ADVERTISEMENT

Happy New Year! So new Gov coming soon....Should Jim Justice get Marshall WVu Series started again?

TheGreenhouseEffect

Silver Buffalo
Aug 17, 2012
SilverCometTrail
Let's look at the positives.
- Neither school if I am correct has sold out more than twice since the last series. The game IS a
sellout.
- Travel costs are minimal.
- Revenues are maximized.
- Keeps much needed money IN a state that needs much needed revenue.
- Local law enforcement gets a bonus in their checks, local businesses get a bonus from added
customers.
- Players from WV can say they played in the in state rivalry game and get shot at the other school.
- it could morph into a great Thanksgiving rivalry game for TV.
- it is a pretty decent TV game regardless
- Marshall gets a home P5 that has good intrigue.
- WVU gets a home G5 that has intrigue instead of Youngstown state.
- Marshall can add another 20.00 per ticket fee and still give WVU a million dollar payout.
- WVU can do the same give Marshall a million dollar payout and also keep a nice dime.
- If the state did it "right" doing it over bridge day weekend could become a major event. Moving
bridge day to Friday the day before the game and creating an October classic with leaves changing
that is a good tourist attraction. Or keep it Labor Day weekend and add the travel events you see
below.
- a charter train trip taking you through the mountains to each home team and likewise a charter
Ohio river party boat trip dropping you at Huntington or
Paden city and then coming across the upper state to the game could be a great sell and travel
revenue creator during the states fall spectacular foilage time.

Bottom line it's all about money and this game is a money generator in a state that needs to take care of its own instead of listening to a buckeye AD that wanted to insult the opposing school while moving his career forward and seeing if the state would "buy it".

Negatives:

WVu could lose, this would crush them and their fan base, it's a risk they would have to take and sooner or later IT would happen.

If Marshall played WVu this year they could have scored 150 points on this pathetic self serving narcissistic team, it's a risk we would have to take too. An Embarssment you'd face each and every day for a year at work if your a Marshall fan. And in time it could happen, with limited resources it's a risk we would have to face.

Alright let's here it!

I don't know why I'm getting into this with you but:

1. According to attendance figures WVU had three sell outs in 2014 alone and some since then.

2. Marshall doesn't need WVU. You seem to be the only person on the planet that thinks otherwise.

3. WVU doesn't need Marshall. You seem to be the only person on the planet that thinks otherwise.

4. How does "more money" come into the state if both schools can schedule home games on the same weekend, instead?

5. Scheduling the game in the middle of both schools' conference schedules?

6. Moving Bridge Day to a week day?

7. Train rides?

8. Ohio River party boat trips involving Paden City?

Here's a better idea - don't play the game unless both schools want to. Until then each can do what they deem best for their respective universities.

Last edited:
I agree with part of Greenhouse regarding playing WVU. Narrow minded selfish people/fans on both sides are preventing what should be an annual game between this states only two D-1 programs. Personally I would like to see Governor Justice do as Kentucky did - flat out tell UK and UL they play every year in all sports period. End this ongoing yes we should/no we shouldn't argument and let the players for the two teams show us the outcome.

Let's not get started with those SOB's again.

Might want to leave it alone until we get our two major programs above water , they only went 10/3 in football this season and the hoopters are currently 12-1 ranked # 7 in the nation.

Marshall has more to do at this time than to try to get any sports events scheduled with WVU

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Hell No! Absolutely not, why would we play them again? We haven't beaten them for one, two we would get a serious beat down!

I would love to have played WVU in 13, 14, or 15. I would have hated to play them in 16.

As someone who thinks WVU is basically and actually afraid of losing to us... no, I don't think Jim Justice should have any conversations about this at all. If it happens one day, fantastic. If it never happens again... oh well. Marshall needs to worry about so many other things, and we've done a great job of beginning to establish some quality OOC opponents. Whatever WVU does or doesn't do is of basically zero concern to me. The path to national prominence does not go through or near Morgantown.

abae6.jpg

Under the Hamrick-Holliday "leadership" it is very apparent that MU has more than enough on its plate trying to become competitive with the Western Kentuckys of the world, much less worrying about the Neers!!!!!

Reactions: MARSHALL77
Jim Justice is not a "new" governor. He is a puppet for the Goodwin-Rockefailure-Manchin Machine. He has less to say about what goes on in WV than you do.

WV has been run into the ground by, one, the federal government, and, two, the Goodwin-Rockefailure-Manchin Machine. The state has 10000 issues to solve, some of them insolvable.

As it relates to higher education, the state higher ed system has 1000 issues, first among these being the massive subsidy of WVU's majority out-of-state students tuition by WV taxpayers, these students, of course, going back where they came from and never contributing a thing to the state. If anything, Justice should solve that. Of course, he will not, because the Machine likes it just like it is. Imagine a WV with a higher ed system as good as most states and how great it would be. But no, we educate New Jersites. How does that make any sense to anyone?

Jim Justice is not a "new" governor. He is a puppet for the Goodwin-Rockefailure-Manchin Machine. He has less to say about what goes on in WV than you do.

WV has been run into the ground by, one, the federal government, and, two, the Goodwin-Rockefailure-Manchin Machine. The state has 10000 issues to solve, some of them insolvable.

As it relates to higher education, the state higher ed system has 1000 issues, first among these being the massive subsidy of WVU's majority out-of-state students tuition by WV taxpayers, these students, of course, going back where they came from and never contributing a thing to the state. If anything, Justice should solve that. Of course, he will not, because the Machine likes it just like it is. Imagine a WV with a higher ed system as good as most states and how great it would be. But no, we educate New Jersites. How does that make any sense to anyone?
Don't complain about OOS students because the number of in state college students drops each year as our population declines. As our state finances continue to suffer, we WV residents have some serious questions to ask one another and our Legislature. Can we continue to afford 3 medical schools, 3 engineering schools, and 3 pharmacy schools? Do we need 55 of everything? The two golden eggs, coal and Robert C. Byrd, are gone. It will be a while before natural gas production puts a dent in the depleted coal revenues. That cannot happen until the two major pipelines are up and running.

Don't complain about OOS students because the number of in state college students drops each year as our population declines. As our state finances continue to suffer, we WV residents have some serious questions to ask one another and our Legislature. Can we continue to afford 3 medical schools, 3 engineering schools, and 3 pharmacy schools? Do we need 55 of everything? The two golden eggs, coal and Robert C. Byrd, are gone. It will be a while before natural gas production puts a dent in the depleted coal revenues. That cannot happen until the two major pipelines are up and running.

Considering the state soda tax has pumped millions in the WVU medical school for years, I don't think the WVU crowd can whine about the MU med school at all. Both schools and WVSOM have different missions. I wish the MU school got 12 mIllion a year from the soda tax like the WVU school does.

But do agree with your thought - the state has some real issues and needs to make some hard choices. Coal is gone and won't be coming back, even close to what it once was. The state screwed the pooch 60 years ago by not having the smarts to diversify the economy and quit playing petty politics.

Sam posted that Justice is a "puppet for the Goodwin-Rockefeller-Manchin Machine" LOL

Considering the state soda tax has pumped millions in the WVU medical school for years, I don't think the WVU crowd can whine about the MU med school at all. Both schools and WVSOM have different missions. I wish the MU school got 12 mIllion a year from the soda tax like the WVU school does.

But do agree with your thought - the state has some real issues and needs to make some hard choices. Coal is gone and won't be coming back, even close to what it once was. The state screwed the pooch 60 years ago by not having the smarts to diversify the economy and quit playing petty politics.
I thought about that as soon as I posted that. WVU medicine is using all that money, with the approval of WVDHHR, to take over as many small community hospitals in the state as they can. They have already taken over Reynolds in Glen Dale, Wetzel County in New Martinsville, and Camden Clark in Parkersburg. They have their eye on Sistersville, but for the moment, it has been put up for bid.

One more thing about current state finances. The Medicaid expansion bill for WV's 10% is due next year. That will cost anywhere from $500 million to $1 billion dollars EACH year. That is money that cannot be spent on roads, schools, higher ed, or anything else.

I thought about that as soon as I posted that. WVU medicine is using all that money, with the approval of WVDHHR, to take over as many small community hospitals in the state as they can. They have already taken over Reynolds in Glen Dale, Wetzel County in New Martinsville, and Camden Clark in Parkersburg. They have their eye on Sistersville, but for the moment, it has been put up for bid.

One more thing about current state finances. The Medicaid expansion bill for WV's 10% is due next year. That will cost anywhere from $500 million to $1 billion dollars EACH year. That is money that cannot be spent on roads, schools, higher ed, or anything else.

Yep, this state isin a world of hurt. I don't see how the small hospitals survive. Gotta be tough recruiting good clinicians and nurses to work in some of these facilities. That's where MU and WVSOM come into play. jmo. Educating primary care clinicians for careers in Appalachia. That was the core goal initially for the MUSOM.

Of all the tragic decisions made in the sad history of WV, the decison to put the first medical school in a tiny town 7 miles from the border and in the only part of the state already with a major referal hospital nearby (Pitt) was the worst. Contrast to most states (Indiana, Alabama, Tennessee, Texas, Mississippi, many others) where a major referal hospital was developed in the state's major city and not only served the state's health needs, but incubated major science/tech jobs. I read somewhere that one out of 3 jobs in Birmingham is sci/tech due to UAB and the UASOM.

Just another reason why what is bad for WVU is good for WV, and v-v.

Reactions: 19MU88
It doesn't look like we're gonna play anytime soon. WVU just announced a game with FSU which was the last open slot on the schedule for the next 4 years.

Reactions: IslandHerd1
WVU hospitals have REALLY done well and grown over the last 10 years. It would be a shame to gut the funding WVU does get...

The top-ranked academic medical centers for 2016 are:

1. University of Utah Hospitals and Clinics
2. NYU Langone Medical Center
3. Mayo Clinic Hospital-Rochester
4. Froedtert Health-Froedtert Hospital
5. Rush University Medical Center
6. WVU Medicine-West Virginia University Hospitals
7. Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
8. Cedars-Sinai Health System
9. Houston Methodist
10. Nebraska Medicine
11. The Ohio State University Wexner Health System
12. University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Center
13. University of Vermont Medical Center

i've just sat here reading 5 different "top" whatever lists for hospitals including a copy/paste search for "top-ranked academic medical centers for 2016" and wVu isn't even on the honor roll...

i suppose a link to the source would be too much to ask for...

I think he's referring to the Vizient Quality Leadership Awards for Top Performing Academic Medical Centers announced in September 2016 but this is not in my field so I have no idea what it means.

Your last paragraph says it ALL about WV's economic future. This was the MAIN FACTOR pooh-poohed and played down by both Gov. Billy Bob Tomblin and left wing media outlets particularly the Gagzette when the Gov. got WV involved with Obammy-Care!!. Remember the GAZETTE daily had its usual cadre of leftist, bleeding heart columnists, guest columnists, etc., extolling the virtue of Obamma's disastrous plan and claiming how many TENS OF THOUSANDS OF JOBS WOULD BE CREATED IN THE STATE BY THE EXPANDING MEDICAL COVERAGE STATEWIDE!!! Well, it is now 2017, the state's bill and its costs for increased coverage is rising and COMING DUE!! Go back and Google the total yearly state employment numbers for the state, and see if we have gained TENS AND TENS of thousands of new jobs in the MEDICAL/HEALTH CARE INDUSTRY!!! I don't think so!! Another pack of liberal DAMN LIES exposed, thanks to goof balls like the GOV and the then dummard leader of the House, CONG. woman "Botox Queen" Pelosi, who had no idea what all was in the Affordable Care Act bill when she led its passage, and openly said so!!

Reactions: andy4theherd
Your last paragraph says it ALL about WV's economic future. This was the MAIN FACTOR pooh-poohed and played down by both Gov. Billy Bob Tomblin and left wing media outlets particularly the Gagzette when the Gov. got WV involved with Obammy-Care!!. Remember the GAZETTE daily had its usual cadre of leftist, bleeding heart columnists, guest columnists, etc., extolling the virtue of Obamma's disastrous plan and claiming how many TENS OF THOUSANDS OF JOBS WOULD BE CREATED IN THE STATE BY THE EXPANDING MEDICAL COVERAGE STATEWIDE!!! Well, it is now 2017, the state's bill and its costs for increased coverage is rising and COMING DUE!! Go back and Google the total yearly state employment numbers for the state, and see if we have gained TENS AND TENS of thousands of new jobs in the MEDICAL/HEALTH CARE INDUSTRY!!! I don't think so!! Another pack of liberal DAMN LIES exposed, thanks to goof balls like the GOV and the then dummard leader of the House, CONG. woman "Botox Queen" Pelosi, who had no idea what all was in the Affordable Care Act bill when she led its passage, and openly said so!!

you should visit the Pullman board. you'll fit right in ;)

Um hate to interrupt but this thread asked the question should Gov Elect mandate an intra state series to keep much needed revenue IN the state for the sake of ALL state residents, NOT a discussion about a magazine article somebody found about a med school.

So I guess I'll add this.

I wouldn't mind seeing it , BUT, I'm over it - DITTO.

I've never seen a school that lives so much on our boards screaming they're superior in svery way be so afraid to play. WTF? Just play man. What's the big deal except horseteeth had to manage his career at the expense of the entire state.

LaughOutLoud

I "wanted" to say that but decided against it because I wanted to the thread to focus on IN STATE revenue.

But of course we got another we're superior in every way thread diversion. Ugh. Lord people your 49th out of 50th in obesity. Link that to your hospitals outcomes.

I've been selling to hospitals for 30 years, Morgantown has NEVER been seen as a leader. Sorry I don't know with the Verizon index is but it isn't about clinical superiority. UPMC just to the north, yes. Sorry but who ever came up with that index must think OBama care is the solution to all our problems.

So back to the question.

If West Va is a state with huge economic problems and needs revenue why not play a game most people in the state enjoy watching and keeping much needed revenue IN state? I think Gov elect Justice should on his opening address say he will mandate the game unless an agreement is worked out between the states two Division 1 schools. Give me 5 reasons why they shouldn't play home and home every year Football and basketball eerbillys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT