ADVERTISEMENT

Houston Dana 2.0

Your claim is that he left due to getting $20 million guaranteed at Houston and the high likelihood that he would be fired from wvu after this season.

Well, let's bring some logic in this:

He would have been paid $3.7 million by wvu in 2019. You claimed he would have been fired after this season, in which case, he would have been guaranteed $4.68 million more by NOT working in both 2020 and 2021. In other words, assuming he got fired after this season, he would have been paid $8.4 million by wvu for coaching just THIS season. That leaves him $11.6 million short of his Houston contract with two years to go even after taking two years to do whatever the hell he wanted.

For the sake of the discussion, let's say he takes a head coaching gig at a similar level of Houston's after sitting out two years. He will make $8.5 in 2022 and 2023 at Houston . . .and the nature of the beast has pushed coaching salaries higher every year, so there is a chance he would have ended up getting even more in those years had he waited until 2022 to go somewhere.

So with that $8.5 million along with the $8.4 million from wvu, he is at nearly $17 million for three years of work. What's better - five years at $20 million or three years at $17 million? I'll take the latter, especially considering waiting to coach until 2022 would likely mean even higher salaries by that point.

Considering Houston (Texas) has no state income tax and the far better living in Houston than in morganhole, he made the wise decision, and his status at wvu had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Face it - your school and city it is in are shitholes. Nobody with a real option of going elsewhere wants to stay.

Like the rest of the state, morganhole is a dump.

It’s honestly pathetic that you’d make a username just to degrade another state university and WV city. It’s funny though, because a lot of other people must disagree with you. Morgantown, along with the Eastern Panhandle, is one of only two areas growing both economically and population-wise in WV.

You’re also assuming a lot. The main reason Houston was able to offer the contract they did was due to their billionaire booster Tilman Fertitta. Who else could pay that kind of salary in the Group of 5? Also, who’s to say that he’d even have a head coaching offer had he been fired at WVU after an unsuccessful season?

Like MU, wvu is merely a stepping stone for any alpha male. wvu has its positives but it can't compete with prestige level programs and cities the rest of the US has.

I'll give motgantown Cheat Lake, beautiful area.
Huntington has its positives as well.

I choose not to look at it like that. We see what our schools and cities have going for them and recognize what makes them special. I always hope that WVU’s head coaches see that. I know Doc is extremely appreciative of Marshall for giving him his first head coaching job and growing up in the area, I’m sure he thinks it’s a great place to live also.

I never stated otherwise. I haven’t criticized MU or Huntington.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT