ADVERTISEMENT

Game will be called

Wow.....what a gigantic shift in the forecasted path! No way our game gets played with the center of the TS located just NE of Columbia @ 8:00pm. In a strange twist, it looks like, weather-wise, Raleigh will be in better shape than Columbia.....

The NC State game next week could also be affected. Depending on the time the storm hits Raleigh and the amount of damage, State may not be able to practice and/or safely get out to get here for that game.

Reactions: Marine03
I wouldn't expect a plane to be leaving WV for Columbia SC on Friday afternoon....

The track has shifted substantially in the last 24 hours. Game will probably be played but getting back is going to be hell

Last edited:
If half of South Carolina is underwater and they still play this game, the potential for priority backlash could be pretty strong.

Reactions: Sash19
If the current path comes to fruition there is no way a football game is going to be played in Columbia on Saturday night. It's just not possible to play football underneath potentially the strongest storm to hit the east coast since Hugo.

My guess is both ADs are giving this as much time as possible to make a decision, in order to see if the track changes again, but they will make a final call tomorrow sometime. If I were a betting man I would bet it gets cancelled.

If the current path comes to fruition there is no way a football game is going to be played in Columbia on Saturday night. It's just not possible to play football underneath potentially the strongest storm to hit the east coast since Hugo.

My guess is both ADs are giving this as much time as possible to make a decision, in order to see if the track changes again, but they will make a final call tomorrow sometime. If I were a betting man I would bet it gets cancelled.

Sensationalist much? The storm would be a 1 at landfall if it shifts down to S.C., tropical storm status as it comes inland.

Sensationalist much? The storm would be a 1 at landfall if it shifts down to S.C., tropical storm status as it comes inland.
Meaty urologist (that's how he pronounces it) Rob Fowler seems to think it's gonna be bad. At this point it's more a matter of resources. I would love to go to the game but it's gonna be a miserable nightmare if they play it. Didn't they just put brand new sod down after the concert?

It probably will get cancelled now, but this storms gonna fade fast once it gets close to land

Wrong....the slow movement of the storm will dump heavy amounts of rain on the majority of SC for at least 24 hours. They are talking 4-6 inches in Columbia and as much as 8-12 in Myrtle and 24+ in Wilmington NC. This storm will get near land tomorrow night and not technically pass the Grand Strand area until Saturday.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan

I saw absolutely nothing sensational in his post.

That's because there wasn't anything sensational... NOAA (the people entrusted with predicting these things) says that the storm will be a Cat 4 upon approach and a Cat 3 when the eye makes landfall near Wilmington on Friday morning. As it slows down, the rainfall total predictions are staggering, again this isn't from Storm Johnson your local wacky weather guy, its the scientists at NOAA. The totals that just came into the newsroom where I am currently sitting, are showing some areas of eastern NC and eastern SC getting 20+ inches of rain with the central part of each state looking at anywhere from 12-18 inches.

I don't have any reason to sensationalize a storm that is 300 miles wide, with current winds at 130 mph, that is predicted to drop more than a foot of rain across much of the Carolinas.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/152637.shtml?key_messages#contents

If you'd like a little sensationalism, the National Weather Service just issued a release calling this storm, and I quote, "The storm of a lifetime for the Carolinas" and NC Gov. Roy Cooper just issued a press briefing encouraging people from Charlotte east to be prepared to be without power for "several days."

Just saw where Ohio at Virginia has been moved from Charlottesville to Vanderbilt's stadium in Nashville, TN... Interesting idea, wonder what the fans think of that (I imagine the crowd will be far smaller than at UVA). My dad is going to be in Nashville on business, I told him he might be able to get in free, or at least very very cheap.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Just saw where Ohio at Virginia has been moved from Charlottesville to Vanderbilt's stadium in Nashville, TN... Interesting idea, wonder what the fans think of that (I imagine the crowd will be far smaller than at UVA). My dad is going to be in Nashville on business, I told him he might be able to get in free, or at least very very cheap.

Think I heard it’s free admission.

Florence is going to be a giant dud and all these people who cancelled football games are going to wish they hadn't

The only schools that I think may regret their decision (because they made it too early) are Virginia and Va. Tech... As the storm track has shifted south the timeline has shifted with it. Now the models have the storm not even getting near Blacksburg until Monday. Looks like its going to miss Charlottesville all together.

The forecast for Raleigh is improving as the track shifts south as well, but at least I can understand why they cancelled. They were in the target line until about yesterday morning.

It looks like the entire state South Carolina is still going to be a flooded out mess Saturday and Sunday, so in my opinion the right call was made on our game. Let's hope we can find someone to play on Oct. 27.

If the Herd is interested in making a game up, the most logical seem to be either heading to East Carolina or Central Florida on the 27th of October.

UCF would probably make the most sense, if the Herd felt they had a shot at making an access bowl.

To be the best, you have to beat the best.

If the Herd is interested in making a game up, the most logical seem to be either heading to East Carolina or Central Florida on the 27th of October.

UCF would probably make the most sense, if the Herd felt they had a shot at making an access bowl.

To be the best, you have to beat the best.

The issue there is working out the deal... UCF is certainly not going to come to Huntington, and I don't think that our athletic department would have much interest in going there in between our two biggest league games of the year.

ECU may be more doable since we have future games scheduled with them... We could go there this year and add a return game down the road (2023 or beyond) to go with the series already scheduled.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT