ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL GAME THREAD Gamethread: Stonybrook

I will also add. I went back and rewatched our offensive possessions for each qb. Stone locks onto the receiver he is throwing to and it pretty obvious where he is going with the ball. I’m not a coach, just an observation.

Cole doesn't have a lot speed or quickness for D1 football. He is not a good match for this type of offense. I think he will be a backup for the rest of career if he stays at Marshall. I do find it interesting that his younger brother is going to play non-scholarship football at Dayton. Several people who have seen Luke play think he has more upside than Cole.

did you go to the game? have you read the backgrounds on the retreads? SMH

Well, I have only missed 3 home games since ‘96, never left a game early, and consistently attend practices in which most do not.

I’ve seen each of the 3 QB’s take more reps than 95% (maybe more) of fans so yeah I feel like I have finger on the pulse of things.

I also understand that some stories are never going to be told no matter how badly some want to be able to tell them.

Cole and Braxton had the advantage of seeing the defense they were playing for almost 3 quarters.

Well, I have only missed 3 home games since ‘96, never left a game early, and consistently attend practices in which most do not.

I’ve seen each of the 3 QB’s take more reps than 95% (maybe more) of fans so yeah I feel like I have finger on the pulse of things.

I also understand that some stories are never going to be told no matter how badly some want to be able to tell them.
So you saw what I saw the retreads have peaked while Cole has upside

Cole had good WR’s to throw too. His improvement is starting to show. More evidence to come I suspect. All three are not that bad.

You can say you think Cole has improved, although I’m not sure you can make that assumption based off anything you’ve seen so far, but to say anything else is simply grasping for straws.

You can say you think Cole has improved, although I’m not sure you can make that assumption based off anything you’ve seen so far, but to say anything else is simply grasping for straws.
I’d be interested to see what would happen if they started Cole on Saturday. I think the other 2 would run to the portal

I’d be interested to see what would happen if they started Cole on Saturday. I think the other 2 would run to the portal

They very well may but I don’t know what that has to do with anything.

Cole wasn’t the starter last year for a reason.

He’s not the starter (or backup) this year for a reason.

Even if he had more potential than the other two, we need to win now. I’m not worried about what could be. I’m worried about what is.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
They very well may but I don’t know what that has to do with anything.

Cole wasn’t the starter last year for a reason.

He’s not the starter (or backup) this year for a reason.

Even if he had more potential than the other two, we need to win now. I’m not worried about what could be. I’m worried about what is.
Well let me just say I’ve seen this movie at MU before, it didn’t end well

The first 2 don’t have skin in the game

Well let me just say I’ve seen this movie at MU before, it didn’t end well

The first 2 don’t have skin in the game

See, your opinion is emotionally based which is never a good thing.

I don’t care about skin in the game. I care about what’s best for the program no differently than the staff.

I’d suggest everyone else doing the same.

See, your opinion is emotionally based which is never a good thing.

I don’t care about skin in the game. I care about what’s best for the program no differently than the staff.

I’d suggest everyone else doing the same.
Emotional based please. I remember 1982 when the coach kept the best QB on the bench for 6 games

Emotional based please. I remember 1982 when the coach kept the best QB on the bench for 6 games
I would think that using Sonny as an example doesn't make your point. Sonny was a bad coach and an even worse offensive minded coach. He played favorites with a lot of players and ran off some good players for no reason at all. His 39-69-1 record at Marshall proves he wasn't a good coach. Sure Huff has made mistakes, but he is a better/smarter coach than Sonny at this point.

I think Cole might be a decent QB at a lower college level in the right system to fit his skill set. He hasn't show much potential in practice or games at this point of his career. If he was good, he would had hit the portal by this time.

JS - if you didn’t leave that Cincinnati game a few years back, my hats off to you.

• Haha
Reactions: goherd73
I thought they all played well. But accuracy isn't really the concern. Split second decision making is what we need. Not having that is what leads to QB turnovers more than accuracy. I mean all those guys can put a ball through a tire. But in a game with defense coming at you, I felt like Earle, at least in this game, was more rigid and not as decisive, at least early on. He got better. Cole looked uncomfortable for a couple plays then shined. But long enough for me to think "Not this again." Braxton seemed like the one that came off the bench most ready to do the thing. I think he gives us the best chance of a quick start on offense. We have had slow starts for a long time on offense. I think we're lucky to have all three and if any goes down I feel like we'll still be okay for the first time in a long time.
That is exactly what I saw too. Earle and Cole for that matter when they were going through their reads were snapping their heads around like they were rushing to the next guy. Braxton, save for his first throw, looked comfortable and his movement was much more fluid. The offense seemed to just run smoother with him in there.

I liked that he took shots down the field as well. That is what we need to keep that box light.

Cole and Braxton had the advantage of seeing the defense they were playing for almost 3 quarters.
That's just a garbage statement made by Huff. You mean when Earle came off the field he wasn't able to watch the tablets while the defense was on the field. What did the staff hold the information from him and only gave it to Braxton and Cole?

Foresight was used however. We’ll see this season. Mark it down
Cole has been here three years and has failed to beat out every scholarship QB we've had since he arrived. You have absolutely no factual evidence to base your theory on other than the other two are transfers. Which is complete garbage. You think Huff is just going to force his best QB to third string? I'm not a huge fan of Huff, but that is just stupid.

Also yes Cole threw a nice TD pass last week. I was thrilled to see him do that. However he did that late in the 4th quarter against a horrible FCS team with no depth. To say that TD proved anything is foolish. Braxton's two TDs were at least during meaningful snap and I yes one was to a wide open Fitzpatrick, but that was due to an ill timed corner blitz that Braxton picked up.

Cole was statistically one of the worst QBs last season with 6 INTs to 0 TDs.

I'd love for Cole to be our starter, but he has not earned that right. If he were anyone else you wouldn't even care. However his last name is Pennington so you assume he's like his dad.

That's just a garbage statement made by Huff. You mean when Earle came off the field he wasn't able to watch the tablets while the defense was on the field. What did the staff hold the information from him and only gave it to Braxton and Cole?
Huff said they were able to use the hour delay to go over what they were doing….that did give BB and Cole ample time….

That and the second half Stony Brook had nothing left. They were spent and had no depth.

To me, BB looked the best of the 3.

We’ll see this week how they look when the game will definitely be different

Did you even listen to the statement Huff made? Clearly not, as he referenced the tablets. His entire point was that they allegedly didn't show the two coverages they had used the most and that Marshall had expected them to be in. So if most of your reps/game planning are against those two coverages and they aren't being used, it takes two or three series on offense to figure out what they are mostly running and how to adjust. In other words, Stone had to go in a bit blind and make adjustments while the other two QBs could stand on the sidelines and talk to a coach (and at halftime for adjustments) to go over what was being played, how that changes the routes the receivers should run, what the read progression should be, what plays should/shoudn't be called.

Good OCs purposely script their first one to three series with certain formations/plays so they can see how a defense will line up/adjust/defend it. For many OCs, the initial few series will be a feeling out period if they don't have a grasp on what a defense is doing. That also impacts the QB.

Reactions: ru4_mu2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT