ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL GAME THREAD GAME DAY - Norfolk State

It's pretty generic and balanced. Colombi looked very poised and accurate, and Payne and Laborn looked good at RB. Laborn appears to be an inside power back where Payne is a quick hitter. The defense looks as good as last year, and our Freshman kicker looks very accurate and boomed a few kick-offs into the end zone.
Great summary. I should just subscribe to you.

(Somewhere Sammy is crying in his Frosted Flakes).

A very impressive performance all around. 2nd string was playing before halftime. I liked the pace of the offense

only concern I have is Oline. I do think they will gel and get better as season progresses though.
will be interesting to see how the defense does against real competition. But overall a solid outing. The dline is stacked.

Another thing which was great see was the team on the sidelines. They were a TEAM. No individuals off by themselves pouting or sulking. Everyone celebrating together. There has definitely been a culture shift over the last year.

I felt like we played well. Next week will show us plenty. Overall an a+

Thought play calling was very good. Safe passes to move the chains. Colombi doesn’t have a strong arm and I am good with that. The 10-15 yard plays work just as well and cut down on turnovers.
Backs ran very well.
OL will have to bust their ass against ND for us to have any chance at all.

Liked that Huff played a ton of kids

The kicker had 45 yards in penalties by himself. But I suppose he can fix that rather easily. Other than that, one holding penalty that I can remember and an offside penalty that negated a blocked FG. Honestly, not too bad for game one.

Maybe "Always the Herd" can moderate it.
giphy.gif

You used to be able to turn WSAZ and watch the Marshall game. Now in the age of technological marvels, you have to have a computer science degree from MIT and even then you finally realize you don’t have the right equipment to connect to the game
I'm with you on this.

Our QB’s completion percentage is off the charts. Seems to be a nice pickup.

Our QB’s completion percentage is off the charts. Seems to be a nice pickup.
Cautiously optimistic there. He threw most of those completions right around the line of scrimmage. The INT in the endzone was tipped. The other incompletion he threw very, very, very late… Ahmed was running alone and the throw was so late, he actually wound up having to throw it over the only defender within 20 yards of Ahmed.

I thought he held onto the ball sometimes a beat longer than necessary before deciding to run. I think he may have had open WR’s that he missed on some of those plays, too.

That said, he was very accurate and got the ball to WR’s quickly. That’s what he’s here to do and he did that effectively. We’re all rooting for consistency and that was a good solid B performance. B’s in 12 straight games and we’re ok. No lower than B with some A’s sprinkled in and we’re in business.

Reactions: RhinoD
Some final thoughts from yesterday...

Pros --
• Colombi looked like he was as advertised... A 6th year guy, mature, good decision maker (with one exception, and even that was a tipped ball).
• Running back by committee should be fine until Ali returns.
• Our tight end group doesn't necessarily have a star, but 3-4 guys that can all play and contribute.
• The defensive front seven looks very good (as they should with all returning players and improved depth)
• We made field goals and extra points without issue.
• We played a ton of guys. Pretty much everyone in uniform got in there at some point it looked like.

Cons --
• Offensive line play was up and down... Good in the run game, not great in pass protection. Colombi made it not seem as bad as it was by extending plays and being able to scramble.
• Can we not kick the MF'n ball out of bounds?... For the love of god why do we try to coffin corner every kickoff?
• WR is still a question mark after Gammage.
• It looks like we are still using the Cramsey playbook with Trickett calling plays. Bubble screens and outside runs work when the other team is less talented than us, I don't know if that is going to get in the end zone next week.

Overall, we did exactly what we should do against a FCS team at home in week one. I think our defense is good enough to keep us in the game at Notre Dame. Let's hope we can move the ball and score some points against a very good defense.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT