ADVERTISEMENT

Hawaii Bowl Cancelled less than 24 hrs before game

Well, lots of rumors around the SEC circles and such that Texas AM had some other reasons for pulling out.

JFC, this thread is like the worst of the worst Facebook misinformation.

First I’m not sure how these positive tests are “media driven.”

Second, this current outbreak of cases in the NFL, and all sports leagues are due to the Omicron strain infecting vaccinated and non vaccinated players at a much higher rate. How do you not know this?

And finally, being vaccinated or boosted in no way causes a “positive test”. This one is just straight dumb, sorry.

I’m a nurse. I’m tired. I’m tired of watching people die. I’m tired of people telling me I’m not actually watching people die, or the huge spike in deaths and sick people I’m seeing is actually something else. I’m tired of it. I come here to have discussions about Marshall University. Not to hear this shit. On top of that, why in the hell would a team forfeit the money, the tv, the athletes getting a last game? Get real.

I’m a nurse. I’m tired. I’m tired of watching people die. I’m tired of people telling me I’m not actually watching people die, or the huge spike in deaths and sick people I’m seeing is actually something else. I’m tired of it. I come here to have discussions about Marshall University. Not to hear this shit. On top of that, why in the hell would a team forfeit the money, the tv, the athletes getting a last game? Get real.
Ask Jimbo Fisher and Texas AM

Maybe because transfers, the portal, injuries outside of testing, and you are going to go get your ass embarrassed by Wake Forest.

All I am saying, I am saying there is some funny stuff going on in regard to college football with it. It was a college football discussion.

Memphis goes all the way to Hawaii and then Hawaii a day before the game cancels it? WTF.

Obvious what Texas AM did. The old pull a hamstring trick to stop the clock.

Last edited:
JFC, this thread is like the worst of the worst Facebook misinformation.

First I’m not sure how these positive tests are “media driven.”

Second, this current outbreak of cases in the NFL, and all sports leagues are due to the Omicron strain infecting vaccinated and non vaccinated players at a much higher rate. How do you not know this?

And finally, being vaccinated or boosted in no way causes a “positive test”. This one is just straight dumb, sorry.

Halle-stinking-lujah. Slivers of rational thought makes it’s way into the insanity.

Anyways.....back to posting about football and this bowl game. I hope they will still pay Memphis whatever the payout was for this game or at least help compensate them financially for the cost of everything they went through to get there. It would be bad enough to go through all of the preparations and travel for any other bowl, but I'm sure the expenses to Hawaii were far greater.

Last edited:
I have a doctor and two nurses in my family so this dumb comment as you say isn't based on my personal thoughts. Many people after receiving the vaccine or booster have minor Covid symptoms and yes this can cause a positive test result. Doctors will actually tell you not to get tested for a specific amount of time after the shot. The same thing would happen if you were tested for the Flu after receiving a Flu vaccine. Your body is given a low grade version of a Flu strain in order for it to build antibodies for protection.

I'm not pro or anti any of this stuff. Everybody has a choice to make and it shouldn't be made for them. The whole point of my post was it wouldn't make sense to get your whole team and coaching staff the booster shot within such a small window of their game knowing they will be required to be tested. I understand they want to be proactive, but their good intentions could actually backfire and cost them a chance at the playoffs.

No they don’t. You are wrong. The vaccines do not give you anything that would remotely test positive considering the vaccine make an antibody. Covid tests test for the DNA of the actual virus. You can keep doubling down on your incorrect nature but there is no credibility to your assertions.

Reactions: imherdfan
I have a doctor and two nurses in my family so this dumb comment as you say isn't based on my personal thoughts. Many people after receiving the vaccine or booster have minor Covid symptoms and yes this can cause a positive test result. Doctors will actually tell you not to get tested for a specific amount of time after the shot. The same thing would happen if you were tested for the Flu after receiving a Flu vaccine. Your body is given a low grade version of a Flu strain in order for it to build antibodies for protection.

I'm not pro or anti any of this stuff. Everybody has a choice to make and it shouldn't be made for them. The whole point of my post was it wouldn't make sense to get your whole team and coaching staff the booster shot within such a small window of their game knowing they will be required to be tested. I understand they want to be proactive, but their good intentions could actually backfire and cost them a chance at the playoffs.

From what I’ve read the vaccine can cause a positive antibody test…which is good because that means you had an immune response from the vaccination. But the antigen and PCR…no. At least according to these sources…

“The two Covid-19 vaccines (Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna) currently authorized for use in the United States are mRNA-based vaccines. They do not consist of the entire genome of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which causes Covid-19. Instead, these vaccines are made of a small region of the viral genome, which enters the host cell and “tricks” the cell into making a specific viral protein (i.e., the Spike protein) against which an immune response is generated. RNA molecules are inherently unstable, being targeted by enzymes that can degrade the RNA within hours. Therefore, mRNA-based vaccines will not cause a Covid-19 PCR test to be positive., these vaccines will not cause rapid antigen tests to be positive, since the proteins produced following vaccination are not expressed in the respiratory (i.e., nasal) tract, which is sampled for Covid-19 PCR or antigen testing.”

Question​

If I get the vaccination, will I become a false positive for the COVID-19 testing (e.g., PCR test, antigen test or antibody test)?

Answered by infectious diseases expert Angela Hewlett, MD, MS

Receiving the COVID-19 vaccine will not affect the PCR or antigen test results since these tests check for active disease, not immunity. There is no virus present in the mRNA COVID-19 vaccine.

The vaccine is intended to induce an immune response, so the serology test (antibody test) may be positive in someone who has been vaccinated.

Will the COVID-19 vaccine cause me to test positive?​

No, the vaccine won’t cause you to test positive on a COVID-19 viral test, such as the PCR or antigen tests. However, you may test positive for the antibody test, due to developing an immune response.

So we need to differentiate between antibody test, antigen test, and PCR. The NCAA requires the use of PCR/NAAT test. This test will not show false positives after the vaccine. Even if the NCAA required an antibody test, a positive reading would be an actual good thing.

From what I’ve read the vaccine can cause a positive antibody test…which is good because that means you had an immune response from the vaccination. But the antigen and PCR…no. At least according to these sources…

“The two Covid-19 vaccines (Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna) currently authorized for use in the United States are mRNA-based vaccines. They do not consist of the entire genome of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which causes Covid-19. Instead, these vaccines are made of a small region of the viral genome, which enters the host cell and “tricks” the cell into making a specific viral protein (i.e., the Spike protein) against which an immune response is generated. RNA molecules are inherently unstable, being targeted by enzymes that can degrade the RNA within hours. Therefore, mRNA-based vaccines will not cause a Covid-19 PCR test to be positive., these vaccines will not cause rapid antigen tests to be positive, since the proteins produced following vaccination are not expressed in the respiratory (i.e., nasal) tract, which is sampled for Covid-19 PCR or antigen testing.”

Question​

If I get the vaccination, will I become a false positive for the COVID-19 testing (e.g., PCR test, antigen test or antibody test)?

Answered by infectious diseases expert Angela Hewlett, MD, MS

Receiving the COVID-19 vaccine will not affect the PCR or antigen test results since these tests check for active disease, not immunity. There is no virus present in the mRNA COVID-19 vaccine.

The vaccine is intended to induce an immune response, so the serology test (antibody test) may be positive in someone who has been vaccinated.

Will the COVID-19 vaccine cause me to test positive?​

No, the vaccine won’t cause you to test positive on a COVID-19 viral test, such as the PCR or antigen tests. However, you may test positive for the antibody test, due to developing an immune response.

So we need to differentiate between antibody test, antigen test, and PCR. The NCAA requires the use of PCR/NAAT test. This test will not show false positives after the vaccine. Even if the NCAA required an antibody test, a positive reading would be an actual good thing.
It's not a vaccine if it doesn't prevent infection

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Well don't worry they are going to send out 500 million home test kits in January. That is a few days supply for the US. Under certain testing protocols now they would need between 2 and 3 billion test kits to get through a few months. But, let's keep on with it. Let's just keep on keeping on.

To stay sports related the NBA is set to reduce its quarantine period form 10 days to 6. Maybe the govt know it alls should recommend the same. Why? The virtue signal folks realized they were about to lose more money.

This thread was about sports. We went down this road. Oh well, tis the season

Holy moly.

Moving this to Pullman.

Unfortunately sports and today’s pandemic environment play in the same arena. It’s almost impossible for sports discussions involving the cancellation of bowl games to not overlap with the very reason that they were canceled. I agree with the move to Pullman and was about to do it myself. But misinformation should be allowed to be addressed in any forum.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
Ask Jimbo Fisher and Texas AM

Maybe because transfers, the portal, injuries outside of testing, and you are going to go get your ass embarrassed by Wake Forest.

All I am saying, I am saying there is some funny stuff going on in regard to college football with it. It was a college football discussion.

Memphis goes all the way to Hawaii and then Hawaii a day before the game cancels it? WTF.

Obvious what Texas AM did. The old pull a hamstring trick to stop the clock.
You're an idiot. Always have been. Always will be.

Unfortunately sports and today’s pandemic environment play in the same arena. It’s almost impossible for sports discussions involving the cancellation of bowl games to not overlap with the very reason that they were canceled. I agree with the move to Pullman and was about to do it myself. But misinformation should be allowed to be addressed in any forum.
Completely agree.

Reactions: GK4Herd
How many people who have received a polio vaccine contract polio? Same for small pox?
Depends on how many doses for the polio vaccine. If children receive all four recommended doses it’s about 99%. The recommended doses should come at 2 months, 4 months, 6 to 18 months, and ages 4 to 6. With all four doses the efficacy is 99 out of 100. The polio vaccine is 90% effective after the second dose. It doesn‘t get to the 99-100% efficacy until doses 3 and 4.

Historically, the vaccine for smallpox had been effective in preventing infection in 95% of those vaccinated. I guess that number shows how worldwide vaccination can eradicate something over time without being perfect. The fact that there wasn’t a known animal reservoir for the disease helped as well. I mean…assuming there isn’t a large group of people refusing the vaccination maybe we can put a dent in covid.

I wonder if there was an outcry with the polio vaccine when it was determined that four doses were necessary to drive the efficacy to 99%?

Keep in mind, small pox existed for thousands of years. The vaccine was developed in 1796. So with the vaccine and spotty immunization it still stayed around for nearly 200 years. It took a world wide intense vaccination effort by the WHO in the 1970s to eradicate it. The last known natural case was in 1977 in Somalia. So what ended small pox after thousands of years of existence? A worldwide vaccination effort.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT