ADVERTISEMENT

I need some dress shoes that are comfortable. I don't care if they look like sneakers.

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
Any recommendations? I have to go to a stupid conference that I flew under the radar of laid low and got out of 6 years. Don't ask me how but, I did. I have to got his year. I need some shoes that won't kill my feet, knees, and back.

I might just say F it and wear my damn running shoes. But, what are some options?

Any recommendations? I have to go to a stupid conference that I flew under the radar of laid low and got out of 6 years. Don't ask me how but, I did. I have to got his year. I need some shoes that won't kill my feet, knees, and back.

I might just say F it and wear my damn running shoes. But, what are some options?
Altra Torin 5

Altras are really comfortable in my book. The black ones can pass as dress shoes I think

I go with Olu Kai brand for casual, dress, winter, beach, and outside on the porch. Waiting for them to come out with some yardwork shoes, and maybe even some steel toed boots. I buy insoles separately and my feet are ready to get down to some Buck Owens.
Herdman wants to look straight

Personal pet peeve but I HATE the hybrid sneaker/dress shoe look. Seems it's all the rage now.

What is your budget?

When you say "dress shoes" are you wearing suits or khakis and a golf shirt?

I typically prefer Goodyear welted shoes so they can be re soled. Allen Edmons and sometimes J Crew have some good ones. I don't mind Johnston and Murphy but in my experience they wear down WWWAYY faster than my J crew or Edmonds.

Reactions: i am herdman
I respect that Doc hates the look but these Peter Millar (admittedly I’m a complete PM snob) dress casuals are the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever owned. They go well with khakis or jeans. I have a grey pair and a stone pair:

Those are good looking shoes. I’d consider them casual non sports shoes though.

I just wouldn’t wear them with a suit or with dress pants. Khakis /chinos fine. Just wasn’t sure if he meant like dress pants or what.

Things in the business world are more casual i seems but when I hear “dress shoes” I think of derby’s or something like this…

Last edited:
Reactions: i am herdman
Those are good looking shoes. I’d consider them casual non sports shoes though.

I just wouldn’t wear them with a suit or with dress pants. Khakis /chinos fine. Just wasn’t sure if he meant like dress pants or what.

Things in the business world are more casual i seems but when I hear “dress shoes” I think of derby’s or something like this…

Agree. These are not suit shoes. More of a khaki/jeans and polo/quarter zip fit.

For a suit I’d lean into something similar to what you just linked.

Someone mentioned Bostonian. I've had good luck with those in the past. Ecco is a decent brand that isn't too expensive. My current favorite brand of boots, dress shoes and casual shoes...

Someone mentioned Bostonian. I've had good luck with those in the past. Ecco is a decent brand that isn't too expensive. My current favorite brand of boots, dress shoes and casual shoes...

I have a pair of Ecco that have some kind of space age material for the sole because I swear the bottoms never seem to show signs of wear.

I have a pair of Ecco that have some kind of space age material for the sole because I swear the bottoms never seem to show signs of wear.
That’s because you go to and from the office on a rascal
Scooter GIF

Based on most of these shoe recommendations, I am able to determine that you guys don't get laid.

• Haha
Reactions: -CarlHungus-
Nearly all on here have secured a woman and don’t have to hunt anymore. Therefore we can wear cheaper, more comfortable shoes.

Reactions: 30CAT
We get laid, but not all of us are billionaires like you are. We're extremely jealous.
Nearly all on here have secured a woman and don’t have to hunt anymore. Therefore we can wear cheaper, more comfortable shoes.

I know enough married guys to know that isn't the case (the laid part). And in most cases there is a direct correlation between comfort of shoes and cost of shoes.

I'm not buying the flip flops sold on the beach for 1000 pesos outside of the Mexican resort that I just checked into (because ya' know, wealthy). I brought the aesthetically pleasing and comfortable Vince flops which will allow my feet to be in great shape for my foot massage tomorrow (because ya' know, wealthy) and will get the mamacitas lined up outside of my suite.

By the way, @WV-FAN: I think my penthouse porch at this resort is bigger than your 9000 square foot deck.

I know enough married guys to know that isn't the case (the laid part). And in most cases there is a direct correlation between comfort of shoes and cost of shoes.

I'm not buying the flip flops sold on the beach for 1000 pesos outside of the Mexican resort that I just checked into (because ya' know, wealthy). I brought the aesthetically pleasing and comfortable Vince flops which will allow my feet to be in great shape for my foot massage tomorrow (because ya' know, wealthy) and will get the mamacitas lined up outside of my suite.

By the way, @WV-FAN: I think my penthouse porch at this resort is bigger than your 9000 square foot deck.
pics please. I don't want to make it a contest, though, talking about who's got the biggest deck. I got to say, I never get any complaints about the size of my deck. I had a party the other weekend and several of the ladies that was here couldn't stop talking about the size of my deck. Hell, they stayed on it all night. there must have been 40 different people on my deck that night. when the party was about over and I was ready to crash later on, they still wouldn't get off of my deck.

I have a couple friends with really small decks, they're kind of embarrassed to show them after they've seen the size of mine. I told them to trim the bushes around their deck so it would make their deck look bigger. the wood on one guy's deck isn't as hard as it used to be. his deck is getting pretty old.

a man like you with money, though, you don't need a big deck. however, I got to warn you, if your deck is too small, people will slip off of it. that can cause a problem. the good thing though is you can do something about it. you can get some friends together and they can help you increase the size of it. us old fashioned guys aren't much in to having another guy touch our deck, but you youngsters probably don't mind too much to have other guys on your deck. all the same though, what's the point of having a big deck if you don't use it.

I am a bit flattered, though, with your obsession of my deck. if you are ever in the area, I would be happy to show you my deck.

Last edited:
I have 3 pairs of these boots that I rotate frequently. They go with anything from jeans to a suit. My favorite pair has a dark upper with the pecan lower (like the link preview), but it seems it's not available anymore. Once they're broken in, very comfortable and I have a size 13 EEEEE foot:

An ortho surgeon I'm close with would wear them in the OR and I'm like "no way." So I bought a pair and then several more after.

Based on most of these shoe recommendations, I am able to determine that you guys don't get laid.

He asked for comfortable dress shoes. Nobody does that better than Wolf and Shepherd. The lamb skin slide on dress shoes are my favorite, but they stopped selling them about a year ago for some reason.

They’re not cheap, but they’re worth the price for the comfort.

What do you guys think of these? I bought them. They are comfortable. Cole Haan.

2.ZEROGRAND%20LSR%20WING_e_A_C27879.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT