RIVALS GoldandBlack.com: Mission imperative: Stop the run

Mike Gwinn

I'd rather be fishing.
Feb 26, 2002
Beckley, WV
Mission imperative: Stop the run
Stacy Clardie

Talk about it inKnucklehead Central

Purdue hasn't built a very good reputation as a stout run defense under Darrell Hazell.

In the last two seasons, the Boilermakers have allowed 18 players to reach 100 yards rushing in a game - that's in 24 games - and have had players hit at least 130 yards 12 times. Last season, five of the last six teams Purdue faced had a back hit 100, and two of four non-conference teams it played did the same.

The Boilermakers claim they'll be better against the run this season because they're more assignment-sound, more fundamentally sound and more physical.

They'll get a chance to prove that immediately...

LINK

Marshall's favorite run play, especially for Johnson, last season was a dive-zone read type play, Hazell said. So the entire defensive game plan will revolve around stopping that particular play in which Marshall offensive linemen have shown an ability to fit onto defenders to allow Johnson space.

********************************************************************************************************************************************

I think some of that play calling was to suit Cato's style of play or audibles into that play by Cato. If they pack the middle to stop that dive, I can see McManus having a good day on the outside.

Reactions: tradebait
Marshall's favorite run play, especially for Johnson, last season was a dive-zone read type play, Hazell said. So the entire defensive game plan will revolve around stopping that particular play in which Marshall offensive linemen have shown an ability to fit onto defenders to allow Johnson space.

********************************************************************************************************************************************

I think some of that play calling was to suit Cato's style of play or audibles into that play by Cato. If they pack the middle to stop that dive, I can see McManus having a good day on the outside.

Play. Action.

Key on the run, boys.....then don't act shocked if Big Bird hangs 300+ yds on you through the air.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT