ADVERTISEMENT

DONT OPEN.....

Aaron Perkins

Jan 9, 2006
Huntington
Dont read any further. Or do, and go ahead and get your "sunshine pumper," "stop being a douche," comments read to type out!!!

For many years, I, and many other Marshall fans had to defend everything about our programs to others. "Oh you play high school teams," "those aren't real national championships," "THundering Turds," etc, etc.

Defended it over and over and over.

Now, fast forward to the new age "fan"

What have you done for me lately.
We barely beat Gardner Webb
We should be killing these teams
Colombi this, offensive line that.

Saying they are playing poorly is one thing, but WOW, this is just dumb. I can honestly say my blood never boiled as much over the decades listening to morganhole fans, than it boils now listening to 80 percent of you guys on here.

Just awful.

Nothing is ever good enough.

You want, want, want, want...and you don't do give. And when things are done....still not enough.

You wanted a new coach...you got it
You wanted a new AD...you got it
You wanted to play big teams...you got it.
You wanted to beat big name teams...you got that to

Then you stay home Saturday because of a little bit of rain? Really? It was 55 degrees, its not like it was a sleeting.

You were looking for a reason to stay home....... why? Because thats what you do...thats what you are. We, gasp, lost at BG and Troy and we suck now?

We have an AD busting his butt to get us good things. Even WITHOUT more Big Green dollars coming in the door.
We have a bball coach flat out telling you why our schedule is the way it is. You guys want transparency...you got it.
We have a football team that has an incredible defense and a running back who stepped in in place of an All Conference player and he is killing it.
We have a coach that last year recognized that we lost multiple games because of the defensive line. He fixed that. That is our strength and they are daggone good. But the coach, "has no clue what he is doing, etc, etc."
We have a marketing team that listened to your ridiculous complaints over the intro video and in game songs, chants, etc...and fixed it. The video was great...the 4th quarter video was epic and if you made the mistake of playing a drinking game for each time you heard Thunderstruck Saturday then you definitely had problems getting up Sunday morning due to the massive hangover.
We are 3 - 2, with one loss to a Sun Belt West team, so we control our own destiny. We have a couple tough road games and everyone else at home.

Why keeping acting like you guys do? I dont get it. Now you will spend the next little bit either ignoring me, or ripping on me. Yep, thats right...ripping on a person typing out a lengthy post defending the team that YOU are a fan of. What kind of sense does that make?

Good Lord, ok, have a great one!!!!

GO HERD

PS...I told you not to open it.

This Is Fine GIF

Dont read any further. Or do, and go ahead and get your "sunshine pumper," "stop being a douche," comments read to type out!!!

For many years, I, and many other Marshall fans had to defend everything about our programs to others. "Oh you play high school teams," "those aren't real national championships," "THundering Turds," etc, etc.

Saying they are playing poorly is one thing, but WOW, this is just dumb. I can honestly say my blood never boiled as much over the decades listening to morganhole fans, than it boils now listening to 80 percent of you guys on here.

Just awful.

You want, want, want, want...and you don't do give. And when things are done....still not enough.

Then you stay home Saturday because of a little bit of rain? Really? It was 55 degrees, its not like it was a sleeting.

You were looking for a reason to stay home....... why? Because thats what you do...thats what you are. We, gasp, lost at BG and Troy and we suck now?

We have an AD busting his butt to get us good things. Even WITHOUT more Big Green dollars coming in the door.
We have a bball coach flat out telling you why our schedule is the way it is. You guys want transparency...you got it.
We have a football team that has an incredible defense and a running back who stepped in in place of an All Conference player and he is killing it.
We have a coach that last year recognized that we lost multiple games because of the defensive line. He fixed that. That is our strength and they are daggone good. But the coach, "has no clue what he is doing, etc, etc."
We have a marketing team that listened to your ridiculous complaints over the intro video and in game songs, chants, etc...and fixed it. The video was great...the 4th quarter video was epic and if you made the mistake of playing a drinking game for each time you heard Thunderstruck Saturday then you definitely had problems getting up Sunday morning due to the massive hangover.
We are 3 - 2, with one loss to a Sun Belt West team, so we control our own destiny. We have a couple tough road games and everyone else at home.

Why keeping acting like you guys do? I dont get it. Now you will spend the next little bit either ignoring me, or ripping on me. Yep, thats right...ripping on a person typing out a lengthy post defending the team that YOU are a fan of. What kind of sense does that make?

GO HERD

I certainly see your point, but half the fun of following a college team is that you get to bitch and moan no matter how the team is doing. I’ve criticized Huff, but I don’t believe I have ever been derogatory in any of my comments. I know I have been called worse on here than anything I have ever said about our coach and team.
If it gets to the point I have to look at Marshall football always through rose colored glasses, then I’ll switch to following wet T-shit contests. Nothing to complain about there.

Last edited:

Just awful.

GO HERD

We wanted a new coach that didn't play BORING OFFENSE!!! or lose to bottom 10 FBS teams or struggle against teams that are no more than mediocre at the FCS level, that didn't hose 4 games last season plus two more this season.
169...does THAT number ring a bell? Making excuses for not being able to have much of a passing attack because of a little rain at 55 degrees. What was his excuse for Troy?
We were promised a balls-to-the-wall offense by Huff and that was a large reason why he was hired because nearly everyone was sick & tired of watching Doc-ball run by QBs who did not fit the system. Huff himself said that he was here because his predecessor didn't win enough and that he was not walking into a rebuild. And guess what we got? Not more winning, more crap than good on offense and someone who struggles in game management.

Last edited:

Just awful.

GO HERD

Just awful.

GO HERD

Your right! We should all just be happy with the status qou of underperforming and playing for nothing. I give to the big green and go to as many games as my schedule allows so you are not special. Sorry we all do not think it's all rainbows and unicorn farts. IMO it's fans like you that have 0 expectations that are the problem. Its a message board people like to complain and these are pro athletes now and a head coach making almost 1 million dollars a year. You also have a great day!

Your right! We should all just be happy with the status qou of underperforming and playing for nothing. I give to the big green and go to as many games as my schedule allows so you are not special. Sorry we all do not think it's all rainbows and unicorn farts. IMO it's fans like you that have 0 expectations that are the problem. Its a message board people like to complain and these are pro athletes now and a head coach making almost 1 million dollars a year. You also have a great day!

ahhhh. Yes. It took a little longer than expected for me to be labeled as “the problem”

That’s awesome!!!!

• Love
Reactions: MUMAN3419
ahhhh. Yes. It took a little longer than expected for me to be labeled as “the problem”

That’s awesome!!!!
I wish I had the innate ability to just over look our teams deficiencies, however I do not. Also, some people are competitive and some people are not.

Reactions: MUTHFAN
Aaron - you are on here a lot. Mostly you are here propping up Coach A until he is no longer here. Then, you seamlessly start propping up Coach B, and so on. Since this is a internet message board, if Coach Huff was reading this thread: What would you suggest he do differently? It’s obvious to most that the product on the field right now is garbage.
C’mon Coach P! Deliver your insights……

College football attendance is on a 7 year slide. Even the bigger programs are affected. Lane Kiffin went after the Ole Miss students for not attending games. Nick Saban did as well to the Bama students. It's not unique to Marshall and to claim our fans are bad or worse, is just a ridiculous and uneducated statement.

Hell Wake, didn't sell out for NC, they had tons of seats open - in a 31,500 seat stadium. Arkansas had empty seats for their game with Bama. Coastal may have had 10K for their game against GSU. It happens.

Empty seats is one thing.

Saturday was something completely different.
No, not really. I was there in 120. It was miserable. The older fans wont come in bad weather. There may have been 50 students there, they left at half time. There is nothing to keep the crowd engaged. It's a cluster bomb. At one point, the speakers were playing Sweet Caroline, the crowd was into it and singing, then at the same time, the cheerleaders try to get the WAM chant started while the music is playing. It's hilariously bad and sad at the same time.

Just awful.

GO HERD

I agree with everything Aaron says except for the part about people not coming to the game this past Saturday. I don’t blame people one bit for choosing to stream the game versus going out in the rain - it’s 2022 and there are too many options to consume entertainment for people to want to sit in the rain. I will say that one thing that really drives me bonkers about one of the recurring themes I see on this message board is that “we shouldn’t accept mediocrity,” but our program has been far from mediocre. Since 2003 (so including the dark days of Mark Snyder we have a win percentage that ranks 53rd in FBS (54.8% 132-109), to me that’s an above program at worst. Additionally, if we look at the program since 2010 we jump up to 37th in the FBS for total win percentage (60.5% 95-62). I don’t think 37th in win percentage is mediocre by any means, and I mean sure we had a few down years in that run but what team doesn’t have those years? We are a consistently winning and bowl eligible program that is always competing to go to conference championship games, despite the fact that we have less resources than the teams we often compete against. I think the fans that complain we are “mediocre” or that “we don’t have enough expectations” are really complaining that we aren’t a college football dynasty. I grew up with Marshall football during the Mark Snyder era so maybe opinions a little skewed because of that, but I’ve been ecstatic with the successes and progress this program has made since 2010 when Holliday took over and while I wasn’t thrilled with the coaching change that’s in the past and I’m excited about how coach Huff is continuing to build the program. I get that we’ve struggled the past few weeks, but we can beat a struggling UL squad move to 4-2 and have a chance to go knock off a good JMU team. Point being I think people on this message board overreact.

Reactions: horsrman
I agree with everything Aaron says except for the part about people not coming to the game this past Saturday. I don’t blame people one bit for choosing to stream the game versus going out in the rain - it’s 2022 and there are too many options to consume entertainment for people to want to sit in the rain. I will say that one thing that really drives me bonkers about one of the recurring themes I see on this message board is that “we shouldn’t accept mediocrity,” but our program has been far from mediocre. Since 2003 (so including the dark days of Mark Snyder we have a win percentage that ranks 53rd in FBS (54.8% 132-109), to me that’s an above program at worst. Additionally, if we look at the program since 2010 we jump up to 37th in the FBS for total win percentage (60.5% 95-62). I don’t think 37th in win percentage is mediocre by any means, and I mean sure we had a few down years in that run but what team doesn’t have those years? We are a consistently winning and bowl eligible program that is always competing to go to conference championship games, despite the fact that we have less resources than the teams we often compete against. I think the fans that complain we are “mediocre” or that “we don’t have enough expectations” are really complaining that we aren’t a college football dynasty. I grew up with Marshall football during the Mark Snyder era so maybe opinions a little skewed because of that, but I’ve been ecstatic with the successes and progress this program has made since 2010 when Holliday took over and while I wasn’t thrilled with the coaching change that’s in the past and I’m excited about how coach Huff is continuing to build the program. I get that we’ve struggled the past few weeks, but we can beat a struggling UL squad move to 4-2 and have a chance to go knock off a good JMU team. Point being I think people on this message board overreact.
Good take on us not settling for being mediocre. I would guess that if you go back to 1997 it is even better. Of course most would agree that we should keep on striving for conference championships ,, bowl games and Top 25 rankings

Reactions: herddrummer05
Empty seats is one thing.

Saturday was something completely different.
I usually agree with you and don’t necessarily disagree here, but with an aging fanbase you can’t expect them to be there on a day like that for a 2-2 team off two straight losses. We were able to make it to the game for half of it and then had to leave. It’s a lot more difficult for people who don’t live in the Huntington area, especially on days like Saturday. The weather ended up not being as bad as thought, but people didn’t know that, they assumed pouring rain in chilly temperatures because that’s what was called for.

It should be stated too that most people have college football as a far lower priority than the people on this board do, and that’s probably good for them. That in mind, Saturdays attendance doesn’t surprise me and there were actually more than I thought would be there.

I read a lot of message boards, because I like to go to away games, like to learn about our opponents, etc.

The fan base breakdown is about the same for every school, from Notre Dame to Gardner Webb... Including MU

5% athletic department shills... Perkins, Stowers, etc. -- Everything Marshall does is amazing. We should consider ourselves lucky to even have athletics, let alone football. The coaches should win Nobel Peace Prizes, the AD should be the next Pope, everyone and everything around Marshall athletics is PHENOMENAL. And if you don't support everything with blind reverence, you are a bad fan.

30% optimistic but reasonable fans -- They love the university, give to the booster club, go to as many games as they can, and root for all the programs to do well while understanding that isn't going to happen every season. This group is rosy, but not to the point of ridiculous. They recognize when major mistakes are made and they are okay when those mistakes are rectified (coaching hires, scheduling, etc).

30% skeptical but loyal fans -- They are Big Green members, go to games, wear their MU polos to work on Fridays and genuinely want the programs to succeed. At the same time, they wait for the next misstep and are more than happy to point out those missteps. Their expectations for the athletic dept, coaches, etc will not be met unless justified by the result (a conference title, major bowl game, NCAA tourney appearance, etc).

30% casual fans -- They follow the 2-3 biggest programs but not to the point where they are super knowledgeable. They may have gone to MU, have a kid that does/did, live in the Huntington area. MU sports is something for them to do, but not something they are overly invested in. They are ripping down the goal posts when we win, and cancelling their subscriptions when we lose.

5% unsatisfiable naysayers -- Nothing will ever be good enough and their memories are very short. Beat Notre Dame, that was fun. Lose to Bowling Green, fire everybody and board up the stadium. Every coach is an idiot, the AD is a stooge, and the programs are all headed down the toilet.

Last edited:
I read a lot of message boards, because I like to go to away games, like to learn about our opponents, etc.

The fan base breakdown is about the same for every school, from Notre Dame to Gardner Webb... Including MU

5% athletic department shills... Perkins, Stowers, etc. -- Everything Marshall does is amazing. We should consider ourselves lucky to even have athletics, let alone football. The coaches should win Nobel Peace Prizes, the AD should be the next Pope, everyone and everything around Marshall athletics is PHENOMENAL. And if you don't support everything with blind reverence, you are a bad fan.

30% optimistic but reasonable fans -- They love the university, give to the booster club, go to as many games as they can, and root for all the programs to do well while understanding that isn't going to happen every season. This group is rosy, but not to the point of ridiculous. They recognize when major mistakes are made and they are okay when those mistakes are rectified (coaching hires, scheduling, etc).

30% skeptical but loyal fans -- They are Big Green members, go to games, wear their MU polos to work on Fridays and genuinely want the programs to succeed. At the same time, they wait for the next misstep and are more than happy to point out those missteps. Their expectations for the athletic dept, coaches, etc will not be met unless justified by the result (a conference title, major bowl game, NCAA tourney appearance, etc).

30% casual fans -- They follow the 2-3 biggest programs but not to the point where they are super knowledgeable. They may have gone to MU, have a kid that does/did, live in the Huntington area. MU sports is something for them to do, but not something they are overly invested in. They are ripping down the goal posts when we win, and cancelling their subscriptions when we lose.

5% unsatisfiable naysayers -- Nothing will ever be good enough and their memories are very short. Beat Notre Dame, that was fun. Lose to Bowling Green, fire everybody and board up the stadium. Every coach is an idiot, the AD is a stooge, and the programs are all headed down the toilet.
That's a darn good breakdown. I think of myself as a reasonable fan. Lol!

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Attendance is what it is.

Did Kiffen and Saban call out their fans for not showing up? Sure, and apples to oranges. They are coaching WINNING top ranked teams in the SEC. Mostly they were calling out fans for spending too much time tailgating and leaving during the garbage time. Anyone who watches Feinbaum knows that there is plenty of interest in the SEC.

This is different. It wasn’t really just the weather. It is about a team that pulled off a great upset and then wet the bed against two bottom feeder programs who won’t win 8 games between them. It is, and this may be un-fixable, about a coach that used the one highlight of his tenure so far to insult the people that make his job possible.

The real question is how many show up to see us probably play with low effort against a mediocre team on a week night? My bet is it looks more like the several dozen who show up for week night maction, than what the SBC has been getting.

Attendance is what it is.

Did Kiffen and Saban call out their fans for not showing up? Sure, and apples to oranges. They are coaching WINNING top ranked teams in the SEC. Mostly they were calling out fans for spending too much time tailgating and leaving during the garbage time. Anyone who watches Feinbaum knows that there is plenty of interest in the SEC.

This is different. It wasn’t really just the weather. It is about a team that pulled off a great upset and then wet the bed against two bottom feeder programs who won’t win 8 games between them. It is, and this may be un-fixable, about a coach that used the one highlight of his tenure so far to insult the people that make his job possible.

The real question is how many show up to see us probably play with low effort against a mediocre team on a week night? My bet is it looks more like the several dozen who show up for week night maction, than what the SBC has been getting.
Another big factor about last Saturday is that it was our second FCS opponent and the game doesn't count. There were a lot of people not going to that game way before BG or Troy.

Even after ND's win when we started to project attendance for the next home game I didn't think we'd see 20k in the stands.

2nd FCS team + not counting + weather + last two games + gas and food prices = low attendance.

Shoot go back to the glory days. That 1998 game vs Wofford had an announced attendance of 18,477. In 1997 we played WV State in the 2nd game. There was an announced attendance of 21,851, but after half time 3/4 of that crowd left and Keith Morehouse called the fans jaded on the air. Go look at the attendance for some of those playoff games.

I can guarantee you that the attendance for ULL was always going to be a bit low as Wednesday night games usually are. You can bet now it's definitely going to be. I think we'll hear an announced attendance of 22k and change, but maybe see 15k in the seats. Wednesday is a church night and then people have work and children have school the next day so being at a college football game for a stuggling team until 1130 at night isn't happening.

Reactions: The Real SamC
30% casual fans -- They follow the 2-3 biggest programs but not to the point where they are super knowledgeable. They may have gone to MU, have a kid that does/did, live in the Huntington area. MU sports is something for them to do, but not something they are overly invested in. They are ripping down the goal posts when we win, and cancelling their subscriptions when we lose
I'm going to say this number is well over 50% and approaching 60%.

When you are more willing to sit at home on Saturday than drive an hour or less to a game?? The excuse making of "our fans are old", "it was raining", "other things to do" is interesting. The inability of our fans to even put a miniscule 15000 butts in seats on Saturday says all you need to know about our fan base. Yep..at least 60%.

Reactions: 19MU88 and herd66
Did Kiffen and Saban call out their fans for not showing up? Sure, and apples to oranges. They are coaching WINNING top ranked teams in the SEC.
So you live in Htgn and chose to not attend the game, huh?

Was Ole Miss always a "winning" program? Nope. Mediocre at best. Man I distinctly remember you bashing Kiffen for his inability to coach and turn around a team.

And this is why the marketing, ticket promotions, etc should have started pre-Gardner Webb to do everything we can to get people out for the Louisiana game... Its a big stage on national TV. We would be much better served to look more like App State than Middle Tennessee, in terms of crowd size.

If it were me, I'd be working with our area churches on a promotion... Come out for the game, bring the congregation, everyone gets in for $20 and you can sing hymns and quote scripture during commercial breaks. We will even seat you in sections by denomination... It's already a blackout game, so all nuns and priests in uniform get in free. Call it Holy Herd Night and lets pack the place!

I question as well why people in Huntington don’t go to games. When I lived in West Virginia I drove 4 hours, one way to attend gAmes and had a season ticket. Now I’m 9 hours away and still try to attend at least one game. I love college football and Marshall puts on a show regardless of some of your opinions. Tailgating is fun and I love to drink beer. I stay in a local Motel and eat in local restaurants. I have seen some great teams and have had some awful weather and saw only the first half and because I didn’t want to drown, freeze or get hit by lightning. I love the band, cheerleaders, majorettes and seeing Red Dawson in the parking lot. Love walking across campus and shopping in the bookstore. The atmosphere is terrific watching people ware different Marshall logos and kids throw balls in the parking lot while I smell barbecue. I’m getting old and I’m going to really miss going to games. My advice, go to the games, look around and enjoy while you can.

And this is why the marketing, ticket promotions, etc should have started pre-Gardner Webb to do everything we can to get people out for the Louisiana game... Its a big stage on national TV. We would be much better served to look more like App State than Middle Tennessee, in terms of crowd size.

If it were me, I'd be working with our area churches on a promotion... Come out for the game, bring the congregation, everyone gets in for $20 and you can sing hymns and quote scripture during commercial breaks. We will even seat you in sections by denomination... It's already a blackout game, so all nuns and priests in uniform get in free. Call it Holy Herd Night and lets pack the place!
Well, apparently, there is an opening in the Herd Marketing Dept. I believe I saw it in an HD post.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I question as well why people in Huntington don’t go to games. When I lived in West Virginia I drove 4 hours, one way to attend gAmes and had a season ticket. Now I’m 9 hours away and still try to attend at least one game. I love college football and Marshall puts on a show regardless of some of your opinions. Tailgating is fun and I love to drink beer. I stay in a local Motel and eat in local restaurants. I have seen some great teams and have had some awful weather and saw only the first half and because I didn’t want to drown, freeze or get hit by lightning. I love the band, cheerleaders, majorettes and seeing Red Dawson in the parking lot. Love walking across campus and shopping in the bookstore. The atmosphere is terrific watching people ware different Marshall logos and kids throw balls in the parking lot while I smell barbecue. I’m getting old and I’m going to really miss going to games. My advice, go to the games, look around and enjoy while you can.
I'd say for many local's that $25 ticket can give them lunch/dinner for 5 days at Wendys, OR a weeks worth of Meth from their dealer. lol!

• Haha
If you need to really, really market a conference rival, nationally televised, and bowl rematch game......probably safe to say, your casual fan number exceeds 60%. ;)
Its a Wednesday night... Outside of the SEC and Big10/Notre Dame. Every team in America would have to be marketing the heck out of it.

As an aside, since when is Louisiana a "conference rival"?... We joined the league this year and we have played them one time in school history. By that logic every team in the league is our "rival."

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
It is standard Marshall procedure to declare almost all members of whatever conference we are in at the time to be “rivals”. It is sad, really.

Reactions: RhinoD
Its a Wednesday night... Outside of the SEC and Big10/Notre Dame. Every team in America would have to be marketing the heck out of it.

As an aside, since when is Louisiana a "conference rival"?... We joined the league this year and we have played them one time in school history. By that logic every team in the league is our "rival."
Not for real fans of a team.

Louisiana was/is one of the better teams in the league. They thumped our ass in the bowl game last year. The revenge factor alone should either make them a new rival or at least an attraction for people to show up on a weeknight to support their team. The fact that this opinion would even need explained to a "fan".... rethinking my number to your post..... we are up to 65%

It is standard Marshall procedure to declare almost all members of whatever conference we are in at the time to be “rivals”. It is sad, really.
Would Sammy even show up for a rivalry game, since he "never left" Huntington? Probably not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT