ADVERTISEMENT

I just don’t understand

caliherd

Gold Buffalo
Gold Member
Feb 7, 2007
Dublin, Oh
These individuals who play on a U.S. Olympic team and don’t like the country. The latest is a sprinter who will be in Paris with the U.S. Olympic team and he’s favored to win the gold. But he’s representing the U.S. with a heavy heart because it’s so hard to be black in America.

I mean I get it you feel like the U.S. sucks and you feel it’s hard to be black in America. That’s fine if you feel that way but don’t be on a U.S. team representing the U.S. internationally. represent Same with the women’s soccer team. Unfortunately theres several more those are just 2 examples. If you hate the country, Why do you represent the U.S. and take the money that representing the U.S. affords you. I don’t get it.

I don’t get it.
Not to sound like a smartass, but that's how the Olympics works, you can't compete as a free agent. What else are you going to do?

Hell, sometimes people use the Olympics to defect lol. I don't think they love their country.

I'm sure it's nice and all if one loves their country and feels like they are competing for their country, but I'm sure the vast majority of athletes are competing for themselves when it comes right down to it, to prove you are the best. At least the really good ones are, I'm sure some are just happy to be there. Maybe team sports are different. I don't know, I was never good enough to even think about being a Olympian at anything lol.

I don't know, I was never good enough to even think about being a Olympian at anything lol.
i probly coulda been on the rifle team. at one time i could shoot the eye out of a deer at 150 yards in the dark. game warden didn't like it too much, 30 days house arrest for that one. "that's one helluva shot . . . sure, go ahead and finish your beer."

• Haha
Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
i probly coulda been on the rifle team. at one time i could shoot the eye out of a deer at 150 yards in the dark. game warden didn't like it too much, 30 days house arrest for that one. "that's one helluva shot . . . sure, go ahead and finish your beer."
Should have gone to WVU instead. Might not have gotten in trouble with wild red heads there….

• Haha
Reactions: WV-FAN
These individuals who play on a U.S. Olympic team and don’t like the country. The latest is a sprinter who will be in Paris with the U.S. Olympic team and he’s favored to win the gold. But he’s representing the U.S. with a heavy heart because it’s so hard to be black in America.

I mean I get it you feel like the U.S. sucks and you feel it’s hard to be black in America. That’s fine if you feel that way but don’t be on a U.S. team representing the U.S. internationally. represent Same with the women’s soccer team. Unfortunately theres several more those are just 2 examples. If you hate the country, Why do you represent the U.S. and take the money that representing the U.S. affords you. I don’t get it.
How would he have felt representing America in the 50s when democrats were still knee deep in Jim Crow?

rob gronkowski GIF

Not to sound like a smartass, but that's how the Olympics works, you can't compete as a free agent. What else are you going to do?

Hell, sometimes people use the Olympics to defect lol. I don't think they love their country.

I'm sure it's nice and all if one loves their country and feels like they are competing for their country, but I'm sure the vast majority of athletes are competing for themselves when it comes right down to it, to prove you are the best. At least the really good ones are, I'm sure some are just happy to be there. Maybe team sports are different. I don't know, I was never good enough to even think about being an Olympian at anything lol.
That is absolutely not true at all. We had an American born woman compete on the Russian basketball team a few Olympics back. If an athlete can prove lineage, or simply obtain dual citizenship, they can compete for other countries.

The issue is that the guy wants the best training and the most money, so he runs for a country he hates.

That is absolutely not true at all. We had an American born woman compete on the Russian basketball team a few Olympics back. If an athlete can prove lineage, or simply obtain dual citizenship, they can compete for other countries.

The issue is that the guy wants the best training and the most money, so he runs for a country he hates.
That woman had no ancestoral link to Russia, obtained Russian citizenship, got paid $2m by a Russian basketball team, and was pretty much called a traitor by the American coach.

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN30505308/

So sure, this dude can do all that....and then we would have a thread here calling him a traitor...and I'd likely agree with that assessment.

The Olympics are the WrestleMania of track and field. The Superbowl. Why the hell would any world-class athlete skip that?
Because he hates his country? I don't know, though. I guess his "principles" take a back seat to making a name for himself in service of the all-mighty dollar. Because that's the end goal, right? He wants to compete at the highest possible level so he can cash in on it, right? Good on him then, I suppose.

Because he hates his country? I don't know, though. I guess his "principles" take a back seat to making a name for himself in service of the all-mighty dollar. Because that's the end goal, right? He wants to compete at the highest possible level so he can cash in on it, right? Good on him then, I suppose.
I mean, this is pretty much all professional athletes these days. Show me the money. Hell, it's college athletes now too. I can't blame them.

spongebob squarepants interview GIF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT