ADVERTISEMENT

Hamrick Done

Bottom line. Coach Huff will not be here after his contract is up. We are about to see success like never before with Huff. Then some big money University will buy his contract out.
Given his propensity to jump from job to job, I agree that he won't be here long. Regardless of the circumstances.

Doc suppsedly had big success and no one came calling. Wonder why?
Doc was an average coach, and he tried to get interest from other schools but could not.

The program was flat and needed a change. Perfect time with Docs contract being up.

I will say he did not leave the cupboard bare and that’s why you hire coaches that can recruit

bottom line, Hamrick did not make a bad hire but you also have to know when it’s time

Given his propensity to jump from job to job, I agree that he won't be here long. Regardless of the circumstances.
Marshall Jeff - are you aware of any highly successful assistant coach who began his coaching career right out of college, stayed with the same school for umpteen years and then became the head coach of a different school? It may exist in coaching history, but most on here would agree that the normal progression of a head coach shows that he worked for multiple schools at different positions to build up his resume' before being hired as the head coach for a Div I school. So I don't get knocking him for "jumping" around from one school to the next.

Marshall Jeff - are you aware of any highly successful assistant coach who began his coaching career right out of college, stayed with the same school for umpteen years and then became the head coach of a different school? It may exist in coaching history, but most on here would agree that the normal progression of a head coach shows that he worked for multiple schools at different positions to build up his resume' before being hired as the head coach for a Div I school. So I don't get knocking him for "jumping" around from one school to the next.
George Welsh Dick Anderson off the top of my head, I'll find some more

I long for the days when a coach stayed with a program long enough that you associated the coach with the school. Bowden with Florida State, Hayes with Ohio, Royal with Texas, Beamer with VaTech. I’m sure you can name others.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Huff will be here at least 4-5 years. P5 will want to see documented success, continued success recruiting. One or two good years in CUSA won't move the needle for the high P 5 gigs. jmho

Huff will be here at least 4-5 years. P5 will want to see documented success, continued success recruiting. One or two good years in CUSA won't move the needle for the high P 5 gigs. jmho
Hahaha no they don't. They just want competency and that can be as early as 1 year, especially if the HC wants out. The P5 money is so abundant they can afford to toss it around without much of a need of proof for success.

This and the fact Hamrick backed the wrong horse in the football coaching search twice. Doc and Lambert.
To be fair, Hamrick's biggest complain from fans when he hired Doc was his non-existent HC experience. Lambert at least had that and was a popular choice from many of the players via social media when the HC position became vacant.

Reactions: 19MU88
Western Kentucky begs to differ.

To be fair, Hamrick's biggest complain from fans when he hired Doc was his non-existent HC experience. Lambert at least had that and was a popular choice from many of the players via social media when the HC position became vacant.
Being Head coach of a nascent CUSA football program, while certainly "experience", w/o much success in the W-L column is hardly what I would consider a positive.....

Being Head coach of a nascent CUSA football program, while certainly "experience", w/o much success in the W-L column is hardly what I would consider a positive.....
Really? Cause the way the fans talk about Charlotte the week before the games would make it sound like MU was playing Bama.
Again, Hamrick was just trying not to do what you all were critical of him doing prior.

Really? Cause the way the fans talk about Charlotte the week before the games would make it sound like MU was playing Bama.
Again, Hamrick was just trying not to do what you all were critical of him doing prior.
Charlotte has only become a thorn in our side due to Doc's incompetence. I would expect that will end starting this season....

According to some on here doc holiday would fit that mold

Western Kentucky begs to differ.
Brohm had a meteoric rise and dominated for a few years. Purdue was in the dumps and needed something, anything. Brohm has had marginal success there but I wouldn't say thats a destination P5 job like Huff would consider. JMHO

Hahaha no they don't. They just want competency and that can be as early as 1 year, especially if the HC wants out. The P5 money is so abundant they can afford to toss it around without much of a need of proof for success.
I said high P5. I don't see Huff settling for a Vandy, Purdue or Kansas type job. Those are dead ends.

I said high P5. I don't see Huff settling for a Vandy, Purdue or Kansas type job. Those are dead ends.
It’s all about the Benjamin’s when it comes to a P5 job. I think very few people would turn down $4 million(Brohm’s salary) or so per year to stay in Huntington.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
It’s all about the Benjamin’s when it comes to a P5 job. I think very few people would turn down $4 million(Brohm’s salary) or so per year to stay in Huntington.
True. I just think Huff has his sites set higher. Hey, if he leaves in 2-3 years, that means he's done very well. Good for us.

Reactions: Jartard
So you would take Lambert over Huff? Hamrick wanted to take Lambert.

Reactions: mlblack16.
So you would take Lambert over Huff? Hamrick wanted to take Lambert.
One the sole reason that fans hated Doc for not being a HC and the players wanted him? Probably. If he tanked, hire someone else.
We don't know how Huff'll do...if he went 8-4 and no CUSA title and bolted for a P5 school, would everyone have said he was a great hire?

One the sole reason that fans hated Doc for not being a HC and the players wanted him? Probably. If he tanked, hire someone else.
We don't know how Huff'll do...if he went 8-4 and no CUSA title and bolted for a P5 school, would everyone have said he was a great hire?
The program needed a new car smell. Something fresh and new was needed. If Doc was really that good he would have had opportunities to leave.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Your definition of "very well" isn't the same as the P5's.
What's your definition? Look, Huff will leave when he leaves. If that means he wins the league each year in his first two years, is COTY both years and is hired away, that's cool. Good for him and us. I just don't think a big P5 program will look at him after 2 years and say, he's got it, let's offer him a 4Mil a year contract over 4 years. Sadly, they'll see he beat CLT and ODU, and keep looking for a while. JMHO

Doc supposedly had great success accroding to you and Sam but he was never hired away. Wonder why? He threw his name into the Pitt search, they didn't come calling.

What's your definition? Look, Huff will leave when he leaves. If that means he wins the league each year in his first two years, is COTY both years and is hired away, that's cool. Good for him and us. I just don't think a big P5 program will look at him after 2 years and say, he's got it, let's offer him a 4Mil a year contract over 4 years. Sadly, they'll see he beat CLT and ODU, and keep looking for a while. JMHO
9 wins is enough to get looks for anyone and enough to get out if they want. Perhaps all this social media presence is also part of what he'll pitch to a P5 after a 9 win season (and possibly no CUSA title), that he can energize a fanbase...and lots of pitiful P5's would want that.

Doc supposedly had great success accroding to you and Sam but he was never hired away. Wonder why? He threw his name into the Pitt search, they didn't come calling.
I don't think he wanted to leave.
Its funny that a HC can actually have loyalty to "poor ole MU" and be ridiculed for it.
Door swings both ways, to be hired, you have to want to leave. I believe Doc felt he would end his coaching career here (unless an insane opportunity came up). We don't know how often he was called. He may have told them, "thanks but no thanks."
Its as though loyalty in the eyes of MU fans is a bad thing, when they think disloyalty is a good thing since they measure P5's hiring their coaches as some measurement of success and how quickly they leave.

9 wins is enough to get looks for anyone and enough to get out if they want. Perhaps all this social media presence is also part of what he'll pitch to a P5 after a 9 win season (and possibly no CUSA title), that he can energize a fanbase...and lots of pitiful P5's would want that.
9 wins and no title may give him a look at Vandy or Knasas, but the upper echelon of P5 will not give him a sniff. They didn't give Doc a sniff, why Huff? I don't think Huff would take just any P5 job, especially a lower echelon P5 - that's a career killer.

Its funny that a HC can actually have loyalty to "poor ole MU" and be ridiculed for it.
Door swings both ways, to be hired, you have to want to leave. I believe Doc felt he would end his coaching career here (unless an insane opportunity came up). We don't know how often he was called. He may have told them, "thanks but no thanks."
Its as though loyalty in the eyes of MU fans is a bad thing, when they think disloyalty is a good thing since they measure P5's hiring their coaches as some measurement of success and how quickly they leave.
I appreciate loyalty, but either Doc was too comfortable here or no one wanted him. Especially after 2014, that was the height of his career - he should have been on many schools radar but wasn't.

9 wins and no title may give him a look at Vandy or Knasas, but the upper echelon of P5 will not give him a sniff. They didn't give Doc a sniff, why Huff? I don't think Huff would take just any P5 job, especially a lower echelon P5 - that's a career killer.
Because Doc is considerably older than Huff and liked WV enough to stay?
Yeah, and winning 9 games at Vandy will put him on the map for larger P5's.
Do you know how this works? Very few G5's get hired to premiere P5's right away. Many build up in the lower ranks. Thats why he's here and that's why he would take a Vandy HC position.
Unless he goes unbeaten and MU is in the NY6, he's not going to get an upper echelon of P5 offer.

I appreciate loyalty, but either Doc was too comfortable here or no one wanted him. Especially after 2014, that was the height of his career - he should have been on many schools radar but wasn't.
Same for Dan. The NCAA win should've put him on the map and he should've been hired.

Oh wait...gosh darn bless his heart, he loves MU and his job so much he probably just wants to stay.

Same for Dan. The NCAA win should've put him on the map and he should've been hired.

Oh wait...gosh darn bless his heart, he loves MU and his job so much he probably just wants to stay.
Yep. But why bring up Dan? I am not a football vs. b'ball guy. I get your point though.
Truth is, you nor I, or anyone else knows what's gonna happen with Huff. He could be great, he could fail miserably, or he could be a long tenured guy who can't quite get over the hump. I hope for the best and like what he's said so far.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Because Doc is considerably older than Huff and liked WV enough to stay?
Yeah, and winning 9 games at Vandy will put him on the map for larger P5's.
Do you know how this works? Very few G5's get hired to premiere P5's right away. Many build up in the lower ranks. Thats why he's here and that's why he would take a Vandy HC position.
Unless he goes unbeaten and MU is in the NY6, he's not going to get an upper echelon of P5 offer.
You are assuming a lot there cowboy. Getting way ahead of yourself. You already have him leaving Marshall, coaching at Vandy and moving on to P5. LOL! Let's see what happens and hope for the best. You totally missed my point, but that's Ok.

It wasn't a knock, just an observation. I believe if he wins hes gone quickly. I also believe if he loses hes gone quickly.

He wanted the Pitt job bad several yrs ago and didn’t get an interview

He wanted the Pitt job bad several yrs ago and didn’t get an interview

No he didn't......Where do you all get this stuff?

You're saying that because it was reported and that alone is the only reason you're saying that.

You are assuming a lot there cowboy. Getting way ahead of yourself. You already have him leaving Marshall, coaching at Vandy and moving on to P5. LOL! Let's see what happens and hope for the best. You totally missed my point, but that's Ok.
You also, are ahead of yourself thinking he'll stay at MU for only a top tier P5 job.
ANY P5 HC job is a promotion from the G5. Including Kansas.

I'm also stating that based on what several G5 HC's do. They start at the G5 and move up to lesser P5's, then some, move even further up the ladder.

Yep. But why bring up Dan? I am not a football vs. b'ball guy. I get your point though.
Truth is, you nor I, or anyone else knows what's gonna happen with Huff. He could be great, he could fail miserably, or he could be a long tenured guy who can't quite get over the hump. I hope for the best and like what he's said so far.
Because one is seen as being loyal and caring about MU and the sport he's in. The other is seen as being unable to land a better job and underachieving.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT