ADVERTISEMENT

About last night... Georgia Southern edition

RhinoD

Gold Buffalo
Mar 7, 2007
Oh boy... Here WE go!

1. HerdNation with the ASSIST!... We called for the wildcat (half jokingly), we got the wildcat, the wildcat worked all night!
I dont know if Pennington, Parachek, Harrison, whoever, is better but you have to try SOMETHING... Hell, put in an extra lineman, take out the QB all together and lets run the damn wildcat. At least Ali up the middle isn't going to result in negative plays or interceptions.
If we see the Wing-T at any point over the next two games I am sending Spears an email and asking that he match my $2,500 local middle school coaching stipend.

2. Kudos to Huff... At Appalachian it felt like our guys quit in the second half. I openly questioned effort. Last night that was not an issue. Huff and the coaches had them ready to play and they understood the assignment on what is always a special weekend.

3. Special-freaking-teams... Finally, we did something positive on special teams! After being nothing short of awful for 9 games, special teams had a great night and they deserve their flowers too.

4. The QB decision has been made (at least for the rest of this year)... Pennington got better as the game went on, we actually completed two long pass plays, and the offensive guys looked like they were having fun. They were constantly coming over and talking with Cole, they were engaged, and they looked from the sideline like they were playing hard for him. He has to start the last two games and any bowl game should we make one.

5. My one negative from the game... Tell Trickett he's allowed two bubble screens per game, no more. We have to lead the nation in passes thrown behind, or within one yard of, the line of scrimmage. I think last night we had four COMPLETIONS for negative yards. That's a wasted play and with Pennington showing he can throw over the middle, lets do more of that and less flanker screen garbage.

Overall, good win, lets finish strong and get bowl eligible.

5. My one negative from the game... Tell Trickett he's allowed two bubble screens per game, no more. We have to lead the nation in passes thrown behind, or within one yard of, the line of scrimmage. I think last night we had four COMPLETIONS for negative yards. That's a wasted play and with Pennington showing he can throw over the middle, lets do more of that and less flanker screen garbage.

Word on the street is Huff called the plays. Not that he has anymore experience than a Trickett

Oh boy... Here WE go!

1. HerdNation with the ASSIST!... We called for the wildcat (half jokingly), we got the wildcat, the wildcat worked all night!

If we see the Wing-T at any point over the next two games I am sending Spears an email and asking that he match my $2,500 local middle school coaching stipend.

2. Kudos to Huff... At Appalachian it felt like our guys quit in the second half. I openly questioned effort. Last night that was not an issue. Huff and the coaches had them ready to play and they understood the assignment on what is always a special weekend.

3. Special-freaking-teams... Finally, we did something positive on special teams! After being nothing short of awful for 9 games, special teams had a great night and they deserve their flowers too.

4. The QB decision has been made (at least for the rest of this year)... Pennington got better as the game went on, we actually completed two long pass plays, and the offensive guys looked like they were having fun. They were constantly coming over and talking with Cole, they were engaged, and they looked from the sideline like they were playing hard for him. He has to start the last two games and any bowl game should we make one.

Overall, good win, lets finish strong and get
Correction to #4. Those long pass plays were actually short tosses that developed into long yacs. But I'll take them.

If we lose Ali at the end of the season, we are going to have a hard time replacing his production. No way we go with Payne as our number 1 back next year. He is a fine back up but he isn't starter material.
I wonder if they are redshirting Turner, knowing Ali is out of here after this season.
Turner is fast and I thought he showed promise in 2022

Reactions: Jartard
Huff brought in a portal RB I think. But like Turner and others, never saw the field
I have heard that Turner is redshirting, but that was just third-hand from somebody... Payne is fine as a third-down back, short yardage guy. Whether its Turner or a transfer, we need to figure out who our lead back is going to be during the spring.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I have heard that Turner is redshirting, but that was just third-hand from somebody... Payne is fine as a third-down back, short yardage guy. Whether its Turner or a transfer, we need to figure out who our lead back is going to be during the spring.
so what if Turner is redshirting. He can play 4 games at any time of the year and still redshirt.

so what if Turner is redshirting. He can play 4 games at any time of the year and still redshirt.
That's true, but the question you have to ask is does the risk outweigh the reward... If Ali is healthy he is going to get 85 percent of the carries with Payne getting the other handful.

If they were going to playTurner at all it should have been in the stretch where Ali was banged up (JMU, Coastal) and they didn't, so my guess is he won't be on the field at all this season. Unless, god forbid, something serious does happen to Ali in the final 3 games.

If we lose Ali at the end of the season, we are going to have a hard time replacing his production. No way we go with Payne as our number 1 back next year. He is a fine back up but he isn't starter material.
I would agree that Payne isn't a #1 back. He's a pretty good compliment, but he is being used wrong half the time. He's a physical down hill runner and for some reason when we bring him in we decide to run something off tackle where he has to run laterally which he doesn't have the speed to do. That play call absolutely killed that drive.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Sometimes that’s the play call and sometimes you can tell he bounces it on his own because he doesn’t see the hole.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT