ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Pioneer Day!

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
Pioneer Day is a big celebration in Utah, as it commemorates when Brigham Young decided that was the place for his whacked out religion. They have parades, events, fireworks, etc. throughout the state. This year, it is even better, as Salt Lake City was officially given the 2034 Winter Olympics during an announcement at 2:30 a.m. this morning. Thousands of fans came out to watch the live announcement and celebrate all night waiting for the announcement, then turn around for the Pioneer Day parade tomorrow.

Here is the announcement/celebration, with about 50 pictures at the bottom of the link:

Los Angeles is also hosting the 2028 Summer Olympics, so the Olympics are pretty much choosing based on where I own property/live.

What year has West Virginia hosted the games and what year do they have them next?

Make sure you all watch the video below for a wonderful song about the state.

Good for Utah, beautiful place. Just had two good friends move to SLC from central PA and I'm excited to go visit soon.

Good for Utah, beautiful place. Just had two good friends move to SLC from central PA and I'm excited to go visit soon.

SLC is great on its own, but there is so much more. Go 35 minutes away to Park City and enjoy the hiking, biking/skiiing, lodging, food, and art museums/stores.
Go a few hours south to the national parks (and even state parks), some of the best in the country.
Go 20 minutes north or south to find very lightly used trails with great waterfalls.
Go 30 minutes north to Antelope Island to hang with the buffalo, get beautiful views, and get away from everybody.
Go the East Bench of SLC to walk through University of Utah's campus and check out their sporting venues.

Go a few hours south to the national parks (and even state parks), some of the best in the country.

This is what I really want to do in the near future. Two summer ago we visited to Yosemite, Tahoe, Crater Lake, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton... just amazing. We had loosely discussed a similar trip to the parks in the Southwest, and when we found out our friends were moving to SLC it lined up for visiting Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches and some other parks in the region we would like to see with SLC being the start/end point.

I appreciate your insight.

This is what I really want to do in the near future. Two summer ago we visited to Yosemite, Tahoe, Crater Lake, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton... just amazing. We had loosely discussed a similar trip to the parks in the Southwest, and when we found out our friends were moving to SLC it lined up for visiting Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches and some other parks in the region we would like to see with SLC being the start/end point.

I appreciate your insight.
I haven't been to Crater Lake but need to get there.

I don't know what type of shape you're in and your experience hiking, but if it's a little above average, you need to do Angels Landing trail at Zion. It can be dangerous though, so be smart about it, and I think you need to get a permit now. More than a couple of people have died on it, and most of those who perish are males who live outside of Utah.

If you're going to do those national parks, I highly recommend also doing Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. It is just as impressive as many national parks:

Video:

Video:

If you're going to do those national parks, you can't skip Grand Canyon and Sedona. The North Rim of Grand Canyon is less than two hours from Zion.

Video:

Just don't be like me and randomly decide to go from the top to the river and then back up top the other way while starting your hike at 2:30 p.m. You'll end up looking like this very experienced hiker throughout the 19 mile hike:

Last edited:
But if you drive less than two hours to Grand Canyon, you have to drive the additional less than two hours to Sedona. Sedona is magical, and I wish I had spent more than just a day there. There were two other major hikes there that I didn't get to do.

And of course, if you're going to do all of those great things, then you have to try Havasu Falls (which takes planning and some luck for the lottery system). I haven't done it, but if you Google image search it, you'll see why I think it may be the mecca for hikes in the continental U.S.

If you're doing more than one national park, get the America the Beautiful Pass to save some money.

Years ago, two Marshall friends sent this photo from their ski trip to Utah. Beautiful state. I only wish I had accepted their invitation to join them back when I was still a good skier.

Hey rifle, I’m not sure how else to ask this but am I going to see those last few pictures on a missing persons poster somewhere

Years ago, two Marshall friends sent this photo from their ski trip to Utah. Beautiful state. I only wish I had accepted their invitation to join them back when I was still a good skier.

Did they want your help with building the Eiffel Tower?

The North Rim of Grand Canyon is less than two hours from Zion.

That’s exactly where we were a couple weeks ago. Man…when we went to one of those overlooks, my knees shook and went noodly. I couldn’t wait to get back to the top of the trail. The air is THIN there too. Either that, or my nerves got the better of me because my head spun like I was about to pass out.

All that said, it was breathtaking. Absolutely stunning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT