ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest decade of music

sistersville

Platinum Buffalo
Mar 17, 2007
Its easy for me, ,The 70's. 60's really shook people up. Beatles and Elvis presley were big or bigger than anyone ever. But the 70's brought hard rock, metal and Punk..Had to endure disco but most of us wore t-shirts that said disco sucks. Some great bands came into the 70's from the 60's. Deep Purple, Cream, Rolling Stones and others. In 78 the year I graduated aerosmith, ac/dc,Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd.lynard skynard, Blackfoot, molly Hatchet, were burning up the radio..Kiss was fun when we were young. It was my wive and My first date. She had seen BILL MONROE once so KISS blew her away. Her and I went and saw well over 100 bands from 78 to 91. Last concert was last year seeing Fleetwood Mac. In 77 we wore out Rumors by fleetwood mac. The 90's were my least favorite. Was not a cobain fan orbthe grundge thing. Alot of great Bluegrass in the last 20 years.Number one for many weeks last year was Book of souls by Iron Maiden. Saw cheap trick as a warm up band and recently inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame. Rush finally made it. HOF SUCKS until your band gets in. I wanna see UFO inducted into the HOF. Reo speedwagon who i have seen 7 times are not in the rock and roll hall of fame..Not elvis but all the black musicians were the first rock stars. It was hard for alot of those cats hearing Elvis was the King of of rock and roll.

The older I get, I am getting more into the early 70s stuff.

Sisters, you should really give Nirvana another chance. Cobain was stupid talented. To this day I really don't know what music style Cobain was deep inside. He wrote this song called "About a Girl" that is so Beatles influenced. Here's the album version, followed by the Unplugged version. It's just a great pop song. I really think had Cobain not blown off his head he would have went in a very different direction when the grunge thing died down.

And then there is "In Bloom", the song Sturgill covered on his last album...the only song on that album Sturgill didn't write. It's really not a grunge song, either, when you just change it up a little.

Reactions: ggmike1992
I like pretty much any type of music, with the following exceptions:

That crazy shit Fever probably listens to when he's taking selfies of his armpits at the gym.

That hard core heavy metal shit that makes me want to put the barrel into my mouth and pull the trigger.

Currently, Ive been listening mostly to channel 70, which is the B.B. King blues station, channel 59, Willies Roadhouse, which plays what Walden is referencing, channel 60, which is the good redneck stuff, and channel 350, which is southern rock, and decent redneck country...it's called red, white, and booze.

The 70s is my music because it's when I grew up. That being said, I really like Walden's Hank Williams and George Jones stuff too.

I like pretty much any type of music, with the following exceptions:

That crazy shit Fever probably listens to when he's taking selfies of his armpits at the gym.

That hard core heavy metal shit that makes me want to put the barrel into my mouth and pull the trigger.

Currently, Ive been listening mostly to channel 70, which is the B.B. King blues station, channel 59, Willies Roadhouse, which plays what Walden is referencing, channel 60, which is the good redneck stuff, and channel 350, which is southern rock, and decent redneck country...it's called red, white, and booze.

I could not live without sat radio in the car. I have a really short commute so I like NPR in the morning to get a quick dose of news, but then all the other times I am driving around I am surfing 18 different XM channels. I am an 80s eccentric at heart so I like the First Wave channel, then the college years are the Lithium channel, I have Willie's and the Outlaw channels locked in, and a bunch of other stuff....I really like the Deep Tracks channel, too.

Pink Floyd, Yes, Allman Brothers, Genesis, Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Who, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Steely Dan, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Stones, Santana, Queen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Uriah Heep, Derek and the Dominos, Fleetwood Mac, Traffic, Kansas, Dire Straits, Chicago, Aerosmith, Eagles, Police, Creedence, Bad Company, Free, Doobie Brothers, ZZ Top, Grand Funk Railroad, Doors, Foghat, Ten Years After, Humble Pie, Joe Walsh, Marshall Tucker Band, James Gang, Rare Earth, Mountain, REO Speedwagon....

This is a small sampling of stuff that I personally listened to. But the 70's would be the best decade if you left all of them off the list except Pink Floyd, Yes, Led Zeppelin, Allman Brothers, Steely Dan, and Dire Straits.

Reactions: sistersville
Pink Floyd, Yes, Allman Brothers, Genesis, Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Who, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Steely Dan, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Stones, Santana, Queen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Uriah Heep, Derek and the Dominos, Fleetwood Mac, Traffic, Kansas, Dire Straits, Chicago, Aerosmith, Eagles, Police, Creedence, Bad Company, Free, Doobie Brothers, ZZ Top, Grand Funk Railroad, Doors, Foghat, Ten Years After, Humble Pie, Joe Walsh, Marshall Tucker Band, James Gang, Rare Earth, Mountain, REO Speedwagon....

This is a small sampling of stuff that I personally listened to. But the 70's would be the best decade if you left all of them off the list except Pink Floyd, Yes, Led Zeppelin, Allman Brothers, Steely Dan, and Dire Straits.

You put Young with CS&N...that's what I'm talking about.

But yeah I would say 1965-1975, great music before Disco jumped off.

Then I would say the 90s also. Rap and R&B haven't been the same since.

You put Young with CS&N...that's what I'm talking about.

It grieved me that I couldn't include Hendrix in my list. While his music was certainly listened to a lot in the 70s, I attempted to list only those still alive and active.

NPR? That explains a lot

It explains my local NPR has a few minutes of local news at the exact same time I drive to work. If I listened to AM news I would hear nothing but ads for Genesis Diamonds and this loud mouth used car dealer that has a zillion ads on our local terrestrial radio. I do like the old Car Talk (best radio show ever) episodes on Saturday morning.

My radio stays on 89.1 Fm. Npr. I am getting a nirvana cd made by my daughter. She read what you said RAOUL and said. I TOLD U SO

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
The older I get, I am getting more into the early 70s stuff.

Sisters, you should really give Nirvana another chance. Cobain was stupid talented. To this day I really don't know what music style Cobain was deep inside. He wrote this song called "About a Girl" that is so Beatles influenced. Here's the album version, followed by the Unplugged version. It's just a great pop song. I really think had Cobain not blown off his head he would have went in a very different direction when the grunge thing died down.

And then there is "In Bloom", the song Sturgill covered on his last album...the only song on that album Sturgill didn't write. It's really not a grunge song, either, when you just change it up a little.
Solid Raoul. After the 70's the grunge movement in the early 90's is my 2nd favorite.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT