ADVERTISEMENT

FIRE HUFF! What a FU

Agreed! Time to clean house, sad part is this will be a continuous problem with our program. When you can’t pay decent wages for coaching staff/players(todays college football) you either get trash coaches/players or coaches/players using program as steeping stone. ( damn look at WVU, they pay good money and still have a mediocre coach). I remember the glory days when our name was mentioned in the same breath as Boise State, how far we’ve fallen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jartard
Agreed! Time to clean house, sad part is this will be a continuous problem with our program. When you can’t pay decent wages for coaching staff/players(todays college football) you either get trash coaches/players or coaches/players using program as steeping stone. ( damn look at WVU, they pay good money and still have a mediocre coach). I remember when the glory days when our name was mentioned in the same breath as Boise State, how far we’ve fallen.
Has nothing to do with money. There are P4s with idiots running them too.

Go to the lower levels and hire a winner instead of career position coaches.

Agreed! Time to clean house, sad part is this will be a continuous problem with our program. When you can’t pay decent wages for coaching staff/players(todays college football) you either get trash coaches/players or coaches/players using program as steeping stone. ( damn look at WVU, they pay good money and still have a mediocre coach). I remember the glory days when our name was mentioned in the same breath as Boise State, how far we’ve fallen.
We were Boise before Boise. It’s a shame. Having the money and nerve to actually clean the house when it needs it is an issue. We will not ever again play for championships as long as we tolerate staffs whose hallmarks are awful QB play, letdown losses after big wins, losing to MAC teams, and absolutely incompetent choke jobs when leading by multiple scores on the 4th. The program would be just fine if we’d simple win the ones we’re supposed to win. I don’t think any Herd fan would be critical of a coach that accomplished just that. You’d challenge for the Sunbelt each season, win your share vs lower P4 teams (Cincy etc), and knock off a bigger foe from time to time. Coming the the Joan would be what it used to be, a death trap.

Reactions: johns1124
We were Boise before Boise.
The focus of evil in the sports world, ESPN, wants that particular "little engine that could" storyline to remain in one place. It was us once, it was UCF, now the evil doers at ESPN want you to think it is perpetually Boise. It isn't.

Anyway, it certainly isn't us. Remember "this isn't a rebuilding". The failed cabal that went around the AD and hired this unqualified guy. The failed AD that now keeps him around, despite his results being "unacceptable". And the failed coach himself, although one cannot really blame him, he is pulling down large cash from a boss who doesn't expect results, take it as long as you can.

Now this IS A REBUILDING. 100%. It will take years and years to undo the CH damage to this program and begin to think about contending in the SBC, let alone reach the levels of the past. And that assumes the AD even gives a darn about winning, or has a clue about how to pick a winning coach if he does care. Nothing this failure has done so far gives me any illusion that CS cares if we win or lose, or has the ability to make the changes needed if he does.

But we never run out of Pepsi.

If huff was fired because the dumb ass should be how many pinko sorry ass people will cry he was fired because of his race? That has nothing to do with it

If huff was fired because the dumb ass should be how many pinko sorry ass people will cry he was fired because of his race? That has nothing to do with it
rick james cocaine GIF

Reactions: YNGHERD
Well if I hadn’t watched us lose to eci 4 years ago I never would have believed it possible
The focus of evil in the sports world, ESPN, wants that particular "little engine that could" storyline to remain in one place. It was us once, it was UCF, now the evil doers at ESPN want you to think it is perpetually Boise. It isn't.

Anyway, it certainly isn't us. Remember "this isn't a rebuilding". The failed cabal that went around the AD and hired this unqualified guy. The failed AD that now keeps him around, despite his results being "unacceptable". And the failed coach himself, although one cannot really blame him, he is pulling down large cash from a boss who doesn't expect results, take it as long as you can.

Now this IS A REBUILDING. 100%. It will take years and years to undo the CH damage to this program and begin to think about contending in the SBC, let alone reach the levels of the past. And that assumes the AD even gives a darn about winning, or has a clue about how to pick a winning coach if he does care. Nothing this failure has done so far gives me any illusion that CS cares if we win or lose, or has the ability to make the changes needed if he does.

But we never run out of Pepsi.
dont forget Tudors biscuits

As time marches on, and my roots sink deeper in Iowa after my time in WV, I really have grown in my affinity for Iowa State. But I try to watch the Herd if the games don't collide with Iowa State. And I've watched most of the Herd games this year. But last night, I was all in on watching the Cyclones whooping up on the 'eers, which was on at the same time as the Herd.

With that said, the ISU/WVU game had a lot of long drives on the ground, and the game got over quickly. So I turned over to the Herd/GS. 6 minutes to go, and up by 12. Cool, I'm gonna get 2 wins tonite in my fandom.

WTF was that? I'm not a big "fire the coach" guy, but that was one where I don't know if you can recover from. The internal interactions from the team have to be brutal. I don't see a culture where there is personal accountability by the players when looking at the Herd. An outcome like that is not one that builds team unity. You can rally the guys around some fluke Hail Mary that the other team made. Or even if they are just better than you.

But this is one, and I've seen it oodles of times in my sports watching, that teams just end up eating their own. Maybe I'm wrong, but this game was one that is going to kill any amount of player confidence in the coaching staff. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

At this point I have no idea why you would keep Huff. I think the fact we have a quick turnaround to Thursday night may play a part. But if there is another debacle Thursday night it's time (actually past time) for a change.

He's in the final year of his deal, which means he can't recruit or at the very least is at a major disadvantage in recruiting. He appears to be sabotaging the season with his system and so what you are going to be left with is: a team that is falling apart from within, a ton of exiting transfers (AJ Turner will be first in line to go to a bigger school), no incoming freshman class to speak of, and you're probably coming off a loss in the Northwestern Credit Lenders Spud McKenzie Bowl.

Fire him. If you struggle after that at least you made a move and it shows recruits (and your own players) that you have standards and are looking to hire someone ASAP. Keeping a lame duck coach who is being combative and has no desire to coach here makes no sense.

Based on recent results the Tudors offer has been reduced to a limit of one biscuit per day and only with the purchase of a large drink.
I have four years of eligibility.. I might take them up if that stands for me. Pretty good deal. Drink and biscuit for 2.99

We were Boise before Boise. It’s a shame. Having the money and nerve to actually clean the house when it needs it is an issue. We will not ever again play for championships as long as we tolerate staffs whose hallmarks are awful QB play, letdown losses after big wins, losing to MAC teams, and absolutely incompetent choke jobs when leading by multiple scores on the 4th. The program would be just fine if we’d simple win the ones we’re supposed to win. I don’t think any Herd fan would be critical of a coach that accomplished just that. You’d challenge for the Sunbelt each season, win your share vs lower P4 teams (Cincy etc), and knock off a bigger foe from time to time. Coming the the Joan would be what it used to be, a death trap.
Were we really Boise before Boise? Remember they put up a bigger guarantee for a 1-AA semifinal Championship series game when Donnan was the coach and we had to play the game in Boise. They had more money to spend than Marshall even back in those days. FYI: Donnan blew a halftime lead and lost the game.

At this point I have no idea why you would keep Huff. I think the fact we have a quick turnaround to Thursday night may play a part. But if there is another debacle Thursday night it's time (actually past time) for a change.

He's in the final year of his deal, which means he can't recruit or at the very least is at a major disadvantage in recruiting. He appears to be sabotaging the season with his system and so what you are going to be left with is: a team that is falling apart from within, a ton of exiting transfers (AJ Turner will be first in line to go to a bigger school), no incoming freshman class to speak of, and you're probably coming off a loss in the Northwestern Credit Lenders Spud McKenzie Bowl.

Fire him. If you struggle after that at least you made a move and it shows recruits (and your own players) that you have standards and are looking to hire someone ASAP. Keeping a lame duck coach who is being combative and has no desire to coach here makes no sense.

So Huff is intentionally sabotaging the program leaving it in shambles, so he can go elsewhere and be hired...said next destination would hire him...and ignore that he sabotaged the previous program?

Sam needs to say something, anything on this thread, to remain the dumbest poster on here because you're quickly taking over the title.

Reactions: cincyherdfan
Were we really Boise before Boise? Remember they put up a bigger guarantee for a 1-AA semifinal Championship series game when Donnan was the coach and we had to play the game in Boise. They had more money to spend than Marshall even back in those days. FYI: Donnan blew a halftime lead and lost the game.

Even Boise admitted they followed Marshall's approach to success in football and used it as a blueprint for their own success.

So Huff is intentionally sabotaging the program leaving it in shambles, so he can go elsewhere and be hired...said next destination would hire him...and ignore that he sabotaged the previous program?

Sam needs to say something, anything on this thread, to remain the dumbest poster on here because you're quickly taking over the title.
I am looking back at my post and I don't see anywhere that I said he was intentionally sabotaging the program. What I said was that he sabotaged the program with his system. Probably a poor choice of words using sabotage. But I forgot there are those on this board who are going to infer whatever they want from my post because they have already decided what I mean.

By the way, IMO, Huff has no desire to stay in Huntington past this year and will jump for whatever opportunity comes even if that means being a positional coach.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
I am looking back at my post and I don't see anywhere that I said he was intentionally sabotaging the program. What I said was that he sabotaged the program with his system. Probably a poor choice of words using sabotage. But I forgot there are those on this board who are going to infer whatever they want from my post because they have already decided what I mean.
But you did say he was being “combative.” And you ignored the question about that.

Nobody had to infer anything, as it was a very direct statement. Care to provide examples of him being combative?

By the way, IMO, Huff has no desire to stay in Huntington past this year and will jump for whatever opportunity comes even if that means being a positional coach.

You and I (and most on here) are on the same page in our views that MU football is pretty bad.
Why/how it's bad is the debate, hence why what everyone says will be read the way it is.
This is a fanbase who also had some (with one idiot believing it enough to post it on I think the other board) who thought Doc intentionally ruined MU's program for wvu.

You and I (and most on here) are on the same page in our views that MU football is pretty bad.
Why/how it's bad is the debate, hence why what everyone says will be read the way it is.
This is a fanbase who also had some (with one idiot believing it enough to post it on I think the other board) who thought Doc intentionally ruined MU's program for wvu.

Yeah, I don’t think Huff is intentionally leaving the program in shambles. I do think he is going to leave the program in a worst state than he found it. And I think there are several reasons for that.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Interested to read your reasons.
1. Recruiting. He’s relied heavily on the transfer portal to bring guys in. That’s not unique to him, I get it, to an extent that’s how college football operates. But you still have to have a base. We will see how this class shapes up, but he’s a lame duck coach. Not having a contract next year is going to hamper his ability to bring in a strong freshman class. Add into that the things he’s said about Huntington, Marshall fans, and the experience… and he has a lot stacked against him. When he leaves our cupboards could be very bare.

2. Money. According to some the bill is coming due on some of the money that’s been spent in the football program recently without a significant ROI. Maybe that’s true maybe it’s not. But I’m not sure our football program is in a better place from a financial standpoint.

3. Perception. He was the first hire that had no ties to Marshall in a while. To many fans, this is exactly why we shouldn’t conduct a “national” search. Because we need someone with skin in the game. I couldn’t disagree with this more. I think we need to hire the best guy for the job regardless of connections. The problem is I think our next hire won’t be handled that way because of how poorly this one went.

I just personally don’t think he’s done a good job. I don’t think when he leaves (most likely at the end of the year) the program will be better off than when he got here.

2. Money. According to some the bill is coming due on some of the money that’s been spent in the football program recently without a significant ROI. Maybe that’s true maybe it’s not. But I’m not sure our football program is in a better place from a financial standpoint.
That isn't a head coach's responsibility. A head coach is given a budget. He doesn't get to set the budget. If he is spending what is allotted to him and it hasn't provided a return, that is on the AD, not the head coach. Huff isn't going out and spending money on his own.

Keeping a lame duck coach who is being combative

But everybody should know that you just throw shit out there and hope something sticks, just like above, when you have absolutely nothing to support your claims.

1. Recruiting. He’s relied heavily on the transfer portal to bring guys in. That’s not unique to him, I get it, to an extent that’s how college football operates. But you still have to have a base. We will see how this class shapes up, but he’s a lame duck coach. Not having a contract next year is going to hamper his ability to bring in a strong freshman class. Add into that the things he’s said about Huntington, Marshall fans, and the experience… and he has a lot stacked against him. When he leaves our cupboards could be very bare.
Take a look at the top 25, and tell me how many are mainly (or all) no transfer teams. The answer is 3. Clemson, and the service academies. Texas State hired a new coach who brought in a new team and instantly was better. JMU this year, Indiana this year. HS recruiting matters VERY little now, because by the time they get PT, they are at another school, unless you're a highly rated recruit playing right away, and in that case they will probably transfer too.

Take a look at the top 25, and tell me how many are mainly (or all) no transfer teams. The answer is 3. Clemson, and the service academies. Texas State hired a new coach who brought in a new team and instantly was better. JMU this year, Indiana this year. HS recruiting matters VERY little now, because by the time they get PT, they are at another school, unless you're a highly rated recruit playing right away, and in that case they will probably transfer too.

I never said we had to be a no transfer team. I even went as far as to say that its unrealistic to be a team like that. My point is, you still do need a base of freshmen coming in. I think he will struggle to recruit those guys. The transfer portal may also be a struggle for us because when it opens December 9th, it is possible we don't have a new coach named. Meaning we're going to have to rely on the spring window. Which is definitely not ideal.

1. Texas State 8-5 - bowl win one of the best seasons in that programs history
  2. JMU 11-2 and the best season in program history. One of the best G5 teams in the country. (Also they hired a great coach, I wish we had hired him last year).
  3. Indiana 3-9 but hired one of the hottest coaching candidates away from JMU, also a P4 program with substantially large pockets than us meaning they can reset much faster.
We do not fit any of those models currently. We have a lame duck coach, not a coach winning 11 games or having the best year in program history while sitting in a recruiting hotbed like Texas. We don't have the money to throw at transfers and players to keep them here like IU.

We are in a very different situation than the 3 you gave as examples. I'm not saying our program is doomed. I'm not even saying next year will suck. What I am saying, is that if Charles Huff is out at the end of the year (it certainly appears he will be, and that he won't mind) then we will be in a tougher spot than we he took over.

3. Perception. He was the first hire that had no ties to Marshall in a while. To many fans, this is exactly why we shouldn’t conduct a “national” search. Because we need someone with skin in the game. I couldn’t disagree with this more. I think we need to hire the best guy for the job regardless of connections. The problem is I think our next hire won’t be handled that way because of how poorly this one went.

I just personally don’t think he’s done a good job. I don’t think when he leaves (most likely at the end of the year) the program will be better off than when he got here.

1. Every major program except the service academies, will have massive turnover in players. It's just the way it is and is going to be until the likes of Texas or ohio state or Notre Dame scream "it's not fair!"

Marshall is at a disadvantage because they can't afford to even buy the proverbial table scraps from the recruiting pool.

I used to say MU would end up like this not because of NIL, but because of the head coaches leaving and even that wouldn't be what MU fans would consider successful.

But it's even worse because it's players leaving before coaches can.

2. Rifle is right, Huff isn't a bank, he's the head coach. He has a budget for the year/program. It's up to him to allocate it based on what is needed (I do recall Doc taking a pay cut to keep assistants as an example), but it's up to the AD to market the team and take care of finances itself.

BTW, what "bill is coming"?

3. He is exactly the type of hire ALL of you wanted. You wanted a young, energetic assistant/coordinator/literally anything from a big program who will take MU to the promised land and win a conference title (which I have said, time and time again, is NOT always a measurement of success by bigger programs)...and then leave...and everyone would be fine with it.

Perception is jaded on the fans.

Seriously, y'all need to pick one stance or the other:

A. MU is terrible and never will be what it once was "oh Heavens how we've fallen since App State and JMU are popular in the SBC and we are not"
B. Complain and whine when MU doesn't win every game, since they are expected to. Get mad when a head coach who actually does their job <cough> coach Caldwell, leaves for a higher/better position but should stay and be grateful for the lifetime opportunity the great MU program has benevolently bestowed upon thee.

Speaking of, Spears hired her...she had no ties to MU by any means.

She is the exact blueprint (as is coach Grassie) for MU to use for its coaching searches.
I have confidence he can hire the right man for the job at MU for football.

Huff took over a conference title game caliber team...so I do agree, he's likely to leave it in a lesser position than he found it.

1. Every major program except the service academies, will have massive turnover in players. It's just the way it is and is going to be until the likes of Texas or ohio state or Notre Dame scream "it's not fair!"

Marshall is at a disadvantage because they can't afford to even buy the proverbial table scraps from the recruiting pool.

I used to say MU would end up like this not because of NIL, but because of the head coaches leaving and even that wouldn't be what MU fans would consider successful.

But it's even worse because it's players leaving before coaches can.

2. Rifle is right, Huff isn't a bank, he's the head coach. He has a budget for the year/program. It's up to him to allocate it based on what is needed (I do recall Doc taking a pay cut to keep assistants as an example), but it's up to the AD to market the team and take care of finances itself.

BTW, what "bill is coming"?

3. He is exactly the type of hire ALL of you wanted. You wanted a young, energetic assistant/coordinator/literally anything from a big program who will take MU to the promised land and win a conference title (which I have said, time and time again, is NOT always a measurement of success by bigger programs)...and then leave...and everyone would be fine with it.

Perception is jaded on the fans.

Seriously, y'all need to pick one stance or the other:

A. MU is terrible and never will be what it once was "oh Heavens how we've fallen since App State and JMU are popular in the SBC and we are not"
B. Complain and whine when MU doesn't win every game, since they are expected to. Get mad when a head coach who actually does their job <cough> coach Caldwell, leaves for a higher/better position but should stay and be grateful for the lifetime opportunity the great MU program has benevolently bestowed upon thee.

Speaking of, Spears hired her...she had no ties to MU by any means.

She is the exact blueprint (as is coach Grassie) for MU to use for its coaching searches.
I have confidence he can hire the right man for the job at MU for football.

Huff took over a conference title game caliber team...so I do agree, he's likely to leave it in a lesser position than he found it.

1. Do you seriously believe that a coach without a contract next year is not at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting?

2. When Huff arrived he pushed for new funding and adjusted budgets.

3. There you go again building strawmen and putting words in my mouth. I do not blame coach Kim at all for leaving. She made the right move. She also built something while she was here and reinvigorated our program. She's the exact type of coach we need. Huff doesn't fit that mold. I hope that Spears does find another Caldwell. I think Huff tried to flip our position for a bigger one as quickly as possible, without actually building anything of relevance (no conference championships).

The last thing we can agree on... Huff took over a conference title caliber team. He's leaving a team that is not at that same level or has not played at that level.

He’s relied heavily on the transfer portal to bring guys in. But you still have to have a base.
I can tell you I know for a fact this is incorrect. Yes, we use the portal, but the coaches are recruiting outside the portal regularly. Going to HS games, visiting kids when they can in their homes. Their job is literally a 24/7 job, and a big portion of that is constant recruiting outside of the portal during the season and off season.

This is Marshall sports. There has never been an ROI. You not being sure makes sense.

What I am saying, is that if Charles Huff is out at the end of the year (it certainly appears he will be, and that he won't mind) then we will be in a tougher spot than we he took over.
We will be in no different position than we've been the last 2 coaches. Snyds was a dumpster fire and the team under Doc was divided and mismanaged. The critical difference now, being no fault of Huff's, is the portal which allows players to leave whenever they want. But, every team is facing that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT