and their kids are borrowing tons of money to go to school.

I agree with you 100%

Come on Yaggs you cherry picked 2 guys who made big money doing something else besides coaching. Banker is correct. Only 20% of American households break the 100,000 per year income barrier. Just do a Google search of jobs that pay over 100,000 per year. Please list all of the jobs where most coaches in college football could go out and land a job making over 100,000 with no experience in the field or the education required. This should be classic

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...s-pay-100-000-more-them-technology/987194002/

Banker said "there's not a coach out there . . . " With approximately 130 FBS schools, I easily showed two that refute his claim. There are FBS head coaches who have law degrees and many (I'm guessing the overwhelming majority) FBS head coaches have advanced college degrees. Besides the two I showed and the few with law degrees, I'm guessing at least a quarter of FBS head coaches would have no trouble finding a job outside of football earning them $100,000 (since you brought that into the discussion) in sales, real estate, middle management, etc.

Banker said "there's not a coach out there . . . " With approximately 130 FBS schools, I easily showed two that refute his claim. There are FBS head coaches who have law degrees and many (I'm guessing the overwhelming majority) FBS head coaches have advanced college degrees. Besides the two I showed and the few with law degrees, I'm guessing at least a quarter of FBS head coaches would have no trouble finding a job outside of football earning them $100,000 (since you brought that into the discussion) in sales, real estate, middle management, etc.
Maybe through their connections.

There are only 130 FBS head coaching jobs. There's not a coach out there who could come close to making half their salary doing anything else. Over 90% of them run a business that loses money for their employer. If schools brought them in and said they were cutting their pay in half, what exactly would they do? Well, the ones that have already made fortunes may quit, but the rest could either suck it up or go sell insurance and hope they are good enough to make a couple hundred grand a year.

I tell you, no way I would be an assistant coach at a G5 school, working 100 hours a week for $100,000 a year while the HC makes $800,000 or a million. If a HC was smart and really wanted to be successful they would kick a large portion of their salary back into the assistant pool so that their pay was about 2x that of the coordinators and about 3x the other assistants. Right now I would say it's about 4x and 10x. Not only could you hire better coaches for your staff, you would have guys that feel more engaged and loyal because they know you are valuing them more.
Doc's salary hasn't gone up much at all since coming to MU, but he has lobbied hard over the years to get more money in the budget for his assistants instead. A few $100K per year on top of what we pay now for the assistants pool could go a long way to improve the potential coaching staff we could have at MU. The only coaches only making around $100K per year at MU are the position coaches as the coordinators make 2-3 times that much. In comparison to the other top school G5 schools we are falling behind in coaching staff pay, and it is obvious that we are getting Doc at a pretty good price overall. I would love to see us have the ability to up the coaching staff budget by $500K when necessary so that we can be competitive for assistants when going after assistants to replace the guys we lose or to help retain the good ones we want to keep. Honestly, I expect the budget to shrink over time as the old and fan base dies off as we certainly don't seem to have many young MU fans out there at this point o gives us a solid fan base in the future.

Reactions: ohio herd
pd agree with aging fan base, lack of interest in Marshall athletics among young grads, and not to mention Huntington now has a population around 47,000 and shrinking. Hard for such a small group to continue to sustain Marshall athletics moving forward.

Allow me to throw a jab in here: Most college football HC's aren't entering the coaching workforce after putting in 25 years doing something else. Look at Doc as a great example. He spent, what 22 years (I don't know the actual number) as an asst with various titles, probably not making a princely sum of money. And, for the love of the sport, these assts stay in there, trying to work their way up to potentially becoming a HC somewheres (for YAGS). When they reach that level, they should start to see a financial reward for all of that effort! I believe the salary Doc is making is by no means extravagant. How do you place a value on a Head football coach? If we as fans are getting a reaction (in all of its various forms, from joyous high tenning to anguish as we cover our hand with our mouth) , then you have to weigh that into the picture. Ultimately, the performance of the players on the field, the way the program is run and the behavior of the student athletes, both inside and outside of the classroom, will translate into value. Value to the school in the form of income, exposure to potential future students, and the reputation of the University vs its peer schools. Whether that value is mutually beneficial to the coaching staff and the school will determine whether they stay or go. I hope college football will be around a long time!
OK, more than a jab. More like a flurry....
WS

You didn't show anything. Dabo makes 10 times as a head coach the number he made before. That reinforces my point. The other guy made a fortune and decided to use his money to pursue a post career hobby to do something that interests him. By no means is he reflective of any other coach out there. Mark Cuban could name himself coach of the Mavs tomorrow, that wouldn't be a valid comparison either for this convo.

Go ahead and name the job Doc could get tomorrow outside of football that would pay him $400,000, or feel free to use any G5 coach as an example.

You didn't show anything.

Don't be stupid. You said:

"There's not a coach out there who could come close to making half their salary doing anything else."

I showed you one. But you want to change the rules. You claimed that didn't count for some absurd excuse. Of course, your excuse is even more pathetic when revealing that Moglia was a D1 defensive coordinator for years before he started his business career.

Okay, how about this, there is only one FBS coach out there. Does that work for you? Ironically, he would support the other side of my argument. You could cut his pay in half and he wouldn't go anywhere.

Also, get off the strawman argument about coaches with advanced degrees, law degree, etc. how many lawyers who don't start in a practice until they are 40-50, even 60 years old make any real money if they can even get hired?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Also, it would appear my flurry caught Rifle on the chin, knocked him to the floor for a mandatory 10 count! His eyes look glazed....

Okay, how about this, there is only one FBS coach out there. Does that work for you? Ironically, he would support the other side of my argument. You could cut his pay in half and he wouldn't go anywhere.

No. Almost all of these guys have advanced degrees. Most of them have high management/leadership experience and abilities. Many have huge egos. All of those things lead to them doing quite well in the private sector. Many of these guys are making between $400,000 - $600,000, which means to fit your mold, they'd have to make $200,000-$300,000 in the private sector. Many of the 128 (or whatever it is now) FBS coaches could make that much. Hell, a longtime FBS assistant who was recently at Kansas resigned to make that much $300,000 in the oil business helping a friend's business. He turned down the first offer of $225,000 even though it was more than he was making coaching, but his friend wanted his skill-set so badly that he offered him an additional $75,000. There are plenty of head coaches, even at the lower end, who would have those opportunities.

Also, get off the strawman argument about coaches with advanced degrees, law degree, etc. how many lawyers who don't start in a practice until they are 40-50, even 60 years old make any real money if they can even get hired?

You clearly don't know what straw man argument is. A straw man is an argument which seems to refute the other person's argument, however, the argument was never made by the other person to begin with.

I argued that there are many FBS head coaches with law degrees/advanced degrees which would help their careers in the private sector. How, in any way, is that a straw man against you? Christ. Don't throw shit out there unless you know what they mean.

Allow me to throw a jab in here: Most college football HC's aren't entering the coaching workforce after putting in 25 years doing something else. Look at Doc as a great example. He spent, what 22 years (I don't know the actual number) as an asst with various titles, probably not making a princely sum of money. And, for the love of the sport, these assts stay in there, trying to work their way up to potentially becoming a HC somewheres (for YAGS). When they reach that level, they should start to see a financial reward for all of that effort! I believe the salary Doc is making is by no means extravagant. How do you place a value on a Head football coach? If we as fans are getting a reaction (in all of its various forms, from joyous high tenning to anguish as we cover our hand with our mouth) , then you have to weigh that into the picture. Ultimately, the performance of the players on the field, the way the program is run and the behavior of the student athletes, both inside and outside of the classroom, will translate into value. Value to the school in the form of income, exposure to potential future students, and the reputation of the University vs its peer schools. Whether that value is mutually beneficial to the coaching staff and the school will determine whether they stay or go. I hope college football will be around a long time!
OK, more than a jab. More like a flurry....
WS

The discussion was about college coaches salaries......what part of your brain doesn’t comprende’??
Your failed contention is that plenty of college football coaches came into the profession only after making big money in a different type of job (corporate CEO, Investment firm, Commercial real estate)
How are my comments not germaine to the debate?

College football is a deck of cards waiting to crumble.

It is not going to collapse, but there is going to be a major retrenchment and lots of schools are going to end sports.

HBO had a good story on this on its Real Sports show last year. The G5 and I-AA levels are where the shakeup will happen. Students, often older than traditional college age, with the large majority (60% and growing) being female, are using colleges to retrain. Paying an extra 1000 or more for an "athletic fee" is just not whant they want or need. People that are really into sports self-select themselves into colleges with sports.

When ESPN's over-bid contract with the MAC runs out, what does the MAC do?

There will probably be 80 to 100 I-A programs in 10 years. The question for Marshall is, given the state's virtual bankruptcy, the huge decline in population, not only in Huntington but in the half of the state MU serves, and the growing disinterest in sports of the students and recent grads, is do we want to be one of those?

Reactions: WV-FAN
The discussion was about college coaches salaries......what part of your brain doesn’t comprende’??

You posted a bunch of random shit that didn't refute anything I argued. Hell, it didn't even contest or discuss anything I argued. Then, like usual, you make some absurdly pathetic attempt that your post was some sort of great argument that I couldn't respond to.

Your failed contention is that plenty of college football coaches came into the profession only after making big money in a different type of job (corporate CEO, Investment firm, Commercial real estate)

What in the fvck are you talking about? I never even remotely argued that "plenty of college football coaches came into the profession only after making big money in a different type of job" let alone that being my "contention."

Banker claimed that there wasn't a single FBS head coach who could make even half of his annual football earnings in any other type of job. I gave him two examples of coaches who had a lot of success outside of footbal - one making an income more than 100x his football income - to disprove his "not a single coach" comment.

Your post briefly touched upon the fact that most head coaches spend many years as assistants (well no shit) and then the majority of the post discussed how head football coaches bring value to their university and earn the high incomes. None of that has anything to do with what Banker and I were discussing, yet you somehow found a way to mention me in your post. Then, to top it off, you claimed that your post was a "jab" and then a "flurry" as if it even remotely refuted either of our arguments, let alone even touched upon what we were discussing.

You try so hard to be a part of every conversation that you just post random shit that has nothing to do with what is being discussed, then you crown yourself the champion of the argument well everyone else is wondering what the hell you are even talking about.

You posted a bunch of random shit that didn't refute anything I argued. Hell, it didn't even contest or discuss anything I argued. Then, like usual, you make some absurdly pathetic attempt that your post was some sort of great argument that I couldn't respond to.

What in the fvck are you talking about? I never even remotely argued that "plenty of college football coaches came into the profession only after making big money in a different type of job" let alone that being my "contention."

Banker claimed that there wasn't a single FBS head coach who could make even half of his annual football earnings in any other type of job. I gave him two examples of coaches who had a lot of success outside of footbal - one making an income more than 100x his football income - to disprove his "not a single coach" comment.

Your post briefly touched upon the fact that most head coaches spend many years as assistants (well no shit) and then the majority of the post discussed how head football coaches bring value to their university and earn the high incomes. None of that has anything to do with what Banker and I were discussing, yet you somehow found a way to mention me in your post. Then, to top it off, you claimed that your post was a "jab" and then a "flurry" as if it even remotely refuted either of our arguments, let alone even touched upon what we were discussing.

You try so hard to be a part of every conversation that you just post random shit that has nothing to do with what is being discussed, then you crown yourself the champion of the argument well everyone else is wondering what the hell you are even talking about.
....well, apparently you're the only one.....

....well, apparently you're the only one.....

No. That is why those arguments you think are so damning against my stances - even though they don't even contest anything I have typed - are left with no responses from anyone, only to then force you into claiming that they left me (and everyone else) speechless because they were such strong arguments.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT