ADVERTISEMENT

DONT OPEN.....

Fastenal? That's where we are at first, then head to West lot 👍
Need a Herd Nation tailgate.
Lot right across the street from the marshall rec center. Between 5th Ave and Stadium Alley. It is technically considered "west lot".

Didn't there used to be a Herd Nation tailgate years ago?

Reactions: ru4_mu2
Attendance is what it is.

Did Kiffen and Saban call out their fans for not showing up? Sure, and apples to oranges. They are coaching WINNING top ranked teams in the SEC. Mostly they were calling out fans for spending too much time tailgating and leaving during the garbage time. Anyone who watches Feinbaum knows that there is plenty of interest in the SEC.

This is different. It wasn’t really just the weather. It is about a team that pulled off a great upset and then wet the bed against two bottom feeder programs who won’t win 8 games between them. It is, and this may be un-fixable, about a coach that used the one highlight of his tenure so far to insult the people that make his job possible.

The real question is how many show up to see us probably play with low effort against a mediocre team on a week night? My bet is it looks more like the several dozen who show up for week night maction, than what the SBC has been getting.
But, but Sam, I distinctly recall you stating that Coach Charles Huff earned your respect?

But, but Sam, I distinctly recall you stating that Coach Charles Huff earned your respect?
poof-magic.gif

He GONE!

• Haha
Reactions: ru4_mu2
Empty seats is one thing.

Saturday was something completely different.
Dude, it was GARDNER-WEBB in the rain. And after two shitty embarrasing losses. And people could watch it in the comfort of their own home. If Coastal Carolina comes into the Joan on October 29 and they are 7-0 and hardly anyone shows up, than that is f..ked up and you can legitimatly complain.

You know it. I mean if I were you, I wouldn't come back. Might get shot, robbed, car stolen. Who knows what might happen.
Dont believe it. I hear Htgn has a tremendous quality of life (especially, when attending MU football games are optional due to weather, age, over a 30 min drive to stadium, rusty urinals, no rivals, empty hot dogs stands, loud speakers/music, shitty coaches, dont play anybody, play somebody--but we suck, etc, etc. ).

I didn't know you and Perkins shared an account... I assume you two have a ledger of which of us on here are "real" fans.
Struck a nerve I see.

No. I gave Perkins shit on here during the later years of the Doc era. I still believed Doc should have been gone a few years sooner than he was. I'm just willing to give a new coach more than a couple seasons to figure things out. I get pissed and disappointed like the rest of you. But I'm also willing to be patient and support the program and team by showing up during these early phases of change. I did this for Doc, I'll do it for Huff. Has Huff made some mistakes? Absolutely. Can and should we be better? Absolutely. I think there needs to be major offensive coaching changes this off season.

Considering I drive in from 5 1/2 hours away to attend home games, despite having the ability to sit at home and watch a shitty telecast if I want, makes it odd to me that the HTGN area can muster up enough people to put in the stands to even fill the Cam. I read and see claims of all these herd fans that "love" the team. Why cant I ask... "Where is it? Where are they?"

Some of you guys get pissed at a coach for claiming "living in Htgn is hard", "he wants to leave" while at the same time giving every lazy excuse in the book why living in the Htgn area is so hard and showing up to the game just isn't worth it. So yes, the "fans" behavior in this regard is pitiful.

• Love
Reactions: Aaron Perkins
Struck a nerve I see.

No. I gave Perkins shit on here during the later years of the Doc era. I still believed Doc should have been gone a few years sooner than he was. I'm just willing to give a new coach more than a couple seasons to figure things out. I get pissed and disappointed like the rest of you. But I'm also willing to be patient and support the program and team by showing up during these early phases of change. I did this for Doc, I'll do it for Huff. Has Huff made some mistakes? Absolutely. Can and should we be better? Absolutely. I think there needs to be major offensive coaching changes this off season.

Considering I drive in from 5 1/2 hours away to attend home games, despite having the ability to sit at home and watch a shitty telecast if I want, makes it odd to me that the HTGN area can muster up enough people to put in the stands to even fill the Cam. I read and see claims of all these herd fans that "love" the team. Why cant I ask... "Where is it? Where are they?"

Some of you guys get pissed at a coach for claiming "living in Htgn is hard", "he wants to leave" while at the same time giving every lazy excuse in the book why living in the Htgn area is so hard and showing up to the game just isn't worth it. So yes, the "fans" behavior in this regard is pitiful.
And there enlies the disconnect... I don't know your financial situation, but you clearly have the means/time to do that, as do I and many others on here.

Are you or I any "more" of a fan because we can go to any game we want?... Just ballparking it, I'm guessing I am going to spend somewhere between $8,000-$10,000 on Marshall football this season and that doesn't include my annual donations to the university. Just travel, tickets, hotels, parking, tailgating, post-game meals, etc. over the course of five trips -- 3 to Huntington, Notre Dame and Georgia Southern (I also live 5 hours away from MU and bring 6-8 family/friends every time I go to a game).

Does that make me or you any more of a fan than the guy working for $15 an hour with a couple kids to feed that comes to one game a year and can't make it on a Wednesday? Or the 75-year old that says no thanks to sitting in the rain and comes to a game in better weather instead? -- Of course not.

Get off the high horse and realize we need the diehards, casual fans, once a year folks, kids, old wealthy people who never fill their chairbacks, etc. And whether you, I, or anyone else likes it -- They all get to have an opinion on MU sports if they so choose.

And there enlies the disconnect... I don't know your financial situation, but you clearly have the means/time to do that, as do I and many others on here.

Are you or I any "more" of a fan because we can go to any game we want?... Just ballparking it, I'm guessing I am going to spend somewhere between $8,000-$10,000 on Marshall football this season and that doesn't include my annual donations to the university. Just travel, tickets, hotels, parking, tailgating, post-game meals, etc. over the course of five trips -- 3 to Huntington, Notre Dame and Georgia Southern (I also live 5 hours away from MU and bring 6-8 family/friends every time I go to a game).

Does that make me or you any more of a fan than the guy working for $15 an hour with a couple kids to feed that comes to one game a year and can't make it on a Wednesday? Or the 75-year old that says no thanks to sitting in the rain and comes to a game in better weather instead? -- Of course not.

Get off the high horse and realize we need the diehards, casual fans, once a year folks, kids, old wealthy people who never fill their chairbacks, etc. And whether you, I, or anyone else likes it -- They all get to have an opinion on MU sports if they so choose.
And therein lies the disconnect. EXCUSES.

I was told that Huffs assertion that “living in Htgn was hard” was a slam on the area and not right. I guess he was right, huh?

I was told in the same thread that the south (from which Huff came) was equal in economy, culture, population etc to Wv. Is that now wrong? Yet we can’t put, 80k. Not 50k. Not 30k…..not even 20k butts in seats??

Sorry to tell you, but I’m not expecting sellouts or even close to full stadiums. If thinking 20k fans to show up for a game is “high horse” then our fan base is even more Busch league than I thought. Maybe we are better off going back to the southern conference and moving down.

Last edited:
Dont read any further. Or do, and go ahead and get your "sunshine pumper," "stop being a douche," comments read to type out!!!

For many years, I, and many other Marshall fans had to defend everything about our programs to others. "Oh you play high school teams," "those aren't real national championships," "THundering Turds," etc, etc.

Defended it over and over and over.

Now, fast forward to the new age "fan"

What have you done for me lately.
We barely beat Gardner Webb
We should be killing these teams
Colombi this, offensive line that.

Saying they are playing poorly is one thing, but WOW, this is just dumb. I can honestly say my blood never boiled as much over the decades listening to morganhole fans, than it boils now listening to 80 percent of you guys on here.

Just awful.

Nothing is ever good enough.

You want, want, want, want...and you don't do give. And when things are done....still not enough.

You wanted a new coach...you got it
You wanted a new AD...you got it
You wanted to play big teams...you got it.
You wanted to beat big name teams...you got that to

Then you stay home Saturday because of a little bit of rain? Really? It was 55 degrees, its not like it was a sleeting.

You were looking for a reason to stay home....... why? Because thats what you do...thats what you are. We, gasp, lost at BG and Troy and we suck now?

We have an AD busting his butt to get us good things. Even WITHOUT more Big Green dollars coming in the door.
We have a bball coach flat out telling you why our schedule is the way it is. You guys want transparency...you got it.
We have a football team that has an incredible defense and a running back who stepped in in place of an All Conference player and he is killing it.
We have a coach that last year recognized that we lost multiple games because of the defensive line. He fixed that. That is our strength and they are daggone good. But the coach, "has no clue what he is doing, etc, etc."
We have a marketing team that listened to your ridiculous complaints over the intro video and in game songs, chants, etc...and fixed it. The video was great...the 4th quarter video was epic and if you made the mistake of playing a drinking game for each time you heard Thunderstruck Saturday then you definitely had problems getting up Sunday morning due to the massive hangover.
We are 3 - 2, with one loss to a Sun Belt West team, so we control our own destiny. We have a couple tough road games and everyone else at home.

Why keeping acting like you guys do? I dont get it. Now you will spend the next little bit either ignoring me, or ripping on me. Yep, thats right...ripping on a person typing out a lengthy post defending the team that YOU are a fan of. What kind of sense does that make?

Good Lord, ok, have a great one!!!!

GO HERD

PS...I told you not to open it.
The best thing about being a Marshall fan is Pullmam Square and I run that mother ****er and we have a great team on that forum minus a couple of dicks.

That's what I think.

I was told that Huffs assertion that “living in Htgn was hard” was a slam on the area and not right. I guess he was right, huh?

I was told in the same thread that the south (from which Huff came) was equal in economy, culture, population etc to Wv. Is that now wrong? Yet we can’t put, 80k. Not 50k. Not 30k…..not even 20k butts in seats??

Sorry to tell you, but I’m not expecting sellouts or even close to full stadiums. If thinking 20k fans to show up for a game is “high horse” then our fan base is even more Busch league than I thought. Maybe we are better off going back to the southern conference and moving down.
Total - 344,645

Total - 108,200

so that’s Alabama versus Marshall in students, employees, living alumni and population of the city they are located in. If they capture 25% of their core market they get 85,000 at a home game. If we capture 25% we get 27,000.

is it easier for a state flagship university, that has won multiple national championships playing in the premiere conference to capture 25%? I would think so.

I have said it over and over for decades. Marshall must grow enrollment if they want to fill the stadium. Huntington must retain more of those students when they graduate if they want to fill the stadium

Last tidbit- median HH income in Tuscaloosa is $54,000. In Huntington it’s $34,000.

Total - 344,645

Total - 108,200

so that’s Alabama versus Marshall in students, employees, living alumni and population of the city they are located in. If they capture 25% of their core market they get 85,000 at a home game. If we capture 25% we get 27,000.

is it easier for a state flagship university, that has won multiple national championships playing in the premiere conference to capture 25%? I would think so.

I have said it over and over for decades. Marshall must grow enrollment if they want to fill the stadium. Huntington must retain more of those students when they graduate if they want to fill the stadium

Last tidbit- median HH income in Tuscaloosa is $54,000. In Huntington it’s $34,000.
Interesting to learn that fans for either university only draw fans from their respective towns on Saturdays.

where exactly was I saying we had to “fill the stadium”? Shit…We even tarped the end zone to help us out. We will never “fill” it. However, Is drawing 20% of of a “core” market too much to ask? Seriously??

NM….

I get your point, and I agree. Huff was right. It’s hard being in Htgn. You have to want to be there.

Last tidbit: I never made the claim Alabama (Tuscaloosa) was ever anything but “better” than Htgn in many ways. The fans piling on Huffs statement were the ones debating otherwise when I suggested such reasons.

Hate to burst your bubble but our fan base isn't as large as many think or believe it is. Sad fact is once everyone that is tied to the plane crash either directly or indirectly that feels an obligation to be in attendance passes it's going to get even worse.

I've railed against our attendance for years, but it is what it is. You can attend classes at Marshall and see students wearing wvu crap, but you won't see the reverse.

The Joan's lifetime average is about 24k. That's what we have. The only way that number increases is when we play P5 opponents or OHIO, ECU, or Appy.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Hate to burst your bubble but our fan base isn't as large as many think or believe it is. Sad fact is once everyone that is tied to the plane crash either directly or indirectly that feels an obligation to be in attendance passes it's going to get even worse.

I've railed against our attendance for years, but it is what it is. You can attend classes at Marshall and see students wearing wvu crap, but you won't see the reverse.

The Joan's lifetime average is about 24k. That's what we have. The only way that number increases is when we play P5 opponents or OHIO, ECU, or Appy.
Yeah, these super fans forget we only averaged just over 28K for the 99 team. Our best ever by a mile.
Huntington itself had about 15K more people then as well. Plus we had a few more corporate sponsorships to boot

can you define “fan”?
Isn’t it obvious after the last couple of weeks?? For Marshall it’s folks who lose their collective minds when a new coach says “It’s hard being in Htgn”, then go on to argue every excuse of just how hard it is for people to live in Htgn and why they can’t make it to a game, but promise to (maybe) come around when it’s 70 degrees, not raining, concourses widened, party deck built and some championship trophies in the case. ;)

And?

From Day One, many here gushed praise on CH and any analysis of him was met with “But Doc….” Again, Doc, could have been Hitler or Mother Theresa, it has ZERO relevance to a discussion of THIS coach, and HIS year. But, many, sad to say USPAM fan like, gushed praise in a never-ending circle jerk of repeating things that no thinking person could believe like we were going to play two bowl games, he was going to go to Virginia Tech, he is a super genius that every school in America wants. All given, not earned, to him without him having done a thing.

Then he pulled off, so far, THE only accomplishment of his tenure. That earned my respect. Sadly he and his team have reverted to what they were, which is a team that loses to every team with a pulse.

Time will tell. Certainly the Notre Dame win has earned him another year, and there is still a chance of salvaging this year.

If others build it....THEY, will come!!! Maybe,...its all conditional with the true fans who look at things in a more realistic light and want whats best for the program. They are truly the ones who are better than the ones who never speak any ill will and drag themselves through hell and high water to sit through a game in frigid 55 degree temps, horrific 3mph winds, and a driving mist.

I guess I am part of the plane crash generation. I was 8 years old when it happened. Have been going to every game I could make for the past 50 years. No doubt as we die off it is going to continue to impact the base IMO. Many family members who never missed a game have passed away. Growing up it was a social event for many. Things are different now I suppose. I will be there when I can whether we have a party deck or empty seats cause I enjoy watching football games live and the Herd is my favorite team ever. Over the years I have watched my share on the tube when I couldn't make it to the game. I have lived 6 hours away and now 2 hours from the Joan. I live in Athens (Ohio U) and have two college age sons who like most of their friends are content to watch a game on their phone as setting on the 50 yard line. Don't know what the solution is to getting fans in the stands but I realize it is a growing challenge for most schools with a few exceptions.

I guess I am part of the plane crash generation. I was 8 years old when it happened. Have been going to every game I could make for the past 50 years. No doubt as we die off it is going to continue to impact the base IMO. Many family members who never missed a game have passed away. Growing up it was a social event for many. Things are different now I suppose. I will be there when I can whether we have a party deck or empty seats cause I enjoy watching football games live and the Herd is my favorite team ever. Over the years I have watched my share on the tube when I couldn't make it to the game. I have lived 6 hours away and now 2 hours from the Joan. I live in Athens (Ohio U) and have two college age sons who like most of their friends are content to watch a game on their phone as setting on the 50 yard line. Don't know what the solution is to getting fans in the stands but I realize it is a growing challenge for most schools with a few exceptions.

I am not part of the plane crash generation. Went to my first game in 1985. I was hooked at that point. I didnt even know about the plane crash until many years later.

Like your group, mine is dwindling, not due to death, but due to life. I get frustrated with them as well. Not because they sometimes get sick, or sometimes have work, or sometimes have weddings, or sometimes have other things. But because those things arent always reasons to not come. They are just reasons when we play Gardner Webb, or FIU, or a non big type of a game.

That is where my frustration lies.

You want to see the future? Just look at the student section. It's nothing like it used to be. Winning has something to do with it, but I think Snyder and Doc weren't very well connected with the students.

I was at Marshall for both Pruett and some of Snyder. 2 years maybe. I can remember seeing Pruett on campus all the time interacting with students. He would visit the dorms and talk to us and let us know just how important we were and that we were a part of the team. When you talked to Pruett he came off like your best friends grandfather. Just a nice down to earth guy that would have a conversation with you. That made students feel connected.

I can never remember Snyder doing that. At least not with the normalcy and regularity that Pruett did. Doc just wasn't that kid of guy. While he'd always talk to me when I ran into him he just seemed like a guy that just wanted to coach football and go home.

I can't speak to Huff, but he comes off as someone that would attempt to interact with students.

I will also say this. I have noticed a lot more people wearing Marshall gear around the Charleston area than I used to.

Still Marshall's attendance has always depended on the weather, kickoff, and opponent. Purdue sucked and we still packed out.

Odd. I don’t recall saying or typing anything of the sort!
Why so defensive??
You may not have intended it, but that's exactly what that post and many of your posts for the last three weeks have conveyed.

You get so much pushback because you refuse to see anyone else's point of view on why we may be even the slightest bit upset with the current state of this season.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
So. Because I am not ready to fire a coach 17 games into his tenure, then I must be ok with everything.

Because I think beating Notre Dame with this allegedly bad team led by an allegedly bad coach, is actually a HUGE accomplishment, then I must be ok with the last two weeks?

Because I realize that every program has 85 scholarship players and a fully paid coaching staff all pushing towards the same goal, and sometimes we come up on the short end, then I must be ok with the last two weeks?

Because I still go to games, then I must be ok with the last two weeks?

Because I rip on people for being "conditional fans" then I must be ok with losing two games.

Because I, like you, have watched sports my entire life and realize that these same story lines happen throughout the country regardless of the sport being played, then I must be ok with the last two weeks?

We are 3 - 2 with a win over an, at that time, top ten team in the country, and two road losses. One in which we dominated most of the game but lost in a place we never win, and the other against a team that is actually turning out to be pretty good (using your barometer of knowing how good a team is this early in the year.)

I consistently defend YOUR program.

You inconsistently, and hypocritically, and all over the board changing week by week do NOT defend MY program.

If that is what constitutes someone acting like a "super fan" then so be it.

GO HERD!!!!!

So. Because I am not ready to fire a coach 17 games into his tenure, then I must be ok with everything.

Because I think beating Notre Dame with this allegedly bad team led by an allegedly bad coach, is actually a HUGE accomplishment, then I must be ok with the last two weeks?

Because I realize that every program has 85 scholarship players and a fully paid coaching staff all pushing towards the same goal, and sometimes we come up on the short end, then I must be ok with the last two weeks?

Because I rip on people for being "conditional fans" then I must be ok with losing two games.

Because I, like you, have watched sports my entire life and realize that these same story lines happen throughout the country regardless of the sport being played, then I must be ok with the last two weeks?

We are 3 - 2 with a win over an, at that time, top ten team in the country, and two road losses. One in which we dominated most of the game but lost in a place we never win, and the other against a team that is actually turning out to be pretty good (using your barometer of knowing how good a team is this early in the year.)

You inconsistently, and hypocritically, and all over the board changing week by week do NOT defend MY program.

GO HERD!!!!!
For example. My post about TEs getting more involved. It wasn't me slamming Huff or Trickett. Just pointing out that it may help the offense to get them more involved.

However you had to swoop in and be a white knight superfan again. Being all condescending.

You sur are incapable of having any conversation about this program that doesn't involve waving your pom poms. You refuse to admit there are some issues that need resolved. Then again you did once say the coaches make the decisions therefore they're the right decisions and we should not question them.

I like you Aaron. I really do, but you attack anyone that even dares bring a legit criticism on the team.

If you can truly watch that G-W game and not come away even the slightest bit concerned about the upcoming games then you are incapable of having an honest conversation.

GO HERD!!!!!
I absolutely did not comprehend your statement. Please try again, in English!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT