ADVERTISEMENT

Haiti: I know you won't..,

GK4Herd

Aug 5, 2001
Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
It is still a shithole..:) honestly, regardless of their history and what happened it is a shithole. Sounds bad and harsh but it is what it is.

As someone who has been to Haiti I want to say this.The living conditions on the ground make It a very challenging place to live and one of the most difficult on the planet.I was there with a few guys who have traveled the world and that was their description. I have never seen the level of poverty and pain in one place as I observed there and I have been to the Third world before.- it truly is "4th world". I can tell you I have never been so moved in my life as I was during my time there. I was on a humanitarian visit with a church related group called. Convoy of Hope. I did not know the entire history of this nation but will tell you that while I was there the UN soldiers were there and they had a terrible reputation with the locals.The people would swarm the vehicle I was in and beg for money when they realized we were from the USA. I found the people there to be hardworking and genuinely wonderful people. Many NGO groups have come into the country and are sharing technology with the people and it is making a difference.In the meantime the people there are becoming increasingly more christian as the children are being fed and schooled by church based groups. I really see a day when Haiti will be a much better off nation than it now is.

Last edited:
As someone who has been to Haiti I want to say this.The living conditions on the ground make It a very challenging place to live and one of the most difficult on the planet.I was there with a few guys who have traveled the world and that was there description. I have never seen the level of poverty and pain in one place as I observed there and I have been to the Third world before.- it truly is "4th world". I can tell you I have never been so moved in my life as I was during my time there. I was on a humanitarian visit with a church related group called. Convoy of Hope. I did not know the entire history of this nation but will tell you that while I was there the UN soldiers were there and they had a terrible reputation with the locals.The people would swarm the vehicle I was in and beg for money when they realized we were from the USA. I found the people there to be hardworking and genuinely wonderful people. Many NGO groups have come into the country and are sharing technology with the people and it is making a difference.In the meantime the people there are becoming increasingly more christian as the children are being fed and schooled by church based groups. I really see a day when Haiti will be a much better off nation than it now is.

Everyone hopes so. Seriously, I joke about shit holes and that sometimes is a fitting description. But, Haiti is beyond poor. Never been to Haiti, but know some guys that went after the earthquake and they said the same thing, 4th world.

It is still a shithole..:) honestly, regardless of their history and what happened it is a shithole. Sounds bad and harsh but it is what it is.

Nobody is arguing that it's not herdman. The argument is, given Haiti's history of enslavement, occupation, and abuse, whether the president of the United States should resort to such classless remarks. The coast of Louisiana was a shithole after several hurricanes hit the area. Should Trump say..."Why should I be sending aid to that shithole place?" I mean...by your reasoning it's fine because it would be a shithole place. It is what it is, right?

Haiti was a nation of African slaves sent there by France to exploit the sugar and coffee the island produced. It was the world's largest supplier of these resources. The slaves revolted and won their freedom by defeating Napoleon's military...probably the strongest in the world at the time. But it was forced to pay a settlement for that freedom to France(150 million francs) whose payment kept Haiti in a state of unstableness and poverty. The country became a revolving door of occupation for resource exploitations by Spain, Germany, France, and the United States.

The United States actually came in and took all of the gold from Haitian National Bank in 1914 and transferred it to a bank in New York (presently Citibank) where it remained. The US feared that the increase in German investments in Haiti was going to squeeze out US investments so they used the Monroe Document as justification for their intervention.

So because this country has been mired in poverty as a result of occupation and forced slavery for the exploitation of their resources its become a shithole. So now, the leader of one of the very nations whose business interest (along with many other nations) contributed to where this country is today, you really think its cool to call them out as a shithole?

As someone who has been to Haiti I want to say this.The living conditions on the ground make It a very challenging place to live and one of the most difficult on the planet.I was there with a few guys who have traveled the world and that was their description. I have never seen the level of poverty and pain in one place as I observed there and I have been to the Third world before.- it truly is "4th world". I can tell you I have never been so moved in my life as I was during my time there. I was on a humanitarian visit with a church related group called. Convoy of Hope. I did not know the entire history of this nation but will tell you that while I was there the UN soldiers were there and they had a terrible reputation with the locals.The people would swarm the vehicle I was in and beg for money when they realized we were from the USA. I found the people there to be hardworking and genuinely wonderful people. Many NGO groups have come into the country and are sharing technology with the people and it is making a difference.In the meantime the people there are becoming increasingly more christian as the children are being fed and schooled by church based groups. I really see a day when Haiti will be a much better off nation than it now is.

I recently spent a day on the other country of that island...Dominican Republic. I didn't get to experience it like you did in Haiti due to the limited time, but I can tell you it is one of the poorest places I've seen. I would imagine it's like Beverly Hills compared to Haiti though.

Reactions: ohio herd
Everyone hopes so. Seriously, I joke about shit holes and that sometimes is a fitting description. But, Haiti is beyond poor. Never been to Haiti, but know some guys that went after the earthquake and they said the same thing, 4th world.

Do I detect a softening around the edges of herdman? I'm not sure I like it. Now get back to that Archie persona.

Nobody is arguing that it's not herdman. The argument is, given Haiti's history of enslavement, occupation, and abuse, whether the president of the United States should resort to such classless remarks. The coast of Louisiana was a shithole after several hurricanes hit the area. Should Trump say..."Why should I be sending aid to that shithole place?" I mean...by your reasoning it's fine because it would be a shithole place. It is what it is, right?

Haiti was a nation of African slaves sent there by France to exploit the sugar and coffee the island produced. It was the world's largest supplier of these resources. The slaves revolted and won their freedom by defeating Napoleon's military...probably the strongest in the world at the time. But it was forced to pay a settlement for that freedom to France(150 million francs) whose payment kept Haiti in a state of unstableness and poverty. The country became a revolving door of occupation for resource exploitations by Spain, Germany, France, and the United States.

The United States actually came in and took all of the gold from Haitian National Bank in 1914 and transferred it to a bank in New York (presently Citibank) where it remained. The US feared that the increase in German investments in Haiti was going to squeeze out US investments so they used the Monroe Document as justification for their intervention.

So because this country has been mired in poverty as a result of occupation and forced slavery for the exploitation of their resources its become a shithole. So now, the leader of one of the very nations whose business interest (along with many other nations) contributed to where this country is today, you really think its cool to call them out as a shithole?
Except he didn’t say not to send aid. He was saying we don’t need to take ever Tom
Dick and Harry from Haiti. It was crass and unbecoming of a president to make public remarks like that.

I find you Louisiana analogy severely lazy on your part. For the simple reason being one is a part of the United States and the other isn’t. You can’t compare the two situations at all.

1)What Trump said(allegedly) was behind closed doors. Can you imagine if we heard everything Presidents said behind closed doors? Or any leader for that matter?

2)There is a on going and heated debate over immigration policy in this country. The conversations are going to get heated, especially with lawmakers behind closed doors.

3)The comparison between Louisiana and Haiti is not valid considering Louisiana is a state of this nation and Haiti is not.

4)Is it tactful to call Haiti a shit hole. Probably not. But, it was in private and during a heated conversation.

5) The USA is not totally to blame for Haiti's problems.

In the meantime the people there are becoming increasingly more christian as the children are being fed and schooled by church based groups. I really see a day when Haiti will be a much better off nation than it now is.

This is disgusting and makes you a despicable person.

You're going into a country and attempting to change their beliefs, customs, and religions under the pretense of providing them with the most basic necessities they need to survive (food and shelter). You preach your religion to them and make it appear that your success (to them means simply plentiful food and a roof) is a result of your religious beliefs. It is entirely bullshit.

You want to be a good person? Do something out of the goodness of your heart to help these people. Provide what they need while not trying to convert them to your religion.

Compare what you're doing to something in America. Your children, as a form of necessity, would need an education growing up and want food/toys. Assume you couldn't provide that stuff for them. But there was a group willing to help give them an education, hot meals, and toys. At the same time, that group would do it only if they were allowed to preach to them about whatever religion they were (Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, etc.).

How would you feel about sending your children to this school (which provided them with an education, meals, toys that you couldn't provide) knowing they were converting them to Islam? You'd be grateful for their "help," but you'd shun it knowing the real reason they were doing it.

Do I detect a softening around the edges of herdman? I'm not sure I like it. Now get back to that Archie persona.

GK, I do have soft spots. I have been to a "shit hole" where kids begged for food and mothers stood outside a fence begging while we ate and had water. Saw kids fighting animals in a dump for food. Kids drinking from old cleaned out oil cans filled with water. I am human. Drove by them everyday as they ran to the roads begging for food or candy or whatever you could throw at them, but we were not allowed.

First, that makes me very happy and blessed to be living here . That being said, the reality is we can't take everyone and there is a problem. Again, Trump probably should not have said it but they were were debating the problem behind closed doors and word got out.

You're going into a country and attempting to change their beliefs, customs, and religions under the pretense of providing them with the most basic necessities they need to survive (food and shelter). You preach your religion to them and make it appear that your success (to them means simply plentiful food and a roof) is a result of your religious beliefs. It is entirely bullshit.

You want to be a good person? Do something out of the goodness of your heart to help these people. Provide what they need while not trying to convert them to your religion.

Compare what you're doing to something in America. Your children, as a form of necessity, would need an education growing up and want food/toys. Assume you couldn't provide that stuff for them. But there was a group willing to help give them an education, hot meals, and toys. At the same time, that group would do it only if they were allowed to preach to them about whatever religion they were (Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, etc.).

How would you feel about sending your children to this school (which provided them with an education, meals, toys that you couldn't provide) knowing they were converting them to Islam? You'd be grateful for their "help," but you'd shun it knowing the real reason they were doing it.

I think if you were in that situation, you would just be happy to eat.

Second, the churches do a fantastic job in these places. They provide food, clothing, medicine, etc. It would be even worse without them.

It is a duty and privilege for Christians to tell people about Jesus. Giving people the necessities for life while doing so is also a good thing. No one is forcing them to convert. Matter of fact no one can be converted by force, it's impossible. Finally, if I couldn't provide for my children I'd be relieved that any religious group would feed and clothe them, I can teach them another religion at home if I choose.

Except he didn’t say not to send aid. He was saying we don’t need to take ever Tom
Dick and Harry from Haiti. It was crass and unbecoming of a president to make public remarks like that.

I find you Louisiana analogy severely lazy on your part. For the simple reason being one is a part of the United States and the other isn’t. You can’t compare the two situations at all.

Maybe on the analogy. I'll give you that. But since this issue has come up I've spent literally hours reading about the history of Haiti in order to be better informed. Trust me...that ain't lazy. But what might be considered lazy is your picking the low hanging fruit for criticism and ignoring everything else I posted.

Let’s send Betsy Devos in to educate the children.

I think if you were in that situation, you would just be happy to eat.

Second, the churches do a fantastic job in these places. They provide food, clothing, medicine, etc. It would be even worse without them.

And that is exactly my point! You are taking people who are begging for the most basic of survival necessities and manipulating their situation to convert their culture into what you want them to be. It is despicable.

If these religious missions truly cared about helping people survive and better their lives, see how many would continue going to a place that banned them from talking about their religion. Exactly.

They aren't there to help people. They are there to mold more people into who they want them to be.

And that is exactly my point! You are taking people who are begging for the most basic of survival necessities and manipulating their situation to convert their culture into what you want them to be. It is despicable.

If these religious missions truly cared about helping people survive and better their lives, see how many would continue going to a place that banned them from talking about their religion. Exactly.

They aren't there to help people. They are there to mold more people into who they want them to be.

Tell that to a poor starving kid or a mother who can't feed her baby or has a kid that has scarlet fever.

I am not sure where you are going with this. It doesn't make sense. Most of us here might no be Catholic but we are thankful for St Mary's hospital in Huntington.

Feeding kids and giving them clothes and talking about Jesus is not a bad thing. I think most of them do care about helping people. I bet the locals appreciate it as well.

meanwhile I don't recall seeing any Atheist feeding or providing care of any kind to the children. For the record, nobody is being forced to convert to Christianity to receive help from the group I am connected to or the other faith based groups I am aware of.If helping people makes me a bad person so be it.

Tell that to a poor starving kid or a mother who can't feed her baby or has a kid that has scarlet fever.

Again, that's the fvcking point! These missionaries are manipulating the weakest among us in order to take advantage of their situation and get something they want out of it.

Am I a saint if I give a starving Haitian woman a sandwich in exchange for a BJ? No, I am a dirtball who is fulfilling her basic needs not out of the goodness of my heart, but because I am able to get something that I want out of it. Likewise, these missionaries would immediately cease helping those in need on these missions if they were barred from discussing religion with them. They aren't helping people out of the goodness of their heart. They are doing it to further their agenda.

I am not sure where you are going with this. It doesn't make sense. Most of us here might no be Catholic but we are thankful for St Mary's hospital in Huntington.

Apples vs. dump trucks.

The hospital doesn't provide help to those in need as long as they are able to push their religion on them. The same can't be said for missionaries.

meanwhile I don't recall seeing any Atheist feeding or providing care of any kind to the children. For the record, nobody is being forced to convert to Christianity to receive help from the group I am connected to or the other faith based groups I am aware of.If helping people makes me a bad person so be it.

Atheists don't share a common belief like followers of religions do. As a result, atheists work as individuals. And there are plenty of well known atheists who spend millions of dollars and give countless hours helping those in need.

They aren't "forced to convert," but you manipulate their situation to try and get them to. Stop being a bullshitter; if your group was barred from discussing religion to any of those you help, you wouldn't go there anymore. Admit that.

Last edited:
The hospital doesn't provide help to those in need as long as they are able to push their religion on them.

Explain to us how missionaries "push" their religion on someone. Do they say you can only have this food and shelter if you listen to us talk about Jesus? Do they make the natives go to church on Sundays? What exactly are the needy required to do to receive help?

And yes, by your definition of manipulation, if you are in St. Marys hospital around 8 or 9 p.m. every night, you hear a Christian prayer over the intercom.

Again, that's the fvcking point! These missionaries are manipulating the weakest among us in order to take advantage of their situation and get something they want out of it.

Am I a saint if I give a starving Haitian woman a sandwich in exchange for a BJ? No, I am a dirtball who is fulfilling her basic needs not out of the goodness of my heart, but because I am able to get something that I want out of it. Likewise, these missionaries would immediately cease helping those in need on these missions if they were barred from discussing religion with them. They aren't helping people out of the goodness of their heart. They are doing it to further their agenda.

Apples vs. dump trucks.

The hospital doesn't provide help to those in need as long as they are able to push their religion on them. The same can't be said for missionaries.

What planet do you live on? I have never seen nor heard of a missionary that says in order to get food or clothing you have to hear or accept Christ.

Atheists don't share a common belief like followers of religions do. As a result, atheists work as individuals. And there are plenty of well known atheists who spend millions of dollars and give countless hours helping those in need.

They aren't "forced to convert," but you manipulate their situation to try and get them to. Stop being a bullshitter; if your group was barred from discussion religion to any of those you help, you wouldn't go there anymore. Admit that.

You just said the atheist do those things so how do you know he wouldn't?

Explain to us how missionaries "push" their religion on someone. Do they say you can only have this food and shelter if you listen to us talk about Jesus? Do they make the natives go to church on Sundays? What exactly are the needy required to do to receive help?

Let me dumb this down for you:

As I have mentioned for 15 years on here, religion is for the weak-minded. It is for those desperate and needing hope. When missionaries travel, they don't go and try to convert the wealthy or middle-class. They go for the easy pickin' type: those who are desperate and need hope. Those people also tend to be the least educated and least experienced.

Now, here comes Cracker McCrackerman, his three sons, and Mrs. Cracker McCrackerman. They show and tell the natives about their lifestyle back home. They routinely "thank god" for everything he has blessed them with. "If you allow god to work his miracles, pray to him, and act the life that he wants you to live, he will bless you with a good life."

Well, shit. If I live in a shithole and don't have a pot to piss in, why would I not listen to the wealthy Crackermans. After all, they are wealthy enough to have a car AND a sticker of a fish on the back of it. Clearly, they know what they are talking about because they are much better off than I am. They tell me that all of their "blessings" are a result of the loving god they follow, and I can also be blessed if I put all of my faith into their god.

Of course, they are saying these things while building them a school that conveniently has a cross on top of it and doubles as a church twice a week.

It is entirely manipulation. Now, since the other guy won't answer my repeated question, how about you: if the missionaries were barred from discussing religion on their trips, would they continue to go there and give them food, education, build schools, etc. or would they find somewhere else to go? We both know the answer to that question. It entirely proves my point.

What planet do you live on? I have never seen nor heard of a missionary that says in order to get food or clothing you have to hear or accept Christ.

Of course they aren't that blatant about it. I never said that is what they did, straw-man.

You just said the atheist do those things so how do you know he wouldn't?

Because they don't! Natives have stood up to the missionaries before when they didn't want their children having a new religion pushed on them. Those missionaries don't go back. It's not a frequent event because most people in that severe of a situation will do whatever it takes to get basic necessities.

When missionaries travel, they don't go and try to convert the wealthy or middle-class. They go for the easy pickin' type: those who are desperate and need hope. Those people also tend to be the least educated and least experienced.

Same thing Jesus did.

They routinely "thank god" for everything he has blessed them with

As they should.

"If you allow god to work his miracles, pray to him, and act the life that he wants you to live, he will bless you with a good life."

If they're insinuating that that "good life" is material things, they don't know the truth or are lying.

If I live in a shithole and don't have a pot to piss in, why would I not listen to the wealthy Crackermans.

People live in places like that both in impoverished countries and in this country. They believe it for the truth, or they don't. Same everywhere. If everyone that was poor could be "tricked" by people like Mr. and Mrs. Crackerman, all the poor would be Christians...or something. But they're not.

Of course, they are saying these things while building them a school that conveniently has a cross on top of it and doubles as a church twice a week.

That's terrible. :rolleyes:

if the missionaries were barred from discussing religion on their trips, would they continue to go there and give them food, education, build schools, etc. or would they find somewhere else to go?

I can't speak for all of them, but I'm as satisfied as I can be that some of them most certainly would. Prove me wrong......

or maybe you can dumb it down further.

This is one of those rare threads where my friend, herdman and Greed are almost on the same side. Gives me hope that one day in the near future, the Red Wings will be back to playing championship style hockey.

They aren't "forced to convert," but you manipulate their situation to try and get them to. Stop being a bullshitter; if your group was barred from discussion religion to any of those you help, you wouldn't go there anymore. Admit that.

Except that there are missionaries at work right now as you read this in countries where it is illegal to proselytize.

Except that there are missionaries at work right now as you read this in countries where it is illegal to proselytize.

I guess they didn't read Romans.

The fact remains that the overwhelming majority of missionaries would not go assist poor countries with basic necessities if they were barred from talking about religion.

That shows exactly what their priorities are for the mission work.

Oh really. I am in the local Kiwanis club in my city. We raise money to help local charities. So if I do a good deed in a secular environment you can agree that I might do that out of the goodness of my heart( my club has Christians and Atheists in it and we get along well).Do we require the kids in the local HS to join Key Clubs or we cease to help raise money to buy new uniforms for the HS band? Of course not.Of course we hope that exposing teens to Kiwanis or Rotary etc may lead them to join our clubs later in life. So, If I do a good deed in a religious organization I do it only because I am a religious zealot and only care about converting them to my faith. Do I hope they will convert, yes, but my help in feeding them is because I care about starving kids and I certainly don't withhold food or clothing unless they believe the way I believe. I have been there and put my time talent and treasure on the line. how bout you? Asking for a friend.....

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT