ADVERTISEMENT

Fayetteville /NRG help

-CarlHungus-

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 9, 2007
Long story short…

We were supposed to go to Montreal but had a death in family. I’m staying a day or so at the Greenbrier then back to Charleston for services.

I will have my family with me (kids 6,8,10).

Is there a quick hike I can do with them on way from Greenbrier back to Charleston? I haven’t been to Fayetteville in probably a decade or so. Or anything to burn energy off/see something cool that will only take about 2 hours or so?

Thanks for any tips.

Didn't know where this was going. Saw Fayetteville/NRG help.

I was assuming Fayetteville NC. Fayetteville NC and NRG help mean something completely different.

Sorry about that Doc, not much help with your request.

Sorry, meant Fayetteville WV and New River Gorge Park.

Thanks, was my mothers Grandmother. Lives a long life, had been on hospice for a while. Just important to be there with family we all felt.

Thanks, was my mothers Grandmother. Lives a long life, had been on hospice for a while. Just important to be there with family we all felt.
Sorry to hear that. Yes it is important for family to be there.

I guess I'm the forum expert on the topic at hand. First, don't do a hike. Since you have your kids with you, I would take them to adventures on the gorge. They have numerous activities, zip lining, horseback riding, great restaurant with views of the bridge and gorge. Other activities as well, but you could go to their web page to view the options. You could also stop at the state park visitors center to look at all of their things, as well as spend 30 minutes walking down the steps to the viewing platform. You could also do the bridge walk, and that place is across the street from the visitors center. Another great thing to do is ride the gorge jet boats. Those take off at Hawks Nest state park.

With that said, had you not had the kids with you, my list of things to do would have been lengthy, and a helluva lot more fun.

Oh, and the have a Sheetz, so don't get much better than that. There's also a small shop off the last Fayetteville exit heading north towards the bridge that sells lots of great craft beer, including all the beers from most of the WV breweries. Tell the girl that runs the shop you know rifle to get a 2% discount.

I guess I'm the forum expert on the topic at hand. First, don't do a hike. Since you have your kids with you, I would take them to adventures on the gorge. They have numerous activities, zip lining, horseback riding, great restaurant with views of the bridge and gorge. Other activities as well, but you could go to their web page to view the options. You could also stop at the state park visitors center to look at all of their things, as well as spend 30 minutes walking down the steps to the viewing platform. You could also do the bridge walk, and that place is across the street from the visitors center. Another great thing to do is ride the gorge jet boats. Those take off at Hawks Nest state park.

With that said, had you not had the kids with you, my list of things to do would have been lengthy, and a helluva lot more fun.

Oh, and the have a Sheetz, so don't get much better than that. There's also a small shop off the last Fayetteville exit heading north towards the bridge that sells lots of great craft beer, including all the beers from most of the WV breweries. Tell the girl that runs the shop you know rifle to get a 2% discount.
Thank you , that’s actually quite helpful .

I had no clue that adventures at the gorge thing existed. Definitely would have tried to get a cabin had I known. Geeenbriee has been ok but food is not good.

Anyway - I think we may just have time to stop by the state park HQ and figure out what views we can find.

Sorry to hear this man. I’m very fond of your mother and I hope she’s doing OK. I’ll have to shoot her a text.

Any chance you would just bring them to Hurricane and let them do the Meeks trail?

There is a biking and hiking trail at Caldwell about 15 from the Greenbrier. Goes all the way to Snowshoe Resort. Bikes, horses, hikers are allowed.

Sorry to hear this man. I’m very fond of your mother and I hope she’s doing OK. I’ll have to shoot her a text.

Any chance you would just bring them to Hurricane and let them do the Meeks trail?
Thanks man.

See above, it was my wife’s grandmother.

I think we may stay just one night with my parents. Mostly in law stuff in Charleston.

Reactions: big_country90
I had no clue that adventures at the gorge thing existed. Definitely would have tried to get a cabin had I known. Geeenbriee has been ok but food is not good.
back around 2012, we took the kids down through that area for a WV vacation. we left home without a reservation anywhere and drove until the kids started the typical "are we there yet" rants. pulled into a place in that area that had nice modern log cabins for rent and they wanted upwards of $350/night. it was right at 5 p.m. and they were closing the office for the evening. asked the lady if she'd rather make $125 off a cabin for the night or would she rather it set empty. she smirks and says, "could you do $175?" told her i'd meet her in the middle at $150 and she took it. stayed there for a couple or three nights then moved on south to pineville for a night and took the kids on the hatfield/mccoy trails.

we took the kids to adventures and they absolultely loved it. they were 10 and 8 y.o. at the time. we also did a raft trip on the new and rented a boat for a day on summersville lake.

that vacation ranks at the top of all of them we've taken the kids on which includes hawaii, punta cana, a couple trips to flerda, texas, bahamas, etc.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
I was at a wedding recently at Adventures On The Gorge. That is a first class place, good food, good service and lots to do. The views there are amazing!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT