ADVERTISEMENT

Huge Scandal

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
This involves Hollywood celebrities and more. Scam to get kids into elite schools. Federal prosecutors in Boston on Tuesday charged 50 people, including actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin, in the largest college admissions cheating scam ever prosecuted in the United States.It also includes coaches from Stanford and Yale and Texas.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...charged-college-entrance-exam-scandal-1194023

https://abc7.com/actresses-ceos-cha...DzZiKn6_G-X0eTWhTlvbounh6Z2VWMrB9Ls41eyYFfyUk

Last edited:
How dtard dumb do you have to be to pay half a million to get your kids into a college that is about 40k a year

The earning potential going to an elite university compared to an average or even above average school is far more than $500,000 over the course of a career . . . not to mention these families put a lot of value in the "branding" of their children going to elite schools, as it is expected.

The head of a huge international law firm, CEO of a company, etc. don't exactly take kindly to their children going to Marshall. If they have to pay $500,000 to get their kids into an elite school for career opportunities and branding of it, it's well worth it.

The earning potential going to an elite university compared to an average or even above average school is far more than $500,000 over the course of a career . . . not to mention these families put a lot of value in the "branding" of their children going to elite schools, as it is expected.

The head of a huge international law firm, CEO of a company, etc. don't exactly take kindly to their children going to Marshall. If they have to pay $500,000 to get their kids into an elite school for career opportunities and branding of it, it's well worth it.

How is that working out for them now? Mommy and Daddy go to jail. That's idiotic. It is all what you make of it. I am raking in more than my neighbor on the right, Naval Academy grad. Pulling in more than the guy across the street, ACC school with an advanced degree and has some fancy title and travels all over the place and I bet I am at least doubling him up in terms of pay.

This all about feeding egos and them thinking they are above the law. Nobody other than them gives a shit where their kids go to school.

The earning potential going to an elite university compared to an average or even above average school is far more than $500,000 over the course of a career . . .
According to who? Multiple studies have shown the difference in career earnings is negligible.

Reactions: 19MU88
Hell, look at what a fake degree from wvu did for Heather Bresch. Imagine what a fraudulently obtained degree from an elite school could have earned her.

How is that working out for them now? Mommy and Daddy go to jail. That's idiotic. It is all what you make of it. I am raking in more than my neighbor on the right, Naval Academy grad. Pulling in more than the guy across the street, ACC school with an advanced degree and has some fancy title and travels all over the place and I bet I am at least doubling him up in terms of pay.

You're the exception and not the norm. Compare the annual salary of a Marshall grad twenty years after graduating with the annual salary of a Georgetown grad twenty years after graduating, and it won't be anywhere close.

According to who? Multiple studies have shown the difference in career earnings is negligible.

You shouldn't be drinking on a school night.

Happy Monday, wage slaves! Here's a fun new data point from the Department of Education to put your life's drudgery into perspective: 10 years after starting college, the typical Ivy League grad earns more than twice as much as the typical graduate of other colleges.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-kids-so-hard-to-get-into-ivy-league-schools/

https://slate.com/business/2015/09/...ey-make-even-more-money-than-you-thought.html

You're the exception and not the norm. Compare the annual salary of a Marshall grad twenty years after graduating with the annual salary of a Georgetown grad twenty years after graduating, and it won't be anywhere close.

Happy Monday, wage slaves! Here's a fun new data point from the Department of Education to put your life's drudgery into perspective: 10 years after starting college, the typical Ivy League grad earns more than twice as much as the typical graduate of other colleges.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-kids-so-hard-to-get-into-ivy-league-schools/

https://slate.com/business/2015/09/...ey-make-even-more-money-than-you-thought.html
Hmm this looks like women’s pay gap math. Of course Marshall grads make less because marshallputs our more teachers. You don’t go Ivy League to major in sports marketing and management. With that said are their advantages going to an Ivy League school vs non Ivy absolutely especially when it comes to professional degrees. But I’d take my degree from Marshall over a women’s gender studies degree from Yale any day of the week

Hmm this looks like women’s pay gap math. Of course Marshall grads make less because marshallputs our more teachers. You don’t go Ivy League to major in sports marketing and management. With that said are their advantages going to an Ivy League school vs non Ivy absolutely especially when it comes to professional degrees. But I’d take my degree from Marshall over a women’s gender studies degree from Yale any day of the week

It also works degree to degree. The average Yale law school grad would make far more than the average Marshall law school grad if Marshall had a law school. The average UPenn business degree holder will have far better job opportunities than the average Marshall business degree recipient.

Of course going to an Ivy League school puts you on a course of advantage. It isn’t the education (it’s good) as much as it is the relationships you develop, the access you gain, and the doors that you open.

Agreed, but the education and degree are also extremely important.

Go apply for any type of solid position at Google, Boston Consulting, Cisco, McKinsey, Deloitte, or any other major company near the top of their industry. With just a Marshall degree, you won’t get out of the pile that the Harvard sophomore intern sifts through before passing it to a first year employee.

Have “Harvard” on your resume, even with the same degree as the Marshall applicant, and you’re a finalist for the position.

Of course going to an Ivy League school puts you on a course of advantage. It isn’t the education (it’s good) as much as it is the relationships you develop, the access you gain, and the doors that you open.

Bingo. My brother-in-law is still benefitting from the networking he was able to do while attending Wharton Business School and that was in the late 90's.

Problem is in instances like these, employees can see through the degree and see that the person is not qualified for the position even if their diploma says Yale or Harvard. The degree may get you the interview but the person has to close it.

When I worked for Boston Scientific, a fellow manager was a Harvard grad. Nice guy and smart, but he had the social skills and common sense of a rock. He didn't last long.

Reactions: ohio herd
This involves Hollywood celebrities and more. Scam to get kids into elite schools. Federal prosecutors in Boston on Tuesday charged 50 people, including actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin, in the largest college admissions cheating scam ever prosecuted in the United States.It also includes coaches from Stanford and Yale and Texas.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...charged-college-entrance-exam-scandal-1194023

https://abc7.com/actresses-ceos-cha...DzZiKn6_G-X0eTWhTlvbounh6Z2VWMrB9Ls41eyYFfyUk
Jesus you sound like Bernie Sanders. Who the fvck cares about this story.

I think another factor you have to consider is the existing wealth of most of the families of those who attend Ivy League schools.

I get that, but if the parents are already wealthy and well known, they should have contacts already and it won't matter as much where their kids go to school. I feel, they are paying to feed their own ego because they are embarrassed to say Little Johnny wen to Marshall Tech.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
The Ivy degree helps, but quantifying it is really difficult.

If someone gets into an Ivy league school they may be more apt to have succeeded no matter where they go, because (aside from present scandal) typically they are at the far end of the bell curve for intelligence and/or work ethic.

I definitely got into more prestiguous schools for undergrad and med school, but due to financial reasons largely I chose against them (even with partial scholarships staring down > $200K debt is nothing to sneeze at). I went where I could get bigger, better scholarships.

This is one reason that I usually support standardized testing. I went to state schools but if I scored 99th percentile on an MCAT or USMLE step, there is no faking that (present scandal excluded) and it's at least one metric to compare to someone else that went to Harvard. Peer reviewed publications can help level that playing field too, though in my experience there is quite a bit of bias there as well, as I"ve seen higher impact journals take a paper from a bigger institution where as a similar publication from a lesser known place gets buried elsewhere.

I'd have to do more math, but 500K invested at age 18 in a vanguard total stock market index fund looks pretty nice in 30 years.

If these kids are that hard up to get in on merit alone, can they really become a head of an international law firm or CEO? Maybe, but maybe not.

I definitely agree that Ivy league helps, but at some point there's a cut point of diminishing returns of investing $X at age 18 versus the value of that degree. Not sure where that number is but I"d but suprised if it's much more than 500K.

I'd have to do more math, but 500K invested at age 18 in a vanguard total stock market index fund looks pretty nice in 30 years.

If these kids are that hard up to get in on merit alone, can they really become a head of an international law firm or CEO? Maybe, but maybe not.

I definitely agree that Ivy league helps, but at some point there's a cut point of diminishing returns of investing $X at age 18 versus the value of that degree. Not sure where that number is but I"d but suprised if it's much more than 500K.
Invest that amount with a 5% rate you end up with around 2.2 million in 30 years

Invest that amount with a 5% rate you end up with around 2.2 million in 30 years

That's right.

But if the Ivy leage degree helped your yearly earnings be say 500K instead of 350K, then over 30 years (assuming you invest the difference) then it does pay off.

There's really no great way to study this and control for confounding variables as to what caused that pay bump (?was it the name of the degree or not?). Hard to know.

Reactions: ohio herd
Whatever happened to the good old days, when you could just use a politician family member to fake your degree?

I gotta admit, the way she holds that epipen turns me on...

And if inflation in thirty years stay similar to how what inflation did over the last thirty years, that $2.2 million would have purchasing power of just about $1 million (in today's money) in thirty years.

It's far better to take the significantly higher salary that these elite universities earn you since your salary almost always rises with inflation.

And if inflation in thirty years stay similar to how what inflation did over the last thirty years, that $2.2 million would have purchasing power of just about $1 million (in today's money) in thirty years.

It's far better to take the significantly higher salary that these elite universities earn you since your salary almost always rises with inflation.

I think 5% is a fair inflation adjusted estimate over a 30 year horizon (ie 7% return with a 2 % inflation rate).

I think it’s really hard to put a number on that Ivy League value though. May very well be “worth it” but it’s a gamble too and surely not a sure thing.

Hold on, I thought everybody has the SAME opportunity.
When you are born in this country you have won the lottery. Some to varying degrees but, you can reach unbelievable things. The Exact Same opportunity for everyone would be communism where all, except a chosen few, have the same miserable existence with no chance for advancement. Not here. Poor men have become very wealthy. Undecuated have become highly educated. This is the lottery of opportunity here.

God damn! That first sentence (or is iit a paragraph) is poorly written

When you are born in this country you have won the lottery. Some to varying degrees but, you can reach unbelievable things. The Exact Same opportunity for everyone would be communism where all, except a chosen few, have the same miserable existence with no chance for advancement. Not here. Poor men have become very wealthy. Undecuated have become highly educated. This is the lottery of opportunity here.

No, no, no.
Everybody has the SAME opportunity.

No I think he is saying not everyone has the opportunity to attend ITT Tech. You and your daughter are the fortunate ones.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT