ADVERTISEMENT

Fire D'Antoni

The issue with that is, going with the "we're young" excuse or movement - means another 2-3 years to see if the supposed young guys can develop into legit D1 players.
In 2022, young should never be an excuse. The current system has shown that Universities can't count on Player A, B or R to be around for more than one semester, if that. Coaches better be building for the next year, one year at a time. And the new system SUCKS!

So you are saying that the guys who went to practice and took the time to write up their opinions to the rest of us were lying to us?

That they were never ever honest in any of their reporting of the practice reports?
Lying? No. Only seeing things through Kelly Green glasses? Yes. Claiming this was Dan's deepest and most talented roster is proof of that. Remember the problem with the team this year was going be how Dan was going to be able to keep everyone happy with their minutes.

I am going to support the current Marshall Coaches and players. Certainly not happy with the way the season is going. Until someone with the authority says changes are in order, we need to encourage and support all of the folks that represent our great university. The players from last year have demonstrated better shooting ability than being shown this year. Coaches have responsibility for getting players to do their best. No one has a clue what is going on with each player and we can spend an inordinate amount of time speculating and or blaming. None of the players or coaches benefit from this kind of rhetoric. We may well need some changes but until the staff with authority make that decision, I am with them. There is nothing wrong with being critical of specific circumstances, plays, and coaching decisions. Personal attacks create doubt, worry and morale problems.

Sad to say, but Marshall simply doesn't not have the financial resources to keep a top notch head coach for any prolonged period of time. Those few who have stayed otherwise have a deep connection to the local community that predated their tenure as a coach at MU.

The last two really good head coaches we have had for MU men's basketball didn't stay very long at all (Donovan and Altman), due in large part the reason given above.

Sad to say, but Marshall simply doesn't not have the financial resources to keep a top notch head coach for any prolonged period of time. Those few who have stayed otherwise have a deep connection to the local community that predated their tenure as a coach at MU.

The last two really good head coaches we have had for MU men's basketball didn't stay very long at all (Donovan and Altman), due in large part the reason given above.
The reason why Donovan left was his wife hated the Huntington area. At least one reason!

I see this morning's headline in the HD & THAT makes my stomach turn! Imagine Charles Huff in the post game interview: "You all saw the same game as me. I put this loss squarely on my players! Our QB is throwing great passes, but the damn receivers keep dropping them. The receivers catch everything thrown their way in practice! I am doing my part, why can't they do theirs? Now I'll open it up for ?" !!!!!

I always notice Dantoni strolling the sideline with his arms folded or just hanging to his sides. He paces 5 steps toward the end of the court where the ball is, turns and moves 5 steps the other direction when they move to the other end of the court. Most of his conversation is with the officials as they pass by. After he was ejected the assistant coach was very excited and involved in the game shouting out instruction and or encouragement to the players. I know coaches can't score points, but they can act like they care.

Bleeds - you bring a lot to this and the other board, but I swear I've seen your point made regarding observations from the practice hounds about this being a deep and talented team 100x now. Sometimes you post more than 20x in a 2 page thread (not kidding - I just counted on the recent basketball post on OF). I think you can trust that we've all seen this point made now. That said, there is an obvious fallacy in viewing practice performance against our own players vs game day performance against a completely different set of players. Sometimes the two will correlate, and other times it will look this way simply because we aren't very good and can dominate against our own players because either a) they aren't good or b) our scheme is terrible.

At the same time, it does no good to rag on practice reports and make it out like they're to blame for anyone having any optimism (heaven forbid!) or that you're some kind of Nostradamus for not believing the hype. We have some great basketball posters on this forum that were buying into this team early in the year when they were doing some good things. Ultimately, things have fallen apart and that doesn't mean those guys don't know what they're talking about or that there wasn't a time when there was reason to think that we might work out a salvageable season this year.

This season sucks, worse than any Jirsa season that I remember (at least we had a WVU win that year!), and I am hopeful that Dan chooses to retire this year too. I still appreciate the people who follow this team hell or high water and attend practice and share their views here. I hope they don't stop posting here simply because a couple of people try and blame them for a tough season.

I am going to support the current Marshall Coaches and players. Certainly not happy with the way the season is going. Until someone with the authority says changes are in order, we need to encourage and support all of the folks that represent our great university. The players from last year have demonstrated better shooting ability than being shown this year. Coaches have responsibility for getting players to do their best. No one has a clue what is going on with each player and we can spend an inordinate amount of time speculating and or blaming. None of the players or coaches benefit from this kind of rhetoric. We may well need some changes but until the staff with authority make that decision, I am with them. There is nothing wrong with being critical of specific circumstances, plays, and coaching decisions. Personal attacks create doubt, worry and morale problems.

You'd be laughed off the board if this were football but I will say...

It's one thing to be critical if MU b-ball loses games, it's another at seeing HOW they are losing games.

MU isn't just losing, they're being outplayed, outmanned, outshot, and out coached.
Dan claims, "adjustments in the lineup will be made" quite often...and to the same result.

The worst part is the players don't need us, at all, to see what's being thought of. Literally the team is doing the talking for us.
When you've hit that point, the calls for a new HC are about as obvious and automatic as breathing...and that is a low MU is currently at right now.

You'd be laughed off the board if this were football but I will say...

It's one thing to be critical if MU b-ball loses games, it's another at seeing HOW they are losing games.

MU isn't just losing, they're being outplayed, outmanned, outshot, and out coached.
Dan claims, "adjustments in the lineup will be made" quite often...and to the same result.

The worst part is the players don't need us, at all, to see what's being thought of. Literally the team is doing the talking for us.
When you've hit that point, the calls for a new HC are about as obvious and automatic as breathing...and that is a low MU is currently at right now.
Hard to argue against you r comments considering our current circumstances. Our last football coach was here for 6 years before a nosedive dive to 3-9 and then was given another 6 years. Certainly not suggesting we do this with the basketball program. I do believe the administration will give D'Antoni an opportunity to turn things around next year. Not saying he will or will not. Until folks with authority make the decision to make changes, the current coaches and players deserve encouragement and support. I'm sure none of them are happy with our record this year. It may be harder on them than fans.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Hard to argue against you r comments considering our current circumstances. Our last football coach was here for 6 years before a nosedive dive to 3-9 and then was given another 6 years. Certainly not suggesting we do this with the basketball program. I do believe the administration will give D'Antoni an opportunity to turn things around next year. Not saying he will or will not. Until folks with authority make the decision to make changes, the current coaches and players deserve encouragement and support. I'm sure none of them are happy with our record this year. It may be harder on them than fans.

Yeah, I don't recall threads describing b-ball players as "the worst player at <position> at Marshall, ever." "Mediocrity" was overthrown like crazy in the other sport, yet they managed only 1 truly god awful year, unlike basketball.

This is the first thread actually demanding DD be fired...I don't recall papers even suggesting he be gone...but goodness, 100 points not being scored in football, clear house, and run the QB out of town.

I probably wouldn't mind if DD is given an undeserved pass to be here next season, it would show me MU's priorities are on football and other sports who want to win, and at least they'd communicate that to me.

As if any further evidence is needed, I offer tonite’s 1st half as exhibit A. And in doing so I am not taking anything away from FIU, because they are horrible……

Reactions: The Real SamC
Yeah, I don't recall threads describing b-ball players as "the worst player at <position> at Marshall, ever." "Mediocrity" was overthrown like crazy in the other sport, yet they managed only 1 truly god awful year, unlike basketball.

This is the first thread actually demanding DD be fired...I don't recall papers even suggesting he be gone...but goodness, 100 points not being scored in football, clear house, and run the QB out of town.

I probably wouldn't mind if DD is given an undeserved pass to be here next season, it would show me MU's priorities are on football and other sports who want to win, and at least they'd communicate that to me.
Any sport not above .500 is a bad season, especially in CUSA.
Football has been top dog here since 1990 or before. It’s not even close now.

As if any further evidence is needed, I offer tonite’s 1st half as exhibit A. And in doing so I am not taking anything away from FIU, because they are horrible……
We are now 8-16. .333 winning %. Pitiful. But if you are a baseball player and bat .333 for your career, meaning you make an out 2 out of 3 times at bat, you are going straight to Cooperstown. Go figure.

We are now 8-16. .333 winning %. Pitiful. But if you are a baseball player and bat .333 for your career, meaning you make an out 2 out of 3 times at bat, you are going straight to Cooperstown. Go figure.
That is because hitting a baseball is the hardest thing to do in sports. Coaching a basketball team in the lowly CUSA, where only about a third of the teams can and try to field legitimate teams, is far easier.

Yet DD has, again, totally failed to do so.

Fire DD.

Basketball is a sport that can be turned around in one year with an infusion of talent from transfers, JC's, and frosh. But this needs to be done with a new coaching staff. Having been at MU when Dan was, I have a soft spot for him, and for Mike. But he has done all he can for the program and now must turn it over to another coach. Brannen or Marshall would suit me just fine. Either could make us competitive quickly. They are proven college coaches.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Even in the 3rd grade, teachers would let you know if you failed a science experiment.

This is one of those failed experiments. Coaching high school basketball on the redneck riviera is much different than coaching a D1 basketball school. The sooner the bleeding stops, the quicker the program can heal.

With the transition to the SBC quickly approaching, the time is now. There's coaches out there that are available, and may be interested in a complete rebuild of a D1 basketball school.

There's no need to prolong this.

Fire DD today.

Dan's post game presser was abysmal. He basically threw the players under the bus, claimed he teaches them right & then they do the opposite in the games. Says he won't quit, the (quitting) isn't "in him". Guess the new AD will have a day 1 priority!!
Fire DD.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
When I hear the "We are young" it makes my stomach turn. That's an excuse that a coach uses when he has no answer.
I agree wholeheartedly... And a few more points to this end to ponder.

1. Every team is "young" especially the best teams, because nowadays the best players don't play more than 2 years in college. Duke, Carolina, Kentucky, etc are "young" every year. Being young is a shitty excuse.

2. We aren't young... Looking at guys that actually get to play with their COVID year included.

Taylor -- RS Sophomore (3rd year)
Kinsey -- Junior (4th year)
Byers -- Senior (4th year)
Miladinavoc -- Sophomore (3rd year)
OAK -- Freshman (2nd year)

George -- Senior (5th year)
Early -- Freshman (2nd year)
Braun -- Freshman (legit young)
Toussant -- Freshman (legit young)

Curious to know. Who are the posters (on this site) that attend the open practices? Are they sound basketball minds, former players, i.e., know the game well enough and non-partial enough to provide decent feedback. There's a huge difference in open practice and actual games. I once had a kid that played for me that would shoot lights out in practice, but once the lights were on and the fans were packing the gym, he would freeze up and seldom make a shot.
I know some of the people that attends most of Danś practices. Interesting one of Danś long time friends is calling for Dan to be dismissed......HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Reactions: Herd2413
I know some of the people that attends most of Danś practices. Interesting one of Danś long time friends is calling for Dan to be dismissed......HerdZilla22 in Charlotte
His real friends will urge him to step down and preserve a great legacy and take the high road. No one wants to see a legacy and the Dantoni name tarnished.

Basketball is a sport that can be turned around in one year with an infusion of talent from transfers, JC's, and frosh. But this needs to be done with a new coaching staff. Having been at MU when Dan was, I have a soft spot for him, and for Mike. But he has done all he can for the program and now must turn it over to another coach. Brannen or Marshall would suit me just fine. Either could make us competitive quickly. They are proven college coaches.

If Dan were smart, he'd have done this already.

Apparently DD has complained that the basketballers don't get charters the way the football team does. So, this morning the team boarded a charter for El Paso! A 6 hour flight in a prop.........
But, with the announcement this afternoon, this also means Sunday will be the last time we face the Miners in football or M basketball, so there’s that!!

Last edited:
Today’s announcement just gave Smith an opportunity. New Conference. New Coach. But let him retire with what’s remaining on his contract and name him special assistant to the President. 🎤 drop!

We will have to watch the next few games to see if Dan has found a way to right the ship. It is possible that too much emphasis on Kinsey getting the ball and expected to be the top scorer each game took away the motivation and loose play of the others on the team. Dan's style of play requires everyone to be a shooter and to play a loose, open type of offense. Yesterday's 11 assists by Kinsey shows that when he shares the ball, the other players will step up. Defenses in the conference have known that if they shut down Kinsey for the most part, they can beat MU. Let's hope we continue to see 5 guys in double figures in the remaining games.

We will have to watch the next few games to see if Dan has found a way to right the ship.

Actually, no we don’t. DD is incapable of making adjustments to his so-called “system” of shooting 3 pointers with no one set up for a rebound.

What we need to do is make it clear to him that this is the end, and he can go out with class, in which case our final home game on March 2nd, which is on actual television (ESPNU) will be “DD Night” with a big show. I personally will contribute $20 towards a new set of irons, or whatever retirement gift they feel is appropiate. Or he can fight us, in which case he is gone the second the plane lands back at HTS after our loss in the play-in round of our final CUSA tournament.

Either way, gone.

Fire DD.

.....with the announcement of the new AD hire a few weeks (at most) away, I imagine this will be one of his 1st priorities.....

We will have to watch the next few games to see if Dan has found a way to right the ship. It is possible that too much emphasis on Kinsey getting the ball and expected to be the top scorer each game took away the motivation and loose play of the others on the team. Dan's style of play requires everyone to be a shooter and to play a loose, open type of offense. Yesterday's 11 assists by Kinsey shows that when he shares the ball, the other players will step up. Defenses in the conference have known that if they shut down Kinsey for the most part, they can beat MU. Let's hope we continue to see 5 guys in double figures in the remaining games.
You mean it took Dan 25 games to figure out some changes that might work?

Nah. He's squandered this season away. He should be fired.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT