ADVERTISEMENT

Final 3

It doesn’t suck for us. We need to bring in coaches that have ambition. We are not a destination right now. And maybe one day we will be. But right now we need an ambitious coach. If schools are taking your head coach, it’s usually because you are winning.
You cam name the destination schools on 1 hand. There are NO G5 schools in that list and there never will be unless there are exsanguinating circumstances. Near retirement age, graduated from there and family in the area etc

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Huff and Ledford both seem like quality, high energy and dynamic coaches. With their previous coaching moves, both would likely consider the MU job a stepping stone for a P5 position. Huff seems to have moved around a little more than Ledford. Serious question about Huff - considering Saban's age and that he is Associate Head Coach, why is he looking now rather than waiting in the wings at Alabama?

It doesn’t suck for us. We need to bring in coaches that have ambition. We are not a destination right now. And maybe one day we will be. But right now we need an ambitious coach. If schools are taking your head coach, it’s usually because you are winning.
"Usually because you are winning."

Coaches with ambition don't have ambition for the program but for themselves. Since MU is a G5 program, that may not be a good thing.

Reactions: uscncfan
Huff and Ledford both seem like quality, high energy and dynamic coaches. With their previous coaching moves, both would likely consider the MU job a stepping stone for a P5 position. Huff seems to have moved around a little more than Ledford. Serious question about Huff - considering Saban's age and that he is Associate Head Coach, why is he looking now rather than waiting in the wings at Alabama?
Because Saban didn't tap him when Sark was leaving?

Because Saban didn't tap him when Sark was leaving?
He was recently making $550k at Alabama. I guess a bump in pay plus the upside of resume building as a HC are considerations but you can also do a lot of resume building as Number 2 guy at Alabama plus possibly have an inside track there.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
You're right and that sucks for MU.
If Huff is as driven as he can be, he'll be the first on every open job after the 2021 season concludes.

How many games would Huff need to win to gain interest from a program he could jump to next?

I doubt its as many as people may want to think and if true, MU will be stuck once more with no HC and no CUSA title.
I don’t understand this thinking. Wouldn’t a prudent AD build a ginormous buy-out into the contract? $5 million wouldn’t keep an SEC school from writing a check, but would go a helluva long way towards making it possible to repair the men’s rooms @ the Joan & make another quality hire to take over....

I don’t understand this thinking. Wouldn’t a prudent AD build a ginormous buy-out into the contract? $5 million wouldn’t keep an SEC school from writing a check, but would go a helluva long way towards making it possible to repair the men’s rooms @ the Joan & make another quality hire to take over....

$5 million is pocket change for the SEC and plenty of other P5's.
But MU would run the risk of signing a coach for a big buyout then he completely underperforms. MU is stuck with the length of the contract and its too expensive for anyone to want to get him.

He was recently making $550k at Alabama. I guess a bump in pay plus the upside of resume building as a HC are considerations but you can also do a lot of resume building as Number 2 guy at Alabama plus possibly have an inside track there.

I don't know what Sark was making but goodness, just being mildly successful as an OC at Bama will get you plenty of P5 opportunities. Maybe even skip it all and go to the NFL.

I don't know what Sark was making but goodness, just being mildly successful as an OC at Bama will get you plenty of P5 opportunities. Maybe even skip it all and go to the NFL.
Looks like he was making $2.5 million. I'd think Huff will be getting a bump from $550k.

Marshall will never be a destination school. There's only a handful of school that can claim that and none are G5s. I mean you're talking Bama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and USC.

Marshall got spoiled with Pruett. Now that's what we look for. Pruett was the perfect storm of a top coordinator who was a former MU player that dreamed of coaching at MU. I don't know if that guy is currently in existence. Phil Ratliff probably was our best bet for that and sadly he is no longer with us.

I'm with you on wanting to get a coach that's ambitious though. Though we also don't need a coach that already has his foot out the door before the other foot has cleared the threshold. No school at any level can sustain turnover like that.

What we need to find is another Jim Donnan.

However I fear out admin wants another lifer and we'll get Lambert.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Sark has always had a reputation as a really good coach. Never forget he made Washington good again and parlayed that into the USC job then got fired for being a drunk. Sark hasn't been proving his coaching acumen. He's been biding his time and rehabbing his image. Now he's back at a top level program at Texas.

Ledford is out.

Ledford is out.
I understand that Ledford appears to be out. My question was, as you have stated, if Marshall isn't a destination school why would Huff consider leaving Alabama as Assistant Head Coach to come here for probably less money?

I understand that Ledford appears to be out. My question was, as you have stated, if Marshall isn't a destination school why would Huff consider leaving Alabama as Assistant Head Coach to come here for probably less money?

Because winning as a head coach will get you offers much quicker to become head coach at a bigger school. This seems like a pretty common practice for coaches working their way up the ranks.

Look at how many coaches have a good 3 year run at MAC schools then get called up to coach at a much bigger school. What made those guys want to go to a lowly MAC school? I think it's the same thing that would make them want their own program to run at Marshall.

I mean hell, anyone who's worth their salt should be able to look at our weak conference, our facilities, current stock of players and think to themselves, yeah, I can be successful there.

Because winning as a head coach will get you offers much quicker to become head coach at a bigger school. This seems like a pretty common practice for coaches working their way up the ranks.

Look at how many coaches have a good 3 year run at MAC schools then get called up to coach at a much bigger school. What made those guys want to go to a lowly MAC school? I think it's the same thing that would make them want their own program to run at Marshall.

I mean hell, anyone who's worth their salt should be able to look at our weak conference, our facilities, current stock of players and think to themselves, yeah, I can be successful there.
ml - this x 1000%. Look gang - this ain’t 3D chess! Huff has been around elite P5 programs we will never sniff. He knows the deal! Don’t think he hasn’t already analyzed the gamut of Herd football: Facilities/players/staff/competition/future schedules. He is walking in eyes wide open! This is a very exciting development !! Sadly, he has been informed that we will not be fielding a team starting in 2030, so he may turn us down because our fans think this is the end days for Marshall football.....:oops:

You guys knocking Huff for not being named OC at Alabama really haven’t paid attention to how things have been working down there recently.

The last two Alabama offensive coordinators were Lane Kiffen (had been head coach of Raiders, USC (the real one), and Tennessee. The OC after Kiffen had been head coach at U-Washington, and USC.

The next OC at Alabama is going to be Bill O’Brien, who has been Texans head coach past six years, and was Penn State head coach prior to that.

The OC job at Alabama recently has been helmed by entirely over-qualified coaches. That’s what happens when that P5 money rolls in on top of being the dominant program in College Football for 12 seasons. They have more money than they know what to do with in Tuscaloosa.

Also, I thought I read that Huff was at $800k as RB coach in 2020? I think he got a big bump between 2019 and 2020.

If Ledford is out as has been reported then Huff will be the new head coach. There is no way President Gilbert fired Doc only to turn around and hire Doc's DC to take over the program. I just don't see it as plausible Gilbert seeing a need for change in the program would give the job to Lambert after he just fired Doc. That would not be changing the football program in any meaningful way. IMO regardless if the committee is spilt or even if they recommend Lambert, Gilbert is not going to choose Lambert.

I get that. But Brohm won at WKU and he went to..... .Purdue.... Just saying that winning in CUSA or at Marshall might not be the resume builder we might think it is. For all we know the BoG might be playing Huff for optics and he might be playing us for negotiating leverage at Alabama, be it a significant salary increase or positioning for the OC. But Huff might be in a point in his life where he just wants to be a HC and MU could be that place. This isn't silly season for no reason.

But Brohm won at WKU and he went to..... .Purdue....

That's a B1G program. Although he may have made a poor decision, given the school's limitations in such a difficult conference, it's still a HC job at a major university. I see your point, but taking a HC position at any Div I-A university is a big deal, and, if you build up impressive wins (over quality opponents) someone will start knocking on your door.

Why didn't Holliday get swooped up by any other schools? Because he lacked quality wins. Outside of Stowers and Perkins, everyone else could see through that.

Slightly off point here, but I remember during Cato's final season with us, @herdalicious made a comment about how we were fooling ourselves if we thought Holliday would still be with us a year from that point, but here we are now, bitching about how long it took to get rid of him. In fairness, it looked like Holliday had learned enough about being a HC while on the job, recruited the right players, and we were ready to assume our position on the top pedestal of CUSA.

Marshall will never be a destination school. There's only a handful of school that can claim that and none are G5s. I mean you're talking Bama, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and USC.

Marshall got spoiled with Pruett. Now that's what we look for. Pruett was the perfect storm of a top coordinator who was a former MU player that dreamed of coaching at MU. I don't know if that guy is currently in existence. Phil Ratliff probably was our best bet for that and sadly he is no longer with us.

I'm with you on wanting to get a coach that's ambitious though. Though we also don't need a coach that already has his foot out the door before the other foot has cleared the threshold. No school at any level can sustain turnover like that.

What we need to find is another Jim Donnan.

However I fear out admin wants another lifer and we'll get Lambert.

I agree, we will never be a destination school. I would love to find a coach that is here a max of 5 years. Our program is in a place right now where I think the coach can come in and have success right away. For an ambitious coach that’s important. The best we can hope for is make this one of the best G5 schools. But that gets into a whole different set of issues.

I get that. But Brohm won at WKU and he went to..... .Purdue.... Just saying that winning in CUSA or at Marshall might not be the resume builder we might think it is. For all we know the BoG might be playing Huff for optics and he might be playing us for negotiating leverage at Alabama, be it a significant salary increase or positioning for the OC. But Huff might be in a point in his life where he just wants to be a HC and MU could be that place. This isn't silly season for no reason.
He's getting paid quite well at......Purdue.

Slightly off point here, but I remember during Cato's final season with us, @herdalicious made a comment about how we were fooling ourselves if we thought Holliday would still be with us a year from that point
How DARE you hold me accountable for the substance of my posts. The opinions I express here are a product of my knee-jerk reactionism and my momentary whim. They're like rainbows: as temporary as they are majestic.

He's getting paid quite well at......Purdue.
Outside of the ridiculous money Purdue is paying Brohm do you think it is an upper-tier head coaching job? Do you think he will ever be playing for national championships there?

For him it was probably a good fit - close to family in Louisville, maybe he likes the challenge of building a program rather than inheriting one and of course the money...

Outside of the ridiculous money Purdue is paying Brohm do you think it is an upper-tier head coaching job? Do you think he will ever be playing for national championships there?

For him it was probably a good fit - close to family in Louisville, maybe he likes the challenge of building a program rather than inheriting one and of course the money...

Do you think that 90% of the Big 10 coaches at schools not named Ohio State will ever be playing for national championships at those schools? 90% of the coaches at SEC schools not in Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge will be playing for national championships at their current schools? Any current coach at an ACC school not named Clemson? You get the picture.

Reactions: ru4_mu2 and Elkview
Do you think that 90% of the Big 10 coaches at schools not named Ohio State will ever be playing for national championships at those schools? 90% of the coaches at SEC schools not in Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge will be playing for national championships at their current schools? Any current coach at an ACC school not named Clemson? You get the picture.
Or put in a different way. Is Purdue a destination job for Brohm? Excellent salary but a difficult climb to achieve consistent levels of success there (i.e. top 20 rankings, bigger bowl games). After 4 years he has an overall losing record with one winning season (thanks to a late 4th quarter td against Rich Rod and Arizona).

If he would have stayed a couple more successful years at WKU could or would he have been considered for a HC position with an upper echelon program? How long will Purdue pay $6 million per year for a losing record?

It is a moot point with Charles Huff now. He is leaving an associate head coaching position with the current national champion for possibly a cut in pay to be the head coach at MU. Just wondering if that was the best move for him considering the circumstances.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT