ADVERTISEMENT

Fat Patty’s Barboursville

Nov 29, 2011
The Fat Patty’s in Barboursville is getting rid of all Marshall related memorabilia. They feel this will increase the business by ridding the greasy restaurant of all green and white. Last time I go to that place! Go HERD.

The Fat Patty’s in Barboursville is getting rid of all Marshall related memorabilia. They feel this will increase the business by ridding the greasy restaurant of all green and white. Last time I go to that place! Go HERD.
Screw them. You want split the restaurant fine. Have equal amounts of eerdiot gear. Maybe they're losing business because the food isn't what it used to be and the place stinks. The last time I went in there it smelled like mildew and old beer. I wanted to leave as soon as I walked in.

Is that due to Fat Pattys being sold? An employee told us that he thought the Marshall stuff was going to be put back up after the renovation is complete.

Reactions: Catfanatic1979v1

I vote for a CUSA theme. Get some jerseys and stuff from like Rice and Charlotte. I don’t understand the point of that. It’ll be as boring as McDonald’s on Hal Greer. Fat Patty’s is no longer Phat in my book

Reactions: MUman06
Serious question: You think anyone who lives in the Huntington area and either roots for WVU or is a WVU alum provides business for Huntington area businesses?
One day I hope we stop acting like idiotic children who got there toy taken away and try to be the bigger person.

Just to be clear. Anyone business in the Huntington area needs to put signs that say WVU fan money not welcomed here. Correct?

This is almost as outrageous as the time the Route 60 Wal-Mart had all of those WVU landscaping flags back in the early 2000s.
Sounds like it's time for a good ol' fashioned boycott!

Reactions: Catfanatic1979v1
Fat Patty's has gone corporate, whatever.

As to the broader question, I'm sure there are a few WVU actual alumni and many non-alumni idiots around, so what? Find your own spot and continue your decades long circle jerk about how your program matters. It doesn't.

Screw them. You want split the restaurant fine. Have equal amounts of eerdiot gear. Maybe they're losing business because the food isn't what it used to be and the place stinks. The last time I went in there it smelled like mildew and old beer. I wanted to leave as soon as I walked in.

As soon as Fat Patty’s got sold I knew it would go downhill. (And I don’t blame Clint for selling it)

It was never gourmet food. The people who pull the “best burgers in town”, I don’t get that. If I wanted somewhere to get the BESTBURGER I’d go somewhere that actually cooked a fresh patty to order.

But what you did get at Fat Patty’s was a fun environment (typically Marshall themed sports bar), large portions, good specials, fun specialty burgers, and decent enough service at a good price.

Since going corporate the patties and portions are getting smaller, sounds like the environment is going away. How out of touch as a corporation do you have to be to not see what separates your investment from the competition?

Last edited:
They updated the one in Huntington. Looks much better. Still have MU stuff there.
That said, I never understood the fascination with their food. Average at best.
I guess because there were several different burgers to choose from. It just wasn't your standard burger. Some were really good and some were so-so.

It was never consistent though. Sometimes I really like my food and other times I thought it was bad. Once to the extent I got really sick off of it.

I really liked their pretzel burger. Another on I like that defied physics is that Patty Balboa burger. I still don't understand how I ate the entire thing and not one drop of marinara sauce dripped on my plate.

Others point to corporate as the downfall. In my opinion it started to decline once they opened other restaurants. With different people managing each one and the ownership not able to be at all three at the same time it just watered it down. Selling them just pretty much killed it.

The best restaurants are never corporate chain owned. They're local dive spots that the ownership cares more about the people and the food than the bottom line. Corporations stat using cheaper food and smaller portions. I traveled a lot in my previous position and hands down the best food always came from some hole in the wall mom and pop diner.

I guess because there were several different burgers to choose from. It just wasn't your standard burger. Some were really good and some were so-so.

It was never consistent though. Sometimes I really like my food and other times I thought it was bad. Once to the extent I got really sick off of it.

I really liked their pretzel burger. Another on I like that defied physics is that Patty Balboa burger. I still don't understand how I ate the entire thing and not one drop of marinara sauce dripped on my plate.

Others point to corporate as the downfall. In my opinion it started to decline once they opened other restaurants. With different people managing each one and the ownership not able to be at all three at the same time it just watered it down. Selling them just pretty much killed it.

The best restaurants are never corporate chain owned. They're local dive spots that the ownership cares more about the people and the food than the bottom line. Corporations stat using cheaper food and smaller portions. I traveled a lot in my previous position and hands down the best food always came from some hole in the wall mom and pop diner.
I know from personal experience that the quality of a business is not usually as good when you depend on a manager instead of local hands-on owner-operators. And why the knee-jerk reaction about WVU when the original post mentioned nothing about them. This from a from birth MU diehard!

Nitty Gritty Grinder is my go to for Fats

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
They are taking the MU things down because management feels its hurting their business at the B'ville and Teays Valley locations. Thats the mindset of the new owners. They hopefully will see a backlash in continued declining sales.

They are taking the MU things down because management feels its hurting their business at the B'ville and Teays Valley locations. Thats the mindset of the new owners. They hopefully will see a backlash in continued declining sales.
Yehh Barboursville was never known as MU country? Not that I know, but sounds like they might have other issues.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Marshall country starts to wane at the Milton city limits. Pretty much over by exit 39. :-///

There are 10 Herd fans for every one Spamite in Putnam County, and probably 100 to 1 in Barboursville. What is killing Fat Patty's is that corporate has gone cheap on the food. I never understood what this corporate outfit saw in the joint in the first place. They were going "national' with this "concept". What concept? Its a sports bar with some memorabilia for the local college. That is something found in any college town anywhere. And if you take out the Marshall angle, then what is Fat Patty's then? A generic sports bar with no theme. Which you can find in any town in North America.

There are 10 Herd fans for every one Spamite in Putnam County, and probably 100 to 1 in Barboursville. What is killing Fat Patty's is that corporate has gone cheap on the food. I never understood what this corporate outfit saw in the joint in the first place. They were going "national' with this "concept". What concept? Its a sports bar with some memorabilia for the local college. That is something found in any college town anywhere. And if you take out the Marshall angle, then what is Fat Patty's then? A generic sports bar with no theme. Which you can find in any town in North America.
Its bar food. No different than most any bar in the area

But the name and thinking about a juicy hot greasy meat patty on a bun sure makes my mouth water. I wish I had a chance to visit the restaurant when I was still in the area.

I don't wanna bash the place. It is simply bar food you can find at any place in town. Places are better. Actually they have overcooked every burger Ive eaten there. Don't like burgers at all. Good atmosphere. Thats about it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT