ADVERTISEMENT

FIRE BILL LEGG

Probably worth noting anytime you compare a Marshall coach to Bob Pruett that you take two things in mind:

1) He inherited a program in transition from FCS to FBS, loaded with NFL talent, on a positive trajectory
2) We cheated the whole time he was here, and when we had to stop, he quit

It's also worth noting that when someone posts stuff like ^^^^, it's proof they don't know good coaching when they see it.

So you are saying Legg should have just gone with the true Freshmen in 2010?

Never said anything like that. If you take the job as coach of a team, you inherit what you inherit. If you can't tweak your system to use the players that you have, then you're just lazy or incompetent.

Never said anything like that. If you take the job as coach of a team, you inherit what you inherit. If you can't tweak your system to use the players that you have, then you're just lazy or incompetent.

Well, he took the helm in 2010 and in 2013 had us 1st in the East and in the conference championship game.

Well, he took the helm in 2010 and in 2013 had us 1st in the East and in the conference championship game.

In the time it took Doc to get a divisional title, Pruett had 4 conference championships. Keep digging that hole, it's getting deeper.

In the time it took Doc to get a divisional title, Pruett had 4 conference championships. Keep digging that hole, it's getting deeper.

If you think all coaches can do that then seriously, you're beyond help...and seeing your posts in other topics, you are already beyond help.

If you think all coaches can do that then seriously, you're beyond help...and seeing your posts in other topics, you are already beyond help.

Of course all coaches can't do that. That's the point, Pruett did it. And judging by your posts on this topic alone, I can see you're clueless.

Of course all coaches can't do that. That's the point, Pruett did it. And judging by your posts on this topic alone, I can see you're clueless.

I didn't deny Pruett was an exception to the rule. He and maybe a handful of others are.
I do ask who was the last coach who was able to come in and take over an already winning program and keep it winning consistently? Boise State when Peterson left is about all I can think of off the top of my head. Just about every coach has a bad year when they take over, and it is expected, however, they begin to turn it around.

I didn't deny Pruett was an exception to the rule. He and maybe a handful of others are.
I do ask who was the last coach who was able to come in and take over an already winning program and keep it winning consistently? Boise State when Peterson left is about all I can think of off the top of my head. Just about every coach has a bad year when they take over, and it is expected, however, they begin to turn it around.

I don't know the last one, but Donnan did it for us. He matched Chaumps last season 6-5 record and then hit it out of the park by going 11-4, 12-3, 11-4, 12-2, and 12-3. Good coaches can do that.

Reactions: goherdorgohome2
The dude quit on the first day of Spring Practices. As if the sanctions we were hit with weren't enough, he set the building on fire on his way out the door. Then he comes back five years later after having "spent enough time with his family (in Charlottesville)" to try to get his job back after Snyder was fired and the repercussions of his tenure had passed. Then last year there was the sh-- with him and Justice trying to get Marshall's president, AD and head coach all fired, just so he could come back at 70...

I don't care if he was the reincarnation of Lane Kiffin's last past life, that man has done at least as much harm to Marshall as he did good.

Last edited:
Reactions: pdbailey
The dude quit on the first day of Spring Practices. As if the sanctions we were hit with weren't enough, he set the building on fire on his way out the door. Then he comes back five years later after having "spent enough time with his family (in Charlottesville)" to try to get his job back after Snyder was fired and the repercussions of his tenure had passed. Then last year there was the sh-- with him and Justice trying to get Marshall's president, AD and head coach all fired, just so he could come back at 70...

I don't care if he was the reincarnation of Lane Kiffin's last past life, that man has done at least as much harm to Marshall as he did good.

You need professional help.

Reactions: caliherd
564368dc608df60ab6eb6af043bb077e--prayer-rocks-prayer-pictures.jpg

I'm sure many of you did not know this but Bob had a severe medical situation going on and almost died he quit because he had to have surgery and was not medically fit

I'm sure many of you did not know this but Bob had a severe medical situation going on and almost died he quit because he had to have surgery and was not medically fit
Would explain the break in coaching anywhere for a few years

One can also speculate how Pruett would have done for 2 more years when the NCAA sanctions set in.

As has been discussed many times, the sanctions were over by the time Pruett retired. Snyder didnt have a single season where he was limited in scholarships so Pruett would have done just fine. Snyder underachieved as a head coach for the same reasons Doc has underachieved. Number 1, neither are good head football coaches. Number 2 both kicked off / ran off too many of our football players.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/spor...cle_926a78cf-e75f-5ff9-a4f1-1599e1eec3b8.html

The dude quit on the first day of Spring Practices. As if the sanctions we were hit with weren't enough, he set the building on fire on his way out the door....

As I mentioned in the previous post, sanction were over by the time he left. Also, the reason he waited until spring was to insure we were able to sign the recruiting class and would have a full roster. He didn't want to leave right after the season ended and leave Marshall possibly scrambling to sign recruits to fill the roster. Further, the coaching staff was already in place and would have been the sames coaches that would have been there if Pruett would have stayed. Pruett did not leave Marshall in a bad situation so dont blame him for Snyders's failures.

Last edited:
As I mentioned in the previous post, sanction were over by the time he left.

I don't think you understand how class progression works in college athletics, but okay.

Also, the reason he waited until spring was to insure we were able to sign the recruiting class and would have a full roster.

Which was awesome for the players, and lead to the positive, winning attitude that Marshall was known for in the wake of his departure.

Further, the coaching staff was already in place and would have been the sames coaches that would have been there if Pruett would have stayed.

I'm not sure that was so much an advantage as it was a necessity, but okay.

Pruett did not leave Marshall in a bad situation so dont blame him for Snyders's failures.

Right, because quitting after the coaching hiring season had ended, when all qualified candidates were already starting spring practices at their new jobs, put Marshall in a prime position to hire somebody willing to take over a program recovering from sanctions, who'd step in during the second or third week of spring practices and not have the ability to bring in his own staff until at least his second season.

I don't blame Pruett for Snyder's failures - I blame him for his hiring.

Reactions: pdbailey
All that would have been needed is hire kueck as interim for one year while a replacement was hired. They got who they wanted.

As I mentioned in the previous post, sanction were over by the time he left. Also, the reason he waited until spring was to insure we were able to sign the recruiting class and would have a full roster. He didn't want to leave right after the season ended and leave Marshall possibly scrambling to sign recruits to fill the roster. Further, the coaching staff was already in place and would have been the sames coaches that would have been there if Pruett would have stayed. Pruett did not leave Marshall in a bad situation so dont blame him for Snyders's failures.
Not true at all. He wanted Keuck to get the job and waited until late so that Keuck would at least be given the job on an interim basis, since there wouldn't be much if any good candidates left available. The administration and boosters had other ideas.

All that would have been needed is hire kueck as interim for one year while a replacement was hired. They got who they wanted.
That's why Pruett waited so late. He wanted Keuck to be his replacement.:D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT