ADVERTISEMENT

Don't shoot the messenger

BleedsGreen33

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010
I know this post is going to anger some. I know one in particular that is going to ask why. However because there is a likelihood that Lambert could be our HC I thought I would ask Charlotte fans how they would describe Lambert when he was there HC.

Look Lambert has been a great DC for us. However by the sounds of 49ers fans it sounds like we'd be getting the poor man's version of Doc.

Here's what they had to say.

Nugget49er:
"Over his head"

chidave:
"Nice but ineffective"

Artifice:

Nice guy, but in over his head trying to run the entire show.

He will "chase" the very lowest hanging fruit in recruiting. Get used to "he also has offers from Devry, a local church league and not one but two 4H clubs". He will then redshirt the entire class hoping they can put on enough weight not to be shoved into the 3rd row on every play, though they will also be as fast as molasses.

You'll get to experience playing kick coverage with a bunch of guys who run 5.9s 40s.

Setting new speed records on 3 and outs.

Just completely oblivious to clock management.

At least one "wtf" moment per season, such as the opponent kicking off from YOUR 35 because of multiple inexplicable penalties.

Death, taxes, and playing your DBs 15 yards deep on a 3rd and 7.

Other than that, fantastic hire.

49erFootballNow:
"Brad's a great guy and the type of person you want leading young men outside of a football program. As a football HC he is literally as good as the staff he has. Somehow after Phil Ratliff passed no matter who was on their staff they managed to offend a good portion of the regional HS programs so much they wouldn't even suggest their guys look at Charlotte and some even took to the Twitter to express their feelings on the matter. No idea what happened there but clearly Brad didn't have a firm handle on things. Maybe he's learned something from it to make him a better HC, but I'm not sure a program that aspires to win a conference championship in the next few years is a good proving ground for the comeback tour. "

Tintin:
"Brad took no initiative.
If there were resources he requested that he was unable to get from the department, this is the first I’m hearing of it."

Tintin:
"Don’t forget sending in your big package on 4th and 3, putting them all right, and then taking a shot game snap ensuring the rb gets the ball 9 yards from a first down and then having the play go off right tackle, right where the box has been stacked. (This is why the Charlotte special play that beat uab in OT is so amazing. So uncharacteristic).

Or the 3rd and 9 bubble screen to the smallest receiver on the field that has to break two tackles to get to the yard to gain.

Or scoring on the first drive of the game and going for two.

Or not stunting or blitzing from the DL because “you don’t have the personnel” and three of this guys played in the nfl.

Or averaging .75 of a bunt block or punt muff for an entire season because you could block in punt formation or forbid your return guys from calling fair catches.

Brad, until he hired two new coordinators, was the most unimaginative, in creative, basic football coach I’ve ever seen."

ericsaid:
"Wait, Marshall didn't renew Doc in order to bring in...Brad Lambert? If you're going to shake things up for the sake of shaking things up, at least have an alternative"

Nugget49er:
"Honestly, I am surprised that Lambert would want to be a Head Coach again. It seems like being a DC is where he is happy and good at his job."

Niner National:
"Lambert was especially terrible after Phil Ratliff passed away. Phil seemed to be the fiu building high school relationships and apparently Brad and Co. just stopped being present at a lot of local high schools. This angered many coaches to the point they were bad mouthing our program and staff on Twitter.

If I were a marshall fan and Brad Lambert was the best we could come up with, I wouldn’t be renewing my season tickets. "

Dowless:
"He seems like a nice guy, but his coaching was questionable and his recruiting was terrible. You can only blame our former AD so much. I blame her for giving him his final season rather than letting him go."

Tintin:
"Lambert didn’t have his hands tied. Lambert had his hands behind his back not doing anything. He made no effort to recruit the city, the portal, or really Juco unless someone approached him

As for the recruits, I don’t think it can be debated that Ogunjobi, Highsmith and to a lesser degree Nate Davis got to the NFL despite Lambert.

The talent of Khalid Phillips and to a lesser degree Bennie Lemay, hid a lot of the incompetence of the Lambert administration and a lot of incompetence was showing.

I see little difference between Doc and Lambert’s coaching style other than Doc having better players

Lambert set up the weight room, but he didn’t recruit.

He coached like Doc with less talent. He didn’t adjust, he ran vanilla offense and defenses and if the game plan didn’t work, he had no clue.

I’m not saying he couldn’t and should be a DC so,where, but that I’m aware of, Brad has interviewed for two head coaching jobs. Why do you think that is?"

Dowless:
"Pretty tough to compare recruiting to the NFL when the new coach is only 2 years in. Let's go ahead and scratch Highsmith off of that list as well. He was a walk-on and not recruited by Lambert. He also jumped from 3 sacks in Lambert's last season to 14 in Healy's 1st season. That is why he got noticed by the NFL. The recruiting rankings for G5 may be garbage, but we know that the people coming to Charlotte now are also receiving offers from more and better quality programs. Also, we don't see Twitter posts of local high school coaches telling their kids not to go to Charlotte anymore.

It is too early to tell how Healy will turn out. He had a good season and then Covid destroyed our season. In time he will either prove himself or not, but he does bring excitement to the program which is something Lambert didn't do. "

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News