ADVERTISEMENT

I Know it's Early But . . .

Just stop. Youre making yourself look foolish. Martin inherited a program that went 4-8, 4-8, and 0-12 the three seasons prior to his hiring. The light finally came on for HIS players the second half of last season. Barring some disaster, I doubt he has another losing season before he leaves Oxford.

OK, we get it, TC98. You're rooting for the Redskins, Deadskins, little Cryami on September 2 just to prove your point on the two head coaches. Now that that's out, just go away. You've established your bromance for Martin!!

Reactions: Herd Fever
What are you talking about? I swear, posting on this board is like trying to talk astrophysics with a bunch of kindergartners. There is a mentality that if you arent pumping sunshine, you are somehow anti-Marshall. Thats ridiculous and, frankly, bullsh*t. I HATE miami. Probably more than that team up north. I do, however, think Martin is a helluva coach. Just like I think Doc is a mediocre one. I hope we win by 10 touchdowns. Even if we do, it wont change the fact that Martin is a good coach.

What are you talking about? I swear, posting on this board is like trying to talk astrophysics with a bunch of kindergartners. There is a mentality that if you arent pumping sunshine, you are somehow anti-Marshall. Thats ridiculous and, frankly, bullsh*t. I HATE miami. Probably more than that team up north. I do, however, think Martin is a helluva coach. Just like I think Doc is a mediocre one. I hope we win by 10 touchdowns. Even if we do, it wont change the fact that Martin is a good coach.

If Marshall beats miami...

Would that make Doc a good coach then? I mean, we knock the schedule but good coaches have emerged from C-USA as well as the MAC.

Reactions: Herd Fever
And your opinion that Martin is a helluva coach and Doc is terrible will not change the fact that on September 2 the former will be on the Miami sidelines and the latter on the Herd sidelines, despite the fact that you wish otherwise. And as of now each coach's record as a head coach in FBS certainly doesn't support your opinion, asinine as it is!!

You people are idiots. He was still head coach at GVS when Doc was hired. If you dont think we could poach a head coach from a D-II school, Im not sure what to tell you. Besides there was some interest if I recall correctly, and we didnt even interview the guy. Thats the trouble with the "good ol boy" nepotism system - you tend to not even look at, much less hire, the best candidates.
Your clueless.

Reactions: ToesMU
You're comparing apples and dump trucks. First, Doc came in to a better situation than Martin. Second, it is much easier to recruit and buiId a successful team at Marshall than little miami.

I agree that it's unlikely Martin will win 30+ games in 3 seasons.. What IS likely is he reels off a 10 or 11 win season or two and gets poached by some bigger school looking for an experienced, successful head coach.

The guy won back-to-back National Championships and was the OC for a ND team that went 12-0 and played for a National Championship. To pretend Doc is even close to his level is laughable.

NO HE DIDN'T! There were some good players but the team he inherited had won 22 games in 5 years and only 13 the previous three. The roster also was not built to play a spread offensive scheme and defensive scheme based on speed and the first 3 years was a constant square pegs in round holes scenario, and Doc also purged a large portion of the roster to the point where only a 3rd of the roster was Snyder recruits by 2011. He kept the good Snyder recruits that could fit the schemes and follow his rules. By the 2012 team Doc had laid the foundations for 2013-2015 by building a young and talented team that ultimately just needed a new DC to take off. The 2012 team only contained 15 Snyder recruits and only 12 of the 52 in the 2-deep were Snyder recruits. We lost 34 scholarship players from the 2015 team plus 5 more during the 2016 season and that lead to a lack of depth and experience on the team. Then you add in a ton of injuries on the OL where our best two OLs missed most of the season with both being 1st team all-conference players and the result was a disaster in 2016. 2017 is a new season with a bunch of talent new players added to the team so let just wait and see how things go before casting stones. Final assessment, Doc has done a solid job of re-building the program overall if you look at the big picture and don't just dwell on one bad season where everything went wrong.

Pd, it seems Doc purges the roster just about every year. He inherited a team coming off a bowl win. He inherited a team that had won 22 games in 5 years playing a much harder conference schedule than Doc has ever played and a generally much tougher non conference schedule.

Doc has done three things that have kept him from being a total failure to this point:

1. Signed Rakeem Cato
2. Finally fired Rippon and hired Heater
3. Took advantage of a weakened schedule by generally beating the really horrid teams (until last year).

I hate to think what his record would be if we were still in a conference with Houston, UCF, Tulsa, Memphis, etc. instead of Charlotte, UNT, FIU, FAU, etc.

Pd, it seems Doc purges the roster just about every year. He inherited a team coming off a bowl win. He inherited a team that had won 22 games in 5 years playing a much harder conference schedule than Doc has ever played and a generally much tougher non conference schedule.

Doc has done three things that have kept him from being a total failure to this point:

1. Signed Rakeem Cato
2. Finally fired Rippon and hired Heater
3. Took advantage of a weakened schedule by generally beating the really horrid teams (until last year).

I hate to think what his record would be if we were still in a conference with Houston, UCF, Tulsa, Memphis, etc. instead of Charlotte, UNT, FIU, FAU, etc.

2010 was his first season, so I give ANY coach a pass...even if there's success.

In 2011, he finished 2nd in the East. Victories over Louisville, Southern Miss (Ended the season ranked 20th), Memphis, and ECU (among a few other wins). Houston and Tulsa killed us. But we won game 7 with a bowl game win in St. Petersburg.

In 2012 he finished 4-4 in the conference with wins over Memphis and Houston,. Tulsa was a close loss and ucf was just a disaster...2 of those met in the conference championship game, Tulsa vs. ucf, and Memphis and Houston finished with the same/worse records than Marshall did. So I don't really know what you're trying to argue here.

2013 was when the conference was shaken up but was still competitive. We lost 1 conference game. Went to Rice, lost there in the conference championship. Among wins was against ECU in an absolute massacre for their final game at The Joan and in C-USA. 10-4 record overall.

2014, well...we all know that season.

2015, was a step backwards but certainly not a disaster. We beat UConn in the bowl.

2016...well...that was awful.

So his record against the likes of Houston and Memphis are not all bad. ucf would have been interesting because they had a HORRIBLE year in 2015. I think we would have at least been more competitive in those games as well. Tulsa? Well...toss up, but in 2016, we'd be beat bad. 2014 we'da have killed them. 2015 they probably beat us. 2013 we crush them.

Yeah, Doc is like 12-27 against teams that finish the season better than .500 and 41-10 against sub .500 teams and FCS. It's sad that arguably his two biggest regular season wins occurred almost 6 years ago (USM and Louisville in 2011) when he was still playing with a Snyder player heavy team. If you recall, Vinny won the USM game almost single-handily.

You would think that with Doc's world renown recruiting ability the achievements would increase over time.

Reactions: mufan08
Yeah, Doc is like 12-27 against teams that finish the season better than .500 and 41-10 against sub .500 teams and FCS. It's sad that arguably his two biggest regular season wins occurred almost 6 years ago (USM and Louisville in 2011) when he was still playing with a Snyder player heavy team. If you recall, Vinny won the USM game almost single-handily.

You would think that with Doc's world renown recruiting ability the achievements would increase over time.

Agree, also considering we take just about any prop out there when most schools don't take them or severely limit them. Huge advantage for us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT