ADVERTISEMENT

Drayton arrested - domestic battery

Asking not accusing but has there been a season with Doc that someone wasnt kicked off for something involving an arrest or a broken law?
You could say that about 95% of the FBS programs in the country. We have had very few of these situations occur the last few years in comparison to the early years of the Doc Era.

hey @pdbailey you're good with this stuff. If you took the total number of players that Doc has recruited to Marshall since 2010 what percentage have been dismissed due run ins with the law. I'm betting <10%. Signees, transfers, NQs, walk-ons, and blue shirts together have to be something like 25-35 new players per year. So that's about 250-350 players that Doc brought in. In some way or another. I don't think it's nearly as bad as some are trying to make it out to be. That we just have rosters full of criminals.
I don't have the dismissals due to breaking laws info, but we have had just 22 players dismissed for violations or breaking the law, which is only about 6% of recruits. Just from looking at the list it was probably about half that were due to criminal acts while the others were for team rules violations. Please note that most of the dismissals were in the early recruiting classes, and knock-on-wood, we have not had any dismissal of a recruit from the 2017-2019 classes. King and likely Drayton are the first dismissals for the 2016 class.

Because of the glaring fact that you’re a WVU fan first and foremost.
its funny when I complained about Dana WVU fans called me Marshall grad. I think it mostly comes down to people not wanting to see or hear the truth, and in this case Doc has a resume that speaks for itself. Average. Its been 10 years man!

its funny when I complained about Dana WVU fans called me Marshall grad. I think it mostly comes down to people not wanting to see or hear the truth, and in this case Doc has a resume that speaks for itself. Average. Its been 10 years man!

So now we’re changing topics instead of admitting you’re wrong?

I don't have the dismissals due to breaking laws info, but we have had just 22 players dismissed for violations or breaking the law, which is only about 6% of recruits. Just from looking at the list it was probably about half that were due to criminal acts while the others were for team rules violations. Please note that most of the dismissals were in the early recruiting classes, and knock-on-wood, we have not had any dismissal of a recruit from the 2017-2019 classes. King and likely Drayton are the first dismissals for the 2016 class.

Thank you sir

So now we’re changing topics instead of admitting you’re wrong?
I will cut you some slack because I used to be one of those guys that always needed to be right as well on message boards. What Im a wrong about? The kids leaving the program? The 2016 team should have never had a roster that thin after all of the success the program had been having. Honestly, this season everyone had higher expectations.

The bottom line is the fan is not excited and just look at the ODU game

I’ll be honest I’m not the biggest fan of Doc as a coach. But this is completely silly to give him crap over. Doc has had some players have trouble with the law and with team rules but honestly no more than any other coach.

I was at MU during Chaump and Donnan. Both of those guys had plenty of players that weren’t going to show up on the cover of cookies and milk illustrated. The difference was a lot of things that happened were never made public they were swept under the rug. There were no cell phone cameras no social media. But I can assure you in every modern era of Marshall football there have been bad seeds that have been part of the program. Doc is no different.

chastise him for things you don’t like about him as a coach but I think Doc has taken care of the bad apples and as a whole the kids he brings in have been for the most part good kids.

I will cut you some slack because I used to be one of those guys that always needed to be right as well on message boards. What Im a wrong about? The kids leaving the program? The 2016 team should have never had a roster that thin after all of the success the program had been having. Honestly, this season everyone had higher expectations.

You went from character of our recruits being the topic to the attrition rate of a team 3 years ago.

Outside of the MTSU game, we’re right where 95% of fans thought we’d be.

Then they should check themselves. If we win tomorrow, we control the East. If fans can’t get behind that then I suggest they remove the “fan” label from themselves.

You're wrong in that you insinuated that we're thin because all Doc brings in is sketchy kids who can't stay in the right side of the law which is categorically false.

You went from character of our recruits being the topic to the attrition rate of a team 3 years ago.

Outside of the MTSU game, we’re right where 95% of fans thought we’d be.

Then they should check themselves. If we win tomorrow, we control the East. If fans can’t get behind that then I suggest they remove the “fan” label from themselves.

why do you keep saying we are right where the majority of fans thought we would be. I thought we would be 3-1 in OOC only losing to Boise. I don’t know of any fans who thought we would get humiliated on our own field by Cincinnati. Even if people thought we wouldn’t win the beat down we received was awful. And it was at home, I can tell you nobody expected that and honestly they shouldn’t have. Also the loss to 2 win MTSU puts us in a situation where we pretty much have to win out in order to win the East. We have no margin of error because of laying that egg.

I’m going to be very happy if we win the conference and I’ll give Doc a pass on the blowout loss to Cincy but if we don’t win CUSA then I think because of our OOC play it will be a bad year and would not have been what I expected at the beginning of the year.

why do you keep saying we are right where the majority of fans thought we would be. I thought we would be 3-1 in OOC only losing to Boise. I don’t know of any fans who thought we would get humiliated on our own field by Cincinnati. Even if people thought we wouldn’t win the beat down we received was awful

I keep saying it because it’s true. I don’t know one person in the media or that follows Marshall and/or their opponents closely that truly believed we were going to beat Cincy. Hell, I thought we had a better chance on the road against Boise than I did against Cincy. The score doesn’t mean much in the grand scheme of things. The only time it’s going to matter is if we’re undefeated and in Weeks 12-14 of the season. Did it suck? Sure it did, but the reality is whether you lose by 1 or 100, it’s still a loss.

Reactions: johns1124
Character isn't just a reflection of those who are dismissed for being arrested. Character also is shown by those who never qualify, fail out, transfer, quit, etc.

All of those things are part of a person's character, and all of those things are a part of the issue that has plagued Marshall into being an average program in an awful conference while having one of the best advantages to winning in the conference.

Reactions: johns1124
why do you keep saying we are right where the majority of fans thought we would be. I thought we would be 3-1 in OOC only losing to Boise. I don’t know of any fans who thought we would get humiliated on our own field by Cincinnati. Even if people thought we wouldn’t win the beat down we received was awful. And it was at home, I can tell you nobody expected that and honestly they shouldn’t have. Also the loss to 2 win MTSU puts us in a situation where we pretty much have to win out in order to win the East. We have no margin of error because of laying that egg.

I’m going to be very happy if we win the conference and I’ll give Doc a pass on the blowout loss to Cincy but if we don’t win CUSA then I think because of our OOC play it will be a bad year and would not have been what I expected at the beginning of the year.
Even if we had beaten MTSU, we would still have to defeat WKU this week and also probably win out since that would leave WKU with only one loss if they win out. Since we have one loss, a win over WK gives us the tiebreaker over them.

It was not losing to UC that hurt but how it happened, and it seemed to suck the life out of the crowd for the ODU game. If the crowd at the ODU game was not a concern then people are sticking their heads in the sand.

The Cincy game was the first time I walked out of the stadium early. I don't think most of us realized how good they were this year due to OSU destroying them. We undoubtedly just flat out did not match up well with them. Going down to MTSU and losing didn't help in terms of winning the crowd back.

That being said, I penciled in a loss to Boise, and Cincy and Ohio as toss ups. As Josh said, we are where most of us thought we would be record wise at this point, just got there in different ways than we imagined. How do you lose to MT and then beat FAU? If we manage to beat WKU today, some of the crowd may return, not all, but some. Some are forgetting the LT hurdle we have as well. We don't know yet if we have to win out, that's assuming that FAU, WKU doesn't lose another game and that we don't lose to LT. That's a lot of assuming going on there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT