ADVERTISEMENT

Expensive things that are “worth it”

-CarlHungus-

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 9, 2007
I think we’ve done this before but with Christmas upcoming maybe not a bad thread.

I’ll start:

AirPods - I love mine. I’m on pair #2 because I dropped pair 1 in the toilet pissing in middle of night (I fall asleep listening to podcasts).

Home gym equipment. Has helped my mental health so much . So nice to blow off steam in the garage . I have a basic set up with a Titan T3 rack, barbell, adjustable dumb bells, and a rogue fan bike. Accumulated over the last 3 years . I will never pass for a physique oriented person but I feel so much better when I exercise 3x/week.

Coffee stuff- Baratza burr grinder and fresh beans make a world of difference.

Farmers co op subscription. Lots of good local produce . Pushes you to make different foods too when you’re feeling in inspired or in rut of the same stuff.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
A good pair of boots. Muck boots are really nice. I have a good pair of Rocky boots as well. Both worth paying a little extra.

Wolf and Shepard dress shoes. I have a pair of lambskin slip on loafers. They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. I have a couple of their traditional dress shoes as well, and they are really good. They all feel like tennis shoes on the bottom.

Cologne.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
Shoes is a good one.

I have a Goodyear welted pair of Grant Stone boots I like a lot. Another pair of wolverine 1000 milers I like too.

I have a pair of LaCrosse green rubber boots that are great for outdoor work

When I was younger and Craftsman tools were made in the US I bought those.

Power tools I usually buy Dewalt.

Lawn and garden usually Stihl however a friend of mine sells Echo too and I've bought a couple of those and they have done well.

Tailored dress clothes, especially dress shirts.

Good seats and parking passes at sports and entertainment events.

Buy once, cry once.

Pay a little more and buy things from local businesses instead of big box stores, like jewelry that can be sized in the store or a chainsaw that can be repaired there.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Pocket Knife: I have a half dozen I EDC off and on. Cheapest is a Kershaw Leek, which is great around the office. Probably the costliest is a Spyderco Military. All keep a very good edge, some better than others, but all better than a cheap knife.

Cars: Let's touch a couple points. Heated seats? Let me add, heated steering wheel. If arthritis is already hitting you, this is a God-send. Also, good fvcking tires. Do not buy these shit Chinese brand tires, all of them drop off in wet and snow traction and in durability. Don't buy tires at Walmart, even the name brands there are cheap Chinese made crap. Tires are the single most important thing on your vehicle other than routine maintenance...don't trust your ass to cheap Chinese shit.

Mattress: You spend like a third of your life in bed. Make it awesome. I am not going to tell you what is best for you. I will tell you there is almost zero chance it costs less than a grand, unless you weight like 100 pounds. We have the Tempur-Pedic Luxebreeze, and it is without a doubt the best $$$ to worth thing I have ever bought, it keeps us cool and is just stupid comfortable...highly recommend.

Cars: Let's touch a couple points. Heated seats? Let me add, heated steering wheel.
Yes! I hate wearing gloves and love the heated wheel in the winter. Heated steering wheel was not an option offered on the vehicle I now have and I miss it.

Geezer is taking any opportunity to showoff his newfound ability to post a picture (even though it took him a few attempts on this one).

Pocket Knife: I have a half dozen I EDC off and on. Cheapest is a Kershaw Leek, which is great around the office. Probably the costliest is a Spyderco Military. All keep a very good edge, some better than others, but all better than a cheap knife.

Cars: Let's touch a couple points. Heated seats? Let me add, heated steering wheel. If arthritis is already hitting you, this is a God-send. Also, good fvcking tires. Do not buy these shit Chinese brand tires, all of them drop off in wet and snow traction and in durability. Don't buy tires at Walmart, even the name brands there are cheap Chinese made crap. Tires are the single most important thing on your vehicle other than routine maintenance...don't trust your ass to cheap Chinese shit.

Mattress: You spend like a third of your life in bed. Make it awesome. I am not going to tell you what is best for you. I will tell you there is almost zero chance it costs less than a grand, unless you weight like 100 pounds. We have the Tempur-Pedic Luxebreeze, and it is without a doubt the best $$$ to worth thing I have ever bought, it keeps us cool and is just stupid comfortable...highly recommend.
Do those spyderco's have assisted opening? I have a couple of SOG's and a Kershaw's. Really like them. Always like the looks of the Spyderco.

Mattress: You spend like a third of your life in bed. Make it awesome. I am not going to tell you what is best for you. I will tell you there is almost zero chance it costs less than a grand, unless you weight like 100 pounds.
1. I think @herdfan429's suggestion ties into your suggestion.
2. I think I may be close enough to your threshold to be able to purchase a mattress for under a grand.

2. I think I may be close enough to your threshold to be able to purchase a mattress for under a grand.
I was at a mattress store recently and they had models on the floor that were priced at over 3k. I’d have a heart attack if the cat threw up on one of those.

Aside - could you all recommend a handgun for hiking? I take the kids out kind of deep and feel like I want to have one.

My budddy said a Glock 43x. Does that sound right?

Aside - could you all recommend a handgun for hiking? I take the kids out kind of deep and feel like I want to have one.

Really depends on the level of concealment that you want as well as your experience with firearms.

Revolvers by nature are better for those with less experience - no manual safety and a heavier trigger pull though less capacity.

I like a Smith and Wesson Shield as a smaller firearm that handles well and is easy to shoot. How a firearm fits your hand is important, though many now come with adjustable backstraps.

It comes down to preference and what is comfortable for you to carry, handle and shoot. Try several out, either from friends or a range that rents them.

Really depends on the level of concealment that you want as well as your experience with firearms.

Revolvers by nature are better for those with less experience - no manual safety and a heavier trigger pull though less capacity.

I like a Smith and Wesson Shield as a smaller firearm that handles well and is easy to shoot. How a firearm fits your hand is important, though many now come with adjustable backstraps.

It comes down to preference and what is comfortable for you to carry, handle and shoot. Try several out, either from friends or a range that rents them.

Thanks, that’s helpful.

I’m a novice on hand guns.

I was thinking to keep it in my ruck sack, not on my body.

Guns are like shoes. Everyone has an opinion but it’s personal. I personally have a 1911 and love it much better than glocks but buddy can’t stand my 1911. Go to the gun range talk to people and shoot shoot shoot then make a decision. Have your wife shoot it too

I was at a mattress store recently and they had models on the floor that were priced at over 3k. I’d have a heart attack if the cat threw up on one of those.
That is why you put a comforter and sheets on top of your mattress.

Last edited:
If I bought a 3k mattress, wouldn’t I want everyone to see it?😁
Let’s be honest- at your age, you aren’t getting many people in your bedroom to see the mattress. And if you are lucky enough to get somebody from the local senior home into your bedroom, she’s too fvcking old to be able to see anything on the mattress.

Carl, I own two handguns. But I don’t have any children, let alone young children.

The girl I dated for two years in Utah was a hiking freak. We would go on extremely long hikes through some very remote places. Mountain lions and venomous snakes are all over Utah.I saw way too many for my liking while hiking and biking. We accidentally hiked 18+ miles in the Grand Canyon. I’ve hiked Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, both of which are full of bears, more times than I can count. I’ve hiked many times in the Cleveland National Forest which is home to many mountain lions and coyote.

I’ve never once had an incident where I felt I may need a handgun.

I promise: with young children, you are far, far more likely to have a bad incident involving the gun and them at home than you ever are to need it while hiking. You’re not in Africa. You’re in the mid-Atlantic/Appalachia, right? Just avoid the people from Deliverance, which is admittedly challenging if you’re in West Virginia, and you’ll be fine.

And let’s face it: you’re a doctor. Have you never watched Dateline? It’s only a matter of time before your wife sets your murder up as either a suicide, a robbery gone bad, or an accident, shortly after you coincidentally increased your life insurance. Putting a handgun in the house is just handing her the silver platter to have you offed.

Make better decisions.

Let’s be honest- at your age, you aren’t getting many people in your bedroom to see the mattress. And if you are lucky enough to get somebody from the local senior home into your bedroom, she’s too fvcking old to be able to see anything on the mattress.
After that attack on the elderly, you won’t be getting an invitation to my next mattress viewing party. Just think, you could have worn your diamonds.

Reactions: thunderscope

Carl, I own two handguns. But I don’t have any children, let alone young children.

The girl I dated for two years in Utah was a hiking freak. We would go on extremely long hikes through some very remote places. Mountain lions and venomous snakes are all over Utah.I saw way too many for my liking while hiking and biking. We accidentally hiked 18+ miles in the Grand Canyon. I’ve hiked Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, both of which are full of bears, more times than I can count. I’ve hiked many times in the Cleveland National Forest which is home to many mountain lions and coyote.

I’ve never once had an incident where I felt I may need a handgun.

I promise: with young children, you are far, far more likely to have a bad incident involving the gun and them at home than you ever are to need it while hiking. You’re not in Africa. You’re in the mid-Atlantic/Appalachia, right? Just avoid the people from Deliverance, which is admittedly challenging if you’re in West Virginia, and you’ll be fine.

And let’s face it: you’re a doctor. Have you never watched Dateline? It’s only a matter of time before your wife sets your murder up as either a suicide, a robbery gone bad, or an accident, shortly after you coincidentally increased your life insurance. Putting a handgun in the house is just handing her the silver platter to have you offed.

Make better decisions.

I do have a lot of term life insurance….

I was actually thinking more for some of the characters I’ve seen out on the trails more than the wild life. I don’t get the feeling when I’m out alone , but some visceral feeling when I’m with the kids that says “you should have a gun out here.”

I’ll think about it more though.

Absolutely agree about the gun safety issue being probably the bigger harm . I do take that part very seriously with my existing firearm .

I was actually thinking more for some of the characters I’ve seen out on the trails more than the wild life. I don’t get the feeling when I’m out alone , but some visceral feeling when I’m with the kids that says “you should have a gun out here.”
That is one reason I pretty much stopped camping. I didn’t like the thought of nothing more than a few millimeters of tent nylon to protect me from possible dangerous strangers in the woods.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT