ADVERTISEMENT

Herdman - Disney is Safe Again

I found it interesting to look through Wikipedia's page (see the ownership Greed?) for the Nordstrom corporation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordstrom?wprov=sfla1

Say what you want about the validity of Wikipedia, but typically the pages for large companies are frequently checked and or maintained by representatives from those companies with Wikipedia pages.

"If you’re looking for stylish booties that won’t cost you a ton, look no further than Nordstrom’s BP brand booties."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...rom-clothing-shoes-coats-and-more/2236910002/

It could have just as easily been written as Nordstom BP brand booties.

As I said before, it's ok either way.

I am going to Pizza Hut's to get some pizza.

I am going to the Henderson Center's.

I am going to Waffle House's to get some eggs.

I am going to Wal Mart's. Or maybe Go Mart's

Maybe I will go to two Wal Marts and two Go Marts.

I going down to the K-Mart's to get me some blue light specials.

I am going to CVS's to get some me some pills.

I am going to New York's.

The only or last word in these is not someone's name.

In the Southern Indiana dialect, a lot of people called KMart "KMark". I have no explanation for that.

going down to the walmart's out Wayne's to get some night crawlers or maybe some lot lizards.

This isn’t the first time rifle has struggled with the dastardly apostrophe.

Tis’ true...remember?

Reactions: 19MU88
For a good vacation I recommend going to Washington's D.C.'S and go to the White House's. Maybe ride the Amtrak's.

No but I will stop by sue’s(house). You know the possessive object being referred/inferred in your sentence.

Good, in the same way I know that I can shop at Penny's or Nordstrom's, and dine at McDonald's and Wendy's. And I've also shopped for Toys "R" Us's products, and in the past I could have driven over to Toys "R" Us's and Sally's.

I apologize to have gotten this thread so off track. I know a lot of you would rather be talking about going to Disney World’s.

You should get a job at Home Depot's. You might make more money to supplement your retirement.

Yeah, I heard from you morons that they determine the manufacturing process of factory cabinets. I believe I read that when I was at Sally.

yep. I've been trying to tell you, there's no hard and fast rule.
Just when I think you’ve reached peak stupid with toys r us’s you come back. And actually try to justify it. You have to be the only
Idiot on the planet that says I bought it at toys r us’s.

Reactions: mlblack16.
Just when I think you’ve reached peak stupid with toys r us’s you come back. And actually try to justify it. You have to be the only
Idiot on the planet that says I bought it at toys r us’s.

It amuses me to see that you're too stupid to understand there are no hard and fast rules for everything grammatical.

Just eating a burrito bowl at Chipotle's for lunch. Thought I would check in to see if Greed is still a retard.

Yup.

You're right, Disney can create a lifetime of memories unique to each family. I never had the opportunity to go as a child, so my first experience was as a grown man and father. We did have a great time, and there were some miserable times as well... All 3 of us snapping each other's head off while standing in line in the Florida heat and humidity, only to be completely forgotten the moment we were boarding the ride and even shortly thereafter, once the euphoria wore down.

My old man didn't see the importance of doing family vacations, and that's a real shame. I've made it a point to have a budget dedicated to family entertainment for weekends and for annual family trips as well. My kid is spoiled in that regard, and I love it.

Certainly agree with your last paragraph. Although in my case, we were too poor to go on big trips. Our big vacation each year was a 4 day weekend at Jenny Wiley or Greenbo State Park and I loved it as a kid. Didn't see the ocean until I was 12.

I vowed though that if I ever had kids, they would see the country if we had the means, not just a trip to shitty Myrtle Beach. The memories made are probably cherished more by me than them. Been to Zion, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, LA, Pebble Beach, San Fran. Chicago, NYC, DC, Hilton Head, yes, Disney. This year, it's the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. Gawd Yosemite was awesome, Zion is close behind.

There is nothing better than when somebody tries correcting somebody on here, is a dick about it, and ends up being wrong. This one is even better than usual because Tier Three also liked your post showing he supported your incorrect attempt.

My use was entirely correct, and it is very easy to educate you as to why.

Let's say you have a friend name Jason. Jason has the guys over for a card game once a week. Before leaving your house to go to the house where your friend Jason lives, you say to your wife "Hey, I'm going over to JASON'S."

Even though the proper noun is "Jason" and not "Jason's," is saying "Jason's" wrong? No. Why not? Because it is implied that it is "Jason's house" you are referencing. Likewise, the proper noun is "Nordstrom" and not "Nordstrom's." However, saying "Nordstrom's" implies you are going to the Nordstrom store/location. The apostrophe shows ownership/possession. You are going to the house of Jason. You are going to the location of Nordstrom. Those are possessions.

Had I said "Nordstroms" without the apostrophe, you would have had a valid argument. But I didn't, which is why I used the apostrophe.

Now, go wipe the egg off of your face before going to Jason's (note the apostrophe).

Going to "Nordstrom's" is not the same as going to "Jason's." With "Jason's" you are implying that you are going to Jason's house. You are going to the house that is owned by Jason. Nordstrom does not own Nordstrom. There is no possession to imply. You are going to Nordstrom...not going to Nordstrom's store. The store is Nordstrom. Usually I'm with ya...but this time I think you're just arguing for argument's sake. The only way you can justify saying it was if you just stated that it was a colloquialism. And that's ok. We all have them as they have been discussed throughout this thread. That said, I'm guessing your pride will not allow you to back away from your argument now so carry on.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Going to "Nordstrom's" is not the same as going to "Jason's." With "Jason's" you are implying that you are going to Jason's house. You are going to the house that is owned by Jason. Nordstrom does not own Nordstrom. There is no possession to imply. You are going to Nordstrom...not going to Nordstrom's store. The store is Nordstrom. Usually I'm with ya...but this time I think you're just arguing for argument's sake. The only way you can justify saying it was if you just stated that it was a colloquialism. And that's ok. We all have them as they have been discussed throughout this thread. That said, I'm guessing your pride will not allow you to back away from your argument now so carry on.

Greed also knows this, but he wants Rifle to be his friend so bad he's willing to make himself look like an idiot for defending him. Greed does just fine doing this on his own.

Greed also knows this, but he wants Rifle to be his friend so bad he's willing to make himself look like an idiot for defending him. Greed does just fine doing this on his own.

You and the rest arguing against Nordstrom's are half right but want to argue that you're entirely correct. And you are wrong as usual, moron.

Sure thing, moron, right after you explain how regulations that weren't repealed caused the metal fab shop to do better....
we've been down this road before and because of that, you've left no doubt in my mind that if i posted the links and reasoning a hundred more times that you would be able to grasp it. why are you so jealous? that's not very christian-like . . . but, neither is lying like you do, so no surprise there, either.

Going to "Nordstrom's" is not the same as going to "Jason's." With "Jason's" you are implying that you are going to Jason's house. You are going to the house that is owned by Jason. Nordstrom does not own Nordstrom. There is no possession to imply. You are going to Nordstrom...not going to Nordstrom's store. The store is Nordstrom.

You absolutely are going to Nordstrom's store. Just like you're implying that you are going to Jason's house by simply saying "Jason's," you are implying that you are going to one of the stores of Nordstrom by saying "Nordstrom's."

Many of the nicer Nordstroms have their own cafe. The official name of the cafe is "Nordstrom Cafe," but you are going to Nordstrom's Cafe just like you'd be going to Nordstrom's men's department.

And yes, Nordstrom does in fact own Nordstrom. The Nordstroms are still the largest shareholders in the company.

You absolutely are going to Nordstrom's store. Just like you're implying that you are going to Jason's house by simply saying "Jason's," you are implying that you are going to one of the stores of Nordstrom by saying "Nordstrom's."

Many of the nicer Nordstroms have their own cafe. The official name of the cafe is "Nordstrom Cafe," but you are going to Nordstrom's Cafe just like you'd be going to Nordstrom's men's department.

And yes, Nordstrom does in fact own Nordstrom. The Nordstroms are still the largest shareholders in the company.

Yes, because I'm sure you were referencing the Nordstrom family. As I said...carry on.

Yes, because I'm sure you were referencing the Nordstrom family. As I said...carry on.

I wasn't. But what does that have to do with you making that incorrect statement?

The fact remains that "Nordstrom's" is entirely correct due to implying that you're going to a store of Nordstrom, just like you are going to a house of Jason.

I wasn't. But what does that have to do with you making that incorrect statement?

The fact remains that "Nordstrom's" is entirely correct due to implying that you're going to a store of Nordstrom, just like you are going to a house of Jason.

Apples to oranges. You're trying to compare an individual (Jason) to a business (Nordstrom). Nordstrom doesn't own Nordstrom. Nordstrom is publicly traded. Nordstrom IS the store. It's not Nordstrom's store. The fact is, you weren't implying possession at all. You were simply stating that you were going to Nordstrom and you made a mistake. Anybody in their right mind can see that is what happened.

I do kinda love that you're still trying to find a way to be "right" though. It's quite impressive. By the way, I work in higher education. I have asked two women...both with PhDs in English. One from Florida State and one from Utah. Both say you're full of it. :)

Apples to oranges. You're trying to compare an individual (Jason) to a business (Nordstrom).

That has absolutely no relevance to it. Your argument is that one is a possessive when using an implied location because it is an individual while the other isn't a possessive because it is a business? You should ask your "friends" for some help with that argument.

They are both proper nouns. They both have an implied target which is "house" for Jason and "store" for Nordstrom.

Nordstrom doesn't own Nordstrom. Nordstrom is publicly traded.

They absolutely do! Not only are the Nordstroms the largest shareholders (which is ownership), but they are also the founders. Them being publicly traded has as much relevance as your previous argument.

The fact is, you weren't implying possession at all. You were simply stating that you were going to Nordstrom and you made a mistake.

I was implying Nordstrom's store. I went to a Nordstrom's store. That's entirely accurate and entirely correct.

By the way, I work in higher education. I have asked two women...both with PhDs in English. One from Florida State and one from Utah. Both say you're full of it. :)

You work in computers. Amazing that you happen to have such close, immediate contact with two English PhDs. Regardless, I know plenty of people with advanced degrees in English who aren't as versed as I am in it. One was an English professor at Marshall who I argued relentlessly with regarding points being deducted, incorrectly, for what she claimed was an English error. It was either that I started a sentence with "but" or that I didn't put a period after it. I knew I was right, she took points off, and I challenged it to the department chair. Guess who ended up being right? My mother has an advanced degree in English. It isn't even close about which one of us is more versed in it.

The fact that your "friends" claim I am full of it proves you're either lying or they aren't very bright. It isn't wrong, because in order to correctly argue it is wrong, they would have to know the intent. And my intent was the store owned by Nordstrom, hence Nordstrom's store.

Had I made an error regarding it I would have used "Nordstroms" without the apostrophe similar to "Wegmans."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT