ADVERTISEMENT

Don't be a Dick

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
Two requests:

1) Don't go around asking people "where do/did you go to college?" It's insensitive to assume that. I was in Houston a couple of weeks ago eating at a small pizza joint. While eating, a group of young guys came in to order. One of them said to the girl behind the counter, "hey, you went to my high school. You go to UH, right?" She shyly said "no." He then said "oh, that's right. You go to UT-Austin?" She again said "no." He then said "well where do you go?" And she responded that she doesn't go to college. It was an uncomfortable exchange to watch, and you could tell that she was embarrassed. I went up to pretend I needed some napkins and said "guys will try any line to hit on a girl, huh" to try and make her feel better. I spent the next 20 minutes trying to figure out how I could somehow let her know that if she wanted to go to school, I could help her, but didn't want to offend her even more if she had no desire or couldn't for another reason.

2) If your 10 year old brat made the Little League all-star team, you don't have to put one of those moving sign things in your yard boasting about it. Tell Little Johnny that you're proud of his accomplishment, but it's tacky with the signs. More, there are plenty of kids who are upset that they didn't make the team. It's not about everybody getting a trophy, but there's no reason to remind the kid of that each time he drives down his street and sees all of his peers who were selected. If you live in the sticks, then fine. But my little town is absurdly full of kids, and I'm sure many kids who weren't selected have to see numerous signs each day boasting about their brat having made the team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT