ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL GAME THREAD G-W

It's got to have something to do with it because ND's DL is a lot better than the last three teams that we've faced and out OL played out of their minds. Forget about BG and Troy. G-W was in the backfield all day long. Gardner freaking Webb. You're telling me that their DL is better than ND?

No there's something systemically wrong with this team. It's not just the OL. That's just what we're really paying attention to.
Honestly I think ND was just a bit stubborn. They didn't get aggressive with being active on the DL and bringing a lot of pressure. Their bigger linemen coming straight at us were a better match up for our bigger, slower OL. I'm sure they are kicking themselves now.

I know it's first world complaining, but the lack of down and distance is just unbelievable. Even local HS football broadcasts here in Georgia have D&D graphics.
D&D was working during the first part of the game.

Honestly I think ND was just a bit stubborn. They didn't get aggressive with being active on the DL and bringing a lot of pressure. Their bigger linemen coming straight at us were a better match up for our bigger, slower OL. I'm sure they are kicking themselves now.
that might explain some of it, but their talent level would have still made up for some of their gameplan.

Regardless of that Trickett, Huff, and Legg didn't see fit to stack the side of the OL that Troy kept loading up on. Now I wonder if the rift between Huff and the last OL coach was that the OL coach knew what adjustments needed to be made and Huff didn't agree with him.

The other part is that teams have figured out that we are absolutely no threat to hit big downfield plays that everything is going to happen within 5-15 yards of the LoS and they are crowding. Laborn's running lanes are closing more quickly and Colombi struggles. I couldn't believe some of those throws today.

We have other o lineman that recieve scholarships on the roster don't we? Why not try mixing it up. There is literally nothing else to lose. If we can get 5 guys that can do an average job, not great, just average, then we can bring in a qb that can stretch the field and change our offense. But maybe this is what Huff wants. Even though he said we were going to be all gas and no brakes. He just have meant his mouth

Here's something for the thought process. Laborn goes into the line, gets tackled and one of the opponent's 340 lb. linemen falls on his leg, tearing an acl. You talk about a sh@#%$ty situation turning bad, there it is. This guy ran the ball 35 times, caught 2 passes and had a few dropped/poorly thrown passes. He touched the ball on nearly 50% of our plays. That should never happen. I thought Ali was overworked last year, but this is ridiculous.

We have other o lineman that recieve scholarships on the roster don't we? Why not try mixing it up. There is literally nothing else to lose. If we can get 5 guys that can do an average job, not great, just average, then we can bring in a qb that can stretch the field and change our offense. But maybe this is what Huff wants. Even though he said we were going to be all gas and no brakes. He just have meant his mouth
There's a reason backups are backups. If the 2s can't beat these 1s then that tells you they have no business out there. We have no offensive depth. Aside from RB maybe.

Here's something for the thought process. Laborn goes into the line, gets tackled and one of the opponent's 340 lb. linemen falls on his leg, tearing an acl. You talk about a sh@#%$ty situation turning bad, there it is. This guy ran the ball 35 times, caught 2 passes and had a few dropped/poorly thrown passes. He touched the ball on nearly 50% of our plays. That should never happen. I thought Ali was overworked last year, but this is ridiculous.
The rumor is Ali may be ready to come back in some capacity for Louisiana... We need him to come back. Laborn should get 22-25 touches, Ali 10-12 for now, and Turner a few when we can work him in.

You can't ride a guy for 32-35 touches multiple weeks in a row. I don't care if he's a 5th year senior.

Unless we miraculously fix our offensive line and develop a consistent passing game, we are going to need to run the ball a lot (because its the one thing we do well right now) between the tackles. Need to spread it around.

Win in the books. My that was a horrible game.

Such a boring offense, like watching paint dry. Trickett is trash and should never have been handed the keys when he had zero experience. Huff needs to really think about replacing him before he himself gets replaced. It’s starting to look more and more like Bill Legg ball with 50 million screen passes, pure garbage.
Offense is not good - predictable and has no rhythm or identity. Both QBs are struggling with the QB shuffle and have no confidence. Pick one QB, or give one of the frosh QBs a shot. Based on the dink & dunk passes, any of our QBs on the roster can make those throws. We are lucky our defense is keeping us in the games!

Reactions: goherdorgohome2
I can watch just about any college football game besides Marshall and see an offense take advantage of the games momentum. from a turn over or a good defensive stand, why not throw one deep? Just because you put together a game plan doesn’t mean you don’t practice going off cuff and actually call a game that works…

this is typical bill legg style planning, they run the same crap no matter what the defense is and if these player would run it right it will work… I would like to see us start going for the jugular

The rumor is Ali may be ready to come back in some capacity for Louisiana... We need him to come back. Laborn should get 22-25 touches, Ali 10-12 for now, and Turner a few when we can work him in.

You can't ride a guy for 32-35 touches multiple weeks in a row. I don't care if he's a 5th year senior.

Unless we miraculously fix our offensive line and develop a consistent passing game, we are going to need to run the ball a lot (because its the one thing we do well right now) between the tackles. Need to spread it around.
I believe thats always been the plan, for Ali to be back for Louisana.

Huff said in his post game that Laborn is going to have to continue to have this many carries. Said we're going to do what it takes to win.

I can watch just about any college football game besides Marshall and see an offense take advantage of the games momentum. from a turn over or a good defensive stand, why not throw one deep? Just because you put together a game plan doesn’t mean you don’t practice going off cuff and actually call a game that works…

this is typical bill legg style planning, they run the same crap no matter what the defense is and if these player would run it right it will work… I would like to see us start going for the jugular
Huff said in his post game when asked about why we weren't more aggressive especially after the turnovers and he said he purposely chose not to throw downfield yesterday because of the weather.

Huff said in his post game when asked about why we weren't more aggressive especially after the turnovers and he said he purposely chose not to throw downfield yesterday because of the weather.
I get not throwing the ball down field in bad weather. Buttttt we were playing Gardner Webb, I mean come on man!

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Huff said in his post game that Laborn is going to have to continue to have this many carries. Said we're going to do what it takes to win.
Then that is shitty coaching... We have 11 days to prepare for Louisiana. No reason not to have another back up to speed. Turner did a fine job when he was in there, he could handle 5-6 more touches a game no problem if Ali isn't ready to come back. Laborn taking 30+ carries every single week should not be Plan A.

Let’s go under center, With A FB. Go old school since we only have run game
With our personnel this would make sense, but we don't have a fullback on the roster and Trickett isn't rewriting his playbook in week 6... In the offseason it would probably make sense to have Payne add 10-15 lbs and become a short yardage, true FB.

Then that is shitty coaching... We have 11 days to prepare for Louisiana. No reason not to have another back up to speed. Turner did a fine job when he was in there, he could handle 5-6 more touches a game no problem if Ali isn't ready to come back. Laborn taking 30+ carries every single week should not be Plan A.

With our personnel this would make sense, but we don't have a fullback on the roster and Trickett isn't rewriting his playbook in week 6... In the offseason it would probably make sense to have Payne add 10-15 lbs and become a short yardage, true FB.
I'm starting to feel sorry for Laborn. Huff is doing to him what Doc did to Rockhead back in 2015. It's sad that we get a RB like Laborn and it's going to be a waste for how this season my turn out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT