ADVERTISEMENT

I was so excited to watch the Herd this week until...

Greenis Envy

Green Buffalo
Aug 24, 2011
I found out that neither the UAB nor the MTSU game were currently scheduled to be televised! Any chance these games get picked up? And I don't mean "all access" or whatever, I mean a real television station. 1 vs. 2 on Thursday and 2 vs. 3 on Saturday, seems crazy to me and it's very disappointing.

I found out that neither the UAB nor the MTSU game were currently scheduled to be televised! Any chance these games get picked up? And I don't mean "all access" or whatever, I mean a real television station. 1 vs. 2 on Thursday and 2 vs. 3 on Saturday, seems crazy to me and it's very disappointing.
CUSA website says All Access only.

Idiots or unqualified at the switches

Really?

The TV games are picked, with trivial exceptions, before the season. CUSA (nor THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!! before we get off on beating that dead horse yet again) is not of a level where every single game is on TV. So, BEFORE the season the various networks picked games, including the ASN games, which are (mostly) funded by local ads. Before the season. This is not a league where all our games are going to be on TV, unlike WVU or UK or OSU. It is what it is.

So, have you gone to any MU game, coach's show or scoreboard advertiser and told them how much you appreciate them? Have you made a purchase and told the manager that he got your business because of MU? Have you called or emailed WCHS/WVAH in Charleston and told them you appreciate them? Have you made it clear to your cable company that ASN, and CBSSN are 100% necessary for them to keep your business?

And have you told WV businesses that ONLY advertise on WVU games to kiss your Marshall a** ?

If you want more MU games on TV, there is only one way to get that done. And that is make sure the local businesses know how much response it is getting them.

Reactions: pj(HN)
Really?

The TV games are picked, with trivial exceptions, before the season. CUSA (nor THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!! before we get off on beating that dead horse yet again) is not of a level where every single game is on TV. So, BEFORE the season the various networks picked games, including the ASN games, which are (mostly) funded by local ads. Before the season. This is not a league where all our games are going to be on TV, unlike WVU or UK or OSU. It is what it is.

So, have you gone to any MU game, coach's show or scoreboard advertiser and told them how much you appreciate them? Have you made a purchase and told the manager that he got your business because of MU? Have you called or emailed WCHS/WVAH in Charleston and told them you appreciate them? Have you made it clear to your cable company that ASN, and CBSSN are 100% necessary for them to keep your business?

And have you told WV businesses that ONLY advertise on WVU games to kiss your Marshall a** ?

If you want more MU games on TV, there is only one way to get that done. And that is make sure the local businesses know how much response it is getting them.

Actually, I believe the American's contract does call for every conference game to be televised although the last option is ESPN3/WatchESPN, personally I'd be pretty happy if the MU v UAB game were on E3, I know I'd be watching.

Reactions: MARSHALL77
tel·e·vise
(tĕl′ə-vīz′)
tr. & intr.v. tel·e·vised, tel·e·vis·ing, tel·e·vis·es
To broadcast or be broadcast by television.

In·ter·net
also in·ter·net (ĭn′tər-nĕt′)
n.
A publicly accessible system of networks that connects computers around the world via the TCP/IP protocol.

Reactions: 19MU88
tel·e·vise
(tĕl′ə-vīz′)
tr. & intr.v. tel·e·vised, tel·e·vis·ing, tel·e·vis·es
To broadcast or be broadcast by television.

In·ter·net
also in·ter·net (ĭn′tər-nĕt′)
n.
A publicly accessible system of networks that connects computers around the world via the TCP/IP protocol.
But as we all know, with Apple TV, Roku and other streaming devices a computer is no longer the only or even preferred way of watching Netflix, Hulu, WatchESPN, etc., and it is the same experience on your big screen as cable so the "Webster" definition has been blurred.............particularly when you consider that many television broadcast and cablecasts are today deliver on the backhaul to the station or cable system by video over IP devices. The line has been so blurred, that for most of you with DirecTV, your OnDemand choices are actually delivered to your "box" via a streaming device. So in this instance, Black is no longer just black and white just white, truly the grey is the "new" black as TV watching becomes more and more hybridized.

And by the way Sam, using your definition of televise as simply broadcast by a television station, then CNN, FoxSport1, CBSSN, etc are not televising games, they only cablecast them. The hairsplitting is getting much finer these days.

Perhaps we should broaden the definition (as conference contract do) to being available on multiple screens in your home.

Reactions: Trebel06
I would take ESPN3 quality broadcasts anyday over no TV. It is so easy to put on the TV from a computer, Roku, etc. Occasionally I have picked up an All Access broadcast in decent quality. I guess it depends on the quality of equipment. The down side is the "homer" broadcast.

CUSA should have also had some wildcard games for late in the season to put on TV instead of a set schedule.

I would take ESPN3 quality broadcasts anyday over no TV. It is so easy to put on the TV from a computer, Roku, etc. Occasionally I have picked up an All Access broadcast in decent quality. I guess it depends on the quality of equipment. The down side is the "homer" broadcast.

CUSA should have also had some wildcard games for late in the season to put on TV instead of a set schedule.
It depends mostly on how the video is uploaded from site and how the data stream is accessed, many internet feeds from schools are uploaded through a computer that uploads them much like you would upload a picture to a site...... the better the upload speed and "bit rate" the better the final product. Much of E3's telecasts are backhauled by satellite or by devices made by LTN or Fijitsu that upload to the data stream at a much higher rate...... also why ASN's streaming looks so good when on E3 or on those occasions when they stream a game, virtually all ASN telecasts are uploaded by LTN, then uplinked to satellite for distribution....... a unique was of backhauling that cuts transmission costs dramatically.

Perhaps we should broaden the definition (as conference contract do) to being available on multiple screens in your home.

Maybe so, but we still end up back at my original point, which is somebody has to pay the freight, and that somebody is advertisers. Which is why ALL Marshall fans should make a point of thanking and patronizing MU advertisers as often as possible. If you want more games, on real TV or computers or whatever, the way you get that is to make the current ad buyers feel like they are getting a good value, and getting more companies, especially local businesses, in the deal.

So aside from All Access there is no way to watch the Number 1 and 2 teams in CUSA play in a college basketball game that has huge impact on the league's winner and on tourney seeding as we come down the stretch? Ugh!

But as we all know, with Apple TV, Roku and other streaming devices a computer is no longer the only or even preferred way of watching Netflix, Hulu, WatchESPN, etc., and it is the same experience on your big screen as cable so the "Webster" definition has been blurred.............particularly when you consider that many television broadcast and cablecasts are today deliver on the backhaul to the station or cable system by video over IP devices. The line has been so blurred, that for most of you with DirecTV, your OnDemand choices are actually delivered to your "box" via a streaming device. So in this instance, Black is no longer just black and white just white, truly the grey is the "new" black as TV watching becomes more and more hybridized.

And by the way Sam, using your definition of televise as simply broadcast by a television station, then CNN, FoxSport1, CBSSN, etc are not televising games, they only cablecast them. The hairsplitting is getting much finer these days.

100% agree. I was a holdover and against ESPN3, but after buying an Amazon FireStick, I'm a complete convert.

Any insight into the new TV deal, DShoe? More streaming is a MUST for CUSA. Wish we'd do an app to make access to the feeds better. Moreover, the streaming feeds themselves need to be better.

I have no problem with the quality of the CUSA All Access feeds as far as quality goes. I just wish that ALL conference games were on there. I certainly get my money's worth. I have however, had to miss a couple Herd games this year.
I watch many Herd women's games on there as well. As I write this I'm watching the CUSA Indoor Track Championships. It, in fact, is free to everyone.

Maybe so, but we still end up back at my original point, which is somebody has to pay the freight, and that somebody is advertisers. Which is why ALL Marshall fans should make a point of thanking and patronizing MU advertisers as often as possible. If you want more games, on real TV or computers or whatever, the way you get that is to make the current ad buyers feel like they are getting a good value, and getting more companies, especially local businesses, in the deal.

Always a good idea to express your appreciation to the local sponsors!!!!!

Bottom line: This game should be available on TV for fans! It is a quality game that has fallen through the cracks. Sam, you won't like this point, but it is simply true....in leagues like the AAC, A10 or even the MAC or CAA, this game would be available AT LEAST in a high quality stream using an easily accessed, no cost portal. That is a simple fact.

Reactions: jocktalker
Always a good idea to express your appreciation to the local sponsors!!!!!

Bottom line: This game should be available on TV for fans! It is a quality game that has fallen through the cracks. Sam, you won't like this point, but it is simply true....in leagues like the AAC, A10 or even the MAC or CAA, this game would be available AT LEAST in a high quality stream using an easily accessed, no cost portal. That is a simple fact.

As dshoe states all the CAA games are streamed live, it is ridiculous how behind the times this conference is. In fact, even the Southern conference streams all games live, do we have any leadership at all?

As dshoe states all the CAA games are streamed live, it is ridiculous how behind the times this conference is. In fact, even the Southern conference streams all games live, do we have any leadership at all?

Well, hopefully, some (many) who are closer to MH have or will express these concerns to him. Surely, he and a few other conference ADs are astute enough to note this glaring oversight/flaw, and will point it out to the conference's new Commissioner. Hopefully, something can be done to rectify this situation by the 2016-17 season and bring CUSA on par with contemporaries in the SoCon and Colonial (sarcasm intended).!!

Well, hopefully, some (many) who are closer to MH have or will express these concerns to him. Surely, he and a few other conference ADs are astute enough to note this glaring oversight/flaw, and will point it out to the conference's new Commissioner. Hopefully, something can be done to rectify this situation by the 2016-17 season and bring CUSA on par with contemporaries in the SoCon and Colonial (sarcasm intended).!!
Most conference games are streamed. They just aren't free. Tonight and Saturday are examples.

in leagues like the AAC, A10 or even the MAC or CAA, this game would be available AT LEAST in a high quality stream using an easily accessed, no cost portal.

WatchESPN / ESPN3 , Fox Sports Go, and NBC Live Extra are not, to be fair, "no cost". They are all password protected and you have to either be a subscriber to a cable/dish company that includes access in your package, or pay for it directly. ESPN, et al, don't give anything away.

But, yeah, CUSA needs to step up it computer network. I'm sure it will be a part of the next TV contract.

Hi guys! Congrats on a great season. I noticed some were discussing ESPN3. Like many I use to think it was a joke until I spent $60 and bought my Roku. Because of the MAC's ESPN deal I have been able to watch every single OU away game along with any home games that I couldn't make the trip to Athens. Not only has it been nice for the men's games but I have actually watched probably more than half of the women's games. Digital media is the future and a wonderful thing. The American Network and Time Warner Sports Network also produce games but the games are still made available via ESPN 3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT