ADVERTISEMENT

Excellent win tonight against Ohio

I guess the fire Dan geniuses will be quiet. Unitl the next loss.
I thought Dan made a huge mistake in how he scheduled last season's team. He needed to do a better job with the early part of the season with being so young and having Elmore out. The 0-6 start was just terrible. I think Dan learned from that and did a better job this season.

I thought Dan made a huge mistake in how he scheduled last season's team. He needed to do a better job with the early part of the season with being so young and having Elmore out. The 0-6 start was just terrible. I think Dan learned from that and did a better job this season.
We're playing the same type of teams this year. The difference is, we're winning them now. Last season's team would probably be 1-5 right now, with the only win being at home to WCU. We've still got some tough games coming up, so the 5-1 start isn't an "arriving" point. We have to continue improving and winning. Then when we get Burks back here in a few weeks, and hopefully (knock on wood) Thompson will be able to return, we should be able to take another step up right when conference play begins.

Last season, our problem was that we basically returned 2 players (Taylor/Loop) because Edmonds wasn't able to contribute much after the knee injury, Nikolic literally shattered his face 2 games in, and Mijovic was still trying to find himself. Even without Elmore; Kelly, Burks, Browning, & Thompson were all new and trying to learn the system/develop chemistry. It was Dan's philosophy that getting them where we needed to be to compete in conference play, was to play tough competition instead of getting cheap wins and getting an inflated image of ourselves. We kept working/improving as the year went on because we were getting our butts kicked.

Btw...this time last season, I was pissed about how Dan scheduled. He proved me wrong as the season went on.

I like the schedule. Good mix of lesser teams, ex-SoCon and MAC teams, regional quasi-rivals, and regional step up games (Big 10, ACC, AAC). The only two issues I have is playing Div II WV Wesleyan College. As I understand it, you get nothing in the RPI for winning a non-DI game. I assume MH just got caught with a slot and no takers. And, it seems that every team there is is in one of these four or eight team tournaments, usually in Las Vegas or some island. I cannot remember the last time we did one of those. Did not we go to Alaska mayby 8 or 10 years ago? And Alaska isn't exactly the same as the Bahamas or Hawaii. Does not being able to tell kids they will spend Thanksgiving or Christmas week in some nice place help recruiting?

We're playing the same type of teams this year. The difference is, we're winning them now. Last season's team would probably be 1-5 right now, with the only win being at home to WCU. We've still got some tough games coming up, so the 5-1 start isn't an "arriving" point. We have to continue improving and winning. Then when we get Burks back here in a few weeks, and hopefully (knock on wood) Thompson will be able to return, we should be able to take another step up right when conference play begins.

Last season, our problem was that we basically returned 2 players (Taylor/Loop) because Edmonds wasn't able to contribute much after the knee injury, Nikolic literally shattered his face 2 games in, and Mijovic was still trying to find himself. Even without Elmore; Kelly, Burks, Browning, & Thompson were all new and trying to learn the system/develop chemistry. It was Dan's philosophy that getting them where we needed to be to compete in conference play, was to play tough competition instead of getting cheap wins and getting an inflated image of ourselves. We kept working/improving as the year went on because we were getting our butts kicked.

Btw...this time last season, I was pissed about how Dan scheduled. He proved me wrong as the season went on.
The point is our team early last year had no Elmore and Dan should have scheduled to compensate for the youth of our team and no pt guard

The point is our team early last year had no Elmore and Dan should have scheduled to compensate for the youth of our team and no pt guard

I think there's two ways to look at it. If you weaken the schedule because you're young and without a proven point guard, you may very well end up with a better record but at what cost. For many coaches the wins and losses are important because their livelihood and job security depends on it. But I believe with DD, and given his age and situation, that he doesn't have to manufacture wins through scheduling. I think his main concern is how do I improve the team? I think he understands that in a one bid league that winning the conference tourney is the only path to the NCAA tourney. So he schedules NOT to protect his job or sate his ego, but to make the team as good as it can be come tournament time.

Why not? At his age building a resume for another job isn't his goal. He has the luxury to build a team the way it should be done without using smoke and mirrors in scheduling to inflate the wins to obtain a big payday somewhere else. Hey...if it doesn't work out he can enjoy his retirement or go sit on the bench with his brother making more than he is now. He really doesn't have a lot to lose by scheduling to improve the team down the road instead of artificially inflating the won/loss record.

I like the schedule. Good mix of lesser teams, ex-SoCon and MAC teams, regional quasi-rivals, and regional step up games (Big 10, ACC, AAC). The only two issues I have is playing Div II WV Wesleyan College. As I understand it, you get nothing in the RPI for winning a non-DI game. I assume MH just got caught with a slot and no takers. And, it seems that every team there is is in one of these four or eight team tournaments, usually in Las Vegas or some island. I cannot remember the last time we did one of those. Did not we go to Alaska mayby 8 or 10 years ago? And Alaska isn't exactly the same as the Bahamas or Hawaii. Does not being able to tell kids they will spend Thanksgiving or Christmas week in some nice place help recruiting?
I was in Las Vegas last year to follow The Herd. Beat Wyoming in the semi final and lost to Grand Canyon the Championship. Houston was the other team there.

I think there's two ways to look at it. If you weaken the schedule because you're young and without a proven point guard, you may very well end up with a better record but at what cost. For many coaches the wins and losses are important because their livelihood and job security depends on it. But I believe with DD, and given his age and situation, that he doesn't have to manufacture wins through scheduling. I think his main concern is how do I improve the team? I think he understands that in a one bid league that winning the conference tourney is the only path to the NCAA tourney. So he schedules NOT to protect his job or sate his ego, but to make the team as good as it can be come tournament time.

Why not? At his age building a resume for another job isn't his goal. He has the luxury to build a team the way it should be done without using smoke and mirrors in scheduling to inflate the wins to obtain a big payday somewhere else. Hey...if it doesn't work out he can enjoy his retirement or go sit on the bench with his brother making more than he is now. He really doesn't have a lot to lose by scheduling to improve the team down the road instead of artificially inflating the won/loss record.
GK, you nailed it. Danny says over and over he is NOT a W-L guy. He just wants his team to get better as the season progresses. As he always tells us, he just want's to win the last one.
He wants us to be playing our best ball beginning March 9 in the CUSA tournament. Unfortunately last year we peaked a couple weeks early.

Reactions: Sean Hammond
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT