ADVERTISEMENT

Herd football entrance

oldeherd

Gold Buffalo
Jan 24, 2014
Did anyone notice that during the Herd football entrance last Friday that something was missing? I mean did the Buffalo cycle get permanently (temporarily) retired? Or was it just in the shop from the problems that apparently arose before the ODU game when Jack Lengyel was on board?

They used it last week. I was watching to see if it malfunctioned again.

Damn, that must have been the quickest lap around the field in the history of JCE Stadium. I could swear that it wasn't there, and I hadn't started drinking yet!!

I did notice they played Thunderstruck during the opening video, made it a lot better than the tedious song they played before. The video is extremely long and USM ran on to the field right as we did...

I did notice they played Thunderstruck during the opening video, made it a lot better than the tedious song they played before. The video is extremely long and USM ran on to the field right as we did...

This years entrance video is the shortest of the last five years. It may seem longer, but at 2:06 it is the shortest.

There's way too much standing around.
Watch how someplace like Virginia Tech does it. It builds and then explodes.
Here it's more like listen to the band, stand around, watch video, stand around some more, wake up crowd, let team come on.

Last year's video was perfect IMO. Appropriate music, some live action clips and some "studio video".

The bike stalled and had a hard time restarting......They talked about it on the telecast.

Why do we need an "Entrance" video anyway? Just let the team come onto the field. That is what we fans want anyway. Way too much copying of other programs IMO.

Why do we need an "Entrance" video anyway? Just let the team come onto the field. That is what we fans want anyway. Way too much copying of other programs IMO.

Because players love it! Alternate uniforms, alternate helmets, etc. It all helps with recruiting, believe it or not.

When done right, fans love it too.....Just another part of the experience of being there live.

Entrance is all enhanced by the fans which rarely get into the entrance video. We don't have the hype of places like VT when we enter. That's why it seems boring.

Cocky the "players" love it! Really. When they come out of the locker room the video is to the countdown. Doubt the players really care. If they are more focused on a video rather than the game we've got a problem. Just say that "you" like it and maybe their parents. I like it but agree with others it could be much shorter and gain the same intended effect IMO.

Back in the early 2000's all they did was play "Thunderstruck" and run the team out at the crescendo. Same thing VT does with "Enter Sandman," and it was awesome.

The thing about traditions is two-fold - it has to be unique and it has to be consistent. We completely re-do the entrance every year (sometimes even changing it during a season) and they seem to get worse each time. Disjointed, overlong, and painfully anti-climactic. Its like they get 10 people in a room, and then include every single person's idea. The point of it is to get the crowd emotionally excited, and it does anything but that.

And don't get me started on slapping Michigan's banner...

Reactions: Thundering Herb
Cocky the "players" love it! Really. When they come out of the locker room the video is to the countdown. Doubt the players really care. If they are more focused on a video rather than the game we've got a problem. Just say that "you" like it and maybe their parents. I like it but agree with others it could be much shorter and gain the same intended effect IMO.

Check Twitter......The players love doing and being part of the Entrance Video. I never said ours was great, it's not. (It needs to be shorter and coordinated with our music)

As I said above......Short entrance video, blast the music and GO!

And yes, believe it or not, all of these things matter in recruiting.

Entrance videos can be awesome, but we still let the Barnes Agency do it for some reason despite years of plagiarized and/or uninspiring offerings.

Anything more than 60 seconds is awful and the countdown is stupid.

No offense (Everyone knows I'm getting ready to offend someone) but I've seen much better videos done by students......With technology today, students could do the hype videos for all sports as a department or class project every year, for free......And it would be better than what we have now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT