ADVERTISEMENT

How does this affect the ‘baseball’ field

sluggo72

Silver Buffalo
Aug 31, 2006
We have exciting news to share! After a year-long process, we received official word from the U.S. Economic Development Administration that the Appalachian Climate Technology (ACT) Now Coalition of West Virginia, of which the City of Huntington is a partner, has been awarded $62.8 million in federal funding through its Build Back Better Regional Challenge. Combined with nearly $30 million in matching funds, this constitutes one of the largest investments in climate resilience in West Virginia history. We are so proud to be part of this truly innovative collaboration.

This coalition is led by Coalfield Development, our state’s two largest universities, the cities of Huntington and Charleston, more than 50 private businesses and our most innovative nonprofit organizations.

So what does this mean for Huntington? In simple terms, A LOT!

Approximately $15.7 in federal funding will go toward the transformation of two former industrial sites in Huntington into centers for 21st Century manufacturing.

The former American Car and Foundry (ACF) industrial site, which is owned by the Huntington Municipal Development Authority and is now part of the Huntington Brownfields Innovation Zone, or H-BIZ, will receive $8.2 million to set up a new manufacturing hub. The first anchor tenant of this H-BIZ manufacturing hub will be a new Welding & Robotics Technology Training Center. Marshall University’s Robert C. Byrd Institute (RCBI) will oversee the Training Center in partnership with Mountwest Community and Technical College (MCTC). RCBI will utilize robotic welding technology at this new Training Center and integrate it into its advanced welding program.

Coalfield Development will receive $7.5 million to partner with Solar Holler and transform the former Black Diamond factory in Huntington’s Westmoreland neighborhood into a new “Mine the Sun” solar training and logistics center.

Last I heard, the new baseball field site was found to be below flood level, have underground pipes that had to be removed or re routed, and had contaminated soil. Prep work for the site was estimated at around 8 million. We have about three pledged.

Last I heard, the new baseball field site was found to be below flood level, have underground pipes that had to be removed or re routed, and had contaminated soil. Prep work for the site was estimated at around 8 million. We have about three pledged.
That was at the old site, the new site is behind the softball field, which eliminates all those issues you listed.

Every single person on this board will be well past dead by the time MU actually begins construction on a baseball field.
I’m beginning to believe you are correct. The school has been talking baseball field since I was a student there over half a century ago. All we have ever gotten is pretty architectural drawings and photos of proposed sites. You have to wonder if Marshall actually cares about constructing a facility.

Every single person on this board will be well past dead by the time MU actually begins construction on a baseball field.
At least 20 years worth of "planning," architectural drawings, 5-6 sites being selected (then unselected), etc would certainly lend itself to your way of thinking.

I'll believe we are building a baseball stadium when I physically see dirt being moved.

And, while CUSA was a solid baseball conference, the SBC is a elite baseball conference. Halfassed measures and getting by are not going to cut it.
You mean Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, South Alabama and Southern Miss aren't going to be excited to play on the Kinetic Park middle school field or an hour away in Charleston?

• Haha
Reactions: BleedsGreen33
That was at the old site, the new site is behind the softball field, which eliminates all those issues you listed.
The last tenant at the site behind the softball field was a scrap metal recycler. I can't imagine there not being contaminated soil on the site.

Well Spears said bids would be opened by late October. Reportedly, he's had meetings with multiple contractors. We'll see what happens.

Well Spears said bids would be opened by late October. Reportedly, he's had meetings with multiple contractors. We'll see what happens.
From my understanding Bids opened up over a month ago, and construction was supposed to begin in 4 weeks. All the bidding info with bidders is online publicly.

Like you I had heard he had been in meetings all week a few weeks ago. But, after listening to Paul Swann yesterday with him on it, and not hearing one thing about it when usually it's always asked, has me wondering.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
From my understanding Bids opened up over a month ago, and construction was supposed to begin in 4 weeks. All the bidding info with bidders is online publicly.

Like you I had heard he had been in meetings all week a few weeks ago. But, after listening to Paul Swann yesterday with him on it, and not hearing one thing about it when usually it's always asked, has me wondering.
You're correct, I got the bids and moving dirt timeline mixed up. We'll see what happens. I assume they'll have to demolish the old brick building that sits behind the softball field?

This won't affect the baseball field. The baseball field will be built directly behind the softball field (which negates the whole below level and drainage thing).
The issue appears to be somewhat beyond MU's control.

Well, God rest his soul, at least former HERD HC Jack Cook did live long enough to witness at least ONE of those "groundbreaking" ceremonies for the new field. You know where a bunch of publicity seeking, photo-op mugging politicos and other political hacks, etc., all stand around with their shovels in a rather large bucket of dirt while the TV cameras, etc., are rolling, shooting, etc.!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT